SR Rd6: Hurricanes V Blues Match Thread.

All things Rugby
kiwidutchie

SR Rd6: Hurricanes V Blues Match Thread.

Post by kiwidutchie »

Date: Sat March 7

Kickoff: 7:05 pm NZDT.

Venue: Sky Stadium

Teams:

Team News: No new injuries from last week. Ardie still recovering from surgery, but making progress. No word on Dane Coles and his calf strain, but this is not thought to be serious. Garden-Bachop has a hand injury, but no idea what bearing this will have on who plays at 10.

15 Stephen Perofeta, 14 Joe Marchant, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 TJ Faiane, 11 Mark Telea, 10 Otere Black, 9 Sam Nock, 8 Akira Ioane, 7 Blake Gibson, 6 Tom Robinson, 5 Jacob Pierce, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu (c), 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 2 Kurt Eklund, 1 Karl Tu’inukuafe
Replacements: 16 James Parsons, 17 Ezekiel Lindenmuth, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 20 Tony Lamborn, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Matt Duffie

Team News. No major injuries from last week, however, the big news is will Beauden play or won't he? Word is he's bored shitless on his sabbatical and is keen for a run. This would certainly add something to the game!

Referees:

Referee Mike Fraser
AR1 Rasta Rasivhenge
AR2 Brendon Pickerill
TMO Shane McDermott

Well folks. This NZ Derby just got interesting!

Coming of a win against the previously undefeated Stormers, the Blues jet back to NZ, and make the trip to Wellington to take on the Canes, who were well beaten by the Stormers in Round 1, but have improved week on week.

The big talking point this week will be Beauden Barrett. Is he poised to make an early return? Will he start? Will he come off the bench? Is he rusty? Is it just gamesmanship?

By their own admission, the Stormers had a bad game, but the Blues played well. Perofeta at 15 seems a great fit.

The canes are finding their groove as well. Aso and Laumape are as destructive a center paring as you will find. Jordie will start at 15. Lam will be at 11, but 14? Goosen or Wan Wyk?

This is going to be a great game for the punters.
Last edited by kiwidutchie on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sonny Blount

Re: SR Rd6: Hurricanes V Blues Match Thread.

Post by Sonny Blount »

A fit Goosen will start at 14, Wan Wyk is not close yet.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sonny Blount wrote:A fit Goosen will start at 14, Wan Wyk is not close yet.
I thought he showed as much promise last week as Goosen has shown in his entire career for the Hurricanes.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

From a neutral really looking forward to this!

FYI BB will not play, he is looking at coming back for the return round 11 fixture at Eden park on 11th April.
deverix

Post by deverix »

kiwidutchie wrote:Date: Sat March 7

Kickoff: 7:05 pm NZDT.

Venue: Sky Stadium

Teams:

To Be Confirmed.

Team News: No new injuries from last week. Ardie still recovering from surgery, but making progress. No word on Dane Coles and his calf strain, but this is not thought to be serious. Garden-Bachop has a hand injury, but no idea what bearing this will have on who plays at 10.

To Be Confirmed.

Team News. No major injuries from last week, however, the big news is will Beauden play or won't he? Word is he's bored shitless on his sabbatical and is keen for a run. This would certainly add something to the game!

Referees:

To be Confirmed:

Well folks. This NZ Derby just got interesting!

Coming of a win against the previously undefeated Stormers, the Blues jet back to NZ, and make the trip to Wellington to take on the Canes, who were well beaten by the Stormers in Round 1, but have improved week on week.

The big talking point this week will be Beauden Barrett. Is he poised to make an early return? Will he start? Will he come off the bench? Is he rusty? Is it just gamesmanship?

By their own admission, the Stormers had a bad game, but the Blues played well. Perofeta at 15 seems a great fit.

The canes are finding their groove as well. Aso and Laumape are as destructive a center paring as you will find. Jordie will start at 15. Lam will be at 11, but 14? Goosen or Wan Wyk?

This is going to be a great game for the punters.
Is Perofeta really a better fullback than Duffie?
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

JPNZ wrote:From a neutral really looking forward to this!

FYI BB will not play, he is looking at coming back for the return round 11 fixture at Eden park on 11th April.
True that. He has not met return to play protocols as yet.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Game of the round. Usually you'd think home advantage would sway this in the Canes favour, but the Blues are 3/3 on the road this year...
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

TAB has Canes at $1.54 and Blues at $2.45 head to head.

Sounds about right.
uncoded

Post by uncoded »

kiwidutchie wrote:TAB has Canes at $1.54 and Blues at $2.45 head to head.

Sounds about right.
I thought the Blues would be the overwhelming favourites for this one..
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
I thought he showed as much promise last week as Goosen has shown in his entire career for the Hurricanes.
Sniff!
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Opposition matters.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

My only visit to the Caketin was in March 2004 for an exciting 26 all draw between the Hurricanes and the defending champs, the Blues. 31,000 people attended that game and NZ rugby was in rude health. 16 years later I wonder if they'll even get 15k through the gates. I suspect if Beauden Barrett was playing the crowd would be a sell out. The boffins at the NZRU really screwed this up.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Opposition matters.
Yep, insert any Kiwi wing in there for that match and we'd be celebrating their performance. It's bonkers that NZ of all countries, and the Canes of all franchises would import a wing. By bonkers I mean fucking retarded and the Canes and NZR need a slap for allowing it to happen.
Sprig

Post by Sprig »

One of our best wingers was an 'import' so... meh.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Referee Mike Fraser
AR1 Rasta Rasivhenge
AR2 Brendon Pickerill
TMO Shane McDermott
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Sprig wrote:One of our best wingers was an 'import' so... meh.
Who?
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Opposition matters.
Yep, insert any Kiwi wing in there for that match and we'd be celebrating their performance. It's bonkers that NZ of all countries, and the Canes of all franchises would import a wing. By bonkers I mean fucking retarded and the Canes and NZR need a slap for allowing it to happen.
Both Goosen and Van Wyk play midfield and wing, so either would be a handy bench player.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

I reckons the Canes will run on with the following:

Armstrong
Coles
Lomax
Scrafton
Walker-Leawere
Fifita
Kirifi
Evans

Perenara
Smith
Lam
Laumape
Aso
Goosen
Barrett.

Reserves:
Numia
May
Aumua
Blackwell
Prinsep (if fit)
Booth
Marshall
Van Wyk
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

kiwidutchie wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Opposition matters.
Both Goosen and Van Wyk play midfield and wing, so either would be a handy bench player.
Even though I'm not a fan of Goosen (can't say I've seen him play midfield) he's a Kiwi qualified player so no issues with him being in the squad and on the bench/starting.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

The big question will be who will party harder after the game?
Rieko or Jordie
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Cullen wrote:The big question will be who will party harder after the game?
Rieko or Jordie
Either way it will just be boys being boys if it's Jordie and a full scale meltdown if it's Rieko, and god forbid if someone sees Akira eating anything other than a thin stick of cucumber.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

mrbrownstone wrote:Game of the round. Usually you'd think home advantage would sway this in the Canes favour, but the Blues are 3/3 on the road this year...
That's one way of looking at it. They're also 0-2 against NZ opposition, both at home.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

booji boy wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:Game of the round. Usually you'd think home advantage would sway this in the Canes favour, but the Blues are 3/3 on the road this year...
That's one way of looking at it. They're also 0-2 against NZ opposition, both at home.
:nod: yep

For the Blues to be taken as anything more than a flash in the pan this season, they need to put away a few NZ teams.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

UncleFB wrote:
Who?

Lome Fa'atau?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Sonny Blount wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Who?

Lome Fa'atau?
I don't think a NZer who plays for PI really counts as an import? There's a distinction also between tier 2 (PIs etc) and our direct tier 1 opposition.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

kiwidutchie wrote:I reckons the Canes will run on with the following:

Armstrong
Coles
Lomax
Scrafton
Walker-Leawere
Fifita
Kirifi
Evans

Perenara
Smith
Lam
Laumape
Aso
Goosen
Barrett.

Reserves:
Numia
May
Aumua
Blackwell
Prinsep (if fit)
Booth
Marshall
Van Wyk
The coaches seem to have a hard-on for Blackwell, so unfortunately, I reckon he will start.

I'd like to see more of Devon Flanders.

I also think Garden-Bachop will start if fit.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Ted. wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:I reckons the Canes will run on with the following:

Armstrong
Coles
Lomax
Scrafton
Walker-Leawere
Fifita
Kirifi
Evans

Perenara
Smith
Lam
Laumape
Aso
Goosen
Barrett.

Reserves:
Numia
May
Aumua
Blackwell
Prinsep (if fit)
Booth
Marshall
Van Wyk
The coaches seem to have a hard-on for Blackwell, so unfortunately, I reckon he will start.

I'd like to see more of Devon Flanders.

I also think Garden-Bachop will start if fit.
The word is that Prinsep is still linjured, so Flanders should be on the bench.

Garden Bachop is out for a few weeks, so Smith should get the nod.

Van Wyk to start.
Couch

Post by Couch »

It's the Blues. They'll find a way to fudge up their season.
uncoded

Post by uncoded »

Couch wrote:
Last year I would agree.. but because this year the Highlanders are a much lower quality team I'm confident the Blues can win both of their derby games against them.

A playoff spot for the Blues as the wildcard team behind the Hurricanes is guaranteed in 2020.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

uncoded wrote:
Couch wrote:
Last year I would agree.. but because this year the Highlanders are a much lower quality team I'm confident the Blues can win both of their derby games against them.

A playoff spot for the Blues as the wildcard team behind the Hurricanes is guaranteed in 2020.
Nothing is guaranteed with the Blues!
uncoded

Post by uncoded »

https://rugbyredefined.com/wp/super-rug ... y-stadium/

Van Wyk named on the right wing, Goosen benched.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

uncoded wrote:https://rugbyredefined.com/wp/super-rug ... y-stadium/

Van Wyk named on the right wing, Goosen benched.

Piffle.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Blues:

15 Stephen Perofeta, 14 Joe Marchant, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 TJ Faiane, 11 Mark Telea, 10 Otere Black, 9 Sam Nock; 8 Akira Ioane, 7 Blake Gibson, 6 Tom Robinson, 5 Jacob Pierce, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu ©, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 2 Kurt Eklund, 1 Karl Tu’inukuafe.

Reserves: 16 James Parsons, 17 Ezekiel Lindenmuth, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 20 Tony Lamborn, 21 Jonathan Ruru, 22 Harry Plummer, 23 Matt Duffie.

Reckon the Blues have a better tight 5. Loose forwards pretty even. Canes edge the halves thanks to TJ. Midfield & outside backs probably go to the Canes, but it's close.

I think this will be tight, with the Blues doing their usual second half/last quarter fade against NZ opposition.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Vince Aso will play his 50th game for the Hurricanes they get ready to face the Blues at Sky Stadium on Saturday.

The Wellington-based Super Rugby team has made just two changes to its starting line-up, following a massive 62 – 15 win against the Sunwolves in Napier.

Jordie Barrett coming back into the fold as fullback will be the only change made to the backline.

Up front, Isaia Walker-Leawere gets the nod at lock ahead of James Blackwell who will start the game on the bench.

Head coach, Jason Holland, says management is spoilt for choice when it comes to selection.

“We have a competitive squad, with a lot of depth. When we sit down early in the week to discuss the line-up, we’re always faced with a challenge around who we pick and it’s natural that one or two will be disappointed.”

TJ Perenara will once again take the role of captain, with Dane Coles named in the side but on the bench.

Kobus Van Wyk has his second chance to shine at right wing, after a triumphant debut which saw him score three tries last weekend.

His strength and speed are things Holland hopes to utilise this weekend.

“If we can get our attacking game operating like it was last week, it should be quite an exciting game to watch. We cannot underestimate the Blues. They have some big boys up front and their defensive capability is solid. “

The first NZ derby clash this week, coincides with the theme of Mana Moana – a celebration of Pacific and Maori culture alongside players past and present.

Du’Plessis Kirifi, says it makes being selected to start as flanker even more special.

“We’ve had some tough games but there’s nothing like playing another NZ team. They’re big, they’re physical and there’s a lot on the line each time we step on the field. It’s an added bonus knowing we’ll be celebrating our Pacific and Maori culture this week as well. I Can’t wait to run out under those lights in the yellow jersey.”

The fans will also be treated to cultural performances, lei giveaways, moko painting and other Maori and Pacific celebrations.

Join the Hurricanes at Sky Stadium for Mana Moana Night on Saturday March 7 to celebrate our Maori and Pacific culture when the Blues come to town. Adults from $23.50 or 1 Adult & 1 Child in the Bluebridge Family Zone just $30.

Click HERE to secure your tickets!

The Hurricanes team to take on the Blues at Sky Stadium is:

15 Jordie Barrett

14 Kobus Van Wyk

13 Vince Aso

12 Ngani Laumape

11 Ben Lam

10 Fletcher Smith

9 TJ Perenara [C]

8 Gareth Evans

7 Du’Plessis Kirifi

6 Vaea Fifita

5 Scott Scrafton

4 Isaia Walker-Leawere

3 Tyrel Lomax

2 Asafo Aumua

1 Xavier Numia

Reserves

16 Dane Coles

17 Pouri Rakete-Stones

18 Alex Fidow

19 James Blackwell

20 Devan Flanders

21 Jamie Booth

22 Billy Proctor

23 Wes Goosen
https://www.hurricanes.co.nz/news/artic ... 3Ok16QWekE
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

kiwidutchie wrote:
JPNZ wrote:From a neutral really looking forward to this!

True that. He has not met return to play protocols as yet.
Coastal have confirmed Barrett will turn out for the Rahotu club when they tackle Taranaki senior rugby rivals Southern on April 4.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Something that passed rather undiscussed last week (at least I haven't seen any discussion) was Reiko Ioanes selection at centre something that is set to continue this week. What does everyone think of that and how does it affect his AB selection chances?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

booji boy wrote:Something that passed rather undiscussed last week (at least I haven't seen any discussion) was Reiko Ioanes selection at centre something that is set to continue this week. What does everyone think of that and how does it affect his AB selection chances?

Goodhue better watch out.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Blues: Stephen Perofeta, Joe Marchant, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Mark Telea, Otere Black, Sam Nock; Akira Ioane, Blake Gibson, Tom Robinson, Jacob Pierce, Patrick Tuipulotu (capt), Ofa Tuungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Karl Tu'inukuafe. Reserves: James Parsons, Ezekiel LIndenmuth, Sione Mafileo, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Tony Lamborn, Jonathan Ruru, Harry Plummer, Matt Duffie.

Akira is back!(Hoskins Sotutu is being rested by the Blues this week).

Blake Gibson also starts (Dalton Papalii has an enforced All Black rest)
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

booji boy wrote:Something that passed rather undiscussed last week (at least I haven't seen any discussion) was Reiko Ioanes selection at centre something that is set to continue this week. What does everyone think of that and how does it affect his AB selection chances?
I think there's a bigger logjam at than centre than at wing.

On the left wing he's second choice behind Bridge, and could very easily get back to being first choice if he finds his best form. Realistically I don't see much other competition for that spot with BLam heading off shore, and Telea & Nareki both being very green. Alaimalo is probably the only other left winger in the picture.

In the centres he's stuck behind Goodhue, ALB, Laumape, and probably Ennor at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they considered Jordie at centre before him too, and personally I would sooner select someone like Rob Thompson.

The only way I see it benefitting him is adding versatility to secure a bench role. TJP covering 9 + DMac covering 10 & 15 + Reiko covering 11, 13, and 14 is a potentially devastating bench.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ted. wrote:

Goodhue better watch out.
Thought Goodhue had 12 all sewn up. ;)

Reiko could be the new Bruce Robertson at outside centre.