SR Rd6: Hurricanes V Blues Match Thread.

All things Rugby
Ted.

Re: SR Rd6: Hurricanes V Blues Match Thread.

Post by Ted. »

naki wrote:Both teams should be docked competition points for this game

At least the Blues have started defending again, and Telea looks the business
Plus Fraser should be lynched by a sympathetic crowd, his entrails hauled behind the interislander.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I'm going to say that I think TJ Perenara, as captain, bears some responsibility for his team's discipline self-implosion tonight. He lost the plot when Lomax was carded, and became extremely emotional, and I think this impacted on his players. He will learn from this, there is time for emotion and constant verbal, and there is a time for calmness and composure.

Anyway, well done Blues. Deserved win. You showed more defensive starch and toughness tongight then I have seen in years. It's bloody hard to go to Wellington and win in Super Rugby. Especially after flying back from SA. Well done, Blues fans should be very happy :thumbup:
Flappy is always too emotional and the moment things go against him or the team then it almost always gets the better of him.
That was really evident tonight. He lost the plot when his players needed him to steady the ship.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Auckman wrote:I cannot take a victory lap after that abomination of a last 20mins from the Blues.

Go home now before they change the result.
Dude that's you're first away win in NZ for 7 long years. Enjoy the moment. It wasn't pretty, but winning in Wellington is never easy.
Which says a lot how poor the Canes were. If they expected to wi n that, they don't deserve to take the field with the Jersey on.
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

Blues have closed as underdogs with the bookies in every single game so far.

4-0 on the road now.

0-8 last year.

Fark if I care about the final 20. :lol: We kept them down their end. Did the job.

Well done, boys!
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Ted. wrote:

Plus Fraser should be lynched by a sympathetic crowd, his entrails hauled behind the interislander.
He’d be a long way down the order of lynchees. Mind you, if the lynching is the same quality as the match then he’d be pretty safe.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Good on the Blues tonight. :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Ted. wrote:

He’d be a long way down the order of lynchees. Mind you, if the lynching is the same quality as the match then he’d be pretty safe.
Ain't that the truth.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

I’m going to say it again because it’s one of those thing you wouldn’t believe unless you’d seen it. 15 against 12. In the 22 hard on attack. And they take a fucking drop kick. And miss.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Marshall Banana wrote:These commentators defending him because he's not a dirty player. :blush:

Easy red.
His discipline has gone to pieces since he left the Highlanders.

:D
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

A drop goal. Christ almighty.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:I’m going to say it again because it’s one of those thing you wouldn’t believe unless you’d seen it. 15 against 12. In the 22 hard on attack. And they take a fucking drop kick. And miss.
I dont know which was the dumber team. Canes for their discipline (TJ and Coles as your seniors at that time x( ) or the Blues for not knowing how to play with extra men and secure a bonus point try.

Akira take a bow even against 12 men you can find a way not to get involved on attack.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwinoz wrote:Akira take a bow even against 12 men you can find a way not to get involved on attack.

Yeah aside from his try he was very quiet. His big issue is that he never bothers to clean out, in attack or defense. It's like he's scared of the collisions.
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

If the Blues got rid of dross like Parsons, Duffie and Ruru they'd be a much better team.

Telea hasn't put a foot wrong this season. Looks like an AB in waiting. Akira went very well--wouldn't the Crusaders love to have him instead of that big lump of dead meat they've got.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

kiwinoz wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:I’m going to say it again because it’s one of those thing you wouldn’t believe unless you’d seen it. 15 against 12. In the 22 hard on attack. And they take a fucking drop kick. And miss.
I dont know which was the dumber team. Canes for their discipline (TJ and Coles as your seniors at that time x( ) or the Blues for not knowing how to play with extra men and secure a bonus point try.

Akira take a bow even against 12 men you can find a way not to get involved on attack.
When did he get subbed off? Was it after his try? I don’t think I saw him much after that.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Auckman wrote:I cannot take a victory lap after that abomination of a last 20mins from the Blues.

Go home now before they change the result.
Dude that's you're first away win in NZ for 7 long years. Enjoy the moment. It wasn't pretty, but winning in Wellington is never easy.
Oh I am happy don't worry about that. Just don't think they'll trouble the finals.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

When did he get subbed off? Was it after his try? I don’t think I saw him much after that.
He played 80 mins but did nothing in the 2nd half.
Marshall Banana

kiwinoz wrote:

We needed 2 tries to secure a bonus point.

Akira was excellent - what a cheap dig. :lol:
Marshall Banana

Akira made 13 tackles (second highest in the game - not just team!) - two of which forced errors by the Canes.

You guys are pathetic. :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Marshall Banana wrote:Akira was excellent - what a cheap dig. :lol:
In what way? Ran for barely any metres, a couple of tackles and zero rucks cleaned out. He did score a try where he ran for 2 metres before belly flopping over the line.
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

Marshall Banana wrote:Akira made 13 tackles (second highest in the team) - two of which forced errors by the Canes.

You guys are pathetic. :lol:
He did well, but he's no Tom Sanders... :lol:
BillW

Post by BillW »

The big thing that the Blues are learning is how things can change if you just stay in the fight.

The Hurricanes became frustrated because they had played the football, had nothing to show for it, started to lose their discipline, and it all went downhill from there.

Not pretty but the Blues deserved the win.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:Akira was excellent - what a cheap dig. :lol:
In what way? Ran for barely any metres, a couple of tackles and zero rucks cleaned out. He did score a try where he ran for 2 metres before belly flopping over the line.
Yes and he never tackled the Hurricanes wingers, or threw the ball in straight, his goalkicking is shit, and blah blah blah broken record.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Blues may have got the w tonight, but 15 against 12 should have been a much bigger margin than 9.

2 collisions that went wrong had a huge bearing on this one.
Marshall Banana

BillW wrote:The big thing that the Blues are learning is how things can change if you just stay in the fight.

The Hurricanes became frustrated because they had played the football, had nothing to show for it, started to lose their discipline, and it all went downhill from there.

Not pretty but the Blues deserved the win.
More spine in this team for sure.

Hopefully the boys can keep it up.

Lineout remains the biggest concern - but GCT being back in the mix is huge. He was excellent when he came on, and is probably the best jumper in the squad. Hookers are the real worry... nobody can throw.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Akira missed out on a try in the first half because Telea couldn't or wouldn't execute a simple draw and pass.

As for Akira I think he just cemented his spot behind Sotutu. I firmly believe the only way for Leon MacDonald to get the most out of him is to rub liniment over his gruts
Marshall Banana

kiwidutchie wrote:Blues may have got the w tonight, but 15 against 12 should have been a much bigger margin than 9.

kiwidutchie wrote:I expect one of the Ioane Brothers to get a yellow card. Probably for a careless tackle that hits the head.
:thumbup:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Marshall Banana wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:Blues may have got the w tonight, but 15 against 12 should have been a much bigger margin than 9.

kiwidutchie wrote:I expect one of the Ioane Brothers to get a yellow card. Probably for a careless tackle that hits the head.
:thumbup:
:lol:

Furthermore, besides from the first try, I thought Laumape was well contained by Reiko and journeyman Faiane.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

He played 80 mins but did nothing in the 2nd half.
:shock: How dare you say he did nothing in second half, I saw him doing his posturing to TJP that indicating he may possibly hit him if he stayed still, and didn't look!!! :lol:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Unlike some players on the other team, including an All Black who has had a few farts on national duty now, Akira's discipline was very good tonight. :smug:
not_english

Post by not_english »

I don't watch super rugby much, but I thought it was nice to see Reiko running fast again. I hope this was not a typical game, because the basic skills on display were woeful -- dropped balls under no pressure, missed touch from penalties, poor decisions to kick, etc
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

If thats Akira's top shelf performance then he should give up. I expected him to be running a lot more especially with the Canes down 1 - 3 men. He was Ok on defence but is not even close to an AB call up. At present he is a useful journeyman.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwinoz wrote:If thats Akira's top shelf performance then he should give up. I expected him to be running a lot more especially with the Canes down 1 - 3 men. He was Ok on defence but is not even close to an AB call up. At present he is a useful journeyman.
I agree mate. That was an average performance, nothing more. Tom Sanders-esque.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Akira looked good but needs to perform on a consistent basis.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Both teams would struggle against the Crusaders

It was basically game over once the Red came out.

Well done you Jaffa pricks.
Marshall Banana

kiwinoz wrote:If thats Akira's top shelf performance then he should give up. I expected him to be running a lot more especially with the Canes down 1 - 3 men. He was Ok on defence but is not even close to an AB call up. At present he is a useful journeyman.
Who said that was Akira's top shelf performance? :?

Who said anything about an AB call up? :?

Fuck me...

Akira came into this game ranked 6th in the Blues loose forward pecking order. He performed well under pressure, and has given Rangi some food for thought moving forward. Maybe he can get himself onto the bench moving forward? But maybe not? The Blues rested their top 2 loose forwards after all, and competition for places is fierce.
Marshall Banana

Couch wrote:Both teams would struggle against the Crusaders

It was basically game over once the Red came out.

Well done you Jaffa pricks.
On behalf of the team, thank you for your kind words. :thumbup:

But yeah, clearly the Blues aren't title contenders. However, they have won 4 games on the road, and no Blues team has ever won 5, so they're doing alright...
grouch

Post by grouch »

What great end to a pretty average week.

Away to the 'canes a week after a huge physical game in Capetown , Mike " wellington must win" Fraser on the whistle , Gibson at 7 I had expected yet another dismal defeat.

After a horror start there was absolutely no sign of the 'headless chook' gameplan that we've endured for the past 10 years.

Defence was excellent and I suspect that PT & Akira hit Laumape hard enough in tackle and with ball in hand to render him anonymous for the bulk of the game.

The 'Canes were out muscled and unfortunately reverted to Plumtree tactics and paid the price in the second half after Fraser realised their cheating had exceeded even his weak standards.

Eckland was disappointing this week after a couple of standout performances in africa, should be given the benefit of the doubt after his first experience of jet lag & being bashed by Saffer packs for 2 weeks in a row.

PT is playing the best rugby of his career and doing a power of physical damage in defence and ball in hand and those around him seem to have exorcised the tendency to squander advantage when its gained and stick to the game plan.

Attempted drop goal with a 2 man advantage ?

They needed 2 tries for a 5 point win with less than 5 minutes to play , DG missed but they kept the 'Canes in their red zone and re-gained possession , won the game and ensured the 'Canes could not salvage a bonus point.
BillW

Post by BillW »

grouch wrote:What great end to a pretty average week.

Away to the 'canes a week after a huge physical game in Capetown , Mike " wellington must win" Fraser on the whistle , Gibson at 7 I had expected yet another dismal defeat.

After a horror start there was absolutely no sign of the 'headless chook' gameplan that we've endured for the past 10 years.

Defence was excellent and I suspect that PT & Akira hit Laumape hard enough in tackle and with ball in hand to render him anonymous for the bulk of the game.

The 'Canes were out muscled and unfortunately reverted to Plumtree tactics and paid the price in the second half after Fraser realised their cheating had exceeded even his weak standards.

Eckland was disappointing this week after a couple of standout performances in africa, should be given the benefit of the doubt after his first experience of jet lag & being bashed by Saffer packs for 2 weeks in a row.

PT is playing the best rugby of his career and doing a power of physical damage in defence and ball in hand and those around him seem to have exorcised the tendency to squander advantage when its gained and stick to the game plan.

Attempted drop goal with a 2 man advantage ?

They needed 2 tries for a 5 point win with less than 5 minutes to play , DG missed but they kept the 'Canes in their red zone and re-gained possession , won the game and ensured the 'Canes could not salvage a bonus point.
I'm impressed with the way Tuipolotu is playing after being critical of his workrate in the past, especially when playing for the Blues.
The Blues IMHO have lacked a "come follow me" leader as much as a competent 10, but PT is working nicely into the role.
And there's no need now, for him to dread those after match interviews.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

grouch wrote:PT is playing the best rugby of his career and doing a power of physical damage in defence and ball in hand and those around him seem to have exorcised the tendency to squander advantage when its gained and stick to the game plan.
He carried so well I think some viewers may have confused him with Akira at stages, and not just Nisbett.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

The Blues should make a serious play for Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi. I think the biggest hole in their squad at the moment is at halfback - they finally have a decent tight five with Karl, Ofa, and Tuipolotu, there's plenty of competition among the loose forwards, and the outside backs are typically dangerous. With BB nearly on hand, halfback is their biggest weakness. TTT is stuck behind Weber for the foreseeable future, so the promise of a starting role & the chance to partner BB could be huge.

Would also be looking at Mitchell Drummond and Folau Fakatava if I were them.