Gavin Henson: 'Welsh internationals on roids'

All things Rugby
MrDominator

Gavin Henson: 'Welsh internationals on roids'

Post by MrDominator »

Wow.

Just wow.

Then again, not surprising - how has a nation of traditionally tiny, troll-like folk suddenly managed to produce so many physical monsters over the past 10 years? It's been odd, to say the least.
Of the many subjects Gavin Henson covers during 30 absorbing minutes on a Sunday afternoon in the upstairs of his new pub, his belief that certain Wales internationals took performance-enhancing drugs is one that makes the eyes widen more than most.

For some time it’s been a suspicion many have held. Can the professional game really be beyond reproach when the amateur game is widely accepted to be plagued by such problems?

Getting anyone in rugby's public eye to talk about it is difficult. But Henson has always been different.

Recent comments from Warren Gatland alluding to an inkling one player may have been taking them during his tenure were swiftly dismissed after the Wales coach “clarified” his thoughts. Nothing more than dressing room banter was the general gist in the end.

Henson believes his words should have sparked a full-blown investigation.

"I've been in an environment where the drug testers come in and there's one or two boys who run out. That's happened at professional level," he reveals.

"How it is acceptable, I don't know, but as a player you can't do anything about it.

"Yeh, of course it made me angry. Boys are cheating and those kind of things give you such an advantage. There are boys who have had careers on the back of taking stuff that has cost other players international places, or even club team places, which is really lucrative.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-17847965
Crash_12

Re: Gavin Henson: 'Welsh internationals on roids'

Post by Crash_12 »

One last desperate attempt to remain relevant?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Clearly not talking about his time at the Dragons - if the drugs our boys were taking were performance enhancing we should get a refund.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Is our esteemed site admin now writing for Wales Online?
Recent comments from Warren Gatland alluding to an inkling one player may have been taking them during his tenure were swiftly dismissed after the Wales coach “clarified” his thoughts. Nothing more than dressing room banter was the general gist in the end.
What a horrible couple of sentences.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

I mean he's probably not wrong but the dude has become quite bitter.
penguin

Post by penguin »

AND-y wrote:I mean he's probably not wrong but the dude has become quite bitter.
I'm not sure - I just think he's never really given a f*ck what people think so speaks his mind. He mentions in the article he doesn't really have friends from rugby, it's all his school friends he hangs around with, so unlike most players who would be very wary of touching that subject he just blurts it out like he's a 50 year old divorcee on her 7th lambrini.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Fake news - I have it on good authority that only South African teenagers take 'roids
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

MrDominator wrote:Wow.

Just wow.

Then again, not surprising - how has a nation of traditionally tiny, troll-like folk suddenly managed to produce so many physical monsters over the past 10 years? It's been odd, to say the least.
Of the many subjects Gavin Henson covers during 30 absorbing minutes on a Sunday afternoon in the upstairs of his new pub, his belief that certain Wales internationals took performance-enhancing drugs is one that makes the eyes widen more than most.

For some time it’s been a suspicion many have held. Can the professional game really be beyond reproach when the amateur game is widely accepted to be plagued by such problems?

Getting anyone in rugby's public eye to talk about it is difficult. But Henson has always been different.

"I've been in an environment where the drug testers come in and there's one or two boys who run out. That's happened at professional level," he reveals.

"How it is acceptable, I don't know, but as a player you can't do anything about it.

"Yeh, of course it made me angry. Boys are cheating and those kind of things give you such an advantage. There are boys who have had careers on the back of taking stuff that has cost other players international places, or even club team places, which is really lucrative.
He doesn't say it's Welsh internationals. It could have been while he was at Bath! Change your topic subject at once!
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

penguin wrote:
AND-y wrote:I mean he's probably not wrong but the dude has become quite bitter.
I'm not sure - I just think he's never really given a f*ck what people think so speaks his mind. He mentions in the article he doesn't really have friends from rugby, it's all his school friends he hangs around with, so unlike most players who would be very wary of touching that subject he just blurts it out like he's a 50 year old divorcee on her 7th lambrini.
Yeah I always got the impression he found it hard to fit in in the Welsh camp in particular. I know it's a dick move to speculate on these things but he always struck me as being somewhat on the spectrum tbh, I don't think he's a bad guy.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Kid A wrote:

Just wow.

He doesn't say it's Welsh internationals. It could have been while he was at Bath! Change your topic subject at once!
I think Chavin was there after Harrison et al were punted - although we wouldn't be talking about roids
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

If only anabolic steroids could make people taller.....
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

What Gav’s/The Wail’s angle here?
Its England week, surely they should be leaking stories of English players roiding?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Pretty bad testing system if you can avoid it by just not being in the room when the tester comes in. Or worse, running out past them!
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

I knew it.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Kid A wrote:

Just wow.

My money is on Bath. Yes.
penguin

Post by penguin »

AND-y wrote:
penguin wrote:
Yeah I always got the impression he found it hard to fit in in the Welsh camp in particular. I know it's a dick move to speculate on these things but he always struck me as being somewhat on the spectrum tbh, I don't think he's a bad guy.
Yeah, bit dim, perhaps you're right about the spectrum...not really a bad guy, but not someone who should be left alone to do his own thinking, especially on a night on the turps.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

Crash_12 wrote:One last desperate attempt to remain relevant?
Futile too. Dominator has never been remotely relevant.