Courtney Lawes cited

All things Rugby
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

hermie wrote:Jesus Christ, has there been a game in the past 10 years where the English haven't been done over by the referee?
It's weird having your support but I'll take it.


No seriously the ref had a tough job in that match thanks to Italy and didn't get it right as a result. There's no real blame attached to him and WR's changing of the laws shows that. Yes, he could have communicated better, given he was the one deciding that contact between two players over the ball wasn't enough to constitute a ruck, but there you go.
User avatar
hermie
Posts: 9979
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by hermie »

You'll always have my support JM, never doubt it <3
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

:lol:
wsurfa
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by wsurfa »

wsurfa wrote:
Keith wrote:
wsurfa wrote:
Kid A wrote:Here's the Parkes one, if it hasn't been done. Just incase I get accused of only putting up opposition gifs again.

Image
Is that the one that ended with Manu's ear bleeding? Pity there's not a clearer angle to see if there was shoulder/head contact as the initial point
Ear? :lol:
I remember (vaguely due to beer) Manu getting up head already bandaged from a cut to forehead, and blood dripping from his ear. Wondered if it was this one
Just found the tackle on a french you tube channel - not bleeding :) Must have been pished.

Fairly clear shot to head/neck by Parker though
User avatar
Da iawn diolch
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Da iawn diolch »

4071 wrote:Which - of course - remains the default tackle technique. There were plenty of others during the course of the match, because the standard way of making contact in the tackle is to lead hard with the shoulder and then wrap with the arm. When the tackled player moves in an unpredictable way, the tackler is often unable to complete the wrap. But that does not mean that the countless times they do complete a post-hit wrap that their technique is any less dangerous.
The whole premise of contact and collision in rugby is that players move in "unpredictable" ways.

If you can't appreciate or understand that, then I'm not sure you're watching the right sport.

If a tackler's technique isn't good enough to accommodate this inescapable fact while retaining a duty of care to the ball carrier, then it needs to change.

Players will continue to get carded, cited and banned for tackling without engaging their brain, as this weekend proves.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12735
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by message #2527204 »

Moan, moan, moan. You lost. There's always next year.
User avatar
Da iawn diolch
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Da iawn diolch »

message #2527204 wrote:Moan, moan, moan. You lost. There's always next year.
We were dogshit for vast swathes of that game, and never close enough in intensity for most of the first 50min to deserve winning. The right team won on the day.

The fact that we managed to salvage a LBP and stop England from getting the 4-try BP is the only consolation I'm taking from it.

None of that has anything to do with morons being seemingly incapable of learning safe tackle technique.
polyallstar
Posts: 2192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by polyallstar »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
4071 wrote:Which - of course - remains the default tackle technique. There were plenty of others during the course of the match, because the standard way of making contact in the tackle is to lead hard with the shoulder and then wrap with the arm. When the tackled player moves in an unpredictable way, the tackler is often unable to complete the wrap. But that does not mean that the countless times they do complete a post-hit wrap that their technique is any less dangerous.
The whole premise of contact and collision in rugby is that players move in "unpredictable" ways.

If you can't appreciate or understand that, then I'm not sure you're watching the right sport.

If a tackler's technique isn't good enough to accommodate this inescapable fact while retaining a duty of care to the ball carrier, then it needs to change.

English players will continue to get carded, cited and banned for tackling without engaging their brain, as this weekend proves.
fixed that for you
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:Moan, moan, moan. You lost. There's always next year.
We were dogshit for vast swathes of that game, and never close enough in intensity for most of the first 50min to deserve winning. The right team won on the day.

The fact that we managed to salvage a LBP and stop England from getting the 4-try BP is the only consolation I'm taking from it.

None of that has anything to do with morons being seemingly incapable of learning safe tackle technique.
:lol:

Bent O'Keefe did that for you.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

You guys are very odd.
User avatar
Da iawn diolch
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Keith wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:Moan, moan, moan. You lost. There's always next year.
We were dogshit for vast swathes of that game, and never close enough in intensity for most of the first 50min to deserve winning. The right team won on the day.

The fact that we managed to salvage a LBP and stop England from getting the 4-try BP is the only consolation I'm taking from it.

None of that has anything to do with morons being seemingly incapable of learning safe tackle technique.
:lol:

Bent O'Keefe did that for you.
Imagine thinking it's the height of humour to call a referee "Bent".

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Actually, you're an utter mong. I don't know why I'm even replying. Please don't engage with me.
wsurfa
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by wsurfa »

wsurfa wrote:
wsurfa wrote:
Keith wrote:
wsurfa wrote:
Kid A wrote:Here's the Parkes one, if it hasn't been done. Just incase I get accused of only putting up opposition gifs again.

Image
Is that the one that ended with Manu's ear bleeding? Pity there's not a clearer angle to see if there was shoulder/head contact as the initial point
Ear? :lol:
I remember (vaguely due to beer) Manu getting up head already bandaged from a cut to forehead, and blood dripping from his ear. Wondered if it was this one
Just found the tackle on a french you tube channel - not bleeding :) Must have been pished.

Fairly clear shot to head/neck by Parker though

https://youtu.be/zhRvidIA4iY?t=3199

Image

Clear impact to Tuilagi's head from Parke's head as first contact point, then shoulder to neck/head then arm to head. Penalty Wales for that nasty islander leading with his head

Image
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Keith wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:Moan, moan, moan. You lost. There's always next year.
We were dogshit for vast swathes of that game, and never close enough in intensity for most of the first 50min to deserve winning. The right team won on the day.

The fact that we managed to salvage a LBP and stop England from getting the 4-try BP is the only consolation I'm taking from it.

None of that has anything to do with morons being seemingly incapable of learning safe tackle technique.
:lol:

Bent O'Keefe did that for you.
Imagine thinking it's the height of humour to call a referee "Bent".

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Actually, you're an utter mong. I don't know why I'm even replying. Please don't engage with me.
Wibble
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 6916
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Madrid

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Toro »

I think O'Keefe got the Parkes one right, always high so a clear penalty. Probably lucky not to see a yellow, I think the head contact was accidental and there wasn't a clear initial contact of shoulder to head.

Lawes tucks his arm dangerously for sure but the head contact is glancing and hardly with force (in terms of his shoulder) which saves him a fair bit.

Manu went in at such speed I think he just couldn't adjust, hard to argue with the red though. Still didn't think the head contact was with so much 'force', slightly glancing but once you tuck your arm you lose that chance of mitigation.

My 2cents.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12735
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by message #2527204 »

Maybe, but i'm at a loss to see how the headbutt was accidental when he had his head in that position, and it was the initial contact along with his shoulder.
User avatar
shaggy
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by shaggy »

And only relevant if you totally ignore the recent directive on contact with the head. Started high, with force and no mitigating factors. Clear red card and criminal it has been washed over by the press and officials.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

He even jumped into the tackle to make sure he got him high
wsurfa
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by wsurfa »

shaggy wrote:And only relevant if you totally ignore the recent directive on contact with the head. Started high, with force and no mitigating factors. Clear red card and criminal it has been washed over by the press and officials.
Pretty much

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

It's a straight red and should have been looked at during the match. Following the neglect shown by the match officials, it should have been cited. It's as clear as bloody day.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51446
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by earl the beaver »

Toro wrote:I think O'Keefe got the Parkes one right, always high so a clear penalty. Probably lucky not to see a yellow, I think the head contact was accidental and there wasn't a clear initial contact of shoulder to head.

Lawes tucks his arm dangerously for sure but the head contact is glancing and hardly with force (in terms of his shoulder) which saves him a fair bit.

Manu went in at such speed I think he just couldn't adjust, hard to argue with the red though. Still didn't think the head contact was with so much 'force', slightly glancing but once you tuck your arm you lose that chance of mitigation.

My 2cents.
Will Addison got a 4 week ban for an accidental clash of heads where his shoulder hit the player legally and he wrapped.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 10530
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Frodder »

wsurfa wrote:
shaggy wrote:And only relevant if you totally ignore the recent directive on contact with the head. Started high, with force and no mitigating factors. Clear red card and criminal it has been washed over by the press and officials.
Pretty much

Image

The last time I saw a Jackson Structure like that was when Jeff was trying to justify marking all Ospreys players with at least 8/10 or Earl justifying Rory Best being the best player on the field
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

earl the beaver wrote:Will Addison got a 4 week ban for an accidental clash of heads where his shoulder hit the player legally and he wrapped.
That's becasue Will Addison is English.
ChipSpike
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by ChipSpike »

Toro wrote:I think O'Keefe got the Parkes one right, always high so a clear penalty. Probably lucky not to see a yellow, I think the head contact was accidental and there wasn't a clear initial contact of shoulder to head.

Lawes tucks his arm dangerously for sure but the head contact is glancing and hardly with force (in terms of his shoulder) which saves him a fair bit.

Manu went in at such speed I think he just couldn't adjust, hard to argue with the red though. Still didn't think the head contact was with so much 'force', slightly glancing but once you tuck your arm you lose that chance of mitigation.

My 2cents.
Parkes went in head high, his shoulder was level with Manus head. Why wasn't he targeting below the chest? Its definitely a yellow possbily a red. It was reckless, there could have been a much nastier head on head clash, and its purely Parkes fault for going in way too high.
wsurfa
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by wsurfa »

Owens on Youngs.

You could just about make out some contact to the top of the ball before he hits Young's head. Still on the guidelines (that WR ignore, so....) it looks like a fairy clear yellow, tackler drives into the tackle, contact to head is not minor, he completes the tackle. BC doesnt drop and is in the open.

Hardly the worst though

Image
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
User avatar
Liathroidigloine
Posts: 8478
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.
Advantage, we scored from it.
mr flaps
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by mr flaps »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.

Swinging arm with force and the head is the first point of contact. Red.
wsurfa
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by wsurfa »

mr flaps wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.

Swinging arm with force and the head is the first point of contact. Red.
Possibly hit the top of the ball first, so easy to make it a yellow.

The lack of yellows given when a try is scored is perplexing, if a player deliberately knocks a ball on to stop a try, then they'll be yellow carded and a penalty try given. Yellow card offence happens 1 phase before the try and it's ignored/

Some top quality shithousery from Sanjay though

Image
mr flaps
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by mr flaps »

wsurfa wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.

Swinging arm with force and the head is the first point of contact. Red.
Possibly hit the top of the ball first, so easy to make it a yellow.

The lack of yellows given when a try is scored is perplexing, if a player deliberately knocks a ball on to stop a try, then they'll be yellow carded and a penalty try given. Yellow card offence happens 1 phase before the try and it's ignored/

Some top quality shithousery from Sanjay though

Image

Between dropping Curry on his head and then striking him in the face he should be looking at 2 months off.
sockwithaticket
Posts: 6352
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Location: England

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by sockwithaticket »

I hadn't even clocked Owens during the game. That would be a red in the Prem if reviewed. We covered it on page 5, but cardable offences not yielding one because a try is scored is bullshit.
Crash_12
Posts: 12878
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Crash_12 »

“Striking him in the face”. :lol:

I didn’t know flaps had joined the softock brigade.
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

Crash_12 wrote:“Striking him in the face”. :lol:

I didn’t know flaps had joined the softock brigade.
Led by Alun-Whige Jones, no doubt
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51446
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by earl the beaver »

mr flaps wrote:
wsurfa wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Keith wrote:Obvious yellow for Owens. Not given, natch.
Penalty, given.

Swinging arm with force and the head is the first point of contact. Red.
Possibly hit the top of the ball first, so easy to make it a yellow.

The lack of yellows given when a try is scored is perplexing, if a player deliberately knocks a ball on to stop a try, then they'll be yellow carded and a penalty try given. Yellow card offence happens 1 phase before the try and it's ignored/

Some top quality shithousery from Sanjay though

Image

Between dropping Curry on his head and then striking him in the face he should be looking at 2 months off.
I mean his arm is clearly on Curry's shoulder while pushing him so unless the definition of the word face has changed I'm going to disagree with this
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

Well, you can see his head move backwards both times he gets whacked in the face, so...
User avatar
Da iawn diolch
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Da iawn diolch »

And the English wonder why the other home nations dislike their fans.

Is it a new record to still be whining about refereeing decisions in a match you won almost a week later? :lol: :lol: :blush: :blush:
User avatar
Womack
Posts: 5523
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Womack »

It's about as unusual as fans of the losing team and assorted 'neutrals' whining about fans of the winning team whining about refereeing decisions.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37186
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by JM2K6 »

The gifs were just posted by a Welshman for discussion, no?
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8130
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by blindcider »

Da iawn diolch wrote:And the English wonder why the other home nations dislike their fans.

Is it a new record to still be whining about refereeing decisions in a match you won almost a week later? :lol: :lol: :blush: :blush:

We don't wonder or care to be honest, chippies are gonna chip

Front up as someone who has banged on about dangerous tackles do you not agree that the English fans have a point in this case though on those two specific incidents?
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Courtney Lawes cited

Post by Keith »

blindcider wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:And the English wonder why the other home nations dislike their fans.

Is it a new record to still be whining about refereeing decisions in a match you won almost a week later? :lol: :lol: :blush: :blush:

We don't wonder or care to be honest, chippies are gonna chip

Front up as someone who has banged on about dangerous tackles do you not agree that the English fans have a point in this case though on those two specific incidents?
He won't, he's just another wanker with an inferiority complex.
Post Reply