naki

Re: Cheifs V Hurricanes SR Thread

Post by naki »

Crazy Ed wrote:
Couch wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:31 phases for a 2m gain
They were waiting for an infringment and they got it
Yep luckily somebody got dumb.
Peyper was never going to give a breakdown penalty for either side there, and both teams knew it. So dumb to go in late there
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

JPNZ wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:interesting call with the catching the ball out off play. was that a penalty as well? if so the 5m line out would have won it for the chiefs. wtf were the AR's doing during that call.
Apparently if it doesn’t cross the plane (it did) then it’s okay??
so why not review it? why didn't the ARs question it?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Marshall Banana wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:interesting call with the catching the ball out off pla. was that a penalty as well? if so the 5m line out would have won it for the chiefs. wtf were the AR's doing during that call.
The ball was out under the old law or the new! :lol:

Chiefs were hosed. Completely hosed!
Law 18.2.b
The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Phew!

Very, very happy with that.

Hard luck Chiefs. A good old fashioned arm wrestle that could have gone either way.
Last edited by Ted. on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Good clarification. Cheers Jens. Has that changed lately?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

naki wrote:Didn’t deserve that anyway
I damned near dislocated my jaw fighting back the urge to boo.

I've certainly no objection to the canes winning but I was peeved it was via a penalty.

BooOOOOoooOOOOOooOOooooo
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jensrsa wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:interesting call with the catching the ball out off pla. was that a penalty as well? if so the 5m line out would have won it for the chiefs. wtf were the AR's doing during that call.

Law 18.2.b

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
Who knew? :roll:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fitting that Barrett had the final say. He should have been awarded that try much earlier in the game when it was deemed 'simultaneous' grounding with Mackenzie. :roll:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Of course I meant DMac in my last post.

(Cheers Jens)
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

booji boy wrote:Fitting that Barrett had the final say. He should have been awarded that try much earlier in the game when it was deemed 'simultaneous' grounding with Mackenzie. :roll:
Why?
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Jensrsa wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Law 18.2.b

Thanks
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:Fitting that Barrett had the final say. He should have been awarded that try much earlier in the game when it was deemed 'simultaneous' grounding with Mackenzie. :roll:
Why?
Well they were both going for the ball and Mackenzie got the first touch about a meter short of the line. But then Jordie grabbed the ball and was clearly in possession as he crossed the line and grounded the ball.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Ted. wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Law 18.2.b

Jordie and Jaco? :)
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

And just as clearly (as it was touching the ball as it went over the line) DMacs hand was on it. Hell, one finger is enough.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Enzedder wrote:Can someone unban Comets please?

I would like to talk to him about the intelligence of one of his countrymen
:lol:
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

Jensrsa wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Law 18.2.b

That's where I was wrong. :blush:

Thought he chucked it back in before landing, on first watch...

I get this law wrong every year.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Once Jordy irons out his flaws, he's going to be a damn good player come RWC2023
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jensrsa wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Law 18.2.b

Jordie and Jaco? :)
:nod:
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

JPNZ wrote:Good clarification. Cheers Jens. Has that changed lately?
2017 laws didn't have it but the 2019 laws does. Seems it might have come in when they simplified the laws for 2018 (I don't have the 2018 version)
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Well if you didn't enjoy that game, follow something else. Pretty good I thought, and didn't know the Canes had it in them to play like that. I have to say I happy!
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

FFS. Missed it (too early) and worse, the Chiefs have thrown me off top spot in the FR :x

Had this a super tight and went Chiefs by 1.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Well done Canes.

Maybe it's the black shirts, but the Chiefs reminded me of the All Blacks when they get too cute and lose their shit, and the match.

The late tackle at the end was pure stupidity after the fantastic defence that preceded it, and Peyper's determination not to award a cheap penalty.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Well that was a pretty decent game to watch :thumbup:
Some really good players on display there. Probably one of the best games I have seen from Jordie (apart from the pass off the ground into the Chiefs hands :x ).

Massive workrate from Lam and Aso to get back to prevent what I thought was a certain try :thumbup:
Bench made a serious impact which was great to see.

Not sure how i feel about TJs YC - was he lucky or hard done by. Not sure what else he could have done to get low to tackle and it seemed to be a head clash, but it was contact to the head.

Nice to see Peyper knew his laws for both the Jordie Barret decisions 8)
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Magpie26 wrote: Nice to see Peyper knew his laws for both the Jordie Barret decisions 8)
:thumbup:

Good to see a player knowing his laws, even an obscure one like this. I can't remember ever seeing a player doing this. In the replay one could see Jordy waiting off to the side to time his run
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Good game! Enjoyed that.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Jensrsa wrote:
Magpie26 wrote: Nice to see Peyper knew his laws for both the Jordie Barret decisions 8)

Good to see a player knowing his laws, even an obscure one like this. I can't remember ever seeing a player doing this. In the replay one could see Jordy waiting off to the side to time his run
Even as it happened live I noticed he was moving in to receive the kick from miles outside the field of play.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

booji boy wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Even as it happened live I noticed he was moving in to receive the kick from miles outside the field of play.
Yep he clearly knew what he was trying to do. Does help he is around 2m tall :thumbup:
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Great work to bounce back from last weeks disappointing result.
Jordie is stepping up, nowhere near an AB incumbent, but looking better.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Poor from chiefs.
I thought DMaC was poor in general - especially his kicking.

Did Cruden get picked up for late no arm hit on Fletcher Smith? (Not red but yellow)...
trapper

Post by trapper »

I still think Jordi should have been awarded the try. Strange circumstances I know but if it looks like a duck.... Top game of rugby to watch and I even had a couple of Aussies who hardly ever watch rugby getting into it at the end. And as a Crusaders supporter a great result.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

trapper wrote:I still think Jordi should have been awarded the try. Strange circumstances I know but if it looks like a duck.... Top game of rugby to watch and I even had a couple of Aussies who hardly ever watch rugby getting into it at the end. And as a Crusaders supporter a great result.
If we have to put up with a stupid law where a guy is standing 5 metres out, jumps on the air and catches a ball way over the sideline and brings it back into play then we can put up with one where a try is denied because a defender is touching it. In my book anyway.

So, the Canes select the most Magpies in their team ever and win a game they should have lost ... :D
naki

Post by naki »

Getting double-stuffed by a kid from South Taranaki is really twisting the knife :((

We really needed this win before touring. The Sadists could start to build a lead now
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Can someone gif the try/non-try?

I remember an incident where BB tried to claim a try because he pressed down on a loose ball as the opposition went to pick it up at the same time but it was called a drop out as the opposition was deemed to have possession. Think it’s was against SA? This seems a bit similar.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Wilderbeast wrote:Can someone gif the try/non-try?

I remember an incident where BB tried to claim a try because he pressed down on a loose ball as the opposition went to pick it up at the same time but it was called a drop out as the opposition was deemed to have possession. Think it’s was against SA? This seems a bit similar.
Last edited by deverix on Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Magpie26 wrote:
Not sure how i feel about TJs YC - was he lucky or hard done by. Not sure what else he could have done to get low to tackle and it seemed to be a head clash, but it was contact to the head.

He looked pretty happy to get it from what I could see. The Chiefs really should have sewn it up with TJ off the paddock.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

This was a really big outcome in the context of the NZ conference. Away wins are rare and hard earned in the NZ conference. The Hurricanes beating the Chiefs in Hamilton is a huge result. For the Chiefs to win the NZ conference they would have ideally liked to have won all their home games against NZ teams. They still have to play the Hurricanes and Crusaders away this year - those won't be easy matches.

What should be very pleasing for the Hurricanes is the manner in which this game was won. This wasn't a typical, razzle dazle Hurricanes win. This win was about grit, determination, patience and defensive workrate. They hung in the contest when it looked like the Chiefs were coasting home. And they showed immense patience at the end, when they retained possession and built pressure ultimately earning the match winning penalty. I would go as far as saying that the Hurricanes of yesteryear would not have had the patience to hold the ball for 35 phases. It looked ugly, but it was ultimately effective. It was play you'd typically see from the Crusaders, not the Hurricanes. Well done to Hurricanes fans, you should be very proud of your team :thumbup:
Couch

Post by Couch »

Ali's Choice wrote:This was a really big outcome in the context of the NZ conference. Away wins are rare and hard earned in the NZ conference. The Hurricanes beating the Chiefs in Hamilton is a huge result. For the Chiefs to win the NZ conference they would have ideally liked to have won all their home games against NZ teams. They still have to play the Hurricanes and Crusaders away this year - those won't be easy matches.

What should be very pleasing for the Hurricanes is the manner in which this game was won. This wasn't a typical, razzle dazle Hurricanes win. This win was about grit, determination, patience and defensive workrate. They hung in the contest when it looked like the Chiefs were coasting home. And they showed immense patience at the end, when they retained possession and built pressure ultimately earning the match winning penalty. I would go as far as saying that the Hurricanes of yesteryear would not have had the patience to hold the ball for 35 phases. It looked ugly, but it was ultimately effective. It was play you'd typically see from the Crusaders, not the Hurricanes. Well done to Hurricanes fans, you should be very proud of your team :thumbup:
What makes this win equally pleasing was we were playing a full strength Chief's side while we are missing guys like Ardie Savea and Tyrel Lomax and fielding a no name 1st five.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

I rarely watch replays but I'm savouring this one a second time...
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Couch wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:This was a really big outcome in the context of the NZ conference. Away wins are rare and hard earned in the NZ conference. The Hurricanes beating the Chiefs in Hamilton is a huge result. For the Chiefs to win the NZ conference they would have ideally liked to have won all their home games against NZ teams. They still have to play the Hurricanes and Crusaders away this year - those won't be easy matches.

What makes this win equally pleasing was we were playing a full strength Chief's side while we are missing guys like Ardie Savea and Tyrel Lomax and fielding a no name 1st five.
Um, nope, the entire Chiefs first string and some of the second string front row are out of action.

Was still a good win but don't over egg it.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

I hope Gatland isn’t going to bring the Northern Hemisphere/Cheika standard of slagging refs and whinging about decisions after the game.
TJs yellow should have been a red :((
The deciding penalty wasn’t a penalty :((

A little bit of humility and accountability would be nice.
Chiefs should have closed it out after the yellow card.
Jordie outplayed DMac
Smith outplayed Cruden