Who's panic buying?

All things Rugby
rageagainstthemachine

Who's panic buying?

Post by rageagainstthemachine »

Stop it ye cnuts! The supermarkets are a disgrace. People should be ashamed of themselves. I just want some bog roll. :x
earl the beaver

Re: Who's panic buying?

Post by earl the beaver »

rageagainstthemachine wrote:Stop it ye cnuts! The supermarkets are a disgrace. People should be ashamed of themselves. I just want some bog roll. :x
In my local Co-op there is a sign up saying customers will be limited to 3 packets of toilet roll, however, they don't say whether this is a 2 roll pack or a 4 roll pack or a 16 roll pack.

The Aldi across the road from it sold out the other day.

Madness.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

They call it panic buying but there’s no panic. Just a bunch of hysterical people who are getting off on the bit of excitement. They fecking love the bit of drama.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

german has the perfect word for it hamsterkäufen
Last edited by ukjim on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Still with the bog roll. If I do have a mild panic buy, it will be tinned and non perishable food.

Can't eat bog roll. Weird
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Margin_Walker wrote:Still with the bog roll. If I do have a mild panic buy, it will be tinned and non perishable food.

How long do you reckon you’d last if it came to proper food shortages?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Duff Paddy wrote:They call it panic buying but there’s no panic. Just a bunch of hysterical people
So it's not panic but it's panic.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

I bought 6 200g bars of Cadburys Dairy Milk on special offer at Tesco.

(Honestly they're for my wife, I don't eat chocolate! They should cover her until Monday.)
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

AND-y wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:They call it panic buying but there’s no panic. Just a bunch of hysterical people
So it's not panic but it's panic.
Invest in a dictionary
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

What the f-ck is the obsession with toilet paper???

Even in the aboslute worst case possible imaginable scenario, you could still just wash your crack in the shower. You'd think dried and canned foods and medicine would be first on the list for those who are really panicked.

I heard on the grapevine that the reason is that they ran out of loo paper early in Wuhan and there was shit everywhere, and all the Chinese people there told their relatives abroad, "make sure you stock up on toilet paper". In Australia, where we have a large Chinese population, this resulted in a lot of Chinese people rushing out the supermarket and buying trolleys full of toilet paper. Other Australians witnessed this and thought, "well they must know what they're doing!" and followed the example. This hysteria was shared widely on social media and it seems the rest of the world are now copying it (even though it was largely mocked). From there it's just supply and demand, Toilet paper became a commodity, albeit a largely useless one.

But no, nobody's panicking. No need to call for calm.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lilyw wrote:I bought 6 200g bars of Cadburys Dairy Milk on special offer at Tesco.

(Honestly they're for my wife, I don't eat chocolate! They should cover her until Monday.)
wont' lie, not the first Milf covered in 6 chocolate bars* internet post I've seen
*mickies
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

backrow wrote:
lilyw wrote:I bought 6 200g bars of Cadburys Dairy Milk on special offer at Tesco.

wont' lie, not the first Milf covered in 6 chocolate bars* internet post I've seen
*mickies
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:Still with the bog roll. If I do have a mild panic buy, it will be tinned and non perishable food.

How long do you reckon you’d last if it came to proper food shortages?
Not long if it was prolonged, I guess.

I'm a pretty shit prepper though. Too self conscious to be seen obviously hording.
ID2

Post by ID2 »

The government tell everybody not to gather in crowds and maintain a distance from each other and everybody piles into their local supermarket :?
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

You wouldn't know anything is happening here in West Wales (not for the first time though).
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

rageagainstthemachine wrote:Stop it ye cnuts! The supermarkets are a disgrace. People should be ashamed of themselves. I just want some bog roll. :x
Bog roll, kitchen towel, paracetamol/neurofen, pasta all missing fdrom the shelves in my local Sainsbury. My daughter reports the same in Tescos the other side of town :x
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Ashamed? No, prepared? Yes.

Often the lack of foresight will manifest as anger towards others with foresight.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I haven't been panic buying, but I have bought larger quantities of stuff that I'd normally be buying anyway.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Nolanator wrote:I haven't been panic buying, but I have bought larger quantities of stuff that I'd normally be buying anyway.
Yep no panic here either, the panic buying for others will happen soon.
Mog The Almighty

I did my panic buying last weekend. I'm set!

Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Friend was telling me he was in a supermarket this morning, and there was absolutely no soap. Then a member of staff bought-out a pack of liquid soap bottles, he thinks about 24 bottles.

As he put them on the shelf 2 "ladies" all but fought over them and ended up with all the bottles in their shopping trolleys :(
Mog The Almighty

Phredd wrote:Friend was telling me he was in a supermarket this morning, and there was absolutely no soap. Then a member of staff bought-out a pack of liquid soap bottles, he thinks about 24 bottles.

As he put them on the shelf 2 "ladies" all but fought over them and ended up with all the bottles in their shopping trolleys :(
Chicks.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Dog eat dog world out there.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Mog The Almighty wrote:What the f-ck is the obsession with toilet paper???

Even in the aboslute worst case possible imaginable scenario, you could still just wash your crack in the shower. You'd think dried and canned foods and medicine would be first on the list for those who are really panicked.

I heard on the grapevine that the reason is that they ran out of loo paper early in Wuhan and there was shit everywhere, and all the Chinese people there told their relatives abroad, "make sure you stock up on toilet paper". In Australia, where we have a large Chinese population, this resulted in a lot of Chinese people rushing out the supermarket and buying trolleys full of toilet paper. Other Australians witnessed this and thought, "well they must know what they're doing!" and followed the example. This hysteria was shared widely on social media and it seems the rest of the world are now copying it (even though it was largely mocked). From there it's just supply and demand, Toilet paper became a commodity, albeit a largely useless one.

But no, nobody's panicking. No need to call for calm.
Surely weapons should be your first priority...
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

You'll have to do what we Muslims do, and wash your arse after each poop.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Phredd wrote:Friend was telling me he was in a supermarket this morning, and there was absolutely no soap. Then a member of staff bought-out a pack of liquid soap bottles, he thinks about 24 bottles.

Chicks.
won't lie, not the first time I've seen chicks fighting over liquid soap
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

There hasn't been any in my area for a week. I'm having to borrow bog roll off friends.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

dinsdale wrote:
There hasn't been any in my area for a week. I'm having to borrow bog roll off friends.
Seriously??

Wtf is going on down your way? There's plenty around here. I'll swap you for some Belgian beer
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Did a bit this evening. It’s like last minute Christmas shopping.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

There’s still loads of bog roll I’m my local shop. :thumbup:
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Everybody in work thinks I’m pregnant but I’m just stealing industrial sized rolls.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Plato'sCave wrote:There’s still loads of bog roll I’m my local shop. :thumbup:
La di da to you.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

YOYO wrote:
La di da to you.
They’re still wiping their arse on grass in the valleys.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Seriously??

Wtf is going on down your way? There's plenty around here. I'll swap you for some Belgian beer
Yup, seriously.

I think it's possible I underestimated the sheer stupidity of some people in my neighbourhood. Tomorrow I might be forced to get the car out and go further afield.

If I don't find any, how about a bottle of St Bernardus per roll :lol:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

dinsdale wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Seriously??

Yup, seriously.

I think it's possible I underestimated the sheer stupidity of some people in my neighbourhood. Tomorrow I might be forced to get the car out and go further afield.

I hope you have a lot of st bernadus!
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Bought a 4 pack of Heinz Baked Beans.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

YOYO wrote:
La di da to you.
A glorious and plentiful mountain bounty of soft, quilted, toilety silk.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Had an extra glass of wine and a dessert at lunch just now to fatten myself up for the imminent lean days.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Plenty of important stuff in Aldi earlier, i.e. booze, crisps etc
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Seriously??

Yup, seriously.

I hope you have a lot of st bernadus!
3 crates of Abt 12 left.