All things Rugby
handyman

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by handyman »

Maybe Takealot will be the way to go.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Friends of mine set up a small distillery at home producing vodka from potatoes.
Apparently selling it for R250 a bottle.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Beaver_Shark wrote:The "black market" stuff was ridiculously expensive. Okes were selling R200 gin bottles for R700. An R80 Beer 6-pack was going at almost R300. :thumbdown:

I decided very early that it was not worth it and haven't had a drink since mid-April when my stock ran out.
Same. Don't drink a helluva lot so still have some booze left after stocking up before lockdown.

Beer and wine ran out after 4 weeks, gin ran out yesterday.
Unfortunately I've had to start dipping into my top shelf stuff which sucks, but I still have some left until the end of the month.

Will probably order all my booze online once it goes back on sale. No way am I heading out to stand in queues for this. Madness.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

I have been very lucky to source Grog and it looks like I may get another 6 pack tomorrow. I am not a massive drinker but I enjoy two or three when I am braaing or watching the rugger. The wife is a big wine/whiskey/gin drinker and with the happy wife/happy life thing I have managed to keep her stocked (just) so far. My young neighbors have really been great with sharing with the community. Saturday it was a crayfish braai and whiskey. One is a pastry chef so Saturday morning we had fresh pastries. One of the others works for an online purchasing company and he is sorting out our booze order and will collect for us from the warehouse on the 1 June, so no crazy lines at the bottle store. The guys at the robots on Campground Road Rondebosch (begging/selling magazines)have also been well fed. I gave the one guy a tray of take-away asian food and he called the three others over and shared it with them.

Getting to know my neighbors and the sense of community has been an eye opener. There are a lot of positives coming out from this, if you look for them.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

beachboy wrote:I have been very lucky to source Grog and it looks like I may get another 6 pack tomorrow. I am not a massive drinker but I enjoy two or three when I am braaing or watching the rugger. The wife is a big wine/whiskey/gin drinker and with the happy wife/happy life thing I have managed to keep her stocked (just) so far. My young neighbors have really been great with sharing with the community. Saturday it was a crayfish braai and whiskey. One is a pastry chef so Saturday morning we had fresh pastries. One of the others works for an online purchasing company and he is sorting out our booze order and will collect for us from the warehouse on the 1 June, so no crazy lines at the bottle store. The guys at the robots on Campground Road Rondebosch (begging/selling magazines)have also been well fed. I gave the one guy a tray of take-away asian food and he called the three others over and shared it with them.

Getting to know my neighbors and the sense of community has been an eye opener. There are a lot of positives coming out from this, if you look for them.
Pretty much this.

Ran out of beer early on, but I was being quite liberal and sharing it.

My GF has been a little testy since we ran out of wine, though. :(

My family are in KZN and I have a couple of cases of Castle down there. No way of getting them up here, though, without asking someone to break the law and risk a fine.

But yes, have connected with the neighbours.
doodles.dude

Post by doodles.dude »

fudge I ordered so much dop but should have followed my gut instinct and waited until level 3, Western Cape will probs stay at four and I'll wait till fucken 2021 for my booz order :x
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

He is on at 7:30pm...'My fellow South Africans...'

Probably not sending out NDZ to do the dirty 'we changed our mind' this time...
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

sorCrer wrote:He is on at 7:30pm...'My fellow South Africans...'

Probably not sending out NDZ to do the dirty 'we changed our mind' this time...

#ZolMustFall

If he backtracks on anything again he'll basically admit that the non-Cyril faction has taken over.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Cowards; opening churches and religious gatherings. Buckled under pressure from the faith leaders but still resisting big tobacco.

Going to be a bloodbath. Oh well...as my grandfather always said:

“As hulle nie will hoor nie moet hulle maar voel”
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Blake wrote:Cowards; opening churches and religious gatherings. Buckled under pressure from the faith leaders but still resisting big tobacco.

Going to be a bloodbath. Oh well...as my grandfather always said:

“As hulle nie will hoor nie moet hulle maar voel”
Religion is a bigger pestilence than Covid.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Churches when closed do not make any money. They are like any other business.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

I see Dlamini-Zuma is still resisting selling alcohol on the 1st June:

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Infectious-diseases/Coronavirus/coronavirus-morning-update-no-final-decision-on-cigarette-alcohol-sales-and-latest-on-lockdown-arrests-20200523-2

If she gets to contradict Ramaphosa on this we'll know who is really in charge.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Rinkals wrote:I see Dlamini-Zuma is still resisting selling alcohol on the 1st June:

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Infectious-diseases/Coronavirus/coronavirus-morning-update-no-final-decision-on-cigarette-alcohol-sales-and-latest-on-lockdown-arrests-20200523-2

That was 4 days ago Rinks. They came to agreement down the middle allow alcohol, no tobacco.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

If they go back on this now there's going to be big kak. Anyways this thing with churches and religious gatherings are more of a worry to me than if people can smoke or booze up. You allow people to go out in groups and congregate in confined spaces but they're not allowed to have a beer or a smoke in their own homes.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

sorCrer wrote:
Rinkals wrote:I see Dlamini-Zuma is still resisting selling alcohol on the 1st June:

That was 4 days ago Rinks. They came to agreement down the middle allow alcohol, no tobacco.
Thanks.

Popped up in my twitter feed.

Mind you, I wouldn't put it past her to get her own way in the end.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

If 50 people can socially distance themselves in a church / mosque / temple etc. Then why can 50 people not socially distance themselves in a hotel, restaurant, at a braai, in a cinema or on a beach?
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Chilli wrote:If 50 people can socially distance themselves in a church / mosque / temple etc. Then why can 50 people not socially distance themselves in a hotel, restaurant, at a braai, in a cinema or on a beach?
Because God wills it, obviously. :nod:

[Edit] There does seem to be evidence that singing helps to the spread of the virus and worship does seem to involve a lot of singing.

So I'm inclined to think that this probably won't end well.
Last edited by Rinkals on Wed May 27, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

The SA lockdown has failed, curve not flattened, testing still at 50% of where it should be. SA's curve just looks like there's been no lockdown, and is accelerating as winter gets underway. Now using a levels based system without the testing to accurately decide levels, so it's just going to target areas doing testing and finding cases then put them under hard lockdown for months. Lockdowns will fail everywhere not just in SA, no point in continuing with it.

The real purpose seems to be banning cigarettes for as long as possible. Those who benefit are those connected to illegal cigarette smugglers/gangsters/traders. The Zumas and EFF must be raking it in. They'll use the money to help remove Ramaphosa so they can ramp up the looting again, they're building a war chest. Last time they had no money, and still almost beat Ramaphosa who had billions from SA business to buy them off with (well only Mabuza in the end).

This Ramaphosa guy seems like a bit of a chump. Building up national debt and damaging the economy, at the same time as giving bags of cash to his opponents. Seems powerless.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

@Ox, had a conversation with my 88yo mother and 2 sisters (both in their sixties) in Nottingham Road and they are adamant that the virus is nothing more than a particularly severe dose of the 'flu.

Maybe they are right and the lockdown has not stopped it and won't stop it and that everybody would have been fine except for the occasional nasty cough even without lockdown, but I'm still of the opinion that we had to try to keep it out of the high-density areas for as long as possible.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

Rinkals wrote:@Ox, had a conversation with my 88yo mother and 2 sisters (both in their sixties) in Nottingham Road and they are adamant that the virus is nothing more than a particularly severe dose of the 'flu.

Maybe they are right and the lockdown has not stopped it and won't stop it and that everybody would have been fine except for the occasional nasty cough even without lockdown, but I'm still of the opinion that we had to try to keep it out of the high-density areas for as long as possible.
It was only supposed to flatten the curve, it's now become what it can't do which is end the virus completely. It's become a bit dumb, and not just in SA.

There's only actual evidence for old people with a heap of other health issues being at risk. Would've been better just getting them to lockdown and let everyone else get on with it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if tens of thousands died. Between about 30k and 70k die of TB each year in SA, so if I had to guess I would pick a number in there somewhere. Destroying the economy isn't going to help though.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ban on cigarettes is the last regulation to be removed, and the ridiculous situation of state enforcement of an illegal market for the benefit of some in power, becomes really obviously what it's all about.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

I hate to say this but I told you so.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Yep I was wrong and Ox was right. I feel it the hard way. Struggle through life at the moment.

Nipper probably enjoy this the most. 70% of those deaths is people over 50. I wont mind being one of them.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

OomPB wrote:Yep I was wrong and Ox was right. I feel it the hard way. Struggle through life at the moment.

Nipper probably enjoy this the most. 70% of those deaths is people over 50. I wont mind being one of them.

Nee wat oom. Ek het all baie vir jou kak gegee hier op die bord maar jy moet nou vasstaan. :thumbup:
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Fok oom, moenie met sulke kak begin nie. Ons wil nie he Sards moet weer op n soek tog gaan en Globus moet probeer om n paypal rekening oop te maak nie. Daars nou baie mense wat in die selfde bootjie sit, as nie erger nie. Jy's mos nou al n tuwe ou stuk seening. Jy sal hier ook deur kom.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Ek probeer my bes maar ek is in n rowwe spot. Help bietjie as ek hier afpak. Het my huis in die mark gesit in die mees kakste tyd moontlik
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

OomPB wrote:Ek probeer my bes maar ek is in n rowwe spot. Help bietjie as ek hier afpak. Het my huis in die mark gesit in die mees kakste tyd moontlik
You don't sell you house, the first thing you do is immediately stop paying money to anyone you owe even the banks. Forget your conscience and make a slow and leisurely study of your debt issue. Leverage every bit you can off C19 and start making small controlled decisions.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

Absolutely the shit is still coming. Some of the government testing is taking up to a month or more. Death rates are spiking and when one hears how many people are on ventilators in the W/Cape and the known survival rates, it is not going to flatten anytime soon.

The nursing home in the Strand that was appealing for help yesterday gave me the shivers, it appears they have no plans in place to deal with any crisis and no solution. We are going to see how badly run some of these institutions are in the weeks to come and how close to the bone they operate.

Personally been a better week for me - very busy with good business. Yesterday a mate dropped of 12 beers which I divvied up with my neighbors and a niece is dropping off a case of red wine this afternoon. So I can soften the day a little......

My son has finally got a flight back from the Philippines but has to be tested/quarantined in Jo'burg when/if he arrives back on Sunday. Then has to get back to Cape Town. He is with 30 other Capetonians so hopefully it will be a smooth process but I am not holding my breath.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

sorCrer wrote:You don't sell you house, the first thing you do is immediately stop paying money to anyone you owe even the banks.
+1

Do not sell the house. Try and talk to anyone you owe money to get some relief. If they're not helpful, continue reading whatever they send and keep track of it, but stop replying and still do not pay them. Whilst that is happening, if you know any lawyers or anyone that knows a lawyer get in contact with them.

Other than that look for any work you can. If there's nothing and you genuinely don't care about the virus anymore, look into gig economy stuff (Uber driver etc) and delivery driver work, something like that is self employment and no one hires you. If you don't have a car, you must know people that do and aren't going to be using it for awhile, explain your situation to them.

Also look into what you can do on the black market. Making moonshine, selling cigarettes, whatever you can. If the government has produced this incomprehensible shit show, and you need money do it.

Also, just straight up beg. Ask your relatives/children for everything they have. If it stops you going under it'll work out cheaper/less hassle for them in the long run.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

OomPB wrote:Ek probeer my bes maar ek is in n rowwe spot. Help bietjie as ek hier afpak. Het my huis in die mark gesit in die mees kakste tyd moontlik
Ag Oom. I only saw this now and I am being flippant talking about booze. Sorry man. Vasbyt is all I can say. I hope it works out for you.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

ox wagon wrote:
sorCrer wrote:You don't sell you house, the first thing you do is immediately stop paying money to anyone you owe even the banks.
+1

Do not sell the house. Try and talk to anyone you owe money to get some relief. If they're not helpful, continue reading whatever they send and keep track of it, but stop replying and still do not pay them. Whilst that is happening, if you know any lawyers or anyone that knows a lawyer get in contact with them.

Other than that look for any work you can. If there's nothing and you genuinely don't care about the virus anymore, look into gig economy stuff (Uber driver etc) and delivery driver work, something like that is self employment and no one hires you. If you don't have a car, you must know people that do and aren't going to be using it for awhile, explain your situation to them.

Also look into what you can do on the black market. Making moonshine, selling cigarettes, whatever you can. If the government has produced this incomprehensible shit show, and you need money do it.

Also, just straight up beg. Ask your relatives/children for everything they have. If it stops you going under it'll work out cheaper/less hassle for them in the long run.
Seeing as you brought this up and we're such good friends. You don't perhaps have some spare madiba's laying around that you could kick this way?
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

Average Joe wrote:Seeing as you brought this up and we're such good friends. You don't perhaps have some spare madiba's laying around that you could kick this way?
Anyone who isn't cutting expenditure to basically nothing and doesn't already have a plan with close family to get through this, is crazy. The real damage is going to be economic and that hasn't started yet. This is a polite way of saying no.

Okes like PB who have two kids overseas (I think he does?), should be talking to them and telling them they need all their disposable.

Aren't you a farmer? Get cranking that moonshine chief.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ox wagon wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Seeing as you brought this up and we're such good friends. You don't perhaps have some spare madiba's laying around that you could kick this way?
Anyone who isn't cutting expenditure to basically nothing and doesn't already have a plan with close family to get through this, is crazy. The real damage is going to be economic and that hasn't started yet. This is a polite way of saying no.

Okes like PB who have two kids overseas (I think he does?), should be talking to them and telling them they need all their disposable.

Only have one in Korea. My car and house is paid, if I can sell both I'll be ok. Have a lot of unsecured debt. My work gave me a letter today, stating that my contract wont be renewed due to the non travelling from the Covid-19 lock down. I will claim at the banks credit insurance but dont think they'll pay. Must be retrentched or fired I think.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

ox wagon wrote:

Farm burnt down. I can brew beer but I need the Govment to open the shops that sell my ingredients. I'm a bit careful when it comes to anything that needs distilling. There's a fine line between selling methanol instead of ethanol and home built stills have a tendency to blow up.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Anyways the booze shops will be open on Monday and there will be no more money to be made there. I've been making some small furniture items form pallet wood (boere-chic) and all the ladies have been oohing and aahing but they all want the stuff for free. No ones got money now.
Maybe I should take the leftover pallet wood and start making coffins rather.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

Average Joe wrote:Farm burnt down. I can brew beer but I need the Govment to open the shops that sell my ingredients. I'm a bit careful when it comes to anything that needs distilling. There's a fine line between selling methanol instead of ethanol and home built stills have a tendency to blow up.
That's not the can do attitude the Ox business rescue plan requires. Get some potatoes and chuck them into a homemade still. Go to the burnt down farm and plant some dagga. If/when everything goes to shit, you'll at least have weed infused moonshine to sell in a few months.

All you farmer guys know a policeman or few. Go to the one you trust the most and inform on yourself (would any of this even have been illegal a few weeks back? Dagga is still legal but cigarettes and booze aren't? It's all insane), they will be your distribution agent and protection.

There you go.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

OomPB wrote:Only have one in Korea. My car and house is paid, if I can sell both I'll be ok. Have a lot of unsecured debt. My work gave me a letter today, stating that my contract wont be renewed due to the non travelling from the Covid-19 lock down. I will claim at the banks credit insurance but dont think they'll pay. Must be retrentched or fired I think.
Get on Skype to the one still overseas, demand all their money. Obviously soft peddle it more than that.

There you go.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Some good news.
(I can do with it)
edia Statement:

Clarity has been sought on the presentation made by the Minister of Health to the NCOP yesterday regarding the determination of alert levels for hotspots.
• An old slide was presented stating hotspots would remain at level 4. That slide is now out- dated and was inadvertently included in a presentation that had been updated.
• As announced by President MC Ramaphosa on the 24th May 2020, we confirm that the whole country will move to Alert Level 3 on the 1st June 2020.
• Further to that, government has taken measures to identify areas that have been defined as epidemiological hotspots. As clearly explained by the President in his speech, these are areas that have more than 5 infected people per 100 000 population, or areas where the infections are increasing at a fast pace.
• Government has immediately taken steps to intervene in areas that are regarded as hotspots by deploying experts and specialists who will implement measures to curb the spread. These areas also require heightened levels of tracing of contacts of positive patients, ensuring that those who are positive remain in quarantine/ isolation and those who cannot self-quarantine, are accommodated in quarantine facilities provided for by provinces.
• In some of these hotspots, cluster outbreaks have also been identified. This means, positive cases arising from people participating in the same activity within a specific area. These include factories, grocery shops, farms etc. Those areas also require a rapid response of screening, testing and the tracing of contacts. Cluster outbreaks drive the pandemic because spread occurs within the cluster then individuals take the virus home with them, thus causing community outbreaks.
• This therefore means that as the whole country moves to level 3, there will be constant assessment of each and every area and its rate of infection, in which case, further containment measures and restrictions may be considered. If the spread of the infection is not contained despite the above mentioned interventions, government will make a determination on whether to return that specific area, (i.e. metropolitan, district, sub district, ward) to alert level 4 or 5. This will be done rapidly and in an effort to contain and manage the spread, and also to ensure that our health facilities are not overwhelmed by the rapid rise of positive cases in that area.
• This therefore means that as the whole country moves to level 3, there will be a constant assessment of each and every area and its rate of infection.
Sards

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:
You don't sell you house, the first thing you do is immediately stop paying money to anyone you owe even the banks. Forget your conscience and make a slow and leisurely study of your debt issue. Leverage every bit you can off C19 and start making small controlled decisions.
This. We are all in the same boat. Claim UIF....I have fof the first time in my entire life...everybody understands. Just talk to people. That's all that they want ... I have a 3/4 bar overhead every month generally. I am barely turning over 200 k a month. Ok my overhead are reduced by salaries and negotiated payment holidays, but I have realised that unless you start , now, it just takes longer to catch up. And if you are available people will look for you. Dont ever give up. I don't care if I pass away from Covid because I have lived a good life and have no regrets...but I won't give up
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Sorry to hear about your problems, PB. Hopefully things will work out.

Generally I think that we will all eventually get exposed, and a lot of the vulnerable will get very ill or die, especially in my age group. For myself, I have good lungs but I don’t know how my treatment for subcutaneous melanoma will effect me.