Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

All things Rugby
Sards

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Somebody gifted me a bottle of OBS. In which they soaked a daggaplant for five weeks (they say). Smells like it , though.

Says it is for "medicinal use". Pain, arthritis etc.
God save us. I think I feel some pain coming

I have some Obies...and a plant I am hanging. Might try that...

Does it work...how does it taste
Sards

Post by Sards »

Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote::lol:

Boere-tequila

Someone I know is busy stoking "vodka" from potatoes ..
I was gifted "beer" from apples, (piss weak) and a "coffee" beer (strong as hell, ferments famously, now has a texture and strength not unlike Milk Stout.

Basically not much of a drinker, I find these "home crafts" interesting..
A few guys over here are making the "vodka" but they're not distilling only fermenting. It looks like dishwater and tastes like potato peels. No way I'm putting that kak in me. The pynapple/apple cider is a better bet but only if you follow proper hygiene and take your time with the fermenting. You have to sterilise everything you use to make beer and it takes at least a week to ferment under perfect conditions and it needs to stand for at least two weeks in the bottle before you can drink it. The guys are putting the stuff in an old bucket today and drinking it two days latter. It still tastes of anchor and will give you spuitpoep.
I see our boy has some real experience.

Pity I am not really a drinker. Mainly social and then I prefer my weed and will most of the time start with branners and then just keep adding coke.

It seems like an interesting project.

Emphasis on patience...I have that....and I never ever have a craving for alcohol.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Sards wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:Somebody gifted me a bottle of OBS. In which they soaked a daggaplant for five weeks (they say). Smells like it , though.

Soos kat pis.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Sards wrote:

Pity I am not really a drinker. Mainly social and then I prefer my weed and will most of the time start with branners and then just keep adding coke.

Emphasis on patience...I have that....and I never ever have a craving for alcohol.
I enjoy brewing. I use to love beer but cant drink to much since my thrombosis. The blood thinning medication does not work to good with the grog. In lock-down people that know me sent me a lot of stuff they made. For approval or bragging rights? I don't know. But I'm an honest fokor and will tell you straight up what I think. I've given a lot of advise over the last month. Some improved, some gave up. Brewing is not easy and it can be a lot of work.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

handyman wrote:5 bottles KWV left, but have ordered another box KWV for Monday as well as a box of Olof Berg.

Will be buying 3 cases of beer and 12 bottles white wine on Monday.
I got a 10 year Koos Wye Voete and 5 bottles of Blush 1 bottle J7B and another half a bottle Gin.

I cant drink to much. Will get dronk verdriet.
handyman

Post by handyman »

OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:5 bottles KWV left, but have ordered another box KWV for Monday as well as a box of Olof Berg.

Will be buying 3 cases of beer and 12 bottles white wine on Monday.
I got a 10 year Koos Wye Voete and 5 bottles of Blush 1 bottle J7B and another half a bottle Gin.

I cant drink to much. Will get dronk verdriet.
Oom weet Blush se ander naam is panty droppers? Gee dit maar vir die vrou...

Byt vas oom, hierdie is die tyd om te wys waarvan jy gemaak is. 'n Boer gaan lê nie.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Sards wrote:

Tastes like .. OBS. Slightly " flavoured" Actually not bad, quite ... mellow, "rustig"
Man can get ... hooked on that.
Tincture of marijuana. Medicine . They say .
Wilson's Toffee

Average Joe wrote:
Sards wrote:

I enjoy brewing. I use to love beer but cant drink to much since my thrombosis. The blood thinning medication does not work to good with the grog. In lock-down people that know me sent me a lot of stuff they made. For approval or bragging rights? I don't know. But I'm an honest fokor and will tell you straight up what I think. I've given a lot of advise over the last month. Some improved, some gave up. Brewing is not easy and it can be a lot of work.
As said, I am not really a drinker, either. Even so I love tasting different beers. I might start brewing AC (After Corona), it is interesting.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

No rugby for SA till December

CSA boss: New lockdown regulations a 'big boost' for cricket
29 minutes ago
Cricket will be allowed to resume under Level 3 of the national lockdown
News comes as 'big boost' with Proteas set to host India for three T20s in August
No players will be required to return to training or playing if they are not comfortable with doing so
Cricket South Africa (CSA) acting CEO Jacques Faul says government's decision to allow non-contact sports to return to play in South Africa is a "big boost".

The country moves into Level 3 of its national lockdown on Monday, and all professional sports teams and individuals can start training again after they have motivated their procedures to government.

Contact sports like soccer and rugby are only expected to return to play in Level 1 of the lockdown, but this development is good news for sports lie cricket, golf and tennis.

Cricket is still technically in its off-season, but a three-match T20 series against India on home soil is scheduled for August and, under these new regulations, it would be allowed to take place.

In a statement released on Saturday, Faul thanked the Department of Sport and Recreation South Africa (SRSA).

"This is a big boost for the operational side of our cricket," said Faul.

"We have been in regular contact with SRSA and the minister and they have been very supportive of the game in these difficult times.

"At this stage these regulations apply only to professional cricket and our next step will be to draw up a protocol covering the return to training and playing and submit it to SRSA for approval. I will immediately be calling a meeting of our Covid Steering Committee on Monday to get this process under way.

"Both our national teams and our franchises will in due time be given the green light to return to training.

"I have already had discussions with the South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA) and I would like to stress that no player, coach, support staff or administrator will be forced to return to training if they are uncomfortable with it at this stage."
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

S24
.SA Rugby welcomes return-to-train news
12:55 30/05/2020
Play Video
1m 13s

James Venter on Brussow comparison: Heinrich was second to none

Sharks flank James Venter is more than pleased to be compared to a former Springbok Heinrich Brussow.

SA Rugby has welcomed government's decision to allow professional contact sport to resume training in a staggered, controlled manner.
Professional sports teams now have 14 days to submit their proposals on how they will enforce safety protocols.
SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux says the organisation has already submitted a comprehensive, staged return-to-play protocols document.
SA Rugby has welcomed Saturday's announcement that professional sports teams will be able to resume training under Level 3 of the national lockdown.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

Sports minster Nathi Mthethwa made the announcement at a briefing on Saturday as he reported on his department's Covid-19 sector relief fund.

He announced that professional contact sport - which includes rugby - will be allowed to resume training in a staggered, controlled manner.

Non-contact professional sports, meanwhile, have been given the green light to resume training and playing.

All professional sports teams and administrators who want to resume training or playing now have 14 days to submit their proposals to government to map out, procedurally, how they will ensure the safety of the players and officials involved.

"This is the news sport has been waiting to hear as it allows us to begin to ramp up preparations for an eventual return-to-play," SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux said via press statement.

"We submitted a comprehensive, staged return-to-play protocols document to the department five weeks ago and we are ready to begin medical screening of players immediately.

"We will seek further clarity from the department on the application of the guidelines as they apply to contact training.

"But this is an opportunity for our players to enhance their lockdown training regimes by increasing their fitness work for an eventual return to play."

SA Rugby announced the suspension of all rugby on 18 March.
assfly

Post by assfly »

So anyone in the Western Cape sending their kids into school today?

Seems so odd that the province worst hit by the virus is sending kids back to school the soonest.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

assfly wrote:So anyone in the Western Cape sending their kids into school today?

Seems so odd that the province worst hit by the virus is sending kids back to school the soonest.
I need to travel to Stellenbosch/Paarl tomorrow. I am not one bit worried about the virus.

Walked into the bottlestore this morning, everything look like a special to me.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Was good to see the Struisbaai and Bredasdorp coming to life again.

Was a bit oissed about this
N24
Scientists advised Cabinet to go to Level 1, govt chose middle ground - Ramaphosa

President Cyril Ramaphosa has said that scientists gave government the green light to move to Level 1 of the nationwide lockdown.
However, he said, the World Health Organisation had called for the gradual easing of the lockdown.
Government decided to take the middle ground and gradually move from Level 4 to Level 3, and then Level 2 of the lockdown.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has said that scientists who are advising government on the response to the coronavirus crisis recommended that South Africa could move to Level 1 of the nationwide lockdown, as it had become a "blunt tool" in curbing the spread of the pandemic in the country.

But the government weighed this against advice from the World Health Organisation, which called for the gradual lifting of lockdowns across the world.

The president was speaking to a group of editors in a virtual forum with the South African National Editors' Forum on Sunday.

"The scientists are the ones who continue to lead our effort in all of this. They have advised us that we needed to impose a lockdown, which we did. They said it will help flatten the curve of the infections, and with that we will have sufficient time to prepare ourselves, to prepare our healthcare system, to prepare our tools to be able to deal with the spike that is to follow. They also said once we went through Level 5 and Level 4, they also said the lockdown has served its purpose. In fact what they were also advising was that you could quite easily go to Level 1," Ramaphosa said.

He said scientists had advised that "the lockdown has become a blunt instrument" and had served its purpose. Government was advised to rely on other tools to curb the spread of Covid-19 infections, such as promoting social distancing, wearing of masks and hygiene.

"But we also had advice from the World Health Organisation. The World Health Organisation was saying we advise that countries should ease lockdowns gradually and slowly and do so as the infection rate go down," Ramaphosa said.

The president said the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) and Cabinet were armed with both sets of advice and had decided to take the middle road.

ALSO READ | SA to move to Level 3, but risk of infections now even greater, warns Ramaphosa

Government had decided to move the country into Level 3 of the lockdown from Monday, which meant around eight million South Africans would return to work.

"Rather than rush quickly to Level 1, as advised through scientists, we said, let's go to Level 3 and gradually move to Level 2. This will also help give us time to be more ready throughout the country..." Ramaphosa said.

After nearly 60 days of tough Covid-19 lockdown restrictions, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a drop to Level 3, bringing a significant easing of measures to combat the deadly pandemic.

Answering questions from editors and journalists, Ramaphosa emphasised that the government's response was wholly guided by scientific opinion.

He maintained that it was time to open up the economy, "because we can't keep the economy shut forever and a day".

While acknowledging the risks of a spike in infections that came with Level 3, Ramaphsoa said the government was given a toolbox by scientists to use to flatten the rate of infections

"Having used possibly the big bazooka, and possibly the nuclear weapon, which is the lockdown, the hard lockdown - as we ease, we now need to use other tools," Ramaphosa said.

He said those tools included wearing masks and social distancing - adding that he was pleased that handshakes were a thing of the past.

Ramaphosa also conceded that the government's initial plan to leave hotspot areas at a higher alert levels would have been impractical to enforce.

Hotspots are areas with high infection rates and include the country's economic hubs.

"Originally, the intention was to place hotspot areas at a higher level than other areas, but it became evident that this would prove impractical and undermine efforts to reopen the economy," Ramaphosa said.

He used Ekhuruleni as an example of how, if it was left at Level 4 of the lockdown, it would have been impossible for people from the rest of the province to travel to that area for work.

"Having different areas on different levels will simply disrupt supply chains, create a multiplicity of regulations to enforce and even increase the movement between hotspots and other areas," he said.

Instead, government had decided to have a much more focused response in hotspots, Ramaphosa said.

He hoped the new set of interventions would work and that thegovernment would not have to place hotspot areas on higher alert levels.
We could have be fully back normal again.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Western Cape schools will be open to receive learners tomorrow
Share:
Minister Debbie Schäfer
31 May 2020
View all News
In accordance with the Gazette promulgated last week by Minister Motshekga, schools are to return on 1 June 2020.

We have been engaged in discussions at a national level over the weekend, and were awaiting the Minister’s announcement that was scheduled for 18h00 this evening. Given that this has now been postponed until tomorrow, we can no longer allow our schools to hover in a state of uncertainty.

Following the national minister’s earlier announcements, we have pulled out all the stops as a province to ensure that we are ready for the arrival of learners tomorrow. Principals and staff have worked tirelessly to get all the health and safety requirements in place.

R280 million has been spent on Personal Protective Equipment and cleaning materials. This includes:

2.4 million masks – 2 masks for each learner and WCED-employed staff member.
We have also provided over 7 000 non-contact digital thermometers for the screening process that every learner and staff member must follow each day, and;
millions of litres of hand sanitiser, liquid soap, disinfectant and bleach.
The PPEs required to welcome Grade 7 and 12 learners have been delivered. Further deliveries are forthcoming.

Extensive guidelines and protocols for all aspects of schooling have been issued to schools and are publicly available on our website: https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/back-school

The topics include safety and hygiene practices, the screening process, cleaning and sanitising, how to manage confirmed cases of Covid-19 at schools, safety in hostels and on learner transport, school feeding protocols, and more.

Learner transport has been arranged for tomorrow morning for those learners on the Learner Transport Scheme. Schools have also made preparations for the provision of school meals.

Learners have already begun to arrive at school hostels today, and parents have made preparations to take their children to school tomorrow morning. School staff and WCED officials have been working around the clock to ensure that all plans are in place to receive those learners on time.

Given these preparations, and the enormous effort put in by teachers and non-teaching staff alike, it would be unfair to delay all schools from re-opening.

There will also be some schools that do not receive learners tomorrow, either because they are not at a suitable state of readiness in terms of safety protocols, or they are closed for cleaning if there has been a confirmed case of Covid-19 at the school. These schools will communicate with their staff members and parents of learners in this regard.

Whilst we are aware of the many anxieties surrounding Covid-19, keeping schools closed indefinitely is not going to resolve them. The South African Paediatric Association has come out in favour of the phased re-opening. We are taking every precaution, but the longer schools remain closed, the poor will suffer the most. The disingenuous arguments by some that all schools should open simultaneously do not hold water. They argue that the poor will be left behind. Well, the reality is that the poor ARE being left behind now, as wealthier schools or parents have the means to continue online.

Our schools are overwhelmingly ready, including schools that serve poor communities. This has also been verified by the NECT.

We shall accordingly be open for learners tomorrow. The week will be used primarily for the orientation of learners into the new Covid-19 safety and learning environment.

There are also outstanding issues that need to be finalised over the coming week – including confirming a position on home schooling options – but these will not prevent the majority of our Grade 7s and 12s from returning.

I want to reiterate my sincere thanks to our schools for the work that has been done in preparation for the return of learners tomorrow, and I wish them the very best for the coming week.

Soundbite: Minister Schäfer - Western Cape schools open 1 June.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Things might get a bit interesting now. ...

From EWN news (also on News24)
JOHANNESBURG - The Pretoria High Court has declared the regulations promulgated for COVID-19 lockdown levels four and three as unconstitutional and invalid.

Reyno Dawid de Beer and Liberty Fighters Network challenged the regulations as set by Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, arguing that they encroached on and limited their rights as contained in the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.

The court found that the lockdown regulations indeed did not satisfy the rationality test and were not justifiable in an open and democratic society based on human dignity, equality and freedom as contemplated in Section 36 of the Constitution.

The judgment however changes nothing for now.

The declaration of invalidity on the rules is suspended until the minister reviews, amends and republishes the regulations in consultation with Cabinet.

The COVID-19 lockdown alert level three remains applicable.

"Declaration of invalidity is suspended until such time as the minister, after consultation with the cabinet, reviews, amends and republishes the regulations mentioned above with due consideration to the limitation each regulation has on the rights guaranteed in the bill of rights as contained in the constitution," read the ruling.

Although the applicants challenged several regulations, no arguments were made for the relaxation of laws regarding the blanket ban on the sale of tobacco products.

Judge Norman Davis has instead not ruled on the matter, saying that other courts would be dealing with it in the future.

These include challenges by the Fair-Trade Independent Tobacco Association, British American Tobacco and the Democratic Alliance (DA) among others.

Davis said that while Dlamini-Zuma’s declaration of a national state of disaster in terms of Section 27 of the Disaster Management Act in response to the COVID-19 pandemic was found to be rational, the regulations that followed were in a "substantial number of instances not rationally connected to the objectives of slowing the rate of infection or limiting the spread thereof".

Davis made several examples of such irrational decisions in the judgment, referring the limitations of exercise hours under level four and the total ban of night vigils ahead of funerals.

The minister has 14 days to comply with the court order, while she has also been ordered to pay for the costs of the first and second applicants.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

troglodiet wrote:Things might get a bit interesting now. ...

From EWN news (also on News24)
JOHANNESBURG - The Pretoria High Court has declared the regulations promulgated for COVID-19 lockdown levels four and three as unconstitutional and invalid.

Reyno Dawid de Beer and Liberty Fighters Network challenged the regulations as set by Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, arguing that they encroached on and limited their rights as contained in the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.

The court found that the lockdown regulations indeed did not satisfy the rationality test and were not justifiable in an open and democratic society based on human dignity, equality and freedom as contemplated in Section 36 of the Constitution.

The judgment however changes nothing for now.

The declaration of invalidity on the rules is suspended until the minister reviews, amends and republishes the regulations in consultation with Cabinet.

The COVID-19 lockdown alert level three remains applicable.

"Declaration of invalidity is suspended until such time as the minister, after consultation with the cabinet, reviews, amends and republishes the regulations mentioned above with due consideration to the limitation each regulation has on the rights guaranteed in the bill of rights as contained in the constitution," read the ruling.

Although the applicants challenged several regulations, no arguments were made for the relaxation of laws regarding the blanket ban on the sale of tobacco products.

Judge Norman Davis has instead not ruled on the matter, saying that other courts would be dealing with it in the future.

These include challenges by the Fair-Trade Independent Tobacco Association, British American Tobacco and the Democratic Alliance (DA) among others.

Davis said that while Dlamini-Zuma’s declaration of a national state of disaster in terms of Section 27 of the Disaster Management Act in response to the COVID-19 pandemic was found to be rational, the regulations that followed were in a "substantial number of instances not rationally connected to the objectives of slowing the rate of infection or limiting the spread thereof".

Davis made several examples of such irrational decisions in the judgment, referring the limitations of exercise hours under level four and the total ban of night vigils ahead of funerals.

The minister has 14 days to comply with the court order, while she has also been ordered to pay for the costs of the first and second applicants.
They'll just reword them.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Well its done. I have given up my one factory and we will only be operating from the other from now on. I am retrenching a third of my staff with a very heavy heart. They are my family. My wife has resigned as a director of the company and I will be solely responsible for it from now on. I am cashing in my retirement and we are going to open up a take away for her to run. Its going to cost a fortune but we need to generate more income.

Desperate times. Desperate measures.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:Well its done. I have given up my one factory and we will only be operating from the other from now on. I am retrenching a third of my staff with a very heavy heart. They are my family. My wife has resigned as a director of the company and I will be solely responsible for it from now on. I am cashing in my retirement and we are going to open up a take away for her to run. Its going to cost a fortune but we need to generate more income.

:(
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Good luck with the new venture Sards.
Catman

Post by Catman »

Sards wrote:Well its done. I have given up my one factory and we will only be operating from the other from now on. I am retrenching a third of my staff with a very heavy heart. They are my family. My wife has resigned as a director of the company and I will be solely responsible for it from now on. I am cashing in my retirement and we are going to open up a take away for her to run. Its going to cost a fortune but we need to generate more income.

sorry to hear that Sards. What sort of Takeaway?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Catman wrote:

Very sad times. I said to my wife that we opened our business during the global recession and survived Zuma. We will survive this. We are hardened campaigners now. She told me that she was worried about using my pension and what if it fails. I told her if we do it right it has to work.

We are opening a Burger shop. I have been talking to people in the industry and the secret to success is keeping it simple. As small a menu as possible. Great quality and good prices. But I want it to be classy.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

Very sad times. I said to my wife that we opened our business during the global recession and survived Zuma. We will survive this. We are hardened campaigners now. She told me that she was worried about using my pension and what if it fails. I told her if we do it right it has to work.

We are opening a Burger shop. I have been talking to people in the industry and the secret to success is keeping it simple. As small a menu as possible. Great quality and good prices. But I want it to be classy.
GO FOR IT!
Sards

Post by Sards »

Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

GO FOR IT!
2 Diablos for the cooking with work stations and a dbl fryer for the chips. At the back a boiling table, stock pot for ribs and prep tables and sinks. The name will be " the Charcoal Chef."

Just struggling to find the right premises
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Good luck Sards. This f...ing virus
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

GO FOR IT!
2 Diablos for the cooking with work stations and a dbl fryer for the chips. At the back a boiling table, stock pot for ribs and prep tables and sinks. The name will be " the Charcoal Chef."

Just struggling to find the right premises
You need to get a great burger recipe, a proper bun and to make your own chips. Start with a good chipping potato grown on the West Coast. Steam them in a vac pack, let them cool, blanch them in oil, let them cool, then fry them per order.
The topings etc are pretty easy to do
Sards

Post by Sards »

Lemoentjie wrote:Good luck Sards. This f...ing virus
My heart breaks every day when I see thousands of people standing along the road looking for work. I have to avert my eyes because you cant help everyone.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote: You need to get a great burger recipe, a proper bun and to make your own chips. Start with a good chipping potato grown on the West Coast. Steam them in a vac pack, let them cool, blanch them in oil, let them cool, then fry them per order.
We have a great butcher that supplies most of the good establishments with patties...we just need to test them. We need a very fatty patty because its going to be done on the Diablo.
Agree re the chips. Hand cut and blanched in water and fried. The best bun I have ever seen and tasted comes from a small business in Athlone industrial.

No Mr Delivery or Uber eats...those feckers take a third of your value.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote: You need to get a great burger recipe, a proper bun and to make your own chips. Start with a good chipping potato grown on the West Coast. Steam them in a vac pack, let them cool, blanch them in oil, let them cool, then fry them per order.
We have a great butcher that supplies most of the good establishments with patties...we just need to test them. We need a very fatty patty because its going to be done on the Diablo.
Agree re the chips. Hand cut and blanched in water and fried. The best bun I have ever seen and tasted comes from a small business in Athlone industrial.

Do your own patty................................bought in is often pressed very tight.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

This lockdown came at a great cost to people and the more you hear in the news the more you think it was just wit honnekak. When political leaders says things like the economy is racist and colonial it sounds like the covid thing was just the perfect excuse for a power grab. The Afriforum case also sheds some more light on this whole thing.
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry to hear Sards.

Have you researched some of the take-away burger joints, which are taking the US by storm - e.g. Shake Shack, Five Guys, etc?
Sards

Post by Sards »

beachboy

Post by beachboy »

Vleis wrote:
Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry to hear Sards.

Have you researched some of the take-away burger joints, which are taking the US by storm - e.g. Shake Shack, Five Guys, etc?
Excellent idea - I heard someone was opening or looking to open a Cape Town Shake Shack. I believe if you can be a little different to the opposition the people will come. I am not big on chips/fries but I was addicted to "curly fries" when I was in the USA last year. Never seen them locally but I am no expert. There are some good burger joints in Town like Clarkes where they double fried/toasted the buns and they were awesome.

Sauce is another key. Mr Chippies has a prego sauce, which they now sell as well. The youngsters I work for are addicted to the stuff.
Wilson's Toffee

Good luck, Sards. You may be on to something there - as in previous posts, my neighbour is doing very well with his hamburger takeaway shop. A very basic menu, with fewer luxury items. But hood ingredients, good service. And NO accounts, strictly cash..

I wish y'all luck and godspeed.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:

Good luck with the venture Sards :thumbup:

I'll keep a lookout and see if I can support it. A lot will depend on where you open and if delivery options can word I guess.
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

beachboy wrote:
Vleis wrote:
Sards wrote:
Catman wrote:

Sorry to hear Sards.

Excellent idea - I heard someone was opening or looking to open a Cape Town Shake Shack. I believe if you can be a little different to the opposition the people will come. I am not big on chips/fries but I was addicted to "curly fries" when I was in the USA last year. Never seen them locally but I am no expert. There are some good burger joints in Town like Clarkes where they double fried/toasted the buns and they were awesome.

Sauce is another key. Mr Chippies has a prego sauce, which they now sell as well. The youngsters I work for are addicted to the stuff.
I was with my boet in NYC last September, so I took him to a Shake Shack. I had been raving about the place beforehand, but he was very sceptical, as he knows that I'm partial to the odd junk food meal...plus it's what younger brothers are wont to do - i.e. disagree with ouboet. However, he was gobsmacked and insisted on having another Shake Shack burger the following day...and another in DC a few days later. :lol: :lol:
Sards

Post by Sards »

Way I see it still a way off...at the moment its just a concept. We met with our investment advisor yesterday and it was a very sobering discussion. We took it all down to the real nuts and bolts.
Firstly he is very pleased that we are diversifying. He feels that this is very important when your main business will shrink. Basically you need to supplement your lost income. There is no time period for an economic recovery.

So then we had to look at our strategy. That was the hard part. Acknowledging that you may be looking at things the wrong way and risking too much. Thankfully there was more positive than negative. He suggested we start small and build the concept. For eg. A trailer and see what the response is before investing more. I clashed here. The first impression is the lasting impression for me. And the first impression needs to be spot on. He suggested delivery by app which makes visibility less important and therefore you can look at a premises with a lower rental. He showed how the youth found it easier to order by app than go to the bother of driving out to eat.
I agreed and disagreed. Definitely an app by delivery managed by ourselves so that we put more profit in the pocket but I want something people can look at and I am proud of. That's the old school in me. I prefer to see and smell the experience rather than have a bloke drop off on the road wearing gloves and mask and awkwardly trying to hand over a food package ... I feel dirty when I take that package. I feel like I have to desanitise everything before I eat. Its a horrible experience.

Anyway so I want the more ambitious route and he gave us some great advice which my wife must now work on. Apparently the banks are particularly looking to lend to female entrepreneurs...who would have thought...maybe its time for us men to sit at home in our slippers and send our women off to work.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Sards wrote:Way I see it still a way off...at the moment its just a concept. We met with our investment advisor yesterday and it was a very sobering discussion. We took it all down to the real nuts and bolts.
Firstly he is very pleased that we are diversifying. He feels that this is very important when your main business will shrink. Basically you need to supplement your lost income. There is no time period for an economic recovery.

So then we had to look at our strategy. That was the hard part. Acknowledging that you may be looking at things the wrong way and risking too much. Thankfully there was more positive than negative. He suggested we start small and build the concept. For eg. A trailer and see what the response is before investing more. I clashed here. The first impression is the lasting impression for me. And the first impression needs to be spot on. He suggested delivery by app which makes visibility less important and therefore you can look at a premises with a lower rental. He showed how the youth found it easier to order by app than go to the bother of driving out to eat.
I agreed and disagreed. Definitely an app by delivery managed by ourselves so that we put more profit in the pocket but I want something people can look at and I am proud of. That's the old school in me. I prefer to see and smell the experience rather than have a bloke drop off on the road wearing gloves and mask and awkwardly trying to hand over a food package ... I feel dirty when I take that package. I feel like I have to desanitise everything before I eat. Its a horrible experience.

Anyway so I want the more ambitious route and he gave us some great advice which my wife must now work on. Apparently the banks are particularly looking to lend to female entrepreneurs...who would have thought...maybe its time for us men to sit at home in our slippers and send our women off to work.
I wouldn't consider myself as part of "the youth" anymore, but I agree with the guy. If you want to tap into the Under 40 market you are going to have to get on one of the popular delivery apps. Your biggest challenge in the city is NOT delivery, it is DISCOVERY.

You are going to have to get noticed and because people are not congregating and meeting with friends and family, "word of mouth" doesn't really work right now. You need to become visible in digital marketplaces (delivery apps are the go-to for food in this regard) and community platforms (community social media groups, blogs etc).

You are 100% right that the delivery apps are going to cut into your profits, but that's unfortunately not something you can do a lot about; you'll have to budget that into your business model. They take a lot of your headaches away too: Marketing, Ordering, Payment and Delivery.

Over time you can wean yourself off them once you have a loyal following and use other ways to make yourself discoverable. But then you will have to make sure you can provide convenient ordering mechanisms (via your website, WhatsApp...or your own app but don't go there if you can avoid it), payment mechanisms and employ your own drivers...and the reality is you won't be able to compete with these companies in that space because that is their sole focus. It is a different game in small towns where these apps don't dominate the market as much.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Cashing in your pension and starting a new business in these times is extremely risky. I get supporting a fellow SA'n in trouble and egging ( 8) ) him on, but I'd be extremely cautious. In fact, I wouldn't do it.
Blake

Post by Blake »

handyman wrote:Cashing in your pension and starting a new business in these times is extremely risky. I get supporting a fellow SA'n in trouble and egging ( 8) ) him on, but I'd be extremely cautious. In fact, I wouldn't do it.
Fortune favours the brave.

In uncertain times like these there are massive opportunities if you make the right calls at the right times. Access to capital is going to be a challenge so anybody that can get their hands on some already has an inside track.

Risk is amplified, but so is reward.

A fast food food venture is risky at the best of times; but there are opportunities if you make the right decisions. Hope for his part awards has the bases covered; but it seems like he has been sniffing around that game for some while anyway. It’s not like he is going in cold.

I do think he is underestimating the technical complications of the operation a bit (ordering, payment, delivery), but then again, I might be over complicating them.