Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

All things Rugby
User avatar
Blake
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Cape Town

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Blake »

Sards wrote:
Blake wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Our local BP Express which was operating this morning and I've been into multiple times this week was boarded up completely and closed for decontamination when I drove past there now. :shock:
In a 10km radius from my house we've had:
1x Shoprite
2x Checkers
2x Woolworths
1x Spar
1x PnP

All closed down for decontamination due to staff infections in the last 6 weeks.

My company currently has 13 confirmed cases, and 40+ in self-quarantine due to symptoms / exposure.
you better stay away from the office dude...and order your food online and make sure you decontaminate everything before packing away...
Hardly. I have to go into the office on Wednesday and will be doing so very carefully.
Certain things cannot be avoided.

It’s all about avoiding the unnecessary risks whenever possible.
User avatar
Sandstorm
Posts: 28882
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chickenrunning...

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sandstorm »

C’mon Blake. You’ve been here long enough to know that you can’t talk sense into Sards. He’s stubborn as a mule and will never admit he’s making a mistake.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Sandstorm wrote:C’mon Blake. You’ve been here long enough to know that you can’t talk sense into Sards. He’s stubborn as a mule and will never admit he’s making a mistake.
What mistake would I be making. You can't stop the spread.
I will take my chances with the other 99 percent that survive it thank you...

I don't know if you saw the video of a bloke throwing himself into a fuel fire ... that is desperation. I can't even fathom the depths of despair you would be in to do that.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Glorious day...early morning down ar the beach...then the family and I went for ice cream on the beach whilst my eldest and I took some pics of the surfing . Then to the farm with the horses....beach and stabled packed.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:Glorious day...early morning down ar the beach...then the family and I went for ice cream on the beach whilst my eldest and I took some pics of the surfing . Then to the farm with the horses....beach and stabled packed.
Fokken practically snowing up here en ou poes koud. So farcough you can't.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:Glorious day...early morning down ar the beach...then the family and I went for ice cream on the beach whilst my eldest and I took some pics of the surfing . Then to the farm with the horses....beach and stabled packed.
Fokken practically snowing up here en ou poes koud. So farcough you can't.
I made the mistake of wearing Jean's...should have kept my surf shorts on. Dude everyone is out and about. Just picked up some fish and chips and now having a picnic dude...sensory overload
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:Glorious day...early morning down ar the beach...then the family and I went for ice cream on the beach whilst my eldest and I took some pics of the surfing . Then to the farm with the horses....beach and stabled packed.
Fokken practically snowing up here en ou poes koud. So farcough you can't.
I made the mistake of wearing Jean's...should have kept my surf shorts on. Dude everyone is out and about. Just picked up some fish and chips and now having a picnic dude...sensory overload
I'm praying they made a mistake on your prostate test and Doctor 'Finger' Msutu needs to give you another check up. Just to confirm the all clear. :thumbup:
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Sauce

I'm praying they made a mistake on your prostate test and Doctor 'Finger' Msutu needs to give you another check up. Just to confirm the all clear. :thumbup:
You lot are vokked evil. You wishing me Prostate cancer and Blake that I die from Covid. I dont think about it boet...struggling to piss but not going to bother having a check up. Living the life day by day.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote: You wishing me Prostate cancer

You should get your eyesight tested as well...
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote: You wishing me Prostate cancer

You should get your eyesight tested as well...
You are one grumpy vokker
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

So it's a vascular ailment...well that's me vokked. When I went surfing this afternoon after work about 2.30 pm I decided that until I get a long board I am staying out of the surf because my cardio vascular levels were tested to the limit.

Ok besides almost dying from a heart attack it was vokken lekker to get that first session in. Cold water over the head, a gentle breeze and lots of sun.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:So it's a vascular ailment...well that's me vokked. When I went surfing this afternoon after work about 2.30 pm I decided that until I get a long board I am staying out of the surf because my cardio vascular levels were tested to the limit.

Ok besides almost dying from a heart attack it was vokken lekker to get that first session in. Cold water over the head, a gentle breeze and lots of sun.
On the bright side you can get your hair cut again.... :o :lol:
User avatar
Chilli
Posts: 15936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Chilli »

Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Centers allowed to open, with restrictions.
I can't wait to hear what they will be and when we can open.

It looks like there will be an attack on booze...........................all the crime committed because of its abuse. Eish! x( :thumbdown:

Nothing on smoking?
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Chilli wrote:Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Centers allowed to open, with restrictions.
I can't wait to hear what they will be and when we can open.

It looks like there will be an attack on booze...........................all the crime committed because of its abuse. Eish! x( :thumbdown:

Nothing on smoking?

The restaurant news is excellent news...

We are still trying to get the bank to come in on the new venture...we are running out of time to secure the lease but with an extra 200k we can make it pop....the decor will be a huge expense...
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

Ja those numbers on domestic abuse make for frightening reading.

When I lived in Dubai you used to have to apply for a alcohol license. There was a cap on your monthly spend that was directly linked to your salary. Those earning under a certain salary couldn't buy booze. It's a very draconian system, but in a sense it worked as it stopped the poor labourers from squandering their earnings on booze.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Centers allowed to open, with restrictions.
I can't wait to hear what they will be and when we can open.

It looks like there will be an attack on booze...........................all the crime committed because of its abuse. Eish! x( :thumbdown:

Nothing on smoking?

The restaurant news is excellent news...

We are still trying to get the bank to come in on the new venture...we are running out of time to secure the lease but with an extra 200k we can make it pop....the decor will be a huge expense...
Do it yourselves ffs.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Centers allowed to open, with restrictions.
I can't wait to hear what they will be and when we can open.

It looks like there will be an attack on booze...........................all the crime committed because of its abuse. Eish! x( :thumbdown:

Nothing on smoking?

The restaurant news is excellent news...

We are still trying to get the bank to come in on the new venture...we are running out of time to secure the lease but with an extra 200k we can make it pop....the decor will be a huge expense...
Do it yourselves ffs.
Time management...will have to go quickly...but lets see this week .
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:Hotels, Restaurants and Conference Centers allowed to open, with restrictions.
I can't wait to hear what they will be and when we can open.

It looks like there will be an attack on booze...........................all the crime committed because of its abuse. Eish! x( :thumbdown:

Nothing on smoking?

The restaurant news is excellent news...

We are still trying to get the bank to come in on the new venture...we are running out of time to secure the lease but with an extra 200k we can make it pop....the decor will be a huge expense...
Do it yourselves ffs.
Time management...will have to go quickly...but lets see this week .
Spending money on decor is straight out of the how to lose money book. Keep it plain and simple and let teh food do the talking.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

Also a lease. Tell them you'll sign for a year but want the first 3 months free because Covid. DO NOT sign a multi-year lease. The rent will be your biggest cost and is make or break stuff.
User avatar
handyman
Posts: 14188
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by handyman »

:lol:
User avatar
beachboy
Posts: 1466
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by beachboy »

Sards the timing is right to open a takeaway I think. I saw in my social media someone opening a new "rib shack" takeaway in the Southern Suburbs and it getting some free advertising. We have had a few clients die of the virus in the past two weeks. We have an estates department and it seems we have had a lot less deaths this winter than last winter so far. Maybe because people are taking care of themselves?
User avatar
Average Joe
Posts: 5593
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Average Joe »

assfly wrote:Ja those numbers on domestic abuse make for frightening reading.

When I lived in Dubai you used to have to apply for a alcohol license. There was a cap on your monthly spend that was directly linked to your salary. Those earning under a certain salary couldn't buy booze. It's a very draconian system, but in a sense it worked as it stopped the poor labourers from squandering their earnings on booze.
Do you recon an abusive husband/father would quit beating his wife/kids if he's not on the piss? I'm not a specialist but my understanding is that it's a behavioural thing. The grog probably enhances it but I don't think it's the cause. My wife had an abusive prick of a father and her first husband was the same. I asked her and she said that when they drank it was bad but sometimes it would happen without any alcohol involved. It just depended on what mood they were in.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:Also a lease. Tell them you'll sign for a year but want the first 3 months free because Covid. DO NOT sign a multi-year lease. The rent will be your biggest cost and is make or break stuff.
we are negotiating 6% of turnover with a month free to set up...
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

Average Joe wrote:Do you recon an abusive husband/father would quit beating his wife/kids if he's not on the piss? I'm not a specialist but my understanding is that it's a behavioural thing. The grog probably enhances it but I don't think it's the cause. My wife had an abusive prick of a father and her first husband was the same. I asked her and she said that when they drank it was bad but sometimes it would happen without any alcohol involved. It just depended on what mood they were in.
It wouldn't stop it completely, I agree that it is a behavioral thing. But the numbers from the last few weeks have shown how alcohol accelerates it unequivocally.

An alcohol license program such as I described would be difficult, it not impossible to apply to South Africa. But it's an interesting approach.
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

sorCrer wrote:Spending money on decor is straight out of the how to lose money book. Keep it plain and simple and let teh food do the talking.
Yes and no. Based on what Sards is putting together, you're right that he should probably focus on getting the food right and getting sales in.

But long term you have to invest money in design and decor; restaurant patrons are fickle and the interior environment is important to them. If they don't see an effort being made, they will drift elsewhere. The better the interiors, the more you can charge for the food.
User avatar
Chilli
Posts: 15936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Chilli »

assfly wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Do you recon an abusive husband/father would quit beating his wife/kids if he's not on the piss? I'm not a specialist but my understanding is that it's a behavioural thing. The grog probably enhances it but I don't think it's the cause. My wife had an abusive prick of a father and her first husband was the same. I asked her and she said that when they drank it was bad but sometimes it would happen without any alcohol involved. It just depended on what mood they were in.
It wouldn't stop it completely, I agree that it is a behavioral thing. But the numbers from the last few weeks have shown how alcohol accelerates it unequivocally.

An alcohol license program such as I described would be difficult, it not impossible to apply to South Africa. But it's an interesting approach.
If we are being told the truth about the numbers, then the curfew and ban on booze speaks for itself.
User avatar
handyman
Posts: 14188
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Do you recon an abusive husband/father would quit beating his wife/kids if he's not on the piss? I'm not a specialist but my understanding is that it's a behavioural thing. The grog probably enhances it but I don't think it's the cause. My wife had an abusive prick of a father and her first husband was the same. I asked her and she said that when they drank it was bad but sometimes it would happen without any alcohol involved. It just depended on what mood they were in.
It wouldn't stop it completely, I agree that it is a behavioral thing. But the numbers from the last few weeks have shown how alcohol accelerates it unequivocally.

An alcohol license program such as I described would be difficult, it not impossible to apply to South Africa. But it's an interesting approach.
Agree 100%. Almost impossible to implement, but alcohol definitely increase the problem.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

I just feel for the children...from experience a woman adjusts to the abuse because of a number of factors....you make them feel pretty and wanted. Financial security etc.

So no matter how much you talk to them and give them support to get out of the relationship they will end up back with " that guy ".......

Obviously its a friend of the wifes and I am sick of the drama...its an emotional roller coaster and you just know that you are wasting your time.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12460
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by sorCrer »

assfly wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Spending money on decor is straight out of the how to lose money book. Keep it plain and simple and let teh food do the talking.
Yes and no. Based on what Sards is putting together, you're right that he should probably focus on getting the food right and getting sales in.

But long term you have to invest money in design and decor; restaurant patrons are fickle and the interior environment is important to them. If they don't see an effort being made, they will drift elsewhere. The better the interiors, the more you can charge for the food.

I thought it was a fast food / burger joint?
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:
sorCrer wrote:Spending money on decor is straight out of the how to lose money book. Keep it plain and simple and let teh food do the talking.
Yes and no. Based on what Sards is putting together, you're right that he should probably focus on getting the food right and getting sales in.

But long term you have to invest money in design and decor; restaurant patrons are fickle and the interior environment is important to them. If they don't see an effort being made, they will drift elsewhere. The better the interiors, the more you can charge for the food.
:thumbup:

Thats what I keep telling the missus...first impressions.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote: I thought it was a fast food / burger joint?
At least the food will be prepared in a proper Forno....not gas grilled dude. And dont tell me there is no difference...theres a huge vokken difference.
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote: I thought it was a fast food / burger joint?
At least the food will be prepared in a proper Forno....not gas grilled dude. And dont tell me there is no difference...theres a huge vokken difference.
Is it strictly take-away or will you have space to sit down and chow?
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

So who is still working from home?
User avatar
Average Joe
Posts: 5593
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Average Joe »

Probably better to start of with takeaway only at first and later on expanding to sit-in. That way you could put off on the decor a bit until later when you turned a bit of profit. Would be better than to fork out for everything all at once without knowing if it will take or not.
User avatar
Blake
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Cape Town

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Blake »

sorCrer wrote:Spending money on decor is straight out of the how to lose money book. Keep it plain and simple and let the food do the talking.
This. Old school thinking.

Nobody is coming into your joint for the next 6 months. Rather spend that cash on a proper ordering-payment-delivery system and some digital marketing...and make sure the food is amazing.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

Average Joe wrote:Probably better to start of with takeaway only at first and later on expanding to sit-in. That way you could put off on the decor a bit until later when you turned a bit of profit. Would be better than to fork out for everything all at once without knowing if it will take or not.

No chance...all in or nothing....cant stand these half pregnant projects.
User avatar
Average Joe
Posts: 5593
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Average Joe »

Sards wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Probably better to start of with takeaway only at first and later on expanding to sit-in. That way you could put off on the decor a bit until later when you turned a bit of profit. Would be better than to fork out for everything all at once without knowing if it will take or not.

No chance...all in or nothing....cant stand these half pregnant projects.
What half pregnant projects? Anything that's worth spending on needs to pay for itself as soon as possible or it's not worth spending on. You want to build a fully operational restaurant in this volatile times when a food truck is all you need.
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

Sards wrote:No chance...all in or nothing....cant stand these half pregnant projects.
Have you done anything like a feasibility study for a business case yet?
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:
Sards wrote:No chance...all in or nothing....cant stand these half pregnant projects.
Have you done anything like a feasibility study for a business case yet?
Full business plan...designs done...the lot....just difficult for me to assist and run Steel-line...
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: Coronavirus update - South Africa progress

Post by assfly »

Sards wrote:Full business plan...designs done...the lot....just difficult for me to assist and run Steel-line...
Good stuff. It's amazing how many people jump into this line of business without one, and not fully understanding their market.
Post Reply