Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm 

Sards wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
So no one on here got tested. Do anyone know someone that's been tested? And do they still charge for the tests?

We point the thermometer gun at each others head when in the mood and play Corona Roulette....still a healthy 35.6

31.2 . Wife is a hot 34.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm 

That's scanning not testing. You could have a fever for a billion other reasons. I reckon the figures are all a bunch of bull and does not reflect the true impact and probably never will unless they go door to door and test everyone. No one will go and test voluntarily unless they're very ill.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 pm 

According to n info graphics page Limpopo completed something like 3651 tests during the two months of lockdown. That is bugger all.

Yet, people do not die inordinately, here. Or even get sick. Guess it will hit later.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:34 pm 

How do they go about testing people? Do they just grab people of the street and test them? Some people don't even show symptoms or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone go and test for COVID19 if they just have a scratchy throat?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:36 pm 

Not happy about Tulbagh and Ceres screwing the Cape Winelands numbers.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:49 pm 

I'm not happy about that poes Galant signing for the useless Stormers. :x

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

To be fair Sauce he has been donnerse average fora while now.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

We'll fix him boet.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sards wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
So no one on here got tested. Do anyone know someone that's been tested? And do they still charge for the tests?

We point the thermometer gun at each others head when in the mood and play Corona Roulette....still a healthy 35.6

31.2 . Wife is a hot 34.

Currently 33.2

When I am active like playing with the kids it goes up. Sitting in front of the telly its 33 and there sbouts

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:34 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

All they can afford lately really....he has fallen so far off the pace that he is not even featured in Whites future. With what the Bulls get from trading Gelant they can buy 4 Willemse 's

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:26 pm 

Average Joe wrote:
How do they go about testing people? Do they just grab people of the street and test them? Some people don't even show symptoms or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone go and test for COVID19 if they just have a scratchy throat?

Track and trace is one of the main methods in the W/Cape. Tracking those who have been in in contact with Covid positive people.

Chatting to a mate who works for one of the big medical aids and he was saying one of their clients have been in intensive care for a few weeks and has run up a bill of R800 000+. I am not sure if that is just exaggerated office talk or the real thing. May be due to underlying heart/lung conditions and required operations. My Mom was in high/intensive care for a week or two and the bill was massive.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm 

beachboy wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

Track and trace is one of the main methods in the W/Cape. Tracking those who have been in in contact with Covid positive people.

Chatting to a mate who works for one of the big medical aids and he was saying one of their clients have been in intensive care for a few weeks and has run up a bill of R800 000+. I am not sure if that is just exaggerated office talk or the real thing. May be due to underlying heart/lung conditions and required operations. My Mom was in high/intensive care for a week or two and the bill was massive.

Medical Aid is a must.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm 

Average Joe wrote:

I was questioned (scanned) at my office. If I answered two questions "Yes" on the questionnaire I would have been tested. O answered all "No"

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm 

assfly wrote:
Do you think you're setting the bar a bit high Blake? South Korea is a much more developed country with a lot more money and a very demographic. You're still way ahead of the rest of the continent.

I wasn’t setting a bar with my comment. Just saying we’ve pretty much done everything that can be done given our resources; and now we have to endure the rest.

We can’t implement an advanced surveillance solution technologically, and even if we could I don’t think it would work with our population. We are just too resistant to that kind of intrusion.

Government has done what it can at tremendous cost and but the people have let us down. If we could trust everybody to follow all the protocols (vigilance, hand washing, masks, social distancing, being alert for symptoms) we could probably return to semi-normal but we aren’t even able to get these simple things right.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 pm 

Average Joe wrote:

Reagents and test kits are in short supply globally so testing (in the Western Cape at least) is very strategic.

Contact tracing is the top priority. If you have tested positive teams from the department of health try to get in touch with as many people as they can that you have had contact with. Typically those people will then get a nasal swab test, but sometimes just a questionnaire depending on the nature of the interaction with the infected person. Regardless of the result those people are requested to self quarantine for 2 weeks and report in if they exhibit any symptoms.

If you test positive, you obviously have to isolate, and you then become a new chain that the contact tracers try to chase down.

Then there is community screening. Teams move around between areas and screen people that might be exhibiting some symptoms or are concerned that they might be infected. They are questioned and temp is taken. If a specific criteria is met, they can also be formally tested. This is basically to try and detect infection clusters that break out where tracing has failed.

Tracing becomes incredibly difficult when, for example, grocery store staff test positive; which has happened to the Checkers, Woolworths and Shoprite in my immediate vicinity all within the last 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 pm 

We are all going to get it whether now or later.
It all depends on how much you are prepared to sacrifice before you get it imho.
I also believe this would hardly have had such dramatic measures if it were not for social media.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 am 

Sards wrote:
It all depends on how much you are prepared to sacrifice before you get it imho.
I also believe this would hardly have had such dramatic measures if it were not for social media.

All media. Esp. MSM.

They love a good catostrophy. And most gpverents love the opportunity to introduce authoritarian measures and do a total power grab. The fight against corona will evrntually be dwarfed by the peoples" fight against oppressive government.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 am 

Sards wrote:

At least 70% of us are going to get it yes. That is the threshold for basic herd immunity to be effective.

The challenge is trying to manage who gets infected and when they get infected. Getting those two parameters right determines if you have a 0.5% fatality rate or a 12% fatality rate.

The longer you can stave off getting infected yourself, the better. The population will get closer to herd immunity, and hopefully there will be an effective treatment by then that will reduce the chances of you requiring hospitalisation. At the moment 12%-15% of infected people need a hospital bed and these people typically occupy them for 10-14 days. Once the ICU beds run out You get mass graves like in Italy, New York or Iraq.

I agree and disagree on the social media part. In scenarios like these Social Media isn’t the problem per se, it’s just the messenger, the real problem is people’s lack of understanding of data, statistics and risk management.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:52 am 

Blake wrote:
Sards wrote:

At least 70% of us are going to get it yes. That is the threshold for basic herd immunity to be effective.

The challenge is trying to manage who gets infected and when they get infected. Getting those two parameters right determines if you have a 0.5% fatality rate or a 12% fatality rate.

The longer you can stave off getting infected yourself, the better. The population will get closer to herd immunity, and hopefully there will be an effective treatment by then that will reduce the chances of you requiring hospitalisation. At the moment 12%-15% of infected people need a hospital bed and these people typically occupy them for 10-14 days. Once the ICU beds run out You get mass graves like in Italy, New York or Iraq.

I agree and disagree on the social media part. In scenarios like these Social Media isn’t the problem per se, it’s just the messenger, the real problem is people’s lack of understanding of data, statistics and risk management.

Why are you mentioning herd immunity? We don't get immunity from other forms of Corona virus.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:56 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Blake wrote:
Sards wrote:

Why are you mentioning herd immunity? We don't get immunity from other forms of Corona virus.

Is this drunk sorc or sober sorc posting?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:59 am 

There’s a difference?

I kid.... :)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 am 

My daughter is a teacher/department head of a previously disadvantaged school. She is back at work trying to prepare for the 200 odd matrics who will be returning on the 1 June. They dont have the cleaners and resources so they are also having to disinfect classrooms themselves. The government sent them some supplies yesterday - 5 thermometers, none of which actually work. The school is fundraising to buy PPE products as they cant rely on the authorities. A friend who is a school secretary of a former model C school says that the thermometers they received also do not work. I know the schools in my area are sourcing thermometers themselves and a lot more than 5. My neighbor supplies them at between R1/2000 each.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 am 

The general consensus of everyone I speak to is that the hard lock-down is not worth it. Like my opinion before this all started. We've closed down a whole country, the economy is completely gone, many lost their jobs and livelihoods,people starving to death, hundreds if not thousands of small businesses closed. All to save less than 10% of the population.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sards wrote:

All media. Esp. MSM.

They love a good catostrophy. And most gpverents love the opportunity to introduce authoritarian measures and do a total power grab. The fight against corona will evrntually be dwarfed by the peoples" fight against oppressive government.

This is very worrying

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:52 am 

beachboy wrote:
My daughter is a teacher/department head of a previously disadvantaged school. She is back at work trying to prepare for the 200 odd matrics who will be returning on the 1 June. They dont have the cleaners and resources so they are also having to disinfect classrooms themselves. The government sent them some supplies yesterday - 5 thermometers, none of which actually work. The school is fundraising to buy PPE products as they cant rely on the authorities. A friend who is a school secretary of a former model C school says that the thermometers they received also do not work. I know the schools in my area are sourcing thermometers themselves and a lot more than 5. My neighbor supplies them at between R1/2000 each.

My big hope is that the DA get their act together and that with the next election people vote for change.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 am 

handyman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Blake wrote:
Sards wrote:

Is this drunk sorc or sober sorc posting?

Unless I'm on holiday I don't touch a drink until around 9pm.

Now back to the question. There is no proper evidence of immunity yet to C19.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 am 

I lost my contract, lost 15% of my pension, lost all rental income. Hope the virus get me and kill me. Have nothing left.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:03 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Blake wrote:

We don't? I wasn't aware of that.

It is my understanding that once you've had a virus and you survived and recovered you have antibodies and an immunity. The duration of that immunity varies from a couple of years to the rest of your life, depending on the virus itself, and if the virus mutates significantly enough as to not be detectable by your existing antibodies. Vaccines are used to stimulate the production of these antibodies without actually getting the virus.

The goal is to eventually achieve some kind of herd immunity in the population. Covid19 will always be there, lurking the background (like flu, or TB, or HIV) but once a certain level of herd immunity has been reached, transmission will be slowed down significantly, and new infections will be limited to people that haven't had it yet, haven't been vaccinated or people whose immunity has lapsed. At these levels hospitals will be able to cope with hospitalizations without collapsing completely.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 am 

OomPB wrote:
I lost my contract, lost 15% of my pension, lost all rental income. Hope the virus get me and kill me. Have nothing left.

You still have 85% of your pension left, your health and your family. That's a lot and more than most. I know times are tough, but now is not the time to lose hope.

Tyd om op ons knieë te gaan.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 am 

Blake wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Blake wrote:

We don't? I wasn't aware of that.

It is my understanding that once you've had a virus and you survived and recovered you have antibodies and an immunity. The duration of that immunity varies from a couple of years to the rest of your life, depending on the virus itself, and if the virus mutates significantly enough as to not be detectable by your existing antibodies. Vaccines are used to stimulate the production of these antibodies without actually getting the virus.

The goal is to eventually achieve some kind of herd immunity in the population. Covid19 will always be there, lurking the background (like flu, or TB, or HIV) but once a certain level of herd immunity has been reached, transmission will be slowed down significantly, and new infections will be limited to people that haven't had it yet, haven't been vaccinated or people whose immunity has lapsed. At these levels hospitals will be able to cope with hospitalizations without collapsing completely.

I do hope this is the case but there is no serious evidence of this yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:10 am 

OomPB wrote:

HTFU, Oompie. It's going to get worse. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am 

sorCrer wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Dude, now you are being a doos. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am 

OomPB wrote:

Jammer om te hoor Oom, maar moet nie moed opgee nie. Ek ken Oom nie, maar soos ek jou hier sien is jy n taai bliksem. Soos Handyman ook gese het Oom het nog oom se gesondheid en familie. Hou moed, dit gaan beter raak.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am 

DraadkarD wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Dude, now you are being a doos. :thumbdown:

Actually didn't mean that harshly, just being realistic. I lost a sickening amount of money over the first few weeks of this in the markets. In fact, Sibanye fell from around R37 on 6 March to R16 in a week.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:05 am 

Lemoentjie wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sards wrote:

All media. Esp. MSM.

This is very worrying

It is also total bullshit.

Which people? The boers? they might have the imagination to fantasize about rebellion against an ANC Government, but they don't really have the support.

Food riots may be a distinct possibility, but an insurrection against Government that will dwarf Corona? Fantasists' wet dream.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am 

sorCrer wrote:
OomPB wrote:

You said it was going to just go away. All we had to do was stay the fok at home.

@Oom I lost everything I had before this kak. Back then I still had hope, I still had my office job and the wife had her business. I've been on unpaid leave for April as I had no leave left. I returned to work last week Thursday but we're on shifts so I'll work a week a month. My earnings at the office is mainly commission, now more than ever. You cant meet targets when you just work a week a month. On top of all that I'm with fokon FNB. They only offer you more debt to pay your dept with. Don't know how I'm going to pay back their covid19 relief loan on top of my normal dept which I cant pay anyways. The wife's business is fokked. She wont open after this and it will take her years to get back to where she was. But even after all this I'm positive things will come right again. Just keep on keeping on Oom.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:17 am 

Average Joe wrote:
You said it was going to just go away. All we had to do was stay the fok at home.

That was Ox.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am 

We had a 2 hour long Skype meeting yesterday evening. It looks like we will all be getting salary cuts and or retrenchment. As the Hotel is not going to open till at least Level 1 which is December I am in a bit of shit. New Baby, wife not working as she is looking after Harry. He is 9 months old and she stil hasn't received her maternity UIF payout yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

That was Ox.

Nee dronk gat dit was jy.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am 

Chilli wrote:
We had a 2 hour long Skype meeting yesterday evening. It looks like we will all be getting salary cuts and or retrenchment. As the Hotel is not going to open till at least Level 1 which is December I am in a bit of shit. New Baby, wife not working as she is looking after Harry. He is 9 months old and she stil hasn't received her maternity UIF payout yet.

Ouch....that's kak news ..... good luck mate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 54  Next