Working from home

All things Rugby
Azlan Roar

Working from home

Post by Azlan Roar »

Mandated by the company :x

I like working from home when everyone else is in the office or on client site, but now that it's an edict everyone expects you to be available for calls and online meetings :evil:

How am I supposed to spend the day idling and watching pron when colleagues keep rudely interrupting me?
DrSnow

Re: Working from home

Post by DrSnow »

Azlan Roar wrote:Mandated by the company :x

I like working from home when everyone else is in the office or on client site, but now that it's an edict everyone expects you to be available for calls and online meetings :evil:

How am I supposed to spend the day idling and watching pron when colleagues keep rudely interrupting me?
Get another laptop and set your email notification and jabber notifications to their highest volume.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Point them to reports that MS Teams has failed this mrning for 2 hours, and that Webex is creaking under the laod of all the free subscriptions Cisco have handed out
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Saint wrote:

Point them to reports that MS Teams has failed this mrning for 2 hours, and that Webex is creaking under the laod of all the free subscriptions Cisco have handed out
We use Zoom and it's holding up well.

VP for EMEA has requested that everyone uses video so we can be more "face to face" and even with that switched on it's been glitch free so far :frown:
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

I already home work for a large company (one day a week travelling into the office).

They've now banned travel to any site other than your base location for anything that's absolutely business critical. and every department/function has been split into two with only one half able to be in the office at a time on a fortnightly rotation.

It's all a bit over-engineered and in practice everyone is just working from home full time where roles allow. We are currently switching to Zoom from Jabber (and Webex). Seems to work fine at the moment, but will be interesting to see how the infrastructure holds out on that front
Openside

Post by Openside »

I have lost count of the number of people ‘working from home’ I have played golf with!!
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

All those cünts that rob houses when we’re all in work are going to have to get more creative.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Azlan Roar wrote:
Saint wrote:

VP for EMEA has requested that everyone uses video so we can be more "face to face" and even with that switched on it's been glitch free so far :frown:
Difference in scale I think. Cisco have more than doubled the number of individual users in Europe in the last week through their free Coronavirus offer, and their simply isn't the infrastructure in place yet to hold up
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Saint wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
Saint wrote:

Difference in scale I think. Cisco have more than doubled the number of individual users in Europe in the last week through their free Coronavirus offer, and their simply isn't the infrastructure in place yet to hold up
our nomad vpn has died today - 20000+ people being told to work from home and the system can't cope. All being told to ensure video chat is off in an attempt to minimise bandwidth
croyals

Post by croyals »

It astonishes me how poor people’s basic skills with Webex/teams etc are. Put yourselves on f**king mute, use compatible browsers and for christ’s sake put some clothes on
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

croyals wrote:It astonishes me how poor people’s basic skills with Webex/teams etc are. Put yourselves on f**king mute, use compatible browsers and for christ’s sake Switch of the shitty webcam[S]put some clothes on[/S]
:lol:
Fixed
croyals

Post by croyals »

Laurent wrote:
croyals wrote:It astonishes me how poor people’s basic skills with Webex/teams etc are. Put yourselves on f**king mute, use compatible browsers and for christ’s sake Switch of the shitty webcam[S]put some clothes on[/S]
Fixed

Either or both!
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

My schools meeting this week have been cancelled instead we'll design home based tasks or covert our normal lessons in home based tasks, for the pupils because schools are basically sure the government will suspend them at some point soon. When that happens, we upload the work and then my work days are like an extra holiday for that period :proud:
croyals

Post by croyals »

Openside wrote:I have lost count of the number of people ‘working from home’ I have played golf with!!
I may have gone yesterday to go and pick up my clubs off a mate who had borrowed them...
C69

Post by C69 »

:(( I wish I could work from home atm.
New guy

Post by New guy »

I was looking forward to working from home until I realised my wife will also be working from home tomorrow x(
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Right I’ve got about ten litres of rum and vodka, and an emergency bottle of ouzo.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Plato'sCave wrote:Right I’ve got about ten litres of rum and vodka, and an emergency bottle of ouzo.
I have a lot of gin and tonic, but only 1 lemon. :x
DrSnow

Post by DrSnow »

I have people at work who are now WFH but are demanding to take their office chairs with them.

I can't decide whether it's a good idea or if I'll ever see the chairs again and why I actually care.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:Right I’ve got about ten litres of rum and vodka, and an emergency bottle of ouzo.
I have a lot of gin and tonic, but only 1 lemon. :x
I had a similar lemon problem. I also drank all the wine. If this goes The Road direction I will be in trouble
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Always knew you were a good sort. :thumbup:
Womack

Post by Womack »

DrSnow wrote:I have people at work who are now WFH but are demanding to take their office chairs with them.

I can't decide whether it's a good idea or if I'll ever see the chairs again and why I actually care.
Ah, the special chair brigade
Womack

Post by Womack »

Plato'sCave wrote:All those cünts that rob houses when we’re all in work are going to have to get more creative.
Office burglary seems the obvious move
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Womack wrote:
DrSnow wrote:I have people at work who are now WFH but are demanding to take their office chairs with them.

Ah, the special chair brigade
In Oz they get really upset about working from home because of OHS.

I am a contractor and got sent an email form my agency saying that we should work from home now but a rep had to come and inspect your home setup.

I didn't reply with my normal sarcastic self but somebody must have.

A follow up email advised us that a picture would suffice :lol:

I stupidly took my laptop home before my trip to test Teams as part of my rollout.

Now I have to work the whole 2 weeks of my quarantine

:x
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m tarmaccing the lounge today.
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Plato'sCave wrote:All those cünts that rob houses when we’re all in work are going to have to get more creative.
Office blocks are rich pickings
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

croyals wrote:
Laurent wrote:
Fixed

Either or both!
Got a new laptop from work 2 weeks ago 1st thing I did is block the cam.

when at home I have the lid closed anyway.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

c69 wrote::(( I wish I could work from home atm.
Me too.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

c69 wrote::(( I wish I could work from home atm.
So do I.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

I've offered to work from home but they told me to stop being a lazy bastard.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Mixing it up between work from home and working in the office which is getting quieter with each passing day.

I'd go a bit stir crazy working from home all the time.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Bro do you even disaster work?

Book out spare time for meetings or admin in calendar, cut real meetings short due to "stuff coming up" and make judicious use of do not disturb function*

*if you're anything like the lazy prick I ended up sacking after the Kaikoura earthquake.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I've worked from home for the last 9 years...so the part that is difficult for me is that my release valve of social activity (sport and drinking) has gone. And that is before we hit the school closure stage and they send me back my two little ones and my teenager - there will be only work on the inside of my room and chaos outside. Thank f*ck I've got a dog to walk.
julian

Post by julian »

Very difficult times everywhere.

We can send all the back office employees home but can´t stop the manufacturing, if we don't produce we don't sell, if we don't sell we don't have cash for salaries.

At all levels this is is getting serious.

My only hope is that we will go through (hopefully) this for a couple of more months as southern hemisphere is expecting the peak of infected in 8 weeks and then the economy will have a some sort of economic rebound.

I feal really sorry for all the lost lives in the meanwhile.

If only govs spend more money on health and prevention instead of arms, selfish idiots.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Spent all day at my desk at home busier than usual (too many cnuts “working at home and trying to prove it”) so at 5pm went for a nice walk around the park. Spring must be here as there were millions of midges flying around my head and in my eyes.

3rd Word problems
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

'Work' from home anyway and it's bloody peaceful. Now the other half has been told to work from home too. :((
booze

Post by booze »

Azlan Roar wrote:
Saint wrote:

you will probably be glad of the face to face contact after a while. I have a remote contract so am home based but normally only do 1 day at week at home. I use zoom extensively as well. its fairly stable but there will be more demands on it and on our broadband capacity too.

it is going to be a very testing time and working from home all the time sucks big time
Saint

Post by Saint »

Spent the whole day on webinars briefing and advising customers on WFH technologies and employee best practice. Kind of amazed how unprepared UK plc was for this.

We had 90% WFH today, will be locking the doors on all our offices at 5pm Friday and will be 100% virtual.

Teams had another major outage again today of around 4 hours, Webex has real problems - Cisco are nearly 1000% over subscribed and dial-in is failing as service providers don't make enough money off the 020 number. Zoom might be about to turn video off as they can't scale bandwidth for video

Reports that the PSTN network is starting to struggle as too many people start to use home landlines for working; the ratios are all wrong to support that

Most of this is fixable over the next week or ao, but it's highlighting a lot of deficiencies in overall UK infrastructure design
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Saint wrote:Spent the whole day on webinars briefing and advising customers on WFH technologies and employee best practice. Kind of amazed how unprepared UK plc was for this.

We had 90% WFH today, will be locking the doors on all our offices at 5pm Friday and will be 100% virtual.

Teams had another major outage again today of around 4 hours, Webex has real problems - Cisco are nearly 1000% over subscribed and dial-in is failing as service providers don't make enough money off the 020 number. Zoom might be about to turn video off as they can't scale bandwidth for video

Reports that the PSTN network is starting to struggle as too many people start to use home landlines for working; the ratios are all wrong to support that

Most of this is fixable over the next week or ao, but it's highlighting a lot of deficiencies in overall UK infrastructure design
To be fair its not just the UK
One of my canadian clients is doing staged hours working from home as their VPN cant handle the volume of users
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Video is over the top and unnecessary. I did a conference call with a large bank last week from a parking lot and it went fine. It's not like you're actually looking at who is talking anyway.