How safe is your industry during this Crisis

All things Rugby
frillage

Re: How safe is your industry during this Crisis

Post by frillage »

Salix wrote:Tree Surgeon. Gonna be tough. Although I spoke to a client today, who we manage some retirement homes for, he was asking are we okay to go onsite during this crisis!
Have to make room for the graves somehow.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

I'm in the VFX/Animation industry, hard to say what'll happen. Production on most big films and TV shows will shut down so there'll be less opportunities there. But there may be a chance of more fully animated films/shows and more opportunities for remote work. And a certain large VFX company in my hometown which is mostly staffed by foreign nationals will have been hugely affected by the borders closing so, depending on what contracts they can get, there may be opportunities there.

I reckon I'll be ok.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

I’m in the public sector and working in what has been classed as an important project so should be ok. If anything there have been positives - consultation on a new org design was delayed yesterday without a new date so for people worried about that, that’s been some good news.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

I’m Prince Philip’s butler :?
C69

Post by C69 »

Safe? Its bloody dangerous.
NHS worker in Ventilation and ICU etc
Pretty much gauranteed to be around for a while.
And things are set to change for ever
backrow

Post by backrow »

My main job, I work as n-emea dental consumables demand manager - should be safe enough as a decent part of our portfolio is PPE (masks, wipes, sanitisers etc) which can of course be used for normal medical needs. Non viral related health care still goes on and that includes dentistry, so I should in theory be lucky enough to still have a job.

Would imagine all of our big ticket stuff (machines) and profitable stuff (cosmetic & whitening) that I was due to take on next month will have been put on hold. I’m on leave this week so no idea right now.

Good luck everyone out there , even the bellends on here - nobody deserves to lose their life or a loved one or their livelihood to the bloody virus :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote:My main job, I work as n-emea dental consumables demand manager - should be safe enough as a decent part of our portfolio is PPE (masks, wipes, sanitisers etc) which can of course be used for normal medical needs. Non viral related health care still goes on and that includes dentistry, so I should in theory be lucky enough to still have a job.

Would imagine all of our big ticket stuff (machines) and profitable stuff (cosmetic & whitening) that I was due to take on next month will have been put on hold. I’m on leave this week so no idea right now.

Good luck everyone out there , even the bellends on here - nobody deserves to lose their life or a loved one or their livelihood to the bloody virus :thumbup:

I’m fairly certain it’s almost impossible for a dentist to go bust in the UK
backrow

Post by backrow »

bimboman wrote:
backrow wrote:My main job, I work as n-emea dental consumables demand manager - should be safe enough as a decent part of our portfolio is PPE (masks, wipes, sanitisers etc) which can of course be used for normal medical needs. Non viral related health care still goes on and that includes dentistry, so I should in theory be lucky enough to still have a job.

Its totes something I should have considered going into tbf
My dentist is a normal, mid range private one in Surrey, and has an Aston Martin and a gorgeous set of kids and a gorgeous wife with a gorgeous set of everything.
Double

Post by Double »

Azlan Roar wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:I'm EMEA VP of Sales for Kimberly-Clark.

My annual bonus is looking safe.
:lol:
You got a spare stash of Andrex

and the rest ;)
:lol:

When I was first coming through I did a lot of KC's European patents. Had to sit down with one of the old bloke partners and discuss all these cases for new tampon applicators and a whole brand of godawful products called 'inter-labial sanitary towels'... I specifically remember you guys had one patent to a nappy which would sing songs when it got pissed on. I'm guessing that one never made it to the shelves.

Come to think of it, we still do all your work, if you could turn some of that cash back to your IP department that'd be grand :thumbup:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Our company has recently already been moving towards diversifying to public works and infrastructure projects, so as to not be exposed by any big downturn in commercial and residential private work which has been most of our bread and butter as long as I’ve been here. So it remains to be seen if a) we’re far enough down that road to avoid major pain (unlikely) and b) if the local authorities will still have the funds to go through with the works we’ve been bidding (definitely not a given).
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I'd have thought it was almost impossible to make a living.

What?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Automotive. industry is pretty farked. Was heading for a downturn anyway, but now nobody is able or willing to buy a car at the moment and plants are shutting down. Company has drawn down about $15 billion credit to get us through......
Keith

Post by Keith »

bimboman wrote:
bimboman wrote:

What?
Oh dear
DOB

Post by DOB »

Tony Blair's Therapist wrote:Wine biz. Absolutely farked. I just started working on behalf of a new winery to open up new distribution channels, and clients I'm calling are literally laughing at me for offering new products right now. So I'm not expecting my 6-month contract which ends in June to be renewed. At which point I will be in the sh*t.
Have loads of friends in the Wine, some of whom post an annoying amount of their business stuff on FB (that by any other business’s standard ought to be on LinkedIn if at all) and the phrase “retention is the new acquisition” has come up multiple times.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Homer wrote:Automotive. industry is pretty farked. Was heading for a downturn anyway, but now nobody is able or willing to buy a car at the moment and plants are shutting down. Company has drawn down about $15 billion credit to get us through......
Tesla are making everyone in their Fremont factory show up to work, even with the Bay Area shelter in place order.

Elon must think he’ll bounce back well.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Defence. So, should be fine.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Between my civvy job as a paramedic and being a CMT Paramedic as a Reservist I think I'll scrape by.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Home deliver super premium pet food, business is good
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

DOB wrote:
Homer wrote:Automotive. industry is pretty farked. Was heading for a downturn anyway, but now nobody is able or willing to buy a car at the moment and plants are shutting down. Company has drawn down about $15 billion credit to get us through......
Tesla are making everyone in their Fremont factory show up to work, even with the Bay Area shelter in place order.

Elon must think he’ll bounce back well.
Eat the rich
Petros

Post by Petros »

normilet wrote:Pharma - pretty solid.
+1
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

bimboman wrote:

Do you mean at the moment, or have you finally completely lost it?
Petej

Post by Petej »

Plato'sCave wrote:Defence. So, should be fine.
Defence aerospace. Should be okay.
henry

Post by henry »

Theflier wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Theflier wrote:Insurance

Business is huge, will collapse in days or weeks
Would this be covered by insurance or is it considered an act of god?
Covered
A broker then?
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Petej wrote:
Circle the wagons guys, I think we'll be able to defend this ably.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

henry wrote:
Theflier wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Theflier wrote:Insurance

Business is huge, will collapse in days or weeks
Would this be covered by insurance or is it considered an act of god?
Covered
A broker then?
Don't talk to the Admiral like that ! :x
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Petej wrote:
Yeah, aerospace for me too, mainly.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Gardening. Biggest issue I will have is how many of my elderly clients come through this. 😕
frillage

Post by frillage »

BlackMac wrote:Gardening. Biggest issue I will have is how many of my elderly clients come through this. 😕
Globus is your best man for business advice over that.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Petej wrote:

Not exactly rocket science, tbf.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Petej wrote:
Not exactly rocket science, tbf.
I wouldn’t get in a flap about it.
brat

Post by brat »

I find this absolutely ridiculous in the current environment

Dentistry and related fields are literally the most dangerous jobs to be in right now

All non emergency related dental services should be shut down everywhere

I haven’t practiced dentistry for a long time as I’m maxfax now but I’ve got old friends that are still practicing and are continuing to do so for financial reasons - but it’s a huge risk with cross infection
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Global networking and IT services. China has been quiet for the the last 3 months, but suddenly is waking up again and the phone is ringing again. Hopefully this is an indication of a short shutdown and back to normal soon for everyone.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

My work supports the vaccine industry. So things are looking great!
panamax

Post by panamax »

Shipping , as previously mentionned should be ok , especially the tanker sector that is making big money due to the current oil price war ...
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Tourism. 40% of UK staff made redundant. Other 60% at home not working.
I will have some work that needs doing at the beginning of April. After that the business owner takes a decision on whether to fold or not.
I also have a part time job with an office catering co. My last information is from a week ago. The events of the last week, especially Monday must mean their income is now zero. I would imagine they must be considering mothballing.

I do not know if there will be anything left when things recover. I suspect the main one will not as I can not see it getting through 12-16 weeks. The other lad will probably be able to borrow enough to tide over.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Leinster in London wrote:Tourism. 40% of UK staff made redundant. Other 60% at home not working.
I will have some work that needs doing at the beginning of April. After that the business owner takes a decision on whether to fold or not.
I also have a part time job with an office catering co. My last information is from a week ago. The events of the last week, especially Monday must mean their income is now zero. I would imagine they must be considering mothballing.

I do not know if there will be anything left when things recover. I suspect the main one will not as I can not see it getting through 12-16 weeks. The other lad will probably be able to borrow enough to tide over.
Genuinely the best of luck LiL, that sounds a world away from the gilded lives too many on the bored live. You're clearly a talented individual, carry that positivity forward. Nike ... Just do It! (yeah, I know, its pish :roll: _)
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

brat wrote:

Dentistry and related fields are literally the most dangerous jobs to be in right now

I haven’t practiced dentistry for a long time as I’m maxfax now but I’ve got old friends that are still practicing and are continuing to do so for financial reasons - but it’s a huge risk with cross infection
Brat, where?

I've a very good friend who's a maxfax consultant at uch.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

News Television...

Thriving on this, but due to a recent managerial "restructure" and a supervisor on leave, there have been no contingency plans put into place for our team if we have to go into lockdown...

So in that regards, this place will be f**ked... because we can't work from home, we're short on trained freelancers, and they can't just bring in anyone else to do the job.
Saint

Post by Saint »

HighKingLeinster wrote:IT Sales

Hard to measure as some customer segments will be farked, others will take a hit in the short/medium term and others should be fine.
If your firm can get through an almost guaranteed downturn, the upswing when we come out of this will be huge.
brat

Post by brat »

happyhooker wrote:
brat wrote:

Brat, where?

I've a very good friend who's a maxfax consultant at uch.
Auckland, Nz