How fast do you fall asleep?

All things Rugby
RuggaBugga

How fast do you fall asleep?

Post by RuggaBugga »

Just laying in bed reading next to the Mrs who announces she's going to sleep. I swear she's asleep and heavy breathing in less than a minute. I wasn't even boring her with one of my tales of derring do, she does it everytime. It's like bottled narcolepsy.

I reckon I take a good 10 minutes to fall asleep usually.

Maybe she's a Cyborg sent from the future to marry and then not shag me thereby preventing me from siring a great leader of the resistance. Z1000.
Winnie

Re: How fast do you fall asleep?

Post by Winnie »

Depends how tired I am
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

You shouldn't retire until you're buggered.

Mrs jdogscoop usually goes to bed well before me, reads and then falls fast asleep.

I wait until I'm exhausted, then crash.

On the weekend, I drink beer, talk shit here, and then hit the pit, often several hours after the mrs hits the sack.

In summary, I recommend waiting until you are very tired until going to bed.
frankster

Post by frankster »

RuggaBugga wrote:Just laying in bed reading next to the Mrs who announces she's going to sleep. I swear she's asleep and heavy breathing in less than a minute. I wasn't even boring her with one of my tales of derring do, she does it everytime. It's like bottled narcolepsy.

I reckon I take a good 10 minutes to fall asleep usually.

Maybe she's a Cyborg sent from the future to marry and then not shag me thereby preventing me from siring a great leader of the resistance. Z1000.
Usually less than 10 seconds
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Seconds. Read until I pass out.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Within about 5 mins
julian

Post by julian »

Miliseconds, the problem is that I sleep less than 5 hours per day.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Generally I'm out like a light. I execise lots and only use my bedroom for sleeping. I try not to fart around on my phone in bed and if I do it's dimmed as much as possible with the blue light filtered out. I read my Kindle to unwind. The backlight on that doesn't bother me or keep me awake.
Most of the time I'll get through about a page before I'm nodding off. Then I put it down and am asleep in moments.

My missus reads shit on her phone for ages with the backlight up high, and then complains that she's tired the next day. Plenty of times she'll try start a conversation in bed while I'm already asleep and then get snotty when I grunt at her to leave me alone.

Phones in bed are a disaster for sleep./
assfly

Post by assfly »

I take ages. Usually because of my existential pain of existence kicks in, and I find myself overwhelmed with questions about how the earth started, is there a God, where do we go when we die. Usually every night.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

assfly wrote:I take ages. Usually because of my existential pain of existence kicks in, and I find myself overwhelmed with questions about how the earth started, is there a God, where do we go when we die. Usually every night.
By accident
No
Nowhere.

Hope that helps
assfly

Post by assfly »

:lol:

I'll let you know
handyman

Post by handyman »

Within 10 to 45 minutes. If not, I will be awake the whole night.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

It used to be at least an hour in my teenage/student years, but nowadays it takes about 10 minutes :smug:

I'd recommend either reading or watching tv/clips with your head sideways. The extra effort for your brain to watch/read at such an angle provides that extra nudge of fatigue.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I drop a moderate amount of brewskis on a Sunday, the third leg in my trifecta of days drinking during the week.

Out like a light by about 9pm, and I sleep like a log until around 7am on Monday morning.

Nice, Gary.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Stop looking at screens and posting on the interweb before you try to get to sleep, and you'll get to sleep more quickly.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Salanya wrote:It used to be at least an hour in my teenage/student years, but nowadays it takes about 10 minutes :smug:

I'd recommend either reading or watching tv/clips with your head sideways. The extra effort for your brain to watch/read at such an angle provides that extra nudge of fatigue.
Screen time bad. Read, completely relaxes me.

Interstingly, if I lie on my back and read, I'll stay awake longer. Read with my head sideways on the pillow and I'm gone in minutes.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Nolanator wrote:Generally I'm out like a light. I execise lots and only use my bedroom for sleeping. I try not to fart around on my phone in bed and if I do it's dimmed as much as possible with the blue light filtered out. I read my Kindle to unwind. The backlight on that doesn't bother me or keep me awake.
Most of the time I'll get through about a page before I'm nodding off. Then I put it down and am asleep in moments.

My missus reads shit on her phone for ages with the backlight up high, and then complains that she's tired the next day. Plenty of times she'll try start a conversation in bed while I'm already asleep and then get snotty when I grunt at her to leave me alone.

Phones in bed are a disaster for sleep./
These two are not going the distance. Sad face.

:((
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

jdogscoop wrote:I drop a moderate amount of brewskis on a Sunday, the third leg in my trifecta of days drinking during the week.

Out like a light by about 9pm, and I sleep like a log until around 7am on Monday morning.

Nice, Gary.
Booze induced sleep is crap. Those 10 hours are not 10 good hours.

I've noticed that my resting heart rate while sleeping is significantly higher after drinking, compared to without.

My HR wil hit roughly 50bpm while sleeping. If I've had a skinful, it'll be more like 70bpm for a good few hours and eventually drop down towards the usual.

Drink sleep is shit. Don't mistake it for being valuable.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Nolanator wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:I drop a moderate amount of brewskis on a Sunday, the third leg in my trifecta of days drinking during the week.

Nice, Gary.

I've noticed that my resting heart rate while sleeping is significantly higher after drinking, compared to without.

My HR wil hit roughly 50bpm while sleeping. If I've had a skinful, it'll be more like 70bpm for a good few hours and eventually drop down towards the usual.

I didn't say I drink a lot on Sunday. Given I feel alert all day on Monday, I'm taking it.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

You do seem to drink quite a bit jdogscoop (like home drinking). Just an observation.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Nolanator wrote:
Salanya wrote:It used to be at least an hour in my teenage/student years, but nowadays it takes about 10 minutes :smug:

Screen time bad. Read, completely relaxes me.

Interstingly, if I lie on my back and read, I'll stay awake longer. Read with my head sideways on the pillow and I'm gone in minutes.
Yep, it's really very effective.

I go between reading and youtube videos - the mood wants what it wants.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Nice, Gary.
You don't even hear the council backing in the truck to get the empties do you?
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Nolanator wrote:

Nice, Gary.

How?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

koroke hangareka wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Nice, Gary.

How?
Presumably a Fitbit or similar
Blake

Post by Blake »

5 mins or 5 hours. Depends on the day I've had.
sewa

Post by sewa »

I am disappoint, this is PR for gawd sake, where are the guys saying they shag the missus three or four times each night before rolling over and leaving her to sleep in the wet patch
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

happyhooker wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Nice, Gary.

How?
Presumably a Fitbit or similar
Yeah, Garmin watch.
While there's clearly a reasonable margin for error with wrist monitors, it's remarkable how different my heart rate is when I've drank a bit. Not even enough to be hungover the next day, but a few pints makes your body work hard to scrub it all out.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

YOYO wrote:You do seem to drink quite a bit jdogscoop (like home drinking). Just an observation.
It's pretty much the only drinking I do.

Aren't you Irish? Who is on the couch here?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

grievous wrote:

Nice, Gary.
You don't even hear the council backing in the truck to get the empties do you?
No, I honestly don't. My apartment is on one of the nice sides of the building.

The truck backs in the same side alleyway as First Choice Liquor I understand, which makes sense.

Efficient.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

I sleep way better after a few pints, I also tend to have more energy when exercising the next day too. I presume it's the combination of carbs and solid sleep. Since giving up carbs in the afternoon I notice the days after I don't drink I'm really flat in the pool or if I go for a run.

Depends though. Some nights I'll be up for hours, some nights I'm out like a light
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

jdogscoop wrote:
YOYO wrote:You do seem to drink quite a bit jdogscoop (like home drinking). Just an observation.

I am Irish but believe it or not we don’t tend to fit the stereotype.. anymore. These modern and woke times have changed us. I still love a great drink every month or so but not during the week, definitely not.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Nice, Gary.
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? I do Wednesday Friday and Saturday. Not counting beers at lunch.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

handyman wrote:Within 10 to 45 minutes. If not, I will be awake the whole night.
Snap. Me too.
grievous

Post by grievous »

YOYO wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

I am Irish but believe it or not we don’t tend to fit the stereotype.. anymore. These modern and woke times have changed us. I still love a great drink every month or so but not during the week, definitely not.
Oh hark the coronavirus!
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Kahu wrote:

Nice, Gary.
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? I do Wednesday Friday and Saturday. Not counting beers at lunch.
No, the favourite Fridee, Satdee, Sundee option. Doesn't get in the way of me kicking great goals at work. :smug: :uhoh:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

6.Jones wrote:
handyman wrote:Within 10 to 45 minutes. If not, I will be awake the whole night.
Snap. Me too.
Spare a thought for the nervous little greyhound(s).
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

grievous wrote:
YOYO wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

Oh hark the coronavirus!
I won’t deny that a few coronas would be really nice evening. Something light and refreshing.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Depends on whether it's a group voice conference call or a group videoconference call.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

10~15 seconds after the light is out and head hits the pillow. My wife gets into bed earlier and reads for an hour or so before she crashes.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Brain.... your knackered, tired and yawning, go to bed..

5 mins later, Brain... how do dragons blow out the candles on their birthday cakes?...