Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual Time

All things Rugby
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual Time

Post by naki »

Officially official. The end of days, for all time. Your greatest team ever, eras be damned. You can pick your favourites or who you actually think was the best, rules schmules. Have at it.*

*of course expect low numbers of ABs to arouse suspicion and derision

1 Os du Randt
2 Sean Fitzpatrick
3 Jazz Muller
4 John Eales
5 Victor Matfield
6 Richard Hill
7 Saint Richie
8 Hennie Muller
9 Joost vd Westhuizen
10 Dan Carter
11 Jonah Lomu
12 Tim Horan
13 BOD
14 David Campese
15 JPR Williams

Could name a completely different team tomorrow. Not totally happy with shifting his wing but wanted both Campo and Jonah. Also not happy with how many Yarpies came to mind instantly. In short, probably not my actual GOAT XV. Who cares, it’s the apocalypse
User avatar
J Man
Posts: 5769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by J Man »

Limited to players I saw play:

1- Alex Corbisiero
2- Sean Fitzpatrick
3- Carl Hayman
4- Brodie Retallick
5- John Eales
6- Jerome Kaino
7- Thierry Dusautoir (I feel dirty, sorry Ritchie :blush: :blush: :blush:)
8- ZinZan Brook
9- Fourie du Preez
10- Dan Carter
11- Jonah Lomu
12- Tim Horan
13- Brian O'Driscoll
14- Ben Smith
15- Matthew Burke
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Sonny Blount »

In these times it should be a 15 of players you have been physically in contact with or closest to.
Last edited by Sonny Blount on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Enzedder »

I would find a place for Danie Gerber - best I have ever seen I reckon.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6285
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Dark »

Any one who lists a team without McAwe and Cullen causes me severe vomiting at the insult on their aura
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13227
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote:Any one who lists a team without McAwe and Cullen causes me severe vomiting at the insult on their aura
I'm happy to cause you some vomiting Dark.

I'm going to do a World and an ABs to play each other of players I've seen in my lifetime (I think I've seen them all live) and obviously could likely change over night, especially the World XV, not so much the AB XV:

World XV

15. Blanco
14. Rupeni
13. Sella
12. Horan
11. Campese
10. Wilkinson
9. Farr Jones
8. Gavin
7. Magne
6. Poedevin
5. Matfield
4. Eales
3. Leonard
2. Kearns (that felt dirty).
1. Os Du Randt

ABs XV

15. Cullen
14. Kirwan
13. Bunce
12. Nonu
11. Lomu
10. Carter
9. Smith
8. Z Brooke
7. Jones
6. Kaino
5. BBBR
4. Whitelock
3. Brown
2. Fitzpatrick
1. Woodcock
User avatar
J Man
Posts: 5769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by J Man »

Sonny Blount wrote:In these times it should be a 15 of players you have been physically in contact or closest to.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian Cashmore, Ma'a Nonu, Mils Muliaina and Chris Cairns. Not much of a team :?
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Tehui »

Enzedder wrote:I would find a place for Danie Gerber - best I have ever seen I reckon.
I'll go with that. The only centre who can compete with him (in my humble opinion) is Phillipe Sella.
User avatar
J Man
Posts: 5769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by J Man »

UncleFB wrote:2. Kearns (that felt dirty).
Jesus, Keith Wood if we are picking a non kiwi surely.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13227
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by UncleFB »

J Man wrote:
UncleFB wrote:2. Kearns (that felt dirty).
Jesus, Keith Wood if we are picking a non kiwi surely.
Kearns was actually a good player, better than Woods of that era in my book. Plus, fuck the Irish. ;)
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by naki »

Much like Desert Island discs used to allow the Bible and the complete works of William Shakespeare as default options, it should go without saying that McCaw is an automatic inclusion and that anyone that actively excludes him is as blasphemous as those who would reject the Bible and as artless as those who would reject Bill :nod:
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 20008
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by CrazyIslander »

15. Cullen
14. Campese
13. Sella
12. Nonu
11. Lomu
10. Carter
9. Joost
8. Read
7. McCaw
6. M. Jones.
5. Meads
4. Retalick
3. Hayman
2. Wood
1. Os du Randt
User avatar
J Man
Posts: 5769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by J Man »

15. Cullen
14. Campese

11. Lomu
Someone needs to make tackles and kick. There is just zero balance there.
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 20008
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by CrazyIslander »

J Man wrote:
15. Cullen
14. Campese

11. Lomu
Someone needs to make tackles and kick. There is just zero balance there.
What?
Crazy Ed
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Crazy Ed »

I tried but I ended up with 8 Natal players and Naas Botha so I didn't post it for fear of ridicule. By the way Dick Muir was the greatest center ever.
Crazy Ed
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Crazy Ed »

naki wrote:Much like Desert Island discs used to allow the Bible and the complete works of William Shakespeare as default options, it should go without saying that McCaw is an automatic inclusion and that anyone that actively excludes him is as blasphemous as those who would reject the Bible and as artless as those who would reject Bill :nod:
Or isn't from NZ and has and understanding of the offside laws.
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by naki »

Crazy Ed wrote:
naki wrote:Much like Desert Island discs used to allow the Bible and the complete works of William Shakespeare as default options, it should go without saying that McCaw is an automatic inclusion and that anyone that actively excludes him is as blasphemous as those who would reject the Bible and as artless as those who would reject Bill :nod:
Or isn't from NZ and has and understanding of the offside laws.
You’re offside when the refs say you’re offside. Given a large percentage of his games were officiated by your beloved South African refs I would hope you’re not questioning their understanding also
Crazy Ed
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Crazy Ed »

I like that the "Aussie cricket defence". It's the umpires job to give me out and it's the refs job to stop me cheating. If I get away with it it's their fault not mine. You could carry the same argument into Hansie's gambling exploits and Hitler's invasion of Russia but morally there must be a line somewhere.
Richie was a magnificent player and captain and he should be in 30% of peoples world 15's but many Europeans Australians and Africans think their guys were good as well despite being in less capable teams.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Enzedder »

Crazy Ed wrote:
naki wrote:Much like Desert Island discs used to allow the Bible and the complete works of William Shakespeare as default options, it should go without saying that McCaw is an automatic inclusion and that anyone that actively excludes him is as blasphemous as those who would reject the Bible and as artless as those who would reject Bill :nod:
Or isn't from NZ and has and understanding of the offside laws.

He was too quick for spectators to see him move to the breakdown so fast on TV - let alone the poor refs
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by naki »

Crazy Ed wrote:I like that the "Aussie cricket defence". It's the umpires job to give me out and it's the refs job to stop me cheating. If I get away with it it's their fault not mine. You could carry the same argument into Hansie's gambling exploits and Hitler's invasion of Russia but morally there must be a line somewhere.
Richie was a magnificent player and captain and he should be in 30% of peoples world 15's but many Europeans Australians and Africans think their guys were good as well despite being in less capable teams.
Godwin on the first page of the thread. Cool.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by sorCrer »

Crazy Ed wrote:I tried but I ended up with 8 Natal players and Naas Botha so I didn't post it for fear of ridicule. By the way Dick Muir was the greatest center ever.
Dick Muir? :lol:
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by sorCrer »

I'd actually have Fourie Du Preez before Joost. A far more intelligent rugby player.
Crazy Ed
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Crazy Ed »

To be fair I started with the 1994 Natal side and added a few others on merit. I even considered Craig Jameson until i remembered all he could do was milk a penalty.
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 7009
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by BlackMac »

The swarm will shit the bed when they wake up and see this.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by sorCrer »

BlackMac wrote:The swarm will shit the bed when they wake up and see this.
They'll be bleating for that over rated baldy Wood to be included.
User avatar
ManInTheBar
Posts: 5918
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm
Location: Suffolk ba

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by ManInTheBar »

sorCrer wrote:
BlackMac wrote:The swarm will shit the bed when they wake up and see this.
They'll be bleating for that over rated baldy Gibson to be included.
FTFY

I would anyway
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5662
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Keith »

1. Du Randt
2. Wood
3. Leonard
4. Johnson
5. Eales
6. Kaino
7. McCheat
8. Parisse
9. Gregan
10. Wilkinson
11. Lomu
12. Horan
13. Sella
14. Robinson
15. Blanco
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by AND-y »

Byrne, M. Jones, Parker, Henson, S. Williams, Hook, Phillips, A. Jones, Bennett, D. Jones, A. Jones, Gough, J. Thomas, M. Williams, R. Jones.
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by AND-y »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
AND-y wrote:Byrne, M. Jones, Parker, Henson, S. Williams, Hook, Phillips, A. Jones, Bennett, D. Jones, A. Jones, Gough, J. Thomas, M. Williams, R. Jones.
Please don't troll Andy. This is a serious thread and these are serious times.
I'm just furious that no-one has put Edwards at 9!
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by sorCrer »

AND-y wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
AND-y wrote:Byrne, M. Jones, Parker, Henson, S. Williams, Hook, Phillips, A. Jones, Bennett, D. Jones, A. Jones, Gough, J. Thomas, M. Williams, R. Jones.
Please don't troll Andy. This is a serious thread and these are serious times.
I'm just furious that no-one has put Edwards at 9!
Good player but like Wood overrated.
Biffer29
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Biffer29 »

Although there’s not going to be any Scots in anybody’s XV, it’s worth pointing out that we won the first ever rugby international, and the last ever rugby international.
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 20008
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by CrazyIslander »

Biffer29 wrote:Although there’s not going to be any Scots in anybody’s XV, it’s worth pointing out that we won the first ever rugby international, and the last ever rugby international.
Now that's a sign of the end. Hope I'm wrong.
Same with cricket. Aust beat NZ last week. The final international.
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16197
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by AND-y »

sorCrer wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
AND-y wrote:Byrne, M. Jones, Parker, Henson, S. Williams, Hook, Phillips, A. Jones, Bennett, D. Jones, A. Jones, Gough, J. Thomas, M. Williams, R. Jones.
Please don't troll Andy. This is a serious thread and these are serious times.
I'm just furious that no-one has put Edwards at 9!
Good player but like Wood overrated.
Possibly, though that's probably true of anyone considered a legend.

Also there's the fact that unlike say soccer players over the generations essentially played different sports makes these lists very difficult.
User avatar
J Man
Posts: 5769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by J Man »

Seneca of the Night wrote: 2nd XV

2. Bismark du Plessis
Bismark didn't maintain his form long enough for me to pick him in these sorts of sides, but in 2009 he was utterly terrifying. A genuinely physically intimidating person.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6285
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Dark »

FFS

Forgive the music

The dude had to have Lomus back every five minutes as Lomu had the turning circle of an oil tanker


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0945lQKP7I
Rugby2023
Posts: 12172
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Rugby2023 »

1. Roncero (Arg)
2. Wood (Ire)
3. Hayman (NZ)
4. Johnson (Eng)
5. Matfield (SA)
6. Elsom (Aus)
7. Pocock (Aus)
8. Parisse (Ita)
9. Du Preez (SA)
10. Wilkinson (Eng)
11. Lomu (NZ)
12. Horan (Aus)
13. O'Driscoll (Ire)
14. Caucaunibuca (Fij)
15. Latham (Aus)

'99 onwards
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41477
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Kiwias »

Restricted to players I have seen play

1. Os du Randt
2. Fitzy
3. Ken Gray
4. Pinetree
5. Eales
6. Kel Tremain
7. Michael Jones/McCaw
8. Spanghero
9. Chris Laidlaw
10. Dan Carter
11. Jonah
12. Mike Gibson
13. Bruce Robertson
14. BeeGee Williams
15. Cullen


NAturally I reserve the right to change my mind on at least half a dozen players in the next fifteen minutes, and admit to being unable to decide between Jones and McCaw at 7.
Crazy Ed
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Crazy Ed »

Kiwias wrote:Restricted to players I have seen play

1. Os du Randt
2. Fitzy
3. Ken Gray
4. Pinetree
5. Eales
6. Kel Tremain
7. Michael Jones/McCaw
8. Spanghero
9. Chris Laidlaw
10. Dan Carter
11. Jonah
12. Mike Gibson
13. Bruce Robertson
14. BeeGee Williams
15. Cullen


NAturally I reserve the right to change my mind on at least half a dozen players in the next fifteen minutes, and admit to being unable to decide between Jones and McCaw at 7.
McAwe can play Sunday games
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7153
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Conspicuous »

Os Du Randt
Sean Fitzpatrick
Nicolas Mas
John Eales
Brodie Retallick
Michael Jones
Richie McCaw
Zinzan Brooke
Joost van der Westhuizen
Dan Carter
Jonah Lomu
Tim Horan
Brian O’ Driscoll
David Campese
Christian Cullen
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 17099
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Now that rugby is all over: your Greatest of All Actual

Post by Zakar »

1. Ox
2. Fitzy
3. Toppo
4. Eales
5. Johnson
6. PSDT
7. McCheat
8. Kefu
9. Gregan
10. Carter
11. Lomu
12. Horan
13. BOD
14. Caucau
15. Burke

Front row picked largely on reputation.
Last edited by Zakar on Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply