Snowdonia virus

All things Rugby
Gwenno

Snowdonia virus

Post by Gwenno »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-51993900
The cities are safe, it's the wilderness where you'll catch it. This mainly concerns Snowdonia, but I bet it's been repeated all over the UK
Jim Lahey

Re: Snowdonia virus

Post by Jim Lahey »

Did the Snowman triathlon there last year, a lovely part of the world.
The cycle was epic. The death march up that hill was horrific though.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

Gwenno wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-51993900
The cities are safe, it's the wilderness where you'll catch it. This mainly concerns Snowdonia, but I bet it's been repeated all over the UK
It seems this is a common problem with resorts and holiday destinations across the Country. People are treating the disease like its a Bank Holiday and heading to the beaches and resorts.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Wicklow mountain walks are seemingly very busy too. Only a short drive from Dublin, so easily accessible.
There's a forest walk up the road from my parents, and my mum said that yesterday the carpark was full with cars parked stupidly along the road.

Sure, you can probably keep your distance easily enough once you've left the carpark, but there must be a lot of spreading going on with people so close together.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Lobby wrote:
Gwenno wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-51993900
It seems this is a common problem with resorts and holiday destinations across the Country. People are treating the disease like its a Bank Holiday and heading to the beaches and resorts.
I think if grandma has a van, the kids are being sent there. Hopefully they'll stay in the van.

Doesn't stop them f**king up the locals, though.
Last edited by message #2527204 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Burn the Saes out
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

AND-y wrote:Burn the Saes out
The gog liberation army had it right all the time
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Frodder wrote:
Phil Bennett knew the score.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

AND-y wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Phil Bennett knew the score.
Yes Covid 19
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Jeez who’d rather get pneumonia in a caravan in the mountains than in your own bed at home? :?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Breaking point.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Plato'sCave wrote:Image

Breaking point.
Are there gates/stiles etc you have to touch to get into the park? Public toilets? :?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Breaking point.
Pay and display will struggle with this
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

I last climbed Cadair Idris in the summer. The only Welsh spoken that we heard apart from our own was one couple. Most of the accents, as you would expect, were Scouse, Brum, Standard. I suspect by and large it is the same situation now. The official infection rate in Wales is low, probably about 2 weeks behind London, but stuff like this is really going to spice up the mix.
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

30 campervans tried to park up at the Nevis Range ski centre at Fort William last night, they got turned away.

There’s plenty campervans going across to the Hebrides on the remaining calmac sailings at the moment. You’ve more fingers on your hand than there is ventilators on the islands.

The island of Barra is going to be treating patients on camp beds in the village hall until evacuation can be sorted to the mainland.

I just don’t get it. Where’s the common sense heading all the way to the far reaches of the supply chain, with minimal medical provision, and where there is an ageing population. It’s a time bomb waiting to happen for th relocalise population.
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

I suspect Boris's press conference tomorrow will include more stringent measures off the back of this.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Brilliant, isn’t it? We’re already going to struggle with ITU capacity, and now you have thousands of selfish wankers doing their utmost to spread the virus as widely as they can.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Gwenno wrote:I last climbed Cadair Idris in the summer. The only Welsh spoken that we heard apart from our own was one couple. Most of the accents, as you would expect, were Scouse, Brum, Standard. I suspect by and large it is the same situation now. The official infection rate in Wales is low, probably about 2 weeks behind London, but stuff like this is really going to spice up the mix.
Always the way in the summer months and bank holidays. The population here doubles or trebles. Likely to be worse now, given that people seem to think taking a holiday within the UK counts as social distancing.
Salix

Post by Salix »

I'm 10 minutes from betws but luckily just outside the national park.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Doc Rob wrote:Brilliant, isn’t it? We’re already going to struggle with ITU capacity, and now you have thousands of selfish wankers doing their utmost to spread the virus as widely as they can.
They're scared as well, which can't be discounted. If there was less ambiguity in the guidelines from the government and more rigid instructions, a lot of this fleeing to rural areas and having days out in national parks would be reduced.
Salix

Post by Salix »

I'm 10 minutes from betws but luckily just outside the national park.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

He's 10 minutes from betws but luckily just outside the national park.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Nolanator wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:Brilliant, isn’t it? We’re already going to struggle with ITU capacity, and now you have thousands of selfish wankers doing their utmost to spread the virus as widely as they can.
They're scared as well, which can't be discounted. If there was less ambiguity in the guidelines from the government and more rigid instructions, a lot of this fleeing to rural areas and having days out in national parks would be reduced.
Much as this is likely to be true, you’d think the massive queues of cars parked on the Pen-y-Pass road might have suggested going somewhere other than Snowdon might be a good plan.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Derwyn wrote:He's 10 minutes from betws but luckily just outside the national park.
When did it go all Gilbert & Sullivan in here?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Doc Rob wrote:
Gwenno wrote:I last climbed Cadair Idris in the summer. The only Welsh spoken that we heard apart from our own was one couple. Most of the accents, as you would expect, were Scouse, Brum, Standard. I suspect by and large it is the same situation now. The official infection rate in Wales is low, probably about 2 weeks behind London, but stuff like this is really going to spice up the mix.
Always the way in the summer months and bank holidays. The population here doubles or trebles. Likely to be worse now, given that people seem to think taking a holiday within the UK counts as social distancing.
Hopefully the local broadband is so stretched that those London cnuts can’t get onto their work VPNs and get sacked.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Derwyn wrote:He's 10 minutes from betws but luckily just outside the national park.
I'm not near betws
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Doc Rob wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Much as this is likely to be true, you’d think the massive queues of cars parked on the Pen-y-Pass road might have suggested going somewhere other than Snowdon might be a good plan.
True. People are also quite thick and selfish, like you say. Bad combo.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

I don't think the local infrastructure will cope with these numbers of pandemic migrants
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Doc Rob wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I didnt realise you could park on that road, the number of times we've had to climb other mountains because there's no parking. Hordes of people puffing and blowing up the miners track, might not be such a good idea.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Nolanator wrote:
+1

Too much room allowing for excuses for people to still act as normal, or holiday normal, which in these cases is even worse.
There is a reason all the tourist attractions have had to close, but people just don't want it to apply to them.

The National Trust offer of free access to gardens and estates backfired as well, as it obviously would, but they're just trying to generate goodwill.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

I would class driving to a mountain car park or beach as an unnecessary journey. It seems fairly unambiguous to me.
Oxbow

Post by Oxbow »

It's happening in Norfolk too, places are rammed. People seem to be treating this as a chance to have a little holiday, the selfish twats.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Gwenno wrote:I would class driving to a mountain car park or beach as an unnecessary journey. It seems fairly unambiguous to me.
Government advice has been its ok to go out into the open and exercise. So you can see why this has happened.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Breaking point.
That's f ucking madness. Where are the police to tell them to bugger off back home
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

ChipSpike wrote:
Gwenno wrote:I would class driving to a mountain car park or beach as an unnecessary journey. It seems fairly unambiguous to me.
Government advice has been its ok to go out into the open and exercise. So you can see why this has happened.
Most people took that advice to include paying attention to 'keeping social distance'. I jogged around Bushy Park yesterday, all the other runners had enough cop on to take a wide berth around each other by leaving the path and keeping several metres distance.

If you rocked up to Snowdon car park and saw the congestion and crowds you would turn the car around, not park your car and get out. They are f*cking retards.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

I am watching ITV and on the adverts is one for Haven Holidays. Book now it says!! Ffs. That has to be stopped. Completely irresponsible of Haven and ITV.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Would I be right in assessing this situation as rich, globalized Londoners descending into rural Britain, and the locals aren't happy?
henry

Post by henry »

Lemoentjie wrote:Would I be right in assessing this situation as rich, globalized Londoners descending into rural Britain, and the locals aren't happy?
No, you wouldn’t.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

I took that to mean going for a walk from your house , not driving 200 miles.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

SaintK wrote:

Breaking point.
That's f ucking madness. Where are the police to tell them to bugger off back home