Which RWCs have an asterisk?

All things Rugby
Peaches

Which RWCs have an asterisk?

Post by Peaches »

What wins do you think were epic flukes or won by refs?

2011 comes to mind with numerous high tackles on the French missed by the ref in the final (Joubert?).
RuggaBugga

Re: Which RWCs have an asterisk?

Post by RuggaBugga »

How have I managed to miss this Jedi master of trolls before?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Honestly?

1987, 2011
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Any that went to extra time in the final.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Peaches wrote:What wins do you think were epic flukes or won by refs?

2011 comes to mind with numerous high tackles on the French missed by the ref in the final (Joubert?).
Good call. :thumbup:
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

plus Bryce Lawrence's handywork in the Bok/Wallaby quarter-final
Last edited by Monk Zombie on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mog The Almighty

Monk Zombie wrote:

plus Bryce Lawrence's handywork in the Bok/Wallaby semi
Lawrence had a cracker. For once a referee that didn't let the Boks get away with their usual cheating.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

Lawrence had a cracker. For once a referee that didn't let the Boks get away with their usual cheating.
Bryce disagrees:
"I went into the quarter-final knowing it was a massive match and I didn't want to overly influence the outcome," said the 41-year-old Lawrence, who will become a high-performance referee reviewer for the New Zealand Rugby Union. "The way that transpired was I didn't make decisions and, if I had my time again, I would just go out there and do what I normally do, which is just referee and back myself."

"I had four really good [group] games at the World Cup and then I had that. I had outside pressure from pretty senior people from rugby countries behind the scenes that really created my mindset of lacking confidence to deliver what I normally do. There was some pretty nasty political stuff going on about that appointment with some people kicking up a massive stink. It probably made me freeze on the biggest stage."
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Campo deliberately knocked on when Underwood would have scored. Should have been 5 pts and Campo off
duke

Post by duke »

ManInTheBar wrote:1991

Campo deliberately knocked on when Underwood would have scored. Should have been 5 pts and Campo off
Whisper it quietly but a try was only worth 4 points at the time...
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

All of them and that also makes them all legitimate in a way.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Monk Zombie wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

Bryce disagrees:
"I went into the quarter-final knowing it was a massive match and I didn't want to overly influence the outcome," said the 41-year-old Lawrence, who will become a high-performance referee reviewer for the New Zealand Rugby Union. "The way that transpired was I didn't make decisions and, if I had my time again, I would just go out there and do what I normally do, which is just referee and back myself."

"I had four really good [group] games at the World Cup and then I had that. I had outside pressure from pretty senior people from rugby countries behind the scenes that really created my mindset of lacking confidence to deliver what I normally do. There was some pretty nasty political stuff going on about that appointment with some people kicking up a massive stink. It probably made me freeze on the biggest stage."
Well, good on him to admit that he was at fault.
Mog The Almighty

Monk Zombie wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

Bryce disagrees:

I think you'll find that is fake news.

Bryce had an absolute cracker and was roundly applauded for his performance. In fact, I believe Ruck & Maul magazine rated it as 3rd best refereeing performance of the modern era, printing at the time, "Lawrence delivered a faultless disciplinarian spanking of which this South African team was in dire need. We would have rated this performance higher if it were not for some harsh calls against the Wallabies".
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

1987 - No asterisk - All the sides capable of representing their Nation were present

1991 - No asterisk - although the Campese incident was controversial. The best team of the tournament won and all the sides capable of representing their Nation were present

1995 - asterisk - BUT - the very fact that it seemingly healed a countries old wounds shouldn't be overlooked. The AB's were definitely ill (natural occurrence or otherwise) but the biggest issue was the Semi Final debacle between SA and France. I think that has more bearing on the asterisk than the final

1999 - No asterisk - apart from one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history (at the time) occurring in the semis - Aussie were worthy winners - although the final was one of the worst regarding a contest

2003 - No asterisk - apart from the fact that Clive Woodward is a plum. Great final as well.

2007 - No asterisk - the 'was it wasn't try' is a non starter regarding the asterisk. SA were OK in the tournament - England got there by some dark magic. Runner up to being the worst final so far.

2011 - Asterisk - I'll just say that NZ were lucky in the final. But I don't think they were carried over the line. In much the same way that the 2007 quarter final had one team seemingly unable to be penalised so NZ got some calls here. The effort of NZ to get to the final and win it though - with a 4th choice 1st five and walking wounded all over the pitch is almost enough to have the asterisk scrubbed.

2015 - No asterisk - best side won. Hands down. The most dominant display in a World Cup final and entire tournament - best tournament to date as well. If Aussie had won there might be an asterisk to add due to Mr Joubert's interesting decision in the quarters

2019 - Maybe an asterisk? Hagibis ruined some countries' tournament - although those sides come across a bit childish and probably weren't going to challenge for the big dog positions anyway. But did the delays and breaks put some sides off their flow? Good Irish and Aussie sides failed to turn up to their quarter final. The AB's seemingly had waaay to much time to think about what the opposition were doing prior to their semi. Or is that just part of being in a tournament and teams coming to grips with things are successful.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

1987 should clearly have an asterisk.

A basically professional NZ outfit, slipping their players cash on the side, up against genuinely amateur teams from everywhere else.

Makes the Saracens scandal look micky mouse in comparison.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

MrDominator wrote:1987 should clearly have an asterisk.

A basically professional NZ outfit, slipping their players cash on the side, up against genuinely amateur teams from everywhere else.

Yeah nah.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

2011 SF with Warbs being red carded. French should never have been there. We would have creamed them with 15 men. Fcuk that asterisk.
rugga.

Post by rugga. »

1987 No asterisk
1991 *
1995 *
1999 *
2003 *
2007 *
2011 No asterick
2015 No asterick
2019 *
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

2011 is a bolded, red fonted asterisk.
The fact that Joubert was allowed to ref after that was crazy, the Scots paid the price for it at the next RWC.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

So it has been settled. 2011 is now officially tainted forever
handyman

Post by handyman »

No asterisk, but I'm only counting the RWC's from 1995.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Everyone in which Gaul played.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

And the only other professional* team not allowed to play.

*By professional I mean a bunch of South African Breweries “sales reps”
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

BokJock wrote:

and "varsity students"

edit to fair - having looked again at the probable Bok side for 87 their weren't really any reps or "students" in the side
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

BokJock wrote:

Why weren’t Sefrica at that World Cup?
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

BokJock wrote:

Exactly.

'87 should probably have two asterisks, to be honest.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

MrDominator wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Exactly.

what are you talking about? produce some facts please
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

duke wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:1991

Whisper it quietly but a try was only worth 4 points at the time...
Remind me, if you will, how much a conversion was. Then factor in a bit more dashiong wing play from Underwood

Look I know i know. But then this IS the thread for counterfactuals
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

Monk Zombie wrote:
MrDominator wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Exactly.

what are you talking about? produce some facts please
No South Africa and home World Cup is big asterisks tbh.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Social distancing.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

By asterisk, are you referring to super strong players souped up on drugs?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I think we must view world cups in terms of great referees who bring their long years of experience and unquestionable intellect to the making of a great occasion where we can all agree the right team won.

Craig Joubert is such a referee. A colossus of rugby and a credit to refereeing in all sports, let alone rugby. Oom Craig, thanks for your service to the game.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Yep Craig Joubert was both a great referee and a great servant of the game, which was the better for his involvement. For shame sullying his reputation.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

LandOTurk wrote:

2011 SF with Warbs being red carded. French should never have been there. We would have creamed them with 15 men. Fcuk that asterisk.
Nah, that was the right decision. Warbs fucked up and was rightly sent off. The Welsh would have been annihilated in the final against NZ.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Thomas wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Nah, that was the right decision. Warbs fucked up and was rightly sent off. The Welsh would have been annihilated in the final against NZ.
Would it have been as bad as the wobs in the semi?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Thomas wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Would it have been as bad as the wobs in the semi?
Oh, way worse.

The ABs played their final in the semis. They knew they were going to play either Wales (lol) or France (??). Going on how they played against France (who did a France) I reckon they got stuck into a heap of beers and some snecky toilet actions after the Wallaby match.

Wales had a good team but the last time they beat the All Blacks was at home back when Enzedder had hair. They would have been destroyed by 30+.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Lemoentjie wrote:Honestly?

1987, 2011
The All Blacks dominance is so deep in your minds you always forget 1991, the other tourney you dicks were banned from.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I say let there be no asterisks. Everything including gold watches is allowed.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Clogs wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
BokJock wrote:

Social distancing.
Well played. I’ll give you that one.
rett

Post by rett »

Monk Zombie wrote:

plus Bryce Lawrence's handywork in the Bok/Wallaby quarter-final

Frankly I’m very surprised that the Saffers keep bringing this up. A team that prides themselves on their physicality (ahem) failed to overpower one little honest Aussie toiler.
Embarrassing.