I am kinda loving the lockdown

All things Rugby
Openside

Re: I am kinda loving the lockdown

Post by Openside »

HKCJ wrote:Hating it. For the first time in 4 years I’m actually working. Figured they would tell me not to start for a few months.. no such luck. What’s more they have stuck me in a boring job because I can’t do the training in London I need to do for the role I got taken on for. Meanwhile every fucker I know is working from home living the life of Riley
:lol: :lol: That’s harsh!!
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
eugenefraxby wrote:Come on OS the loss of golf is shattering 🥴
Couple of clubs in the greater Dublin are still open. Friend asked me to play the European Club today but I declined..... doesn't feel right.
I thought the GUI ordered them all to close
:shock:

I did not realise Ireland had fallen to the machine overlords
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Openside wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:
I'm guessing you are retired and/or well-off... :?
Yeah. OS lives a life of extreme privilege. He essentially lives in a different world to a lot of people.
That is a bit of an exaggeration
Start a thread like this and expect a bit of a kicking.

He's not that wrong.

Read your OP again and think about what percentage of the population can relate to that.

Oh, and I come from a privileged background, don't get me wrong, but your post was gauche at best
Womack

Post by Womack »

It's alright, have been crap on the homeschooling and daughter is starting to turn slightly feral already - Mrs W and I both quite busy with work and it is difficult to manage her time as well as ours. But lots of nice things coming from it, always eating together, playing together in the garden (nice weather has helped of course), making the effort to have video calls etc with friends and family, much more than we normally would. The sort of stuff that makes you think 'we'll keep doing this even when this is all over' and will of course be forgotten about within days once everything goes back to normal.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

I am hating it. Work becomes everything. At least I still have a job I guess.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

jdogscoop wrote:I must say, it is a good time to be on a salary for a government agency (*self funding) while your friends who were convinced you were a sap+ went to work for themselves.

Could be worse. :smug:

* Puts feet up. Enjoys a long pull on a beer *

+ Jokes. My friends aren't cvnts.
Disagree with your last line.
Openside

Post by Openside »

happyhooker wrote:
Openside wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:
Yeah. OS lives a life of extreme privilege. He essentially lives in a different world to a lot of people.

He's not that wrong.

Read your OP again and think about what percentage of the population can relate to that.

Oh, and I come from a privileged background, don't get me wrong, but your post was gauche at best
Oh I realised that :lol: I knew what I was writing I am well capable of taking the piss out of myself.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Womack wrote:It's alright, have been crap on the homeschooling and daughter is starting to turn slightly feral already - Mrs W and I both quite busy with work and it is difficult to manage her time as well as ours. But lots of nice things coming from it, always eating together, playing together in the garden (nice weather has helped of course), making the effort to have video calls etc with friends and family, much more than we normally would. The sort of stuff that makes you think 'we'll keep doing this even when this is all over' and will of course be forgotten about within days once everything goes back to normal.
D SD o true and rather sad - we had a pitch and putt tournament in the garden this afternoon. The 575 yd 11th was a beast!! 8)
Bert

Post by Bert »

It is a nightmare for some.
Give a thought to the back office accounting staff. The admin involved to ensure that the rest of the company can sit at home Doing nothing and still earn 80%.
Who do you think is on the phone desperately chasing non-payers
Who is working long hours ensuring the employees get paid
Who do you think will be ignored when management incentivise the company to get back on track
I am working harder now than I ever have, and there may not be a job at the end of it.
Good night
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Loving it tbh. I'm still working a normal day more or less, just from home and that enables me to do my natural sleeping pattern of 02:00 - 09:00 without issue. The extra couple of hours you get back by not having to commute are brilliant. More than that, though, not having to see or speak to anyone aside from the odd Skype meeting. I am an introvert by nature, so social isolation is brilliant. I did call a friend the other day as she's recently been on the end of a bad break up and I know she's completely on her own, she said I sounded livelier than she's ever heard me and that's largely because my energy isn't being drained from forced interaction with people on a daily basis. Will ask my boss if/when this all blows over to work from home permanently. If anything it's improving my work.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

I agree, really enjoying it.

General day starts with a nice sausage sandwich, review trading, start work, coffee at 10, circuits with girlfriend at lunch, afternoon of work, review trading and fire up some netflix and crack into the wine.

Also have time to cook some all day classics like bourgingnon and massaman.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I don't mind being a virtual librarian, but I am starting to miss working with people face to face. I couldn't do this as a career, as some do.

One interesting thing is how many of my co-workers, who usually present a stuffy, 'professional' appearance at work are opening up and showing their truer selves with our Teams chats and message board.
naki

Post by naki »

The missus is still working so I’m on home schooling duty which seems to be more fun for me than it is for the kids. Her indoors’ (literally) role will probably not survive in the aftermath of this and she’ll likely join me in semi-retirement, however our plan to just travel for the rest of our days will have to be reconsidered until covid is offcially codead.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

6.Jones wrote:Where I live is like a ghost town. I'm on a narrow spit of land, with one road from the mainland. At the end of my road is a yacht club. Now that's shut and it's like tumbleweeds. The sun is shining like it always did. My local beach is mostly empty now. Like the zombie apocalypse.

And then I go shopping. Mandurah is divided between the gentrified seaside and crack city over the train lines. The main shopping complex serves both populations. There I see actual zombies. Every second person has a forked beard, and that's just the women. I have to go there because there's no food in my local supermarket. Strange times. Yesterday I started to cough in an Uber. I willed myself to stop, to not frighten the driver. Of course that only made me want to cough more. I was holding it in, turning bright red. The driver asked if I was okay. I said let me out here. It was the fastest I've seen an Uber respond. Time to dust off the pushbike.

It's times like these when there's something to be said for living on the edge of the world.
Never heard of Mandurah. Just had a wonder down Pinjara road on Google and it looks like there are more cars for sale than there are people in Australia.
J Man

Post by J Man »

I'm hating it. Flatmates won't leave the bloody house :x
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

It's horrible. Lack of social interaction, bored kids, online classes which are tedious as hell.

But, healthy and safe.

It's nothing compared to what some people are going through.

Good luck to everyone.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

There's a lock down? Been at work all week, you wouldn't know it where I am
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Anonymous. wrote:
It's times like these when there's something to be said for living on the edge of the world.
Never heard of Mandurah. Just had a wonder down Pinjara road on Google and it looks like there are more cars for sale than there are people in Australia.[/quote]

Try Parramatta Road.

I fell asleep on a nightbus once. Woke up 40 minutes later and there were still car yards as far as the eye could see
Leffe

Post by Leffe »

jdogscoop wrote:
Leffe wrote:
sewa wrote:
Leffe wrote: Different owner now. The previous guy is gone, the new guy is more dickish and the old one was shot by the 5-0, 4 times!
The last guy was a lunatic. Only the good die young
He was great when he started the cafe and wouldn't have closed his terrace.

He had crazy eyes at the end thou, was a shame.
What kind of G&T pour? generous or tight?
Toight like a toiger!
AD345

Post by AD345 »

I feel like I am living in a long, narrow, box.

I wake up in the morning at one end of the box, have breakfast and then drive (mostly) deserted roads to the other end of the box. There I spend 9 or 10 hours doing what I do.

Back into the car, along the quiet roads and return to the first end of the box.

Rinse, lather and repeat.
slick

Post by slick »

happyhooker wrote:
Openside wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

He's not that wrong.

Come along old chap, that post was OS at his finest.

And to be serious for a moment, the chap has worked for it.
slick

Post by slick »

HKCJ wrote:Hating it. For the first time in 4 years I’m actually working. Figured they would tell me not to start for a few months.. no such luck. What’s more they have stuck me in a boring job because I can’t do the training in London I need to do for the role I got taken on for. Meanwhile every fucker I know is working from home living the life of Riley
Oh mate, that's harsh.

Always just round the corner to laugh at you. I'm sure the sound will carry.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

slick wrote:
Oh mate, that's harsh.

Always just round the corner to laugh at you. I'm sure the sound will carry.
:lol: :lol:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Openside reminds me of Renholm from TV’s ‘the IT crowd’

“When I started , all I had was 2 things - a dream , and six million pounds”
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

slick wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Openside wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
clementinfrance wrote: I'm guessing you are retired and/or well-off... :?

He's not that wrong.

I'm a bit low on tolerance for privileged people gloating right now.

And that 'worked for it argument' is bollocks. As we're seeing exemplified atmo, working hard does not necessarily equate to high pay and can actually put you very much in the line of fire.

The OP was crass
slick

Post by slick »

Just trying to bring us al together for the NHS :(
backrow

Post by backrow »

The thing I’m finding hardest, is my young kids crying that they can’t play with their friends, you try and explain and then they ask ‘are you going to die then daddy like grandpa ?’ And then they cry some more. Very hard to keep their spirits up when your own are not exactly high.

Also, after mad rush, I now have almost no work to do (my work has long lead times) so I’m watching training videos for Kinaxis, a system that will now be delayed at my firm until further notice.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

slick wrote:Just trying to bring us al together for the NHS :(
And an OP basically saying "I'm alright jack" is doing that? Piss off.

Anyway, let's not go ott about this. I'll leave it now.
Openside

Post by Openside »

happyhooker wrote:
slick wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
clementinfrance wrote: I'm guessing you are retired and/or well-off... :?

He's not that wrong.

I'm a bit low on tolerance for privileged people gloating right now.

And that 'worked for it argument' is bollocks. As we're seeing exemplified atmo, working hard does not necessarily equate to high pay and can actually put you very much in the line of fire.

The OP was crass
FFS Lighten up it was just a bit of fun don't be such a sensitive susan
frillage

Post by frillage »

Openside wrote:With the exception of cancellation of golf and real tennis this lockdown is pretty cool. Our country Lane is quiet we as a family do a 30 minute exercise class then walk the dogs onto the ranges not a soul to be seen. We have discovered an online bridge game so you can play all your mates remotely - today at 13:30 we have 3 tables arranged. In the evening we play cards with the kids and watch a box set en famille. Is anyone else thinking it’s pretty cool?
What platform you laying bridge on and is it any good?
Started playing on Funbridge, but it’s not cheap after first 50 free hands.
C69

Post by C69 »

Openside wrote:With the exception of cancellation of golf and real tennis this lockdown is pretty cool. Our country Lane is quiet we as a family do a 30 minute exercise class then walk the dogs onto the ranges not a soul to be seen. We have discovered an online bridge game so you can play all your mates remotely - today at 13:30 we have 3 tables arranged. In the evening we play cards with the kids and watch a box set en famille. Is anyone else thinking it’s pretty cool?
No you fecking twat
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

I am doing 20 minutes of pilates every morning and then going for a short run (more like trot) and am working from home doing the company admin, accounts and project management for about 7-8 hours a day.

My wife, a nursery nurse and Joe Wicks fanatic, has just seen her nursery close with staff retained but on 80% salary. She, very sensibly, has upped her Hello Fresh order (there are other suppliers) and is enjoying cooking the evening meal every day for a change.

My home is 200m from my eldest son, partner & 2 grandchildren (2.5 years & 2 months) and a 30min walk across fields from my youngest son, partner & remaining grandchild (6 months).

It actually hurts that the regular contact my wife and I had up to Monday is reduced to screen share sessions.

My software business will likely continue though as a participator I can forget any income for the next couple of years and I'm planning on keeping all our employees, at least through the end of 2020.

My eldest's event business is closed for the forseeable, fortunately my youngest's Digital Marketing employer is currently lending 7 figures to the banks so he will likely survive the fall out, wish that were so for his brother...

I am 67, with multiple pre-existing conditions though not included in the 'most at risk' group. My wife is, thankfully, much more healthy so with isolation, we may well see through the next 12 months until Covid-19 becomes a non-issue.

The worst prospect for me is an extended period of isolation, can't imagine my grandkids running & jumping into my arms with big smiles if they haven'y seen me for year or two!
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Well the last few days haven’t been fun, some breathing difficulties, pain on 80% of peak breath intake, neck ache, shoulder arms and back ache, chills, headaches.

No sneezes, no persistent cough, normal temperature taken daily.

The rest of the family, the son without asthma, felt shit for a day, now he’s fine, the son with asthma has been having a few issues but has perked up.

My boss in work and his missus have had similar, as has at least 1 other on the team.

We have been isolating (strictly) for about 12 days so far, not even dog walks.

The feeling I had/still have a bit, is this is like pleurisy, pleural membrane inflamed and causing pain on the breath. I’ve had it before so I’m just paracetamoling my way through.

All in good spirits.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Openside wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

FFS Lighten up it was just a bit of fun don't be such a sensitive susan
:roll:
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Over an hour on hold to claim ESA as all work has gone and I'm on the shielded list.

That's before the 10 attempts to get in the queue at all, each attempt is 5mins recorded messages before you get cut off.

Sun is out though. So that's nice.
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

sockwithaticket wrote:Loving it tbh. I'm still working a normal day more or less, just from home and that enables me to do my natural sleeping pattern of 02:00 - 09:00 without issue. The extra couple of hours you get back by not having to commute are brilliant. More than that, though, not having to see or speak to anyone aside from the odd Skype meeting. I am an introvert by nature, so social isolation is brilliant. I did call a friend the other day as she's recently been on the end of a bad break up and I know she's completely on her own, she said I sounded livelier than she's ever heard me and that's largely because my energy isn't being drained from forced interaction with people on a daily basis. Will ask my boss if/when this all blows over to work from home permanently. If anything it's improving my work.
I thought I'd feel like this, but I'm f**king hating it. It's probably down to the fact we are fighting over scraps of work and our bosses are going over the top with pointless morning team video calls and checking what we've done for the day, I'm finding it more exhausting than a normal working week in the office. I also think I miss hating my colleagues, I feel empty without it.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Well, I'm loving it more since my company [like many other businesses] turned its efforts to coronavirus defence. We're now 100% on virus related projects. We can't build ventilators but we can build systems. We just convinced one of our clients to repurpose one of their systems as well. It feels good to be doing something. It's nowhere near the something that first responders are giving, but it's something.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

6.Jones wrote:Well, I'm loving it more since my company [like many other businesses] turned its efforts to coronavirus defence. We're now 100% on virus related projects. We can't build ventilators but we can build systems. We just convinced one of our clients to repurpose one of their systems as well. It feels good to be doing something. It's nowhere near the something that first responders are giving, but it's something.
:thumbup:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

6.Jones wrote:Well, I'm loving it more since my company [like many other businesses] turned its efforts to coronavirus defence. We're now 100% on virus related projects. We can't build ventilators but we can build systems. We just convinced one of our clients to repurpose one of their systems as well. It feels good to be doing something. It's nowhere near the something that first responders are giving, but it's something.
Cheers, reminded me that I can use some of my hardware on Folding@home or BOINC to try help. Spent a few hours getting that all up and running. :thumbup:
Openside

Post by Openside »

frillage wrote:
What platform you laying bridge on and is it any good?
Started playing on Funbridge, but it’s not cheap after first 50 free hands.
If you just want to play on your own use IBridge £10 for limitless hands.

For 4 of us to play we are using Trickster Cards it’s very good and free there is another one called Bridge barn that does duplicate.