The lockdown cooking thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15754
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Sefton »

fatcat wrote:I've made huevos rancheros twice this week. (fried eggs, home-made salsa and home-made refried beans on tortillas)
Hmmm, how is the bog roll situation now though?
User avatar
colonel
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by colonel »

earl the beaver wrote:I'm quite enjoying the whole "what can I cook based on what was in Sainsburys at the weekend" vibe, although I'm also trying to support our local shops in North Leeds and trying to do one big shop at Sainsburys on the weekend and one small one for fresh meat/veg/fish on weds/thurs.

Not had to go particularly out there yet as the cupboards and freezer had quite a bit in them, so far this week I've had:

Sausage and Lentil stew
Turkey meatballs in a bbq tomato sauce with steamed brocolli
Baked haddock fillet with a herb crust on a bean and veg stew
Mediterranean Pork chops with roasted veg
Beef chili with baked sweet potato
Tonight is a chicken and ham pie with carrot and parsnip mash
Tomorrow Thai green curry chicken with stirfried noodles

Aiming to buy some paneer at the weekend if there is any and make a veggie curry with chickpeas I have.

If the shops don't have much in on Saturday I will mainly be eating beans and lentils next week

Hopefully:
Neil Smith
The Fruit Stall
George & Joseph
Tarbetts


And the odd Gyros from The Mad Greek
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12657
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by message #2527204 »

Jensrsa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Jensrsa wrote: Coq au vin could be a good idea too (you can adjust ingredients to what you have)
Spoiler: show
[quote]Ingredients
2 tablespoons good olive oil

4 ounces good bacon or pancetta, diced

1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken, cut in 8ths

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 pound carrots, cut diagonally in 1-inch pieces

1 yellow onion, sliced

1 teaspoon chopped garlic

1/4 cup Cognac or good brandy

1/2 bottle (375 ml) good dry red wine such as Burgundy

1 cup good chicken stock, preferably homemade

10 fresh thyme sprigs

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided

1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 pound frozen small whole onions

1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and thickly sliced


Directions

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Meanwhile, lay the chicken out on paper towels and pat dry. Liberally sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. When the bacon is removed, brown the chicken pieces in batches in a single layer for about 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon and continue to brown until all the chicken is done. Set aside.

Add the carrots, onions, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Cognac and put the bacon, chicken, and any juices that collected on the plate into the pot. Add the wine, chicken stock, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just not pink. Remove from the oven and place on top of the stove.

Mash 1 tablespoon of butter and the flour together and stir into the stew. Add the frozen onions. In a medium saute pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until browned. Add to the stew. Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste. Serve hot.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina ... e4-2011654
:thumbup:
I love trying classic recipes. Boeuf bourguignon done the classic way is one of my favourites

Classic recipes are classic for a reason. They stood the test of time[/quote]
Daube provencale, too. Lots of work for, basically, a stew, but well worth it imo.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by earl the beaver »

colonel wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:I'm quite enjoying the whole "what can I cook based on what was in Sainsburys at the weekend" vibe, although I'm also trying to support our local shops in North Leeds and trying to do one big shop at Sainsburys on the weekend and one small one for fresh meat/veg/fish on weds/thurs.

Not had to go particularly out there yet as the cupboards and freezer had quite a bit in them, so far this week I've had:

Sausage and Lentil stew
Turkey meatballs in a bbq tomato sauce with steamed brocolli
Baked haddock fillet with a herb crust on a bean and veg stew
Mediterranean Pork chops with roasted veg
Beef chili with baked sweet potato
Tonight is a chicken and ham pie with carrot and parsnip mash
Tomorrow Thai green curry chicken with stirfried noodles

Aiming to buy some paneer at the weekend if there is any and make a veggie curry with chickpeas I have.

If the shops don't have much in on Saturday I will mainly be eating beans and lentils next week

Hopefully:
Neil Smith
The Fruit Stall
George & Joseph
Tarbetts


And the odd Gyros from The Mad Greek
That's where I'm talking about yes. Although I find Tarbett's expensive.

Also buying beers at Caspar's Bottle Shop and Furthern North.
User avatar
Keith
Posts: 5662
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: God's own country

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Keith »

earl the beaver wrote:[so cutting down on carbs to a degree, no rice or pasta yet.
That's handy! :lol:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12475
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Anyone know how to do Southern American style fried chicken without a deep frier?
TheEleventhEarlofMar
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by TheEleventhEarlofMar »

frillage wrote:This week I will be mostly cooking with wild garlic, my river bank is full of the stuff.
Pissed on by most wild and domesticated animals including rats. Be careful.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Leinsterman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Anyone know how to do Southern American style fried chicken without a deep frier?
Just use a deep frying pan with oil in it.

THIS recipe is particularly good.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12475
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Leinsterman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:Anyone know how to do Southern American style fried chicken without a deep frier?
Just use a deep frying pan with oil in it.

THIS recipe is particularly good.
:) Thankyou, I will check it out.
User avatar
Jensrsa
Posts: 24827
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Jensrsa »

Tonight's lockdown dinner. Stuffed green and yellow bell peppers with olives

Image
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15754
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Sefton »

I used the last of the calor gas to do a BBQ for the kids.
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

message #2527204 wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:Bought Twp freshly slaughtered hares from a local breeder. New enterprise.

Never cooked it before, will have a look
I hear pangolin goes well with hare.

Do I eat it with chop sticks ?
TB63
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of nowhere, just off the A420. .

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by TB63 »

Sefton wrote:I used the last of the calor gas to do a BBQ for the kids.
Did they cook through?..
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14666
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by fatcat »

Sefton wrote:
fatcat wrote:I've made huevos rancheros twice this week. (fried eggs, home-made salsa and home-made refried beans on tortillas)
Hmmm, how is the bog roll situation now though?
My pal brought me round a 9-pack yesterday morning, so I should be alright until next weekend.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5854
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Luckily for me, I recently purchased a whole lamb from a mate's father who was culling his herd. I have a whole freezer full.

Did a Roast leg of lamb with the trimmings on Sunday.
Frittata with leftover potatoes and chorizo and bacon - did for lunch as well
Shepherds pie made from the leftover lamb
Thai yellow curry with chicken last night

TBH, I've always got a full freezer and cupboard but it was a challenge sending out the Lady of the House to get certain ingredients.

She can't shop for food :lol:
PRPX
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by PRPX »

bimboman wrote:Venison ragu tonight. Made it yesterday afternoon.
Shot a moose in November, making meatballs this weekend.
2 parts minced moose, 1 part minced pork.
Fennel seed , panko, milk, parmesan, oregano, chili, yadda yadda.
Expecting brilliant results.
User avatar
Sards
Posts: 30072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Innie Kaap

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Sards »

That curry I made yesterday was bloody brilliant. And I made my own rotis....its so easy...never knew
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12657
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by message #2527204 »

So I got belly pork strips, but could only get lamb's liver. Anyone ever made faggots with lambs liver?
Otherwise I could only get unsmoked streaky, as the market is shut....no good for liver and bacon :frown:
bimboman
Posts: 67400
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by bimboman »

PRPX wrote:
bimboman wrote:Venison ragu tonight. Made it yesterday afternoon.
Shot a moose in November, making meatballs this weekend.
2 parts minced moose, 1 part minced pork.
Fennel seed , panko, milk, parmesan, oregano, chili, yadda yadda.
Expecting brilliant results.

So am I. Let us know how this goes.

I’ve some more venison mince and think fennel is a genius idea.


Tonight’s was a marinated spatchcock , served with mash, creamed leeks , sprouting broccoli and the best gravy I’ve made for a while.

Had a home made jelly after that.
Punter15
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Punter15 »

Just made my first goat curry. Off the chain good!
User avatar
Edinburgh01
Posts: 5540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Edinburgh01 »

One of my sons has spent his time profitably by perfecting pizza from scratch, including making his own tomato sauce.

After a few initial missteps, it is up there with the best I have ever had.

The internet is now being scoured for kits / plans to build a pizza oven, which is something we have been talking about for a long time.

Edit
And for those surprised we have never had brisket until my wife bought one as it was the last joint in the shop, it was OK. Slow cooked in the Aga bottom oven with onions and herbs, it was pleasant, but I'd not seek it out again.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Leinsterman »

Homemade pizzas are amazing once you get the base to your liking. I make them every few Saturdays and they really are dead easy once you get the hang of them.
I used to have a pizza stone but it was awkward heating it up and them transferring the base to it when it was piping hot and then putting the toppings on as quickly as possible.
I partly cook the base with the sauce on it for 2mins at 220, them take it out and add the cheese and toppings before giving it another 10mins. Works a treat.

Brisket: I never get the American obsession with it.
User avatar
happyhooker
Posts: 23124
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by happyhooker »

Edinburgh01 wrote:One of my sons has spent his time profitably by perfecting pizza from scratch, including making his own tomato sauce.

After a few initial missteps, it is up there with the best I have ever had.

The internet is now being scoured for kits / plans to build a pizza oven, which is something we have been talking about for a long time.

Edit
And for those surprised we have never had brisket until my wife bought one as it was the last joint in the shop, it was OK. Slow cooked in the Aga bottom oven with onions and herbs, it was pleasant, but I'd not seek it out again.
I've built one using an old pilates ball as the initial mold. Worked surprisingly well, but make the walls thicker than you think. We ended up double lining them. Decent project, should be something on youtube.
User avatar
Edinburgh01
Posts: 5540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Edinburgh01 »

happyhooker wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:One of my sons has spent his time profitably by perfecting pizza from scratch, including making his own tomato sauce.

After a few initial missteps, it is up there with the best I have ever had.

The internet is now being scoured for kits / plans to build a pizza oven, which is something we have been talking about for a long time.

Edit
And for those surprised we have never had brisket until my wife bought one as it was the last joint in the shop, it was OK. Slow cooked in the Aga bottom oven with onions and herbs, it was pleasant, but I'd not seek it out again.
I've built one using an old pilates ball as the initial mold. Worked surprisingly well, but make the walls thicker than you think. We ended up double lining them. Decent project, should be something on youtube.
Cheers.

I am not the world's best when it comes to doing anything that requires any kind of manual skills.

But I am quite content to unleash my sons on this. One is like his mother and would go at it like a bull in a china shop without planning, but is actually quite practical. The other is less practical, but plans meticulously, i.e. like me.

They will either kill each other or complement each other.
User avatar
Chilli
Posts: 15935
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Chilli »

Last night was Thai Red Curry with pork, peas and sweetcorn.
Tonight was Cottage Pie
Tomorrow night beef schnitzel, mushroom sauce, pan fried veg and chips.
PRPX
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by PRPX »

bimboman wrote:
PRPX wrote:
bimboman wrote:Venison ragu tonight. Made it yesterday afternoon.
Shot a moose in November, making meatballs this weekend.
2 parts minced moose, 1 part minced pork.
Fennel seed , panko, milk, parmesan, oregano, chili, yadda yadda.
Expecting brilliant results.

So am I. Let us know how this goes.

I’ve some more venison mince and think fennel is a genius idea.


Tonight’s was a marinated spatchcock , served with mash, creamed leeks , sprouting broccoli and the best gravy I’ve made for a while.

Had a home made jelly after that.
Two thumbs up.
I like fennel seed in Italian sausage so thought I'd give it a go with meatballs.
An Italian/Canadian friend suggested I put in the real thing - finely minced fennel bulb but wasn't in a 'mincing' mood.

At last it's coming on grilling & bbq season in the NH and I hear the siren song of the Weber bullet smoker.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12309
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by sorCrer »

Knocked out a loaf of cheese, onion and thyme today:

Image
iarmhiman
Posts: 41373
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by iarmhiman »

Stir fry Chicken with green pepper in Srichacha sauce:

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts diced into small pieces
inch garlic chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped and crushed
1 green pepper diced
2 spring onions chopped

marinade for chicken: *

1 Tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
1 table spoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornflour

Sauce:

2 tablespoons of Rice wine
1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
1 table sauce oyster sauce
3 tablespoons of sriracha sauce
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of cornflour

method:

1) Heat 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil in a wok
2) Add Chicken and cook until raw colour disappears
3) Remove chicken to plate
4) Add ginger and garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds
5) Add green pepper and spring onion. Add some water to prevent burning. Only a drop though
6) Add Chicken back in and fry another 1 minute
7) Add sauce. It will immediately thicken. Cook for another minute

Service with you favourite noodles or rice.

* Marinade for 10 minutes before you start cooking
bimboman
Posts: 67400
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by bimboman »

PRPX wrote:
bimboman wrote:
PRPX wrote:
bimboman wrote:Venison ragu tonight. Made it yesterday afternoon.
Shot a moose in November, making meatballs this weekend.
2 parts minced moose, 1 part minced pork.
Fennel seed , panko, milk, parmesan, oregano, chili, yadda yadda.
Expecting brilliant results.

So am I. Let us know how this goes.

I’ve some more venison mince and think fennel is a genius idea.


Tonight’s was a marinated spatchcock , served with mash, creamed leeks , sprouting broccoli and the best gravy I’ve made for a while.

Had a home made jelly after that.
Two thumbs up.
I like fennel seed in Italian sausage so thought I'd give it a go with meatballs.
An Italian/Canadian friend suggested I put in the real thing - finely minced fennel bulb but wasn't in a 'mincing' mood.

At last it's coming on grilling & bbq season in the NH and I hear the siren song of the Weber bullet smoker.

I’ll look for tips on this, have a Webber, have slow cooked and smoked but only a,few times.

Fennel seeds for the next venison ragu it is.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19126
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Jeff the Bear »

The missus has been on a baking binge since the lockdown. So far we've had:

Key Lime Pie
Cumberland Pie
Blueberry muffins
Chocolate muffins
Victoria sponge

Alongside the usual curries. I've had to remove an entire meal from my diet to make way the uptick in cake in the household.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12309
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by sorCrer »

Jeff the Bear wrote:The missus has been on a baking binge since the lockdown. So far we've had:

Key Lime Pie
Cumberland Pie
Blueberry muffins
Chocolate muffins
Victoria sponge

Alongside the usual curries. I've had to remove an entire meal from my diet to make way the uptick in cake in the household.
F'me. Looks like you'll be moving up a division.
bimboman
Posts: 67400
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by bimboman »

Dear god, I love Key lime pie.
TB63
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of nowhere, just off the A420. .

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by TB63 »

Marinade chicken in your usual sauces for a stir fry and add rum....


Thank me later...
User avatar
kiwinoz
Posts: 6917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by kiwinoz »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Luckily for me, I recently purchased a whole lamb from a mate's father who was culling his herd. I have a whole freezer full.

Did a Roast leg of lamb with the trimmings on Sunday.
Frittata with leftover potatoes and chorizo and bacon - did for lunch as well
Shepherds pie made from the leftover lamb
Thai yellow curry with chicken last night

TBH, I've always got a full freezer and cupboard but it was a challenge sending out the Lady of the House to get certain ingredients.

She can't shop for food :lol:
And apparently neither can you :shock:
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5854
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:


:frown:
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 51437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by earl the beaver »

Made Thai Green Curry on Sunday in the end with stirfried veg noodles. I love Thai Green Curry but the noodles are great.

1. Chop up some spring onions and slice a pepper while you boil your noodles and throw the veg in a wok with some soy sauce and ginger.
2. Mix 3 tsp honey, 4tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp shaoxing cooking wine, 1 tsp seasme oil, 2 tsp seasame seeds, 4 cloves garlic together
3. Add noodles to the wok with a generous helping of beansprouts and then pour over the mixed sauce, stiry through and cook until beansprouts soften.
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by redderneck »

Had a lockdown delivery of meat a few weeks back, from a farm/butchers who normally sell to HORECA and some retail butchers. Trying to keep some cashflow and happy to give them a turn.

Included in the mercy package were 2 x 2kg Cote a Los cuts. (Guess ribeye on the bone is about the best translation). Lovely Angus beef. Big plans I had. Sear on outside then 15 mins in oven to roast, maybe an additional minute or two if they were still swimming in their own blood. Maybe bbq. Then slice thinly etc.etc. Went out to walk hound last Saturday. Gone for the afternoon. Arrive home to find my Mrs., inordinately proud of herself, having cooked the family dinner (I cook at w/ends). She had taken one of the cuts and horsed it into the oven for 70 fcuking minutes.

I swear to Jesus, if she didn't have orifices...
iarmhiman
Posts: 41373
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by iarmhiman »

earl the beaver wrote:Made Thai Green Curry on Sunday in the end with stirfried veg noodles. I love Thai Green Curry but the noodles are great.

1. Chop up some spring onions and slice a pepper while you boil your noodles and throw the veg in a wok with some soy sauce and ginger.
2. Mix 3 tsp honey, 4tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp shaoxing cooking wine, 1 tsp seasme oil, 2 tsp seasame seeds, 4 cloves garlic together
3. Add noodles to the wok with a generous helping of beansprouts and then pour over the mixed sauce, stiry through and cook until beansprouts soften.

It's the king ingredient in Chinese sauces . I know you're making a Thai green curry but for Chinese sauces and marinades rice wine is the business.
User avatar
Bokkom
Posts: 4299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by Bokkom »

Made and old favourite yesterday, ox tongue.
Also brown onion sauce (with a dash of red wine) for the rice as well as pumpkin fritters with cinnamon sugar.
User avatar
nuffsaid
Posts: 3285
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 am
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

Re: The lockdown cooking thread

Post by nuffsaid »

Good thread this one guys. I didn’t want to see it slip down the pages too much so posted this despite it being unspectacular.

I needed to use up some chestnut mushrooms and some quite old brown basmati rice so made a quick pilaf last night with shallots and chopped toasted hazelnuts / chopped parsley. It was very nice with shaved Parmesan and a rocket salad dressed with a good old balsamic vinegar.

Versatility and adaptability will be key skills over the next few weeks so I welcome anything that sparks any level over creativity and a can-do attitude. :thumbup:
Post Reply