Scummings going by Xmas..... Boris next year.

All things Rugby
shereblue

Re: Boris goooooone or going?

Post by shereblue »

eldanielfire wrote:
Leffe wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Leffe wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
We won't be rejoining the eu
Well not now you've the extra 350M per week for NHS PPE no, there's no need.
bugger off back to the Brexit thread.
Not relevant toa thread about Boris contracting the Corona and being cared for by the NHS, which the very same man who lied to the British people about this NHS funding.

These things are not connected.

Right.
What did he lie about. The NHS funding went up by way over £350 a week between the Brexit vote and Boris becoming PM under Theresa May. His recent 34 billion increase just before the Coronavirus pandemic took over is also twice that number an increase.

Gross or net?

Years ago, Chelsea and Ruud Gullit were negotiating over his prospective wages and some extraordinary salary then like £500k p.a. was offered...which Gullit's agent accepted on the basis it was "net".

Seeing as you choose to perperuate the lie on the wrong thread however, perhaps you will forgive me for saying the UK has never "sent" the EU 350m. a week. It was a lie designed to get the spotlight on what would seem a very large amount to yer average Sun reader and the bad boys of Brexit congratulated themselves over it..

Also it was never a lie. Besides the fact it was taken to court and a judge declared it wasn't a lie. It was the gross figure, not the net figure. Something that for some reason Remainers couldn't get over (and still don't appear to be over) and thus kept promoting that we send hundreds of millions to the EU each week through the referendum. To the average person it didn't matter if it was £350 or £220 million, it was a huge amount. Which is why this attack on Boris is always doomed to failure
You're partly right. Gross or net who cares. Reminds me of when Chelsea were negotiating a manager's contract with Ruud Gullit's agent. Chelsea put forward a then massive basic like £500k p.a. as a final offer. Ruud, being a decent guy, said ok, fair enough, £500k. Net.

You are partly wrong. The UK never "sent" a gross figure to the EU as stated. You are right that, whatever the figure, it represented an unholy amount of 65" TVs to the average Brexit voter.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:The claim they were following the medical advice has once again been shown to be absolute bollox. Yet the Tory boys on here will continue to claim that is exactly what they were doing.

From Robert Peston
On 11 February, I emailed ITV colleagues that a senior government source had told me ‘we should know within a fortnight or so if we are looking at a pandemic in the UK. The risk is 60 percent of the population getting it. With the mortality rate of perhaps just over 1%, we are looking at not far off 500k deaths.’

“Ministers knew by 2nd week of February the gravity of what confronted us. So I am literally gobsmacked by The Sunday Times’ disclosure that the PM was not prioritising the looming coronavirus catastrophe till March.”

Mr Peston also added senior health experts knew of the threat of COVID-19 on January 22, a date he remembers due to discussing the issue on his self-titled show.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... t-covid-19
The minutes of the meetings of the advisory bodies are online, the link is of a NHS Scientist pointing out what for. It's not the first time Preston has been corrected by Scientists and medics in this crisis.

The media have been itching for some Gotcha for a while now has been losing a lot of income. They want to sensationalise things.
I was under the impression that the minutes of SAGE meetings were being withheld. Glad to hear they are after all all online. Do you have a link to those minutes?
malky

Post by malky »

DragsterDriver wrote:Could we have washable gowns?
I was thinking that - if washing our hands in soap for 20 seconds gets rid of it............. then 20 minutes in a washing machine at a high temperature with detergent must obliterate it.
Saint

Post by Saint »

malky wrote:
I was thinking that - if washing our hands in soap for 20 seconds gets rid of it............. then 20 minutes in a washing machine at a high temperature with detergent must obliterate it.
Mrs Saint's uniforms are supposed to be washed at 60 degrees with bio. I suspect the issue is the bulk and the facilities to actually wash enough gowns. You're going to need to wash a huge number each day
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

malky wrote:
Apparently every time you wash a face mask it reduces the ability of the material to actually physically trap the virus. They said to day gowns could maybe be washed up to 3 times with each time slightly reducing it's effectiveness.

I'm guessing you could get them to put on heavy plastic gowns and sweat like plum until they pass out. Either that or get them the proper kit.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

shereblue wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:The claim they were following the medical advice has once again been shown to be absolute bollox. Yet the Tory boys on here will continue to claim that is exactly what they were doing.

From Robert Peston
On 11 February, I emailed ITV colleagues that a senior government source had told me ‘we should know within a fortnight or so if we are looking at a pandemic in the UK. The risk is 60 percent of the population getting it. With the mortality rate of perhaps just over 1%, we are looking at not far off 500k deaths.’

“Ministers knew by 2nd week of February the gravity of what confronted us. So I am literally gobsmacked by The Sunday Times’ disclosure that the PM was not prioritising the looming coronavirus catastrophe till March.”

Mr Peston also added senior health experts knew of the threat of COVID-19 on January 22, a date he remembers due to discussing the issue on his self-titled show.

The minutes of the meetings of the advisory bodies are online, the link is of a NHS Scientist pointing out what for. It's not the first time Preston has been corrected by Scientists and medics in this crisis.

The media have been itching for some Gotcha for a while now has been losing a lot of income. They want to sensationalise things.
I was under the impression that the minutes of SAGE meetings were being withheld. Glad to hear they are after all all online. Do you have a link to those minutes?
it's not the sage meetings, it's the NERVTAG ones

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/ne ... sory-group
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Anonymous. wrote:
malky wrote:
Apparently every time you wash a face mask it reduces the ability of the material to actually physically trap the virus. They said to day gowns could maybe be washed up to 3 times with each time slightly reducing it's effectiveness.

I'm guessing you could get them to put on heavy plastic gowns and sweat like plum until they pass out. Either that or get them the proper kit.
If you make a home-made mask out of t-shirt material or similar, than you can use an iron to kill any Covid bugs on it. Saves you having to wash it every day.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
malky wrote:

If you make a home-made mask out of t-shirt material or similar, than you can use an iron to kill any Covid bugs on it. Saves you having to wash it every day.

Soak them in a Milton solution and dry them afterwards.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

P in VG wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
P in VG wrote:
It was dumbed-down misleading rhetoric - Brexiteer 101.

Sadly - it works :thumbdown:
I wouldn't say it was misleading, it was the official gross figure sent to the EU. It also did it's exact purpose, it exposed a huge volume of money was sent to the EU. Any campaign is always going to use the figures that work best for them.

I always found it weird why Remainers got so hung-up on this figure and calling it a lie, as your post shows. An element of group think I know, the Remaine campaign went hard on this point and remainers will naturally follow. But the chief remainers and politicians knew, or should have known it had a basis in reality as the gross figure. Therefore going mad and ranty over it, claiming it was made-up or a total lie rather than clarifying it as always dumb. As I explained before, it only amplified the argument the EU is bloody expensive and gets figures not imaginable to the average every day person.

My own theory is the Remain side mostly made up of left wingers who have seen Boris (quite inexplicable I know) popularity with people before and his teflon nature. His political opponents are shat themselves when Boris joined the Brexit side. They knew he's one of the few politicians that swing people his way. They also got caught up in a need to prove Boris was wrong. So there were looking all along for any incident that could undermine him as a liar (and he is, he'll say just about anything), and jumped on this one hard and one they where on it and certain it was 'their moment', they couldn't back away and compounded the problem. Cummings had smartly set a trap for them to die on a very small detail that only emphasises the Brexit campaigns point. Straight out of Sun Tzu's Art of War.
Art of war :lol: STFUYC

Cummings comes up with evocative & emotional slogans that the hard-of-thinking can pin their existence to (he does it well tbf)

Get Brexit done.
Brexit means Brexit / Leave means Leave.
Take Back control.
He does. So do all good campaigners for many decades. Cummings also used the £350 million figure because Remain would want to put their side across and say it's the gross not net amount and further highlight the UK sends the EU hundreds of millions to the EU and get your enemies in a tissy repeating that message and damaging themselves. It's Sun Tzu's tactics straight out of Art of War. I don't think Cummings could know how successful and OTT Remain would forever be about it.

The bus is another example - It staggers me that you don't think it's misleading - The average dullard on the street doesn't understand the difference between gross and net - THAT'S who the bus is aimed at (along with all the other slogans) - the wider debate is immaterial.

The wider debate is how Remain campaign kept repeating the talking point and giving . As I said they used the gross amount, there isn't anything misleading about it but it has no details or context as all slogans don't.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote: Soak them in a Milton solution and dry them afterwards.
Yeah, nah. Hasn't been in the shops around here for about 6 weeks. Sold out.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sandstorm wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
malky wrote:

Home made masks are a start for Joe public limiting the chances of spreading the virus to someone else. We are talking PPE for workers preventing them from getting the virus from someone else.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sandstorm wrote:
bimboman wrote: Soak them in a Milton solution and dry them afterwards.
Yeah, nah. Hasn't been in the shops around here for about 6 weeks. Sold out.

We get ours delivered from amazon. They’ve got loads.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Sandstorm wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
malky wrote:

You not burn your face?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

shereblue wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

From Robert Peston

The NERVTAG ones are. Unless SAGE, sourced from some of the same institutions as NERVTAG were saying something completely different and are saying different things in their press then I doubt Th Government did anything but follow their guidance. And for all those criticising them, magazine editors, journalists, activists, the official science directions at the time was treated as they should be. Of course if there is something massive that contradicts all this, and it seems unlikely given the weight of evidence so far, then there isn't really much to criticse. An itchy media desperate for negativity and activists/twitter activists who would love to bring down Johnson or can't accept a fair view of him.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

So the minutes are not online despite the explicit claim to the contrary. But we may deduce from the minutes of a subordinate body, so they don't need to be.

SAGE minutes are usually online so WHY are they being withheld with regard to the Pandemic?

Panglossian answer as per our sainted Government, Bimbo, ElD etc:

This is an unprecedented global pandemic and we have taken the right steps at the right time to combat it, guided at all times by the best scientific advice.

Rinse and Repeat.

Perhaps I need to read the Art of War or something rather than wondering what this best scientific advice actually is? :uhoh:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I'd really like to know exactly what they were told and when. On the 24th of Jan Matt Hancock said the risk to the British public was low.
Peston
On 11 February, I emailed ITV colleagues that a senior government source had told me ‘we should know within a fortnight or so if we are looking at a pandemic in the UK. The risk is 60 percent of the population getting it. With the mortality rate of perhaps just over 1%, we are looking at not far off 500k deaths.
13th of March
The UK's chief scientific adviser has said the government wants 60 per cent of the population to catch coronavirus to try and create “herd immunity” to protect against the virus becoming an annual crisis.
So are we to believe they had modelling that was telling them nothing to see here. Then modelling that was telling them half a million people would die. Then modelling that told them it was best to let the population get it and build up heard immunity. Then a day or so later modelling that told them loads of people would die so they changed their minds and decided to think about lock down for about a week before shutting it down.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous. wrote:I'd really like to know exactly what they were told and when. On the 24th of Jan Matt Hancock said the risk to the British public was low.
Peston
On 11 February, I emailed ITV colleagues that a senior government source had told me ‘we should know within a fortnight or so if we are looking at a pandemic in the UK. The risk is 60 percent of the population getting it. With the mortality rate of perhaps just over 1%, we are looking at not far off 500k deaths.
13th of March
The UK's chief scientific adviser has said the government wants 60 per cent of the population to catch coronavirus to try and create “herd immunity” to protect against the virus becoming an annual crisis.
So are we to believe they had modelling that was telling them nothing to see here. Then modelling that was telling them half a million people would die. Then modelling that told them it was best to let the population get it and build up heard immunity. Then a day or so later modelling that told them loads of people would die so they changed their minds and decided to think about lock down for about a week before shutting it down.

Every 1/2 truth and misrepresentation summarised nicely here.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:I'd really like to know exactly what they were told and when. On the 24th of Jan Matt Hancock said the risk to the British public was low.
Peston
13th of March

I get why their aim was to protect the most vulnerable at let people get it so there would be a heard immunity but why did they deny that was their aim ?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I get why their aim was to protect the most vulnerable at let people get it so there would be a heard immunity but why did they deny that was their aim ?

Was that their “aim” , you must have some secret stuff.
message #2527204

Anonymous. wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Peston
13th of March

They didn't. Vallance spoke about it on the tv. There was always going to be a lockdown afterwards, but they wanted to get the old and vulnerable 'coccooned' first. They wanted to introduce measures gradually.The herd immunity thing was misunderstood.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

message #2527204 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote: I get why their aim was to protect the most vulnerable at let people get it so there would be a heard immunity but why did they deny that was their aim ?
They didn't. Vallance spoke about it on the tv. There was always going to be a lockdown afterwards, but they wanted to get the old and vulnerable 'coccooned' first. They wanted to introduce measures gradually.The herd immunity thing was misunderstood.
Heard immunity misunderstood :roll:

Sir Patrick Vallance told BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme that he thought the coronavirus was likely to become an "annual virus" and that the strategy was to limit the impact on the NHS but not stop the virus completely.

He said: “What we don't want is everybody to end up getting it in a short period of time so we swamp and overwhelm NHS services - that's the flattening of the peak," he said.

He later told Sky News: "Communities will become immune to it and that's going to be an important part of controlling this longer term

"About 60 per cent is the sort of figure you need to get herd immunity
Always going to have a lock down :roll:
Sir Patrick said some of the social distancing measures put in place by the government, including self-isolating for seven days if symptoms develop, are "actually quite extreme".

Sir Patrick said it was "eye-catching" to order the cancellation of mass gatherings and sporting events but that the chances of contracting the disease by attending such occasions are slim.

He told the BBC: "Mass gatherings do have some impact, it is not that they don't do anything if you stop them.

"But they are very much more minor than the other ones.

"The most likely place you are going to get an infection from is a family member, a friend, someone very close in a small space, not in the big space.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anons goooone full piers Morgan. :thumbup:
message #2527204

Anonymous. wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote: I get why their aim was to protect the most vulnerable at let people get it so there would be a heard immunity but why did they deny that was their aim ?

Sir Patrick Vallance told BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme that he thought the coronavirus was likely to become an "annual virus" and that the strategy was to limit the impact on the NHS but not stop the virus completely.

He said: “What we don't want is everybody to end up getting it in a short period of time so we swamp and overwhelm NHS services - that's the flattening of the peak," he said.

He later told Sky News: "Communities will become immune to it and that's going to be an important part of controlling this longer term

Sir Patrick said some of the social distancing measures put in place by the government, including self-isolating for seven days if symptoms develop, are "actually quite extreme".

Sir Patrick said it was "eye-catching" to order the cancellation of mass gatherings and sporting events but that the chances of contracting the disease by attending such occasions are slim.

He told the BBC: "Mass gatherings do have some impact, it is not that they don't do anything if you stop them.

"The most likely place you are going to get an infection from is a family member, a friend, someone very close in a small space, not in the big space.
That obviously means something very different to you than it does to me.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

message #2527204 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:

That obviously means something very different to you than it does to me.
If you woke up in your own bed with Boris's cock up your jacksie you'd probably try and convince the world it was a case of mistaken identity and Boris thought it was his Mrs.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Saint wrote:
malky wrote:
Mrs Saint's uniforms are supposed to be washed at 60 degrees with bio. I suspect the issue is the bulk and the facilities to actually wash enough gowns. You're going to need to wash a huge number each day
I wasn’t sure. Our local hospital has a huge laundry, probably for all the bed sheets etc but they haven’t got hardly any patients at the moment.

Not sure Greta approves of the disposable stuff anyway.
Saint

Post by Saint »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Saint wrote:
malky wrote:
I wasn’t sure. Our local hospital has a huge laundry, probably for all the bed sheets etc but they haven’t got hardly any patients at the moment.

You're potentially going through multiple gowns per medic per day - you'd far exceed the ordinary capacity of the hospital laundry
message #2527204

DragsterDriver wrote:
Saint wrote:
malky wrote:

Hopefully we'll send it back to China for recycling.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
shereblue wrote: Will bow to your greater knowledge on SE. I was only teasing, ironically. My beef is with the such and such a party or country can do no wrong. No names from this forum but consider the Dept of Social Care Media Centre's comment today that stated:

We have taken the right steps at the right time to combat it, guided at all times by the best scientific advice.

I would have thought that indicates an attitude that is not ready to learn.

Perhaps such an Olympian level of "bestness" does not need to learn and we should take the best science and the best scientists on trust?

Oh i agree that most Western governments come out of this not looking good other than maybe the likes of Germany but it is too early to tell.

The West by enlarge could have had sufficient stocks of PPE and ventilators in place if they had acted sooner, one of the smartest/savvy dudes going, Bill Gates, was warning all and sundry that we were ill-equiped to deal with a pandemic like this back in 2015, if anyone hasn't seen his TED talk on this google it, but he was ignored as we cant be seen to waste any money on excess in the likes of the health service so must cut as much cost as possible even when you are worrying over pennies in the grand scheme of things.

It's a bit likes loads of people spending hundreds if not thousands on flights but not wanting to pay a few quid more for the travel insurance in case things go wrong, they would rather just save the tenner and take their chances and end up losing the lot and crying foul to the airline.

So should we have spent a *couple of hundred grand on ventilators and more PPE stock just in case we get hit or take our chances have trillions wiped off our economies, hindsight is wonderful but the true test out of all of this will be what lessons were learnt if any. People fudge up and fudge up big time in this case but I ahve a lot more time for people that learn from their mistakes rather than blindly follow down the same path because of dogma etc.

We also to be fair were lied to by the Chinese and the true scale of the problem was not really known until Italy got overrun with it.

* Dont know how much the cost of PPE and ventilators would be but it aint trillions or even billions!
You need a pandemic to prepare for one otherwise the great toilet roll buying hordes can't get it.

Now there won't be any tears about ppe rotting in stockpiles and "Tories wasting vital NHS funds" in the future. "Why do we have 500,000 masks in storage and a 10yr old boy laying on the hospital floor" etc.
There is an element to this for sure but equally I’m not convinced that the ones in charge of running the likes of the NHS prioritise where and how they are spending the money correctly either. Just one tiny example and it may only be our local health board (who are a bit of a shambles according to the docs I know), crutches for when you break your leg etc are deemed disposable, you don’t return them when you no longer need them you just bin them. I found this staggering to be honest when I buggered my ankle a few years back and went to return the crutches. Now I’m not saying we bin everything but things like this and the waste it causes must Shirley give pause for thought somewhere.
It's crazy. I assume it's in case they get sued for giving out defective gear, but surely they could pay some company 50p per crutch to test and certify it was structurally sound.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

For all the conspiracy nutters.

With the minutes.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

fudge me. You go online to see the best v the best.
End up with Anon v Bimbo.
Wanted Dawkins v Hitch
Got Joe Swash v Joey Essex
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eugenefraxby wrote:fudge me. You go online to see the best v the best.
End up with Anon v Bimbo.
Wanted Dawkins v Hitch
Got Joe Swash v Joey Essex

Shouldn’t you be preparing your non payout excuses ?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

bimboman wrote:For all the conspiracy nutters.

With the minutes.
That's your defence of Boris? The last meeting was March 04 and I believe he didn't attend any of them.

The following two weeks are kind of the most important, don't you think?
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Boris must be feeling better, his personal mouthpiece is being used to throw Matt Hancock to the wolves.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Muttonbirds wrote:

With the minutes.
That's your defence of Boris? The last meeting was March 04 and I believe he didn't attend any of them.

What on earth are you talking about.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Sefton wrote:Boris must be feeling better, his personal mouthpiece is being used to throw Matt Hancock to the wolves.
Bit early for that I'd have thought. But definitely some briefing going on!!
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

bimboman wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With the minutes.

I did eventually read what you were responding to and it's a small battle within a small battle. Looks like you are having to put out fires all over the place.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

With the minutes.
ElD stated: The minutes of the meetings of the advisory bodies are online

He then conceded above that this did not include those of the Government's advisory body, into which the likes of Nervtag amongst others feed. SAGE, the body whose science the Government claims to be led by.

We have seen the positive effects of sharing information and the negative effects of witholding it

If you think that the basis for Government's scientific thinking should be secret whilst other meetings are disclosable, I'd be very interested to hear your reasons.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Muttonbirds wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With the minutes.

I did eventually read what you were responding to and it's a small battle within a small battle. Looks like you are having to put out fires all over the place.

That’s no explanation of your gibberish I’m asking about. It’s just the minutes of the scientists work.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote:

With the minutes.

He then conceded above that this did not include those of the Government's advisory body, into which the likes of Nervtag amongst others feed. SAGE, the body whose science the Government claims to be led by.

We have seen the positive effects of sharing information and the negative effects of witholding it

If you think that the basis for Government's scientific thinking should be secret whilst other meetings are disclosable, I'd be very interested to hear your reasons.

The minutes are there to read. You realise Nertag feed into SAGE correct?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote:
shereblue wrote:

With the minutes.

The minutes are there to read. You realise Nertag feed into SAGE correct?
I just stated that. So do others. Nervtag is not SAGE (pretty basic stuff). SAGE then advises the Government. It really is simple. Once again:

What are the reasons for making the SAGE minutes secret?