Scummings going by Xmas..... Boris next year.

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: Boris goooooone or just Cummings?

Post by eldanielfire »

ovalball wrote: He, and his Government, may not come out of the post Covid review very well - that could be extremely damaging. Not sure he'll be seen as being that lucky.

And, if he fails to deliver a Brexit trade agreement with the EU...............
They will spin it that the EU are playing silly buggers with sovereign British laws, land and waters and that isn't acceptable. as the EU denied a Canada like deal that they even allowed Canada to have and previous put on the table.

But as said, late or not both sides want a deal and it's destructive for both sides to not do one even if it is late.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

bimboman wrote:
His popularity will rise.
If it does, it won't say much for the ability of UK voters to use logic in their political decision making.

I'd also be interested to know what degree of support Brexit still has in the UK, given that the demographic that supported it has taken the biggest hit in the pandemic.

It would be a shame if the UK had to shoulder years of economic hardship on account of voters who have long since passed on.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

ovalball wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
shereblue wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
shereblue wrote:ich in turn led to the disastrous election for Labour in 2019. Their CEO Naomi Smith has spent ye
Fair point on the Best for Britain think tank. Much depends on the phrasing and sequence of questions. Not to say the data lacks any validity.
As I said the general trend is right, most Brexiteers want a deal.
I was surprised by your comment on the overturning of Attlee's majority (over all other parties) so checked it:
Labour maj of 146 in 1945 became a Tory majority of 17 in 6 years (after a virtual draw in 1950)

For good measure, MacMillan lost a 100 majority in 1959 to Wilson in 1964 before Wilson himself later lost a majority of 98 in 1966 to Heath in 1970.

Third parties have enjoyed a resurgence since those days and our "not fit for purpose" electoral system either gravely undervalues those votes (LibDems) or stratospherically enhances them (Scots Nats).

I fear most people will be enduring a hard slog economically up to 2024 when I anticipate a continuation of the meaningless Tory tactic of covering itself in the flag. Perhaps, as with Churchill's defeat by Attlee after the war, the public will be less minded to buy into that and go for an appearance of dull competence? I would hope so, not because I'd like Labour to win but because corruption and venality begin to set in when a Party or leader remain too long in power (see US constitution, Thatcher:Major, Blair:Brown etc).

Meanwhile we'll all be doing our best for ourselves and our country regardless of the hand we are given.
One of my frustrations of the past 40 years f politics is that we have only had long cycles of one party in power. It's why I would want the 5 year term to be made 4 max. Of course we are also in a weird one, Boris is more of a Tory maverick, he was always the enemy within of both Cameron and May's governments. However he's clearly going in a new economic direction to the Cameron-Osborn austerity of old and the stagnant May years.

Which is why I find him feeling almost like a new start. Also we have only had 3 years of actual Tory majority government in the past 10 years. I'm not hugely partisan for either political party but I was for years droning on about how Labour's 2017 manifesto was the one we needed as a country which is why I'm following this governments intent to spend to invest and to see if they do it.
Post Covid, we're in new territory now. As is most of the world. Johnson didn't ask for this tbf. His opportunist Brexitism aside, I'd have taken him after the hapless May.

In terms of 5 year predictions, Johnson sits in a world where more bets are now off than ever* before. Interesting times. How they will fit in with electoral cycles is truly up in the air. God knows what the story will be meanwhile.

I just think reliable competence may be a winning contrast as compared to flag waving optimism if the economy is still not looking good for most.

*exaggeration ;)
I think in 5 years the economy will be on the up. Britain is to robust that way, as are all the major western economies. As 2008 showed. Johnson will also be able to claim credit in the long term for the generous Furlong scheme and support and claim most jobs were saved thanks to that.

I also think Johnson is what Napoleon always wanted,a lucky general. May did all the unpopular work on the divorce deal and Boris took the credit for getting it through when in reality the whole circus had pissed of the public. the short term effects of Brexit (which I said there almost certainly would be) will be masked by the Pandemic. The Pandemic may will pressurise the EU to more compromise due to them being much more fragile economically they wouldn't want to be in a 'spite your face' situation just to look like they have the bigger dick. right now. Even if the negotiations carry on past the deadline. Likewise the seeds for a more popularist leader where planted in the Blair-Brown-Cameron era, in most countries it's been an opposition to reaped the benefits, but here it was Johnson not Labour received the benefits of. Helped of course by Labour's political thinking moving ever more into it's insular bubble. Johnson is very much a lucky leader.

Johnson position reminds me of Blair a lot, Blair took a ton of criticism though his leadership even prior to Iraq, The F1 cash donation for sponsorship, introducing student fees, Peter Mandleson's couple of incidents to be fired twice, the Fireman strike, the Millennium Dome elephant etc. All big negative headline in their day
He, and his Government, may not come out of the post Covid review very well - that could be extremely damaging. Not sure he'll be seen as being that lucky.

I think there are sooo many variables. US election. Chyna. HK. EU. And then some. Many of them without attractive, winsome solutions. EDF still blinkered in seeing the EU as the negotiating party enfeebled and under pressure to compromise. Many self employed have not been helped and businesses have received Government loans upon which many will inevitably default. Furloughed workers will not all be returning to jobs. Not sure about "gratitude" 4 years hence. I agree with EDF though that in becoming PM, Johnson was lucky to have Corbyn and perhaps also May.
Last edited by shereblue on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

Frodder wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Frodder wrote:What did super Matt say about the app going South?

He protected the NHS again.
#clapforMatt
A mild rash would be sufficient.
You harsh man
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Shielding update bumped for message management?
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
If it does, it won't say much for the ability of UK voters to use logic in their political decision making.

I'd also be interested to know what degree of support Brexit still has in the UK, given that the demographic that supported it has taken the biggest hit in the pandemic.

It would be a shame if the UK had to shoulder years of economic hardship on account of voters who have long since passed on.
Oh look it's the resident remoaner prick in chief doing what it does best, making shite up as it goes along. Disaffected Jockstrap complete with shoulder chip and small dick syndrome, keep them coming scrotum, you're a riot...
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

shereblue wrote: I think there are sooo many variables. US election. Chyna. HK. EU. And then some. Many of them without attractive, winsome solutions. EDF still blinkered in seeing the EU as the negotiating party enfeebled and under pressure to compromise. Many self employed have not been helped and businesses have received Government loans upon which many will inevitably default. Furloughed workers will not all be returning to jobs. Not sure about "gratitude" 4 years hence. I agree with EDF though that in becoming PM, Johnson was lucky to have Corbyn and perhaps also May.
I think that's about where his luck ran out - except that the crisis happened so early in his tenure.

That's not to say that the Tories will lose the next election, with or without BoJo. But, it may well be without...........
piquant

Post by piquant »

eldanielfire wrote:
piquant wrote:
shereblue wrote: Johnson didn't ask for this tbf.
Though he's not had much to say about stopping a repeat performance. (He's hardly the only one, but still, he's stuck not wanting to do the inconvenient and unpopular)
What do you think he should do?
Work on this sort of disease not returning. Not something we can do in isolation, though he's been a big part of removing us from our most influential lobbying group. But we need progress on animal husbandry and slaughter, on maintaining habitats, on biodiversity and likely an awful lot more than would occur to me, and this it wasn't unknown before this year, but it's been pushed aside as something politicians would prefer not to deal with, it's difficult, it's expensive, and diligent work in the field will attract precious few votes
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Oh look it's the resident remoaner prick in chief doing what it does best, making shite up as it goes along. Disaffected Jockstrap complete with shoulder chip and small dick syndrome, keep them coming scrotum, you're a riot...
Dear me, you ARE a bit bitter.

What, in particular do you think I'm "making up"?

I think it's a matter of record that the demographic most fervently in support of Brexit is the same as is most likely to be struck down in their care homes.

I'm merely expressing an interest in whether the 2% margin that is forcing the UK into likely penury has been eroded at all. And, indeed, whether it still exists.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I think it's a matter of record that the demographic most fervently in support of Brexit is the same as is most likely to be struck down in their care homes.

I'm merely expressing an interest in whether the 2% margin that is forcing the UK into likely penury has been eroded at all. And, indeed, whether it still exists.
As Bimbo would say 'a near majority voted to stay in the EU' :lol:
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Im not entirely sure that’s right. The boomer generation is substantially pro brexit, but the trend reverses when you get to the war generation because they remember what a fractious, divided Europe did before.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2019 ... llennials/
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Me bitter? Hilarious, I'm not one of the coksuckers that have spent the last four years, bleating, whinging, whining, and belly-crawling around forums because I have refused to accept the result of a referendum. The leave vote has done me some damage though like all sensible folk I have accepted the result and moved on.
You are your ilk are on the other hand are a fcukin disgrace to Britain, if I had my way I'd herd you all together and shovel you across the channel direction France, go and suck on France's tit doedelzak, see how long you last.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Me bitter? Hilarious, I'm not one of the coksuckers that have spent the last four years, bleating, whinging, whining, and belly-crawling around forums because I have refused to accept the result of a referendum. The leave vote has done me some damage though like all sensible folk I have accepted the result and moved on.
You are your ilk are on the other hand are a fcukin disgrace to Britain, if I had my way I'd herd you all together and shovel you across the channel direction France, go and suck on France's tit doedelzak, see how long you last.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Bayern wrote:
Every post you've made has been a whinge.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:

That's a bit pathetic. Within a year of the vote people were saying there should be another vote because lots of people who voted to leave will have died. I think leave won by 1.3 million votes didn't they. I know we've lost between 40-55k people in this pandemic but get a grip
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

ovalball wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Every post you've made has been a whinge.
he's coming across as quite unbalanced.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Biffer29 wrote:
Im not entirely sure that’s right. The boomer generation is substantially pro brexit, but the trend reverses when you get to the war generation because they remember what a fractious, divided Europe did before.

Good point. It also means that the supposed "Old age deaths make us Remainers" argument is somewhat flawed. There is also the false idea Boomers/Ge-X/Millennial are one or the other. About 30% of of under 30's are pro-Brexit and 40% of over 45's pro Remain. We can also point out how Brexit polls seem to under estimate the Pro-Brexit majority and the vote was possibly taken at the low point for Brexitters (soon after the stabbing of Jo Cox).

Likewise as polls have shown the biggest majority in Brexit is 60-70% accepted the outcome of Brexit meaning the brexit plus Remainers who accept the vote far outweighed anything else.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

eldanielfire wrote:
Likewise as polls have shown the biggest majority in Brexit is 60-70% accepted the outcome of Brexit meaning the brexit plus Remainers who accept the vote far outweighed anything else.
can anyone translate this sentence into english?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Regardless of voting against it, a significant proportion of Remainers believe the result must stand so it doesn't matter if there are more Remainers standing today.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Regardless of voting against it, a significant proportion of Remainers believe the result must stand so it doesn't matter if there are more Remainers standing today.
not challenging, but have you got links to that?

and has there been any polling about leave voters who have changed positions?

interesting to know, especially when you factor in the people who have come to voting age since the referendum.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

interesting to know, especially when you factor in the people who have come to voting age since the referendum.
Happy to, not got my original articles from months and years ago however but a quick google:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... t-electora

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ic-still-t

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/research-papers/w ... remainers/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... t-working/

The various continuity Remain campaigns have wound up. No one is arguing for a second referendum. But that doesn’t stop some Europhiles feeling resentful. They may no longer aim to stop Brexit; but they want to stop it succeeding.

To be clear, I am not talking about the majority of Remainers. Most of the 48 per cent accepted the referendum result with good grace. Many voted Remain because they were concerned about a short-term economic hit, and were delighted when the predicted downturn failed to materialise. But there is a spiteful minority. A YouGov survey in 2017 found that one in five Remainers believed that “significant damage to the UK economy is a price worth paying to teach Leave politicians and Leave voters a lesson”.

Been fairly consistent since 2016 really.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Biffer29 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:His popularity will rise.

Thanks. That's informative.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Bayern wrote:
Rinkals wrote: If it does, it won't say much for the ability of UK voters to use logic in their political decision making.

I live in Johannesburg.

I'm sure that living in France wouldn't hold too many terrors for me.

In any case, I make no secret of the fact that I think that Brexit is a stupid idea driven by people who either held the notion that it was an opportunity to re-establish themselves in the forefront of the global order as they were in the days when they controlled an Empire ("Empire2.0") or who had a xenophobic mistrust of foreigners and saw it as an opportunity to rid the Country of people that they didn't feel were British.

Both groups have ignored the economic implications of jettisoning possibly the largest market in the free world on the alter of these outcomes or have succumbed to the lies that suggested German car makers would force the "easiest deal in history" or that we can "have our cake and eat it too" or that the contributions made to the EU could fund the NHS.

Britain is a fairly resourceful (in terms of human resources rather than natural resources, of course) and perhaps they will be able to persevere, but it won't be easy and the whole world knows that they are negotiating FTAs from a position of weakness. Please don't expect Donald Trump to come to your rescue, either.

Ultimately, it will fall to the demographic who voted to remain (by which I mean people largely under 30) to bear the brunt of any economic hardship and the demographic who voted to leave (the pensioners) to remain largely unaffected.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Long way back for Labour, according to their own report....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... port-finds

"Labour has a “mountain to climb” if it is to get back into power, according to a major review of the 2019 general election defeat, which paints a picture of dysfunctionality, toxicity and drift inside the party’s election-fighting machine.

Negative perceptions of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, doubts about the manifesto and the party’s ambivalent Brexit stance reinforced each other in a “snowballing” effect to deliver December’s catastrophic result, the 150-page report by the party group Labour Together argues.

However, it was also the product of two decades of demographic and political change that hit the party’s traditional base, and could endanger more Labour seats in 2024.

“Labour’s electoral coalition had been fracturing for a long time and was broken in 2019. We were rejected by many of the communities we were founded to represent,” says the report, seen by the Guardian. “We lost all types of voters everywhere compared with 2017, except in London.”"
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Happy to, not got my original articles from months and years ago however but a quick google:

The various continuity Remain campaigns have wound up. No one is arguing for a second referendum. But that doesn’t stop some Europhiles feeling resentful. They may no longer aim to stop Brexit; but they want to stop it succeeding.

To be clear, I am not talking about the majority of Remainers. Most of the 48 per cent accepted the referendum result with good grace. Many voted Remain because they were concerned about a short-term economic hit, and were delighted when the predicted downturn failed to materialise. But there is a spiteful minority. A YouGov survey in 2017 found that one in five Remainers believed that “significant damage to the UK economy is a price worth paying to teach Leave politicians and Leave voters a lesson”.

No context, eh?

Perhaps you need to balance the above minority Remainer attitude with the destructive zealotry of the majority of Brexit supporters who were prepared for the country to suffer significant economic damage to achieve Brexit and indeed a majority of whom were prepared for personal or family job losses to achieve it.

For the Brexit thread, natch.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Bayern wrote: " are actually priming people to look for the bad news"

Oh the irony you bitter remoaning twat :lol:
Want a hug?
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Shirley the paintjob on the plane should say,

"We could've spent 900K on the NHS instead, but we decided to spaff it on another of the PM's patheticly inane vanity projects"
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Insane_Homer wrote:Shirley the paintjob on the plane should say,

"We could've spent 900K on the NHS instead, but we decided to spaff it on another of the PM's patheticly inane vanity projects"

Have you checked out what almost every other modern countries leaders fly on? Are they all “inane”.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

shereblue wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
happyhooker wrote: can anyone translate this sentence into english?

No context, eh?

Perhaps you need to balance the above minority Remainer attitude with the destructive zealotry of the majority of Brexit supporters who were prepared for the country to suffer significant economic damage to achieve Brexit and indeed a majority of whom were prepared for personal or family job losses to achieve it.

It's done. Trying to wreck the economy because you're either a bad loser or don't believe in democracy is a childishly shit stance to take.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

shereblue wrote:
No context, eh?

I wasn't making any point about that. However you could say the Brexiters wnated Brexit because they thought it was better, even if the economics are entirely positive, rather than wanting damage out of spite to otehr Brits.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote:

Have you checked out what almost every other modern countries leaders fly on? Are they all “inane”.
Unfortunately Johnson has a long history of inane vanity projects that have cost the taxpayer a fortune.
This one's not so bad and I'd rather the royal family who share it will be flying in a well liveried plane rather than grey military looking one.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Unfortunately Johnson has a long history of inane vanity projects that have cost the taxpayer a fortune.
This one's not so bad and I'd rather the royal family who share it will be flying in a well liveried plane rather than grey military looking one.

Blair force one was 30 mill .....
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

So what? The blonde slug's bridge that didn't get built was over £40m
message #2527204

SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

But it didn't get built?
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

He spent £43m on not building it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698
Around £43m came from the public's pocket, TfL added.
And no, there wasn't adequate private funding, and no, Khan didn't spend 17m on it:
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... en-bridge/
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

The phrase, ‘spaffed it up the wall’ springs to mind.
message #2527204

Mahoney wrote:He spent £43m on not building it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698
Around £43m came from the public's pocket, TfL added.
And no, there wasn't adequate private funding, and no, Khan didn't spend 17m on it:
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... en-bridge/
Khan cancelled it. It was a wonderful project.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

message #2527204 wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:Blair force one was 30 mill .....
But it didn't get built?
That's what I said, do keep up! But the c unt still spent over £40m on it
All Joanna Lumley had to do was flutter her eyelids and flash some thigh and he was spaffing the cash all over the place
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

He should have spent it on PR staff like Kahn.
message #2527204

SaintK wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:Blair force one was 30 mill .....
But it didn't get built?
That's what I said, do keep up! But the c unt still spent over £40m on it
All Joanna Lumley had to do was flutter her eyelids and flash some thigh and he was spaffing the cash all over the place
It would have been built if Khan hadn't cancelled it. It was a wonderful idea spoilt by dogmatic luddites.