The *OFFICIAL* Pie thread.

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

The *OFFICIAL* Pie thread.

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I love meat pies. Last time I was home I did a tour of the local bakeries swimming in the goodness. It's the food from home I miss most of all (followed by Vegemite and Smiths Salt & Vinegar chips). There's been a few posts on meat pies recently, the British claiming cultural ownership and the Kiwis claiming it's thier thing (laugh out loud). I can't remember which thread they were in or I would have replied there, but we probably need a good meat pie thread anyway.

I found this BBC article both interesting and heart-warming (the story of the Cambodian pie makers):

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2020032 ... -australia

I'd really love to start making my own meat pies. Does anyone have experience? Do I need an actual pie shaped baking tray, and if yes, where can I buy a good one online? Any other tips also appreciated.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith

Re: The Official Pie thread. (and why the meat pie defines A

Post by Keith »

Pies are English, end of. The best pies can be found in Doncaster, South Yorkshire https://www.toppingspies.co.uk/
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Bought pies are so variable. Every bakery is different. Its hard to find a really good one. Some are really good, most are shit. And British pies are crap, apart from their pork pies which are eaten cold anyway.

If you want to build your own, the filling is the key. Flaky puff pastry. Shape not so much, but you'll need those shaped tins if that's what you want. Use proper pie tins, not the foil ones you sometimes see.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Meat and potato pie, layer bolied mashed onions in the bottom of a pie dish, then a deep mixture of stewed skirt beef and boiled waxy pots, cover with a short crust pastry and bake. Serve with the stew gravy.

Or steak, ale and kidney pie with suet crust.

Need to do some essential shopping tomorrow.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Aussie pies are shite

Out of bought ones, I like Pieminister ones
Mog The Almighty

I just bought these ones now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Looking forwards to this!
Mog The Almighty

Keith wrote:Pies are English, end of. The best pies can be found in Doncaster, South Yorkshire https://www.toppingspies.co.uk/
Originally, yes. Like the Ashes. But we took them, improved them, and made them our own.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

A 3000 calorie cook-in-the-tin Fray Bentos surely has to be the height of hedonism?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Keith wrote:Pies are English, end of. The best pies can be found in Doncaster, South Yorkshire https://www.toppingspies.co.uk/
Originally, yes. Like the Ashes. But we took them, improved them, and made them our own.
GTFO
Keith

Post by Keith »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:A 3000 calorie cook-in-the-tin Fray Bentos surely has to be the height of hedonism?
x(
Mog The Almighty

backrow wrote:Aussie pies are shite

There are some pretty dodgy ones being sold in cellophane wrappers in service stations for sure. But the ones you get from a proper bakery are usually awesome. You can even get surprisingly delicious ones frozen at the supermarket.

Tomato & Onion, Steak & Kidney and Pepper Steak are all incredibly good.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Keith wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:A 3000 calorie cook-in-the-tin Fray Bentos surely has to be the height of hedonism?
x(
Admit it, you know you would.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I love a good creampie.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uncouth as it gets
Keith

Post by Keith »

Floppykid wrote:I love a good creampie.
I'll remind your boyfriend
Keith

Post by Keith »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Keith wrote:
x(
I have, I'll admit. I'm not proud though
Mog The Almighty

obelixtim wrote:Bought pies are so variable. Every bakery is different. Its hard to find a really good one. Some are really good, most are shit. And British pies are crap, apart from their pork pies which are eaten cold anyway.

If you want to build your own, the filling is the key. Flaky puff pastry. Shape not so much, but you'll need those shaped tins if that's what you want. Use proper pie tins, not the foil ones you sometimes see.
My English mate bought back some pork pies from Manchester, I'd never had one before, and I was surprised he said to eat them cold.

But god damn they were good. English food is extremely under-rated imo.

I also had the best sausage roll I've ever had in the Borough markets of London. They turned that humble little snack into a proper boutique delicacy.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Keith wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Keith wrote:
x(
Hmm, much like Floppy's 'sloppy seconds' half-reference, yes indeed :smug:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mog The Almighty wrote:

There are some pretty dodgy ones being sold in cellophane wrappers in service stations for sure. But the ones you get from a proper bakery are usually awesome. You can even get surprisingly delicious ones frozen at the supermarket.

See that's the problem, you want even those pies to be good if you're claiming you have the best pies. Instead, you need to take out a second mortgage to be able to afford a good pie in Oz.

Anyway, didn't we just do this shitfight a month or so ago?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Banoffee Pie is nice.
Mog The Almighty

UncleFB wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

See that's the problem, you want even those pies to be good if you're claiming you have the best pies. Instead, you need to take out a second mortgage to be able to afford a good pie in Oz.

I'm not saying they're "the best". I haven't sampled enough country's offerings to know that. The English pies I had were amazing and the small NZ pie company in Stockholm does excellent pies.

I'm just saying they've become more entwined with the Australian culture and identity than anywhere else. Except possibly the English pork pie, but that's a different thing to the hot meat pie with tomato sauce at the footy match that is so Australian.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Keith wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Keith wrote:
x(
Hmm, much like Floppy's 'sloppy seconds' half-reference, yes indeed :smug:
Floppy’s Sloppy Seconds sound like a folk-tinged cover band from Taunton
Mog The Almighty

P.S. I tried my hand at the Kiwi bacon & egg pie recently after having read about it on this forum (never heard about it before that). It was extremely delicious and interesting and was so good with some chilli sauce, but I will say that whichever Kiwi recommended I didn't cook the bacon first is out of their mind. The first one I did, I fried the bacon first, the second I put it in raw. The first one was heads-and-shoulders better. You could barely even taste the bacon in the second one. I used whole eggs too which made them look really cool when you cut a slice out.

You guys can own that one, and it's a good one. But the classic hot meat pie with sauce is as Aussie as Pavlova.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Gavin Duffy wrote:Image
Nice.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Pies can be both a Kiwi and Aussie thing, as well as belong to the place it originated from.

Much like rugby and fish an chips are very definitely kiwi things even though they didn't originate there and are just as big part of the cultures of a number of other countries.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

I'm not saying they're "the best". I haven't sampled enough country's offerings to know that. The English pies I had were amazing and the small NZ pie company in Stockholm does excellent pies.

I'm just saying they've become more entwined with the Australian culture and identity than anywhere else. Except possibly the English pork pie, but that's a different thing to the hot meat pie with tomato sauce at the footy match that is so Australian.
Rubbish, that's just cos you're Australian, so you think that ... you obviously haven't lived in NZ's to experience the pie culture there. They're as (or more) entwined in the culture as in Oz.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

But northern england still trumps them both. Pies are a niche in Ireland, not unknown by any means but certainly not culture defining.
Mog The Almighty

UncleFB wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Rubbish, that's just cos you're Australian, so you think that ... you obviously haven't lived in NZ's to experience the pie culture there. They're as (or more) entwined in the culture as in Oz.
Bacon and Egg pies, sure. You own that one.

The meat pies at the footy with the sauce on top, you just got that from us, like Pavlova. Accept reality.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Winning the title of the best meat pie in Australia must be a bit like winning the Aussie Super Rugby conference.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

deadduck wrote:Winning the title of the best meat pie in Australia must be a bit like winning the Aussie Super Rugby conference.
I've had good pies here, like I've had good fish and chips ... I've had to take out a second job to afford them both but I've definitely had them.

Then when I get back home to NZ I have an equally good pie at the local Cambodian owned (ex Chinese owned and before that ex European NZer owned) bakery.

I wonder how many meat pies Mog has had in NZ?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

There are some pretty dodgy ones being sold in cellophane wrappers in service stations for sure.
AKA botulism packs/maggot packs.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

Travelling up from Hamilton to Auckland back in the '80s, we could never say we've arrived in Auckland until we (kids) saw the Georgie's Pies off Great South Road in Manukau. Pokeno for ice creams and Georgie's Pies for powhiri.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

Heatherbrae Pies now has 2 stores! Makes my trips to Canberra much more fun.

Fredo's was suffering a bit due to the new Bypass. Hopefully, they're doing ok.

In NZ, the best pie I had was a Lamb and Kumera one in Kerikeri.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm just going to drop this in here from the Pat Lamb thread.

The Burleigh pork belly pie, followed by the Fairly version.

And the Fairly bakehouse version

Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Yes. Pie Face.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Great thread MOG its got the Kiwis off their chairs claiming a contest that can't be won.

Anyway I'm a pasty man.