The *OFFICIAL* Pie thread.

All things Rugby
Slim 293

Re: The Official Pie thread. (and why the meat pie defines A

Post by Slim 293 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Slim 293 wrote:That was too easy Mog...

Give it a few days, and start a thread about South Australian sauv blanc.
Never had it. Wouldn't bother as Aussie wine all tastes like either Ribena or Miami Wine Cooler.

Bullseye!
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

RuggaBugga wrote:Isn't the required meat content for a pie much lower in Aus than in NZ?

Anyway we need recommendations here to give us light at the end of the Covid tunnel. A good Pie Crawl would do the trick.

In Wellington the New World On Willis Street actually does really nice pies. Also Trisha's pies on Cambridge Terrace.
Copenhagen bakery in Christchurch do excellent pies. They aren't cheap though.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Slim 293 wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Never had it. Wouldn't bother as Aussie wine all tastes like either Ribena or Miami Wine Cooler.

Bullseye!

Why thank you, my opinions are often uncannily accurate.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Caley_Red wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:Australia has the Pieface chain which make disgusting pies (pastry particularly) and its still going. Perhaps Mog is right the pie defines Australia - its just not the best pies.
Yeah they're shit though I still buy one if I come across them and wanting a pie. One time they were putting mashed peas on top. I asked the girl wth did she put the peas on top? She gave me a free pie though I would've preferred a blowjob.
S*it they may be but they're open after midnight in Sydney which means they're amongst the premier cuisine available after pubs.

Australian pies are decent (special mention for Bourke St Bakery steak and red wine) but the sausage rolls are an abomination, much like sausages themselves.

Haven't been to NZ yet but I have several pie shops saved on Google Maps taken from various threads on here.
That's the wrong way to think about in NZ, you could find a great pie at the local bakery and/or dairy (convenience store), supermarket, even petrol stations etc - if you go looking for pie shops only you're doing yourself a disservice.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiap wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
grievous wrote:Great thread MOG its got the Kiwis off their chairs claiming a contest that can't be won.

Anyway I'm a pasty man.
You win. The pasties that is, no one but the Cornish want to win that competition.
I don't mind pasties.

... But where did the Cornish go to in oz? That's right, South Australia.

I'm sure good pasties can be found there, but for pies? Well, they serve up that abomination known as the "pie floater"

To be fair, this also looks like a pie floater:
Bindi wrote:King of pies:

A pie floater, now you're talking!! Better drunk food than a kebab or pizza. A lot of great pies got killed by four n twenty style mass production and homogenisation. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 great pies that aren't made any more (in Adelaide). Gibbs, Cowleys, DeSouza and Mayfair. Balfours aren't what they were either.
A proper pie floater has the pie upside down, soup made from Blue boiling peas, Rosella Tomato sauce injected into the pie, a little vinegar in the soup sprinkle with pepper and go for it.
Villis would make the best packaged pies, I always get one at the Villis 24hr takeaway at Richmond from airport to my families' place.
However best pasties and pies would be Perryman's in Nth Adelaide.
https://www.perrymansbakery.com.au

In Sydney there is always Harry's Cafe de Wheels, world famous.
They do a pie floater type with a drier mushy peas and mash on top
https://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I had a pie floater in a pub in Adelaide that also had a good selection of craft beer.

I enjoyed the experience, but I wouldn't rush to have another one.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Nieghorn wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
naki wrote:I baked a steak pie for the family yesterday. It took hours and I really enjoyed it, flicking flour at the kids and listening to Physical Graffiti in its entirety.

It tasted like absolute shit. Never again. Somebody lift this house arrest, please :((
:lol:

Know where you went wrong? I probably botched a good half dozen pie crusts before I got the hang.

Mog, you doing your own crust? Proper art that is. Keeping everything cool and not mixing too much keeps things separate = flakier.
I was planning on just buying frozen puff pastry, if that's what you mean...

Not too difficult ... first person in the review has some good tips for getting the best out of it (over-working can make it tough and chewy). https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24094 ... pie-crust/

It might just be a North American thing (our pies suck compared to even an NZ petrol station!), but our frozen pie shells tend to be thin. I can't think that I've ever seen one ready-made that's thick and flaky like a proper baker makes.
Thanks for the link!! :)
Mog The Almighty

Slim 293 wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Bullseye!
:lol: If there's one thing Aussies do consistently well it's Pinot Noir and Pavolova. They may or may not have us on the pies, but nobody can deny us those.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Mog The Almighty wrote: :lol: If there's one thing Aussies do consistently well it's Pinot Noir and Pavolova.

No one expects the Aussie inquisition.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

grievous wrote:Great thread MOG its got the Kiwis off their chairs claiming a contest that can't be won.

If I had a dog I wouldn't even feed it a pie from Harry's let alone myself. What kind of monster are you?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mash and mushy peas with a pie? x(
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Tussock wrote:
bimboman wrote:
and a boiled pastry that isn't flaky.

Eh?
Think it's a shortcrust pastry (not a baker so not familiar with the terms) but probably similar to the english pork pie crust.

The pasty in a pork pie is still baked, it’s made with lard and Hot water but not “boiled”. Shortcrust is heavy fat (shortening) and dry not folded.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

sorCrer wrote:Mash and mushy peas with a pie? x(

Mash, stewed ells and Liquor is better.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

bimboman wrote:

Mash, stewed ells and Liquor is better.
The pie shop I used to go to in Deptford owed last year.

Great value as a student
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Yeah, apparently it's a thing but it adds nothing IMO
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Pie Face had its place. I was desperately in need of a savoury snack in between the end of a normal workday and a webinar I had to run the other month and there it was, in all its modesty on Exhibition St. As it was the end of the day I got a full 10% off my selection, too.

It was tasty, without blowing my mind. 7/10 WDB.

(Blow. On pie).

Gone now.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Kahu wrote:

If I had a dog I wouldn't even feed it a pie from Harry's let alone myself. What kind of monster are you?
You Kiwis are trying too hard, its a fvcking pie. Comfort food.
Mog The Almighty

jdogscoop wrote:Pie Face had its place. I was desperately in need of a savoury snack in between the end of a normal workday and a webinar I had to run the other month and there it was, in all its modesty on Exhibition St. As it was the end of the day I got a full 10% off my selection, too.

(Blow. On pie).

Gone now.
Yeah I always thought pie face were alright without being mind-blowing. They were much better than a servo-pie but not as good as a proper boutique bakery pie. But still a totally serviceable pie.

There was a little bakery in Cardiff, Newcastle (NSW, Australia) that won best pie in NSW a few years in a row, they made a killer tomato & onion pie. The best.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

bimboman wrote:
Tussock wrote:
bimboman wrote:
and a boiled pastry that isn't flaky.

Eh?
Think it's a shortcrust pastry (not a baker so not familiar with the terms) but probably similar to the english pork pie crust.

The pasty in a pork pie is still baked, it’s made with lard and Hot water but not “boiled”. Shortcrust is heavy fat (shortening) and dry not folded.
Suppose it will be something like the following.

http://goodoldrecipes.com/boiled-pastry/
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:Pie Face had its place. I was desperately in need of a savoury snack in between the end of a normal workday and a webinar I had to run the other month and there it was, in all its modesty on Exhibition St. As it was the end of the day I got a full 10% off my selection, too.

(Blow. On pie).

Gone now.
Yeah I always thought pie face were alright without being mind-blowing. They were much better than a servo-pie but not as good as a proper boutique bakery pie. But still a totally serviceable pie.

There was a little bakery in Cardiff, Newcastle (NSW, Australia) that won best pie in NSW a few years in a row, they made a killer tomato & onion pie. The best.

Is that the one on the right as you come from Belmont?

If so, yes it's great.

I spent 4 months driving around the entire Hunter region for work and sampled most of the bakeries there!

:nod:
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Near to Sydney, the best pie shops are:

Long Reef Pies
Pie in the Sky Robertson
Heatherbrae pies (Newcastle and Bundanoon services)
Annandale - most filled pie I've had anywhere
You can add the Coniston Bakery to that in Wollongong. They are fantastic!
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

Yes. Pie Face.
I'm not sure Pie Face is cheap and nasty enough to be in the same league as Georgie Pie. (Shudders)
Georgie Pie was owned by Progressive Enterprises (Countdown) the NZ subsidiary or Woolworth's Australia. They no doubt made a tidy profit selling it to McDonald's.

Agree with the people saying both Australia and NZ have a real pie cultures and produce great versions. In my experience Australia have very good sauce recipes but their beef meat is not as good as NZ's. Agree with UB about price. Maybe you need to be a local to know where to look but last time I was in Aussie the price saw pies moving from being a cheap lunch to an expensive treat. As a kiwi I can still find some quality at good prices but it is also going the same way with a lot more artisan style ones . Probably the result of the same kind of attitude that has drove the evolution of coffee and craft beer in the 80/90s and 2000s respectively.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Man In Black wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Man In Black wrote:Not to get too parochial but NZ pies are just so far and away better than Australian it’s not even funny. It’s kinda like the All Blacks v Wallabies. The Wallabies might be better than the English but they’re always in the ABs shadow.

Now sausage rolls in the other hand... the best one I ever ate was at the Bourke St bakery in Sydney.
I used to walk past their every day but never tried one of their sausage rolls and last had a pie there in 2007 when on holiday and I was introduced to lining up for food and thought WTF.

Had the odd coffee and bought a few breads there for staff morning teas though.
Lining up for food is very common in London. Even after 10 years here I still find it strange. Lining up for brunch!
Ten years in London? Jeeeeeesus. You must be a very patient man (in black).
I thought I was out. My bags were nearly packed for a move to LA. But then the missus got offered a new job so it looks like I’ll be here a while yet!
Thinly-veiled "I have a girlfriend" post.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

grievous wrote:
Kahu wrote:

Decent pies are too expensive in Oz to give anyone comfort, and Pie Face only gives comfort to the toilet paper companies.

:D
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

So what is the price of a decent pie in Oz?
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Can someone please post a photo and recipe for a tomato and onion pie. All that I can find on the internet are more like tarts or baked in a tray with pastry on top.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Keith wrote:Pies are English, end of. The best pies can be found in Doncaster, South Yorkshire https://www.toppingspies.co.uk/
Originally, yes. Like the Ashes. But we took them, improved them, and made them our own.

Of course you knicked them

jambanja

Post by jambanja »

grievous wrote:
Kahu wrote:

You see it’s this sort of attitude that will never see you at the top of the pie chain, it’s the same attitude endemic in your rugby, how do ever hope to compete
Mog The Almighty

Chilli wrote:Can someone please post a photo and recipe for a tomato and onion pie. All that I can find on the internet are more like tarts or baked in a tray with pastry on top.
The ones I've had are like plain meat pies with some slices of tomato and onion on top, under the lid. But it makes a big difference to the taste.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Chilli wrote:Can someone please post a photo and recipe for a tomato and onion pie. All that I can find on the internet are more like tarts or baked in a tray with pastry on top.
The ones I've had are like plain meat pies with some slices of tomato and onion on top, under the lid. But it makes a big difference to the taste.
Does it make them taste of tomato and onion?
Mog The Almighty

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Near to Sydney, the best pie shops are:

Long Reef Pies
Pie in the Sky Robertson
Heatherbrae pies (Newcastle and Bundanoon services)
Annandale - most filled pie I've had anywhere
Also, the one I got the photo in the OP. They make some weird pies all right. I had to Emu pie but I wish I got the crocodile pie. The Emu pie was indistinguishable from a plain meat pie, but it was still good. Although judging by their signs in the OP, like many small Australian business owners, they don't seem to know what inverted commas are for. :lol:

http://fredopies.com.au/
Mog The Almighty

frillage wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Does it make them taste of tomato and onion?
Just a hint, yeah. I shouldn't say, "a big difference". A small but noticeable difference.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
:thumbup:
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Bindi wrote:King of pies:

Don't get it with Yatala Pie shop, it about 10 minutes down the road, I pass it coming home from work most days, but just don't bother.
They are passable pies, can probably get as good if not better at most bakeries, I truly believe they get a lot of business because of what they are, a pie shop that sells pies with chips etc, and a lot of their clientele can be seen smothering them in tomato sauce FFS, so says it all!!
VBall

Post by VBall »

The infamous Scotch Pie and by god there are some truly awful versions out there. The ones full of grease that when eaten by an experienced pie eater, requires a small bite, a rotation of the wrist to point the open end downward and a flick of the wrist to cast the grease away ... usually over the person standing in front of you at the game. But there are also good ones.

Minced lamb (more often beef now), lots of pepper, some spices, encased in a water crusty pastry (had to Wiki that). The pastry should be nice crispy, not soggy and floppy as seen in the poor variety above. Can be eaten hot or cold. Can be eaten on their own or with boiled spuds or chips, peas or beans, extra gravy or sans. It is a truly versitile pie.

Last edited by VBall on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Great story here, pie based. Very NT.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/ ... ah/9843756

Paddy used to drink here.
https://larrimahwaysideinn.wordpress.com
I was driving through last year and stopped and had a drink, its an interesting pub. Spoke to the cook there and asked him what he thought happened to Paddy. He said, "Probably ended up in one of Frans's pies!"
And Id believe it.
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Fergbaker in Queenstown was pretty good but I'm not going to buy into the who perfected the pie.
Next thing somebody will tell us that Bob Hawke invented it just before he invented skulling beer in Oxford two days before he founded the university.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Obviously I haven't bothered to read the thread before commenting, but if Yatala Pies haven't been mentioned here in glowing terms then the thread is a bust.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

grievous wrote:Great story here, pie based. Very NT.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/ ... ah/9843756

Paddy used to drink here.
https://larrimahwaysideinn.wordpress.com
I was driving through last year and stopped and had a drink, its an interesting pub.
Spoke to the cook there and asked him what he thought happened to Paddy. He said, "Probably ended up in one of Frans's pies!"
And Id believe it.
Not so much a pub as a "fair dinkum outback pub experience". Hmm.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

I miss my apprenticeship days of the lunchtime Godfrey's greasy. World famous in Dunedin.

Mutton pies with a special casing that didn't get soggy from the hot liquid fat.
Used to take a bite, then pour in loads of Worcestershire sauce, only Lea & Perrins, swirl it around and then tip out all the grease. Usually about half a cupful.
Then simply top it up with sauce and enjoy.