The *OFFICIAL* Pie thread.

All things Rugby
J Man

Re: The Official Pie thread. (and why the meat pie defines A

Post by J Man »

Don't post a pie thread when all the bakeries are closed :x :x :x

I'm craving KFC chips and pies. This lockdown is shit.
naki

Post by naki »

I baked a steak pie for the family yesterday. It took hours and I really enjoyed it, flicking flour at the kids and listening to Physical Graffiti in its entirety.

It tasted like absolute shit. Never again. Somebody lift this house arrest, please :((
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Zakar wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

Yes. Pie Face.
I'm not sure Pie Face is cheap and nasty enough to be in the same league as Georgie Pie. (Shudders)
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

I make my own pork pies from time to time. It's really not that difficult and you have a better idea of the quality of the meat that went in.

A quick look at the ingredients confirms they are not part of any calorie controlled diet. :)

naki

Post by naki »

dinsdale wrote:I make my own pork pies from time to time. It's really not that difficult and you have a better idea of the quality of the meat that went in.

A quick look at the ingredients confirms they are not part of any calorie controlled diet. :)

A fat + carbs explosion to save the planet with
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

naki wrote:I baked a steak pie for the family yesterday. It took hours and I really enjoyed it, flicking flour at the kids and listening to Physical Graffiti in its entirety.

It tasted like absolute shit. Never again. Somebody lift this house arrest, please :((
Having anticipated such cravings, I bought a dozen steak/cheese/mushroom and mince pies from the local bakery the day before the lockdown. Now safe in the freezer. Lunch sorted on a few days of the lockdown.

The bakery guy was rapt.
naki

Post by naki »

obelixtim wrote:
naki wrote:I baked a steak pie for the family yesterday. It took hours and I really enjoyed it, flicking flour at the kids and listening to Physical Graffiti in its entirety.

Having anticipated such cravings, I bought a dozen steak/cheese/mushroom and mince pies from the local bakery the day before the lockdown. Now safe in the freezer. Lunch sorted on a few days of the lockdown.

The bakery guy was rapt.
I hadn’t actually had a pie in months and was really looking forward to it :((

We stockpiled frozen pizzas instead. I don’t know why
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

grievous wrote: I'm a pasty man.
Refreshing honesty :thumbup: but we’ll all be pasty men after after a few weeks indoors.

Anyway, in NZ the Main Street Bakery in Oxford and the Mapua Village Bakery do very good pies if you are ever passing through.
Last edited by JB1981 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:Answer me this, MOG - has Australia had a national fast food chain devoted to meat pies?

Yes. Pie Face.
I'm not sure Pie Face is cheap and nasty enough to be in the same league as Georgie Pie. (Shudders)
Jesters <ahem>, they're not so great

... but they have exported their Oz chain to NZ.

One-owner bakeries tend to be a better bet for a proper pie
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

kiap wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. Pie Face.
Jesters <ahem>, they're not so great

... but they have exported their Oz chain to NZ.

One-owner bakeries tend to be a better bet for a proper pie
Oh yeah, I didn't bring up Georgie Pie cause they made nice pies. They're the pie equivalent of a Macca's cheeseburger.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

grievous wrote:Great thread MOG its got the Kiwis off their chairs claiming a contest that can't be won.

Anyway I'm a pasty man.
You win. The pasties that is, no one but the Cornish want to win that competition.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. Pie Face.
I had a pie face once, it was worse than an Irvine’s pie from a BP that was bought at 8pm that had been sitting since midday.
gurudoright

Post by gurudoright »

The pies in England are rubbish. Pukka Pies ffs. I best pie I’ve ever had was one in Picton, New Zealand.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

UncleFB wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. Pie Face.
I had a pie face once, it was worse than an Irvine’s pie from a BP that was bought at 8pm that had been sitting since midday.
And still better than a Georgie pie I suspect.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

King of pies:

kiap

Post by kiap »

UncleFB wrote:
grievous wrote:Great thread MOG its got the Kiwis off their chairs claiming a contest that can't be won.

Anyway I'm a pasty man.
You win. The pasties that is, no one but the Cornish want to win that competition.
I don't mind pasties.

... But where did the Cornish go to in oz? That's right, South Australia.

I'm sure good pasties can be found there, but for pies? Well, they serve up that abomination known as the "pie floater"

jambanja

Post by jambanja »

I'm having chicken pie tonight, from leftover chicken from last nights roast
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Fat Old Git wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. Pie Face.
No way. But then again I have nostalgic memories of Georgie Pie ... $5 gets you a steak and cheese pie, an apple pie, chips, sundae and a drink, or you could go across the road and get a $5 kfc 1/4 pack, 2 pieces of chicken, chips, 2 rolls, potato and gravy and a drink.

Glory days.

But pie face was really bad regardless.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Fat Old Git wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. Pie Face.
No way. But then again I have nostalgic memories of Georgie Pie ... $5 gets you a steak and cheese pie, an apple pie, chips, sundae and a drink, or you could go across the road and get a $5 kfc 1/4 pack, 2 pieces of chicken, chips, 2 rolls, potato and gravy and a drink.

Glory days.

But pie face was really bad regardless.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

UncleFB wrote:I have nostalgic memories of Georgie Pie ... $5 gets you a steak and cheese pie, an apple pie, chips, sundae and a drink,
During the late 90's renaissance, my brother used to feed his dog a GP steak pie (at 75 cents) for dinner as it was literally cheaper than dog food.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Pie Thief in Footscray is wonderful...

https://piethief.com.au/products

Had the Big Mac pie before they had to shut last week... so very good.

They were supposed to sell Mac and cheese pies at the Grand Prix, and when that fell over they were selling frozen six packs to take home. :thumbup:
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

:lol:

Know where you went wrong? I probably botched a good half dozen pie crusts before I got the hang.

Mog, you doing your own crust? Proper art that is. Keeping everything cool and not mixing too much keeps things separate = flakier.

While mine taste good now, they still look rough. Edges wonky, some parts thicker than others, uneven lattice, even bits where you can tell I grafted a piece on to shore up the edge. Presentation is a skill I won’t bother with. :)
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

If I ever felt constipated nothing quite cleaned the pipes like a Georgie Pie steak and cheese from McDonalds
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Fat Old Git wrote:I'm just going to drop this in here from the Pat Lamb thread.

The Burleigh pork belly pie, followed by the Fairly version.

And the Fairly bakehouse version

I approve of this post
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I can finally weigh in on a thread where I have some degree of expertise.

I can safely say the NZ pie is generally of superior quality to the Australian pie. I believe I am safe in making this statement due to my exhaustive testing/sampling.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Sure it is the taste, but it also brings back the nostalgia of it. The BBC article invokes great childhood memories. We were a poor family (How poor?), I usually had to make my own sandwiches for school. Dad was frugal, but on the odd occasion when we were given money to buy a school lunch, I often remember the pride of being able to write on the brown paper bag. my order like the other lucky children then putting it in the wire basket at the front of the class.

Then when you took it out of the bag and sat eating with the other children, everything was right in the world.

The pasties and sausage rolls were good to. Everything tasted better when you weren't being killed by a virus. Good times.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

The Optimist wrote:Sure it is the taste, but it also brings back the nostalgia of it. The BBC article invokes great childhood memories. We were a poor family (How poor?), I usually had to make my own sandwiches for school. Dad was frugal, but on the odd occasion when we were given money to buy a school lunch, I often remember the pride of being able to write on the brown paper bag. my order like the other lucky children then putting it in the wire basket at the front of the class.

Then when you took it out of the bag and sat eating with the other children, everything was right in the world.

The pasties and sausage rolls were good to. Everything tasted better when you weren't being killed by a virus. Good times.
I always used to order the cheese triangles when order my lunch (same paper bag I assume with money sealed inside by the parents) which was odd because we always had blocks of cheese at home and I never ate it.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

The Optimist wrote:Sure it is the taste, but it also brings back the nostalgia of it. The BBC article invokes great childhood memories. We were a poor family (How poor?), I usually had to make my own sandwiches for school. Dad was frugal, but on the odd occasion when we were given money to buy a school lunch, I often remember the pride of being able to write on the brown paper bag. my order like the other lucky children then putting it in the wire basket at the front of the class.

Paper bag? You were lucky t'ave paper bag. In our day we 'ad to use pair of grandads old underpants to wrap our piece of mouldy bread, if we were lucky enough t'ave mouldy bread...And t'underpants 'adn't ever been washed, we couldn't afford water.

As for pies, we 'ad flat roadkill 'edge'og, stuff with cowpat. If we could get cowpat...

It was tough in our day...
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

I’m pretty happy with proper bakery pies here in Straya. Some are things of utter beauty altho’ others are not much, if at all, better than factory-produced ones.

That said, none of the most memorable (in a good way) pies I’ve devoured have been yer actual beef pies. My current top four are:
Scallop pie (Ross, in Tassie)
Game pie (food festival in York)
Venison pie (Chch.)
Smoked mackerel pie (a farken marvel, bought from a Kiwi woman in Greenwich, UK).
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

MungoMan wrote: Scallop pie
That Pie Thief joint I mentioned did one of these as a special the week before they were supposed to close, but I didn't get to try it out...

The guy making them is a proper chef whose worked at some top restaurants, so everything is quality.

There seems to be a growing trend of inner city pie joints popping up recently...

The old Rockwell & Sons restaurant in Collingwood also turned into a bakery/pie shop this year.

The best pies are generally only found on road trips - Kangaroo Valley, Braidwood, Holbrook...
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Clogs wrote:I can finally weigh in on a thread where I have some degree of expertise.

I can safely say the NZ pie is generally of superior quality to the Australian pie. I believe I am safe in making this statement due to my exhaustive testing/sampling.
I can agree with this statement. I’ve eaten boutique pies in QLD, NSW and VIC and not had one yet that compares with decent bakery NZ pies. I’d ask how many Australian posters have actually tried a NZ Bakery pie?
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Nieghorn wrote:

Know where you went wrong? I probably botched a good half dozen pie crusts before I got the hang.

Mog, you doing your own crust? Proper art that is. Keeping everything cool and not mixing too much keeps things separate = flakier.

While mine taste good now, they still look rough. Edges wonky, some parts thicker than others, uneven lattice, even bits where you can tell I grafted a piece on to shore up the edge. Presentation is a skill I won’t bother with. :)
I was planning on just buying frozen puff pastry, if that's what you mean...
Keith

Post by Keith »

gurudoright wrote:The pies in England are rubbish. Pukka Pies ffs. I best pie I’ve ever had was one in Picton, New Zealand.
So you were too tight to buy a decent pie? Ok, we get that.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

I was planning on just buying frozen puff pastry, if that's what you mean...
fudge making puff ( though at moment possibly have the time to do it). Rough puff is pretty good and easier to make.
Just Make sure all butter puff pastry, not sure on Sweden, but here can get in fridge section and slightly better than the frozen.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

That's lovely. :thumbup: I didn't grow up poor, although not particularly rich either despite the old man being a doctor, maybe upper middle class.

In any case, it was very rare indeed that we got to have a tuck-shop lunch, so I can relate to some extent, to that feeling of it being "special" to be able to get a pie like the other cool kids.

I'd almost completely forgot about writing your name on the bag and shit until I read that article. In fact even now I only barely recall. It's like someone else's memories...
grievous

Post by grievous »

UncleFB wrote:

Anyway I'm a pasty man.
Cornish is one type, not my favourite.
They are big in Sth Australia, cant get them on the easy coast, Philistines.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

ChipSpike wrote:Meat and potato pie, layer bolied mashed onions in the bottom of a pie dish, then a deep mixture of stewed skirt beef and boiled waxy pots, cover with a short crust pastry and bake. Serve with the stew gravy.

Or steak, ale and kidney pie with suet crust.

Need to do some essential shopping tomorrow.

That could be tasty but.....

Stew with a bit of pastry stuck on top, IS NOT A FKIN' PIE

Potato on top, OK but if you use pastry it goes all the way around.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

In fairness a good cornish pasty is a think of beauty. I tried making a few last month, being the greedy bastard that I am I decided that the ingredient quantities from the recipe instructions were too stingy so elected to triple them which resulted in two enormous pasties each the size of a rugby ball. Proper man verses food size, and yes, I ate it all much to the disgust of my wife.
frillage

Post by frillage »

MrJonno wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:Meat and potato pie, layer bolied mashed onions in the bottom of a pie dish, then a deep mixture of stewed skirt beef and boiled waxy pots, cover with a short crust pastry and bake. Serve with the stew gravy.

Or steak, ale and kidney pie with suet crust.

Need to do some essential shopping tomorrow.

That could be tasty but.....

Stew with a bit of pastry stuck on top, IS NOT A FKIN' PIE

Potato on top, OK but if you use pastry it goes all the way around.
Mash on top, if using thinly sliced put them all round like pastry. Will help thicken sauce (so don’t need flour) and will be best tasting tattles cooking in the sauce.
Crispy on top, soft on bottom.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

danny_fitz wrote:In fairness a good cornish pasty is a think of beauty. I tried making a few last month, being the greedy bastard that I am I decided that the ingredient quantities from the recipe instructions were too stingy so elected to triple them which resulted in two enormous pasties each the size of a rugby ball. Proper man verses food size, and yes, I ate it all much to the disgust of my wife.

Been there, done that and I feel your pain, it usually manifests as stomach cramps. I've also done a sausage roll that ended up looking like beef wellington gone wrong (or possibly gone right!).