53%
Sexton
47%

Total votes: 51

terryfinch

Farrell or Sexton

Post by terryfinch »

https://rugbylad.ie/brian-odriscoll-ans ... n-farrell/

Both great players but who would you pick?
blindcider

Re: Farrell or Sexton

Post by blindcider »

terryfinch wrote:https://rugbylad.ie/brian-odriscoll-ans ... n-farrell/

in 2020 you pick George Ford
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Is there an option for someone who isn't a cunt?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I wonder if BOD is still picking the splinters out of his arse after that interview.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

The one that doesn’t break.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Sefton wrote:The one that doesn’t break.
His body or the line?
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

The opening sentence.
There’s absolutely no doubt about it – Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell are two of the very best number 10s in the game today, possibly in history.
:lol: :lol:
naki

Post by naki »

Farrell falls apart in the biggest games. RWC final. 2017 Lions decider. No BMT.
naki

Post by naki »

Sefton wrote:The opening sentence.
There’s absolutely no doubt about it – Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell are two of the very best number 10s in the game today, possibly in history.
You're right Sef, they should have read my thread.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Sexton at his peak was better. Now though Farrell for sure
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

blindcider wrote:
terryfinch wrote:https://rugbylad.ie/brian-odriscoll-ans ... n-farrell/

in 2020 you pick George Ford
/thread.

Sexton's a busted flush now, but, despite his injury-feigning and whining/tantrums, I'd take him in a binary choice as his peak performances have been better than Farrell's.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Sefton wrote:The opening sentence.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Both great when their packs are on top, getting front foot ball and everything is going rosey.
Both are equally capable of completely shitting the bed when the above conditions are not present.

The same could be said of Billy Burns at Ulster, or wee Julie playing 10 for Taranaki U13 Girl’s C Team.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

They're both manufactured players, and both over-rated, imo.

World-class for determination and mental strength (especially Faz), but nothing special athletically or technically.

The true geniuses (like Dan Carter) tick every box.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Sexton at 10 every time, Farrell at 12 if you can't pick an actual 12.

Neither of them for best 10 in the world at the moment.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Vintage Sexton all day, Sexton of the last couple of years is like watching Tindall at the end of his career. Painful. Faz will always be a robot 7/10.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

When both are/were at their peak it's Sexton every day
You don't need to look past the Lions in 17, who got picked to play in their actual position in the test side?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

DragsterDriver wrote:Vintage Sexton all day, Sexton of the last couple of years is like watching Tindall at the end of his career. Painful. Faz will always be a robot 7/10.
I will say, if I wanted someone to show just how much you can achieve through hard work, I'd pick Farrell every time.

The guy has comparatively little natural talent (obviously he's got a lot more than most of us). Not the quickest, biggest etc not a ton of natural vision, but through hard work his improvement is clear, he's developed his techniques, forced himself to play better, and works as hard as anyone on the pitch. There's a reason coaches love him.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Jim Lahey wrote:Both great when their packs are on top, getting front foot ball and everything is going rosey.
Both are equally capable of completely shitting the bed when the above conditions are not present.

The same could be said of Billy Burns at Ulster, or wee Julie playing 10 for Taranaki U13 Girl’s C Team.
The true GOAT.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Raggs wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Vintage Sexton all day, Sexton of the last couple of years is like watching Tindall at the end of his career. Painful. Faz will always be a robot 7/10.
I will say, if I wanted someone to show just how much you can achieve through hard work, I'd pick Farrell every time.

The guy has comparatively little natural talent (obviously he's got a lot more than most of us). Not the quickest, biggest etc not a ton of natural vision, but through hard work his improvement is clear, he's developed his techniques, forced himself to play better, and works as hard as anyone on the pitch. There's a reason coaches love him.
It's also probably the reason he's such a robot - from the minute he was born he's basically had international standard coaches telling him what to do and it was so far and above what anyone else his age has had that it's stifled what thoughts of his own there may have been. Probably also why coaches love his chat so much, he's been listening to league and union internationals geeing him up for his whole life, the script is in his head. But ask him to spontaneously respond to what's happening in front of him and Fazbot breaks down, which strangely wasn't how his dad played the game.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

crash 669 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

It's also probably the reason he's such a robot - from the minute he was born he's basically had international standard coaches telling him what to do and it was so far and above what anyone else his age has had that it's stifled what thoughts of his own there may have been. Probably also why coaches love his chat so much, he's been listening to league and union internationals geeing him up for his whole life, the script is in his head. But ask him to spontaneously respond to what's happening in front of him and Fazbot breaks down, which strangely wasn't how his dad played the game.
Ford is anything but a robot and has been in the same situation, most the time with Faz.
New guy

Post by New guy »

iarmhiman wrote:Sexton at his peak was better. Now though Farrell for sure
Sexton at his peak was in a completely different league to Farrell.

It's like asking who was better, BOD or Mike Tindall.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:When both are/were at their peak it's Sexton every day
You don't need to look past the Lions in 17, who got picked to play in their actual position in the test side?
Is the answer 'both of them'?
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

Raggs wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Ford is anything but a robot and has been in the same situation, most the time with Faz.
Not even remotely the same situation - remember, his dad is Mike Ford.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

crash 669 wrote:It's also probably the reason he's such a robot - from the minute he was born he's basically had international standard coaches telling him what to do and it was so far and above what anyone else his age has had that it's stifled what thoughts of his own there may have been. Probably also why coaches love his chat so much, he's been listening to league and union internationals geeing him up for his whole life, the script is in his head. But ask him to spontaneously respond to what's happening in front of him and Fazbot breaks down, which strangely wasn't how his dad played the game.
Ford is anything but a robot and has been in the same situation, most the time with Faz.[/quote]

Not even remotely the same situation - remember, his dad is Mike Ford.[/quote]

International standard coach telling him what do to. Same as Faz. As far above and beyond as anyone else.
Listening to League and Union internationals.
They've been mates and playing together since they were 10.
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

It was a joke...
slick

Post by slick »

iarmhiman wrote:Sexton at his peak was better. Now though Farrell for sure
Yup.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Farrell for me. He is five years younger than Sexton but has already achieved at least as much, and has many years more ahead of him at the top level.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

any chance we see Finn Russell at 10 for the Lions?
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Monk Zombie wrote:any chance we see Finn Russell at 10 for the Lions?
Sure, but I don't expect COVID-19 will be that lethal to rugby players tbh
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

I doubt it. People need to learn how Russell plays, and get and idea of what he's going to do. Lions is a good fit for Gatlandball, not baabaas.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

If ever a thread needed a Gavin Henson option :?
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

I’d take a in his prime Sexton. Today I’d take Farrell. He’s younger and more robust for one. Sexton struggling to stay injury free these days.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’d prefer Adam Hastings.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

JM2K6 wrote:
Sure, but I don't expect COVID-19 will be that lethal to rugby players tbh
No. In a word. Warren Gatland.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Sexton used to be a world class 10.
Farrell has never been.

Prime Sexton all day, no contest.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

crash 669 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Has he really. Until he joined Wigan St Pats rugby league team he was probably throwing the ball around with his dad who was still a rugby league player. Admittedly St Pats has produced many a rugby league professional but they don't coach the inventiveness out of the players.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Flametop wrote:Sexton used to be a world class 10.
Farrell has never been.

Prime Sexton all day, no contest.
How is Farrell not world class? He's in the conversation for best in the world in not one but two positions. Although for me there's a little bit of a question mark about Farrell in that he's almost never not been behind the dominant pack - be it for Saracens or England. That makes you look better. I'm obviously biased but I just think Sexton has more big moments that tip him into legendary status. Has Farrell ever single-handedly dragged his team out of a hole like Sexton did against Northampton? Two seasons prior he knocked over a drop goal from the half-way line in his first Euro final that proved to be the winning of the game. Or the drop five minutes into injury time in the Stade de France.

That said Farrell, one or two bad days aside, is more consistent. Certainly hasn't had meltdowns on a scale that Sexton has had several times in the past season or two.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Sexton is doing the deadly 'Wenger'- if he's not careful he'll be remembered for hanging on a couple of seasons too long.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

If it is meant to be regarding the lions next year: Biggar. He always excels against the boks.