Why are we shelling out 75M?

All things Rugby
Openside

Why are we shelling out 75M?

Post by Openside »

Why is the Govt. responsible for getting all these Brits home? They have had at least a month with the situation getting worse and worse without doing anything about it. Why can’t they just self isolate abroad? I suspect it’s mainly snowflake Gap yah types who want to get back to mummy now the full moon party is cancelled.
Hellraiser

Re: Why are we shelling out 75M?

Post by Hellraiser »

I think you've answered your own question. The gap yah types are the children of the politicians and their friends and families.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Openside wrote:Why is the Govt. responsible for getting all these Brits home? They have had at least a month with the situation getting worse and worse without doing anything about it. Why can’t they just self isolate abroad? I suspect it’s mainly snowflake Gap yah types who want to get back to mummy now the full moon party is cancelled.
Where would they self isolate? Do hostels do separate rooms with food delivery service etc...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Some of them couldn't get flights back - I'm pretty sure if it was your crotch-fruit, you'd be up for the Government paying
backrow

Post by backrow »

There will be some reciprocal agreements I’m sure to get people back to their countries from the uk - that 75m is just one part of the costs involved.

Have to say opensides recent posts have been a bit Daily Mail
Last edited by backrow on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

It not as if you can't find spare planes and crew and fuel is cheap.

Besides you can't self isolate in a hostel or resort type environment. Better bed in with a family in a rural area if you are staying put but the medical back up in some places not worth the risk.
Last edited by Crazy Ed on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

A bigger scandel is the fact the wendyballers are getting furlough, honestly what the fuck. Millionaire footballers are getting government cash because they cant finish the season, fuck right off
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Frodder wrote:
Openside wrote:Why is the Govt. responsible for getting all these Brits home? They have had at least a month with the situation getting worse and worse without doing anything about it. Why can’t they just self isolate abroad? I suspect it’s mainly snowflake Gap yah types who want to get back to mummy now the full moon party is cancelled.
Where would they self isolate? Do hostels do separate rooms with food delivery service etc...
Can they not just shout at the local fauna and demand they tend to their every needs?

*Twirls handlebar mustache
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Agreed.

All it means is less people will look after their own interests in future.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lorthern Nights wrote:A bigger scandel is the fact the wendyballers are getting furlough, honestly what the fuck. Millionaire footballers are getting government cash because they cant finish the season, fuck right off

Are the players really claiming the money ? Do the clubs have to claim for “all” employees by law?
Saint

Post by Saint »

backrow wrote:There will be some reciprocal agreements I’m sure to get people back to their countries from the uk - that 75m is just one part of the costs involved.

This

The 75 million is basically to set up a gov run travel agency, sort out access for not commercial flight routes, and arrange airspace entry to countries where borders are currently closed.

People still actually have to pay for tickets on these services, albeit effectively at raw cost price.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Answer:

Cos the papers are full of how much the Germans are doing for their citizens.

Actually a lot of them seem to be middle ages types .

There was one couple that fled the closedown in Sri Lanka and decided to go to Goa.
Then you have a lot of the ones living cheaply in semi retirement in Asia all wanting to get home to the NHS.
Lorthern Nights

bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:A bigger scandel is the fact the wendyballers are getting furlough, honestly what the fuck. Millionaire footballers are getting government cash because they cant finish the season, fuck right off

Are the players really claiming the money ? Do the clubs have to claim for “all” employees by law?
Not that I'm aware of, it can be on a case by case basis. When the likes of Spurs with a billionnaire owner have their hand out for government cash they can really all go fuck themselves.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Lots of people wouldn't have had the money to book an ad-hoc flight to return to the UK so waited for their flight only to find it had been cancelled.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Leinsterman wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Can they not just shout at the local fauna and demand they tend to their every needs?

*Twirls handlebar mustache
Dudes with handlebars would be shooting and eating the fauna
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Lorthern Nights wrote: Not that I'm aware of, it can be on a case by case basis. When the likes of Spurs with a billionnaire owner have their hand out for government cash they can really all go fuck themselves.
Seeing the likes of Juventus taking a 70% pay cut so non playing staff can recieve their wages while Spurs players on £200k a week see workers on £20k a year getting furloughed so to government can pay them 80% of their wages it leaves a nasty taste.
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Anonymous. wrote:
Lots of people wouldn't have had the money to book an ad-hoc flight to return to the UK so waited for their flight only to find it had been cancelled.
Or they tried and the flights were fully booked.

Plenty of interviews with people who;ve been trying to get back for over 2 weeks now. While I agree that flying out would have been a questionable decision, not being able to get back is not really their fault in the majority of situations
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Saint wrote:
backrow wrote:There will be some reciprocal agreements I’m sure to get people back to their countries from the uk - that 75m is just one part of the costs involved.

This

The 75 million is basically to set up a gov run travel agency, sort out access for not commercial flight routes, and arrange airspace entry to countries where borders are currently closed.

People still actually have to pay for tickets on these services, albeit effectively at raw cost price.
This.

And this is an example where there is excellent levels of cooperation across EU27 - and it should be said - dovetailing in with UK Gov as well. It's running pretty damn well for a relatively ad-hoc set-up.

Though reading about some bint who flew out of Ireland to Peru on March 5th or 5th for a two week Yoga-Teaching course in the wilds, makes me wonder if the very least that should be demanded of them is that they give up their right to ever vote again in return for their repatriation.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

I'm still unconvinced that mass repatriations between countries were in any way a good idea in terms of stopping the spread of the virus. Far better for countries to have made agreements to keep these people in situ.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Real answer: my Dad spent 6 days in an ICU in Sydney last December (chest infection not related to Covid19) and then a further 5 days in a normal ward. Cost to his travel insurance (and he was lucky he had the gold standard version) was AUS$90000.00

If I was overseas and might have to spend time paying per hour in a foreign ICU instead of free-of-charge in the UK....well I'd also be phoning the British High Commission 5 times before lunch.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Glaston wrote:Answer:

Cos the papers are full of how much the Germans are doing for their citizens.

Actually a lot of them seem to be middle ages types .

There was one couple that fled the closedown in Sri Lanka and decided to go to Goa.
Then you have a lot of the ones living cheaply in semi retirement in Asia all wanting to get home to the NHS.
Yes. The media are desperate to find a way to get back in control of the agenda.

Airports, and movement of people were closed down fairly arbitrarily across the world. I'm sure most of those who are stuck would have made it back otherwise.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Not that I'm aware of, it can be on a case by case basis. When the likes of Spurs with a billionnaire owner have their hand out for government cash they can really all go fuck themselves.

It does make it harder to support government efforts, though the pay out is for staff and plenty of other businesses that “can” afford their wages bill will be claiming.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Sandstorm wrote:Real answer: my Dad spent 6 days in an ICU in Sydney last December (chest infection not related to Covid19) and then a further 5 days in a normal ward. Cost to his travel insurance (and he was lucky he had the gold standard version) was AUS$90000.00

If I was overseas and might have to spend time paying per hour in a foreign ICU instead of free-of-charge in the UK....well I'd also be phoning the British High Commission 5 times before lunch.
That's why I got the hell out of LAX as soon as possible.

Fark US Costs - excluded from insurance due to the Pandemic
not_english

Post by not_english »

Got a couple stuck in NZ at the moment complaining about the tv. Talk about first world problems...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... experiment
New guy

Post by New guy »

Anonymous. wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote: Not that I'm aware of, it can be on a case by case basis. When the likes of Spurs with a billionnaire owner have their hand out for government cash they can really all go fuck themselves.
Seeing the likes of Juventus taking a 70% pay cut so non playing staff can recieve their wages while Spurs players on £200k a week see workers on £20k a year getting furloughed so to government can pay them 80% of their wages it leaves a nasty taste.
Yep, there's no way (premiership) Football clubs should be receiving financial support.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Sjoe, is that real? I get that rugby clubs are very often near to going under, but English Football clubs are the richest in the world. Where is the outrage??
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

not_english wrote:Got a couple stuck in NZ at the moment complaining about the tv. Talk about first world problems...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... experiment
Surely they are still getting Coronation Street, what are they complaining about?
Lorthern Nights

Seneca of the Night wrote:I would imagine football club balance sheets are stretched to within a millimetre of their lives. One shock - snap.
Pretty much but the huge wage bill could be dramatically reduced by the fannies on the pitch waving their salary for 3/6months and in many cases the billionaire owners dipping into a fraction of their reserves to continue paying the rest of the staff whilst this sorts itself out.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Seneca of the Night wrote:I would imagine football club balance sheets are stretched to within a millimetre of their lives. One shock - snap.

Football club accounts are a thing of beauty if you like creative accounting. Prem football clubs make far far far larger profits than published accounts show. This isn’t as a tax dodge, it’s a dodge to avoid supporter pressure on transfer windows.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous. wrote:
This. A lot won't even be able to afford accommodation where they are at. Plus Governments are supposed to look after their people within reason. Plus the optics will look bad if they don't.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote:

Football club accounts are a thing of beauty if you like creative accounting. Prem football clubs make far far far larger profits than published accounts show. This isn’t as a tax dodge, it’s a dodge to avoid supporter pressure on transfer windows.
Really? Then why do relegated clubs struggle financially if they have some secret windfall?
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Pretty much but the huge wage bill could be dramatically reduced by the fannies on the pitch waving their salary for 3/6months and in many cases the billionaire owners dipping into a fraction of their reserves to continue paying the rest of the staff whilst this sorts itself out.
This talk of 80% of wendyballers wages is a bit misleading, as the max allowed by govt is £2500 per month.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Really? Then why do relegated clubs struggle financially if they have some secret windfall?

Relegation balloon payments often get appropriated , it’s also not “every” club. But two of the largest London clubs produce end shareholder income 2-3x’s the published profits / losses.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Take Tottenham.

Levy, their CEO just topped his £3m salary with a £4m bonus for getting the stadium done. They are fully paying all their players, but their 500+ employees will get 80% of wages from the government.

Fag packet maths: 500@50kpa = £25mpa =£1.25mpm. So levy forgoes his bonus and he could pay the salaries in full for 3 months. And this is without mentioning the players.

It's fúcking wrong.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

happyhooker wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Take Tottenham.

Levy, their CEO just topped his £3m salary with a £4m bonus for getting the stadium done. They are fully paying all their players, but their 500+ employees will get 80% of wages from the government.

Fag packet maths: 500@50kpa = £25mpa =£1.25mpm. So levy forgoes his bonus and he could pay the salaries in full for 3 months. And this is without mentioning the players.

It's fúcking wrong.

It maybe, however it’s the only way it can work in a democracy that want to continue post the pandemic, every business treated the same accounting wise or an army of opinion makers judging who is and who isn’t deserving of help.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

And the fact that this would be paid for... by the UK taxpayer..? There must be a boycott on this Levy man after this is all finished. What a disgrace.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

You might want to change the thread title to target the audience it is meant for. PR being a global forum and all. :lol:
I thought I was going to be out of pocket for a moment.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lemoentjie wrote:And the fact that this would be paid for... by the UK taxpayer..? There must be a boycott on this Levy man after this is all finished. What a disgrace.

How do you Boycott “a man”?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

bimboman wrote:Agreed.

All it means is less people will look after their own interests in future.
Wrong. Just wrong.

Fewer.
Lorthern Nights

bimboman wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Take Tottenham.

It's fúcking wrong.

It maybe, however it’s the only way it can work in a democracy that want to continue post the pandemic, every business treated the same accounting wise or an army of opinion makers judging who is and who isn’t deserving of help.
That's already happening as some company owners/directos of SME's arent getting any helpwhilst these wankers are. So save the bollocks on protecting democracy.

And it is capped at £2,500 but that isnt the point, these cunts shouldnt get anything