Anybody into Crypto

All things Rugby
LandOTurk

Re: Anybody into Crypto

Post by LandOTurk »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:26 pm OOT, why AMP?

https://amptoken.org/
I started reading up about crypto about a week ago. Kind of got the basics but its complicated thereafter. My (US) boss who is about 10 years younger than me started chatting about it and it turn out he is well into it. Got a stash of BTC but also said try some Amp. will either skyrocket or crash over the next decade. Leave it in there and forget about it. Its linked to these guys, https://flexa.network/, who want to become the paypal of crypto apparently.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

YOYO wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:07 pm Bitcoin has taken a fair hit. What might be the reason or is there a reason?
Cause it is a pyramid scheme that requires masses of new people coming in at the bottom to keep it running and they are starting to run short.

The posters who will get their knickers in a twist and claim this is not true below are probably the ones who got in early and like any pyramid scheme those are the ones who make the money. It is the poor bugger at the bottom ie recent investors who will be left taking the loss for their profit.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

tubbyj wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 am
YOYO wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:07 pm Bitcoin has taken a fair hit. What might be the reason or is there a reason?
Cause it is a pyramid scheme that requires masses of new people coming in at the bottom to keep it running and they are starting to run short.

The posters who will get their knickers in a twist and claim this is not true below are probably the ones who got in early and like any pyramid scheme those are the ones who make the money. It is the poor bugger at the bottom ie recent investors who will be left taking the loss for their profit.
Oh FFS. :lol:
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Can anybody on this thread say they've made a lot of money off of it? As in real money that you could spend if you needed to at a moment's notice?
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

fonzeee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 pm Ugh
Here's a good place to start in understanding the basics of Bitcoin and why it has value:

https://vijayboyapati.medium.com/the-bu ... ecc8bdecc1
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

goeagles wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 am
fonzeee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 pm Ugh
Here's a good place to start in understanding the basics of Bitcoin and why it has value:

https://vijayboyapati.medium.com/the-bu ... ecc8bdecc1
Thanks goey
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 am Can anybody on this thread say they've made a lot of money off of it? As in real money that you could spend if you needed to at a moment's notice?
I bought a couple of bitcoin back in the day to gain access to a NZB server. I recently paid for an extension to my house with the remaining profit. I hate to think how much my lifetime membership of that server worked out at...

I also did some mining a few years ago and made about £10k or so.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 am Can anybody on this thread say they've made a lot of money off of it? As in real money that you could spend if you needed to at a moment's notice?
Yes. Quite a bit although due to tax reasons, I'm not cashing any of it currently.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

ukjim wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:42 am
I bought a couple of bitcoin back in the day to gain access to a NZB server. I recently paid for an extension to my house with the remaining profit. I hate to think how much my lifetime membership of that server worked out at...

Now we're talking :thumbup:

M'lady has a friend who just got engaged to a cop who claims to have made a million dollars by getting in early on one of them, can't remember which, all sounded a bit sketchy and/or bullshit. Her friend claims to have turned $1K into $50K

Regardless I figured at some point it's worth it to at least figure out how the fck this actually works and whether or not it's viable, even if I can't quite capitalize like these folks (allegedly) did.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

I hasten to add it is a modest extension...
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 am

M'lady has a friend who just got engaged to a cop who claims to have made a million dollars by getting in early on one of them, can't remember which, all sounded a bit sketchy and/or bullshit. Her friend claims to have turned $1K into $50K

Regardless I figured at some point it's worth it to at least figure out how the fck this actually works and whether or not it's viable, even if I can't quite capitalize like these folks (allegedly) did.
Have a look at Hex which is an ERC20 token to basically as a CD https://hex.com/

There is uncertainty about the business model and it does have detractors as a project but it's trading at $0.015 this morning. Do your research.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 am

Have a look at Hex which is an ERC20 token to basically as a CD https://hex.com/

There is uncertainty about the business model and it does have detractors as a project but it's trading at $0.015 this morning. Do your research.
Many thanks my man. Believe me, I will.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Whenever I see this thread.

I am reminded

There is only one KRYPTO
and she is Nat
https://www.twitch.tv/krypto_nat

probably slightly NSFW
and loud
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

I'd guess SorCrer has made the most. And he's a good Bitcoiner not giving specific numbers. ;)

I sold some last year on the way up both to pay for taxes on gambling winnings and to re-balance my portfolio (it's not really re-balanced but it was getting extreme even for me) but in general you'll realize it's fiat currencies that you might as well light on fire. Historical rates of money printing combined with historically low interest rates makes it clear pretty quickly which of the two (USD vs BTC) you'd rather hold. Not "cashing out" is really just opting out of your savings being debased. And for now, it also happens to be savings technology with outsized returns as it eats gold's market share in the store of value market. There is a chance that it will do more than that, but even at par with gold's market cap, you're looking at a BTC price of over $400k.

Note: all of this is BTC only. I think the use cases for the other cryptos are much less clear and have more significant downside risk. Particularly as someone new to this space, it will be difficult to truly understand the tradeoffs various cryptos are making in order to make the claims they do. Start with BTC and go deep on that. Then once you wrap your head around that, if curious, take a look at Ethereum.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Uncertainty not just around the protocol but around Richard Heart. That guy is a scammer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency ... ed_people/
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

goeagles wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 pm

Uncertainty not just around the protocol but around Richard Heart. That guy is a scammer.

Yep as dodgy as. It will go up before it goes down though. I have around 100k hex which I git at $0.018 just need a few cents movement up. I certainly wouldn't stake them like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvsFwwzFj8

Has around 12 million staked. :shock:
sewa

Post by sewa »

I am up a good bit. Started buying Gold today though. There is a whole load of pain coming
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Bought several million Shiba this morning... going to sit back now and wait for Reddit to pump it to the moon
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Cartman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm Bought several million Shiba this morning... going to sit back now and wait for Reddit to pump it to the moon
SHIBA INU, or the other Shiba (only joking)
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:27 pm
goeagles wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 pm

Yep as dodgy as. It will go up before it goes down though. I have around 100k hex which I git at $0.018 just need a few cents movement up. I certainly wouldn't stake them like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvsFwwzFj8

Has around 12 million staked. :shock:
$0.0365 now. So 2x in a few weeks.

Pulsechain is coming which will airdrop all ERC20 tokens in wallets. :shock:
towny

Post by towny »

I don’t think that’s true at all. And even if it was a pyramid scheme, I don’t think this has anything to do with the recent dip.

In your opinion, what’s the difference between Bitcoin and any other currency?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:01 pm

I don’t think that’s true at all. And even if it was a pyramid scheme, I don’t think this has anything to do with the recent dip.

It is not a pyramid scheme.

Bitcoin is simply part of a very volatile asset class. However its volatility is negligible compared to some cryptos.
towny

Post by towny »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:15 pm
towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:01 pm

It is not a pyramid scheme.

Bitcoin is simply part of a very volatile asset class. However its volatility is negligible compared to some cryptos.
Yep. Not a pyramid scheme and its volatility should continue to reduce over time, right?

I’m not into crypto but I know enough to know what’s it’s not and some of its benefits. In 100 years I reckon kids will look back at ‘normal’ currencies like they will do VHS machines, faxes and milk bottles.
sewa

Post by sewa »

ETH is flying. Savage investment
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I've been reading about mining and also buying crypto.

The mining bit sounds interesting but i couldn't afford the kit .

As for buying, I'm not a risk taker. I don't have the money to lose, so will sit it out.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 pm I've been reading about mining and also buying crypto.

As for buying, I'm not a risk taker. I don't have the money to lose, so will sit it out.
Monero can be mined with normal kit.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

sewa wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:22 pm ETH is flying. Savage investment
Hasn't even started.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

sorCrer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:58 am
Hasn't even started.
Do you have an approximate target in mind?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Cartman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm Bought several million Shiba this morning... going to sit back now and wait for Reddit to pump it to the moon
Nice increase today :thumbup:

I bought a bit too.

It will be super volatile IMO
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 pm I've been reading about mining and also buying crypto.

for a whopping 50p per day profit if you have free leccy.

Mining at the moment is a mugs game unless you have the kit already as GPUs are impossible to get hold of.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Has anyone asked this?

If you make a lot of money through the value of crypto rising, and then you decide to cash out back to fiat money, will banks ask about the source of the money, and would they accept the means of acquiring that money if say looking for a mortgage or a loan? Would they suspect criminal activity even though it isn't?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

ukjim wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:20 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm

for a whopping 50p per day profit if you have free leccy.

Mining at the moment is a mugs game unless you have the kit already as GPUs are impossible to get hold of.
I was not suggesting he do it.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Cartman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am
sorCrer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:58 am
Hasn't even started.
Do you have an approximate target in mind?
Cautiously 2x. Impossible to say.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm

I bought a bit too.

Ah on Huobi?
towny

Post by towny »

I’m up for a punt. What’s the best platform to bet on this stuff and what tip has the bored decided is best?

Pappa needs a new pair of shoes.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

sorCrer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:41 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm

I bought a bit too.

Ah on Huobi?
Gate.io
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm I’m up for a punt. What’s the best platform to bet on this stuff and what tip has the bored decided is best?

Depends on may factors.

A lot of cryptos will sink and die.

Some people like NFTs. Some like DeFi.

Bear in mind that Genzler (SEC) says they should almost all be classified as securities. Also bear in mind that the US is not the world.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Fair play to anyone making money off NFTs.

I saw Colnago were selling an NFT of a c64 in custom colours for almost the price of an off the shelf c64 frame.

https://www.colnago.com/en/nft/

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f9472767 ... 6308083713

Anyone stupid enough to buy it deserves to lose the money.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm I’m up for a punt. What’s the best platform to bet on this stuff and what tip has the bored decided is best?

I can sell you an NFT of a swanky pair of church's I take BTC and ETH