Why don’t people eat crusts anymore?

All things Rugby
Short Man Syndrome

Re: Why don’t people eat crusts anymore?

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Can’t beat a nice bit of chewy crust on some tiger bread. Well, apart from all those things that are actually preferable to tiger bread crust.

My point is that crust on bread is actually quite nice, in my opinion. Your opinion may differ, of course, for that is the world in which we live.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Demilich wrote:I ate my crusts as a kid, but don't always as an adult. Why? Because bread is hardly a health food, so I eat it to enjoy it. I find the crust is generally the least enjoyable bit (notable exception on certain styles of bread, particularly home-made, where it is actually the most enjoyable bit), so, assuming I am satiated, why force myself to eat it? Same with the dried edge of a piece of cake.

I don't eat orange or banana peels either (and they at least are healthy).
Do you really see bread crust as being comparable to lemon peel and banana skin? :lol: :lol:
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

message #2527204 wrote:
Demilich wrote:I ate my crusts as a kid, but don't always as an adult. Why? Because bread is hardly a health food, so I eat it to enjoy it. I find the crust is generally the least enjoyable bit (notable exception on certain styles of bread, particularly home-made, where it is actually the most enjoyable bit), so, assuming I am satiated, why force myself to eat it? Same with the dried edge of a piece of cake.

Do you really see bread crust as being comparable to lemon peel and banana skin? :lol: :lol:
In that there is no point in eating them if you don't enjoy them? Yes. Though arguably there would be some point in eating the orange/banana skin, so maybe a poor comparison.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Empty calories. Maybe worthwhile if we enter another great depression. Apart from that, eating the slightly burned edge of flour & water paste is hardly worthwhile nor any measure of being healthy or tough.

Put something healthy and nutritious between the slices of empty processed carbs and be glad your kids eat that.

When I was a kid my dad would would call us soft for not eating pizza crust. :lol: Hard baked flour and oil. Anything remotely healthy on a pizza is not in the crust.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
message #2527204

Mog The Almighty wrote:Empty calories. Maybe worthwhile if we enter another great depression. Apart from that, eating the slightly burned edge of flour & water paste is hardly worthwhile nor any measure of being healthy or tough.

Put something healthy and nutritious between the slices of empty processed carbs and be glad your kids eat that.
you'd need a spoon to eat a Cornish pasty.

explain 'empty' calories.
Mog The Almighty

message #2527204 wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:Empty calories. Maybe worthwhile if we enter another great depression. Apart from that, eating the slightly burned edge of flour & water paste is hardly worthwhile nor any measure of being healthy or tough.

you'd need a spoon to eat a Cornish pasty.

explain 'empty' calories.
Empty calories means energy with little or no nutritious value, apart from the calories. Obviously calories are required to sustain life but if you're lucky enough to have a choice it's better to eat those that have at least some kind of nutritional value apart from fat storage.

Eating bread crusts is literally as healthy as eating spoon fulls of flour. In other words, not at all unless you're starving.

When I was a kid my dad would would call us soft for not eating pizza crust. :lol: Hard baked flour and oil. Anything remotely healthy on a pizza is not in the crust.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

So no fibre, anti-oxidants, vitamins or minerals in bread crust?
message #2527204

what have you got against flour? Or do you mean seeds in general?
Mog The Almighty

There's just very little nutritional value in it. Live off bread, pasta and two minute noodles if you want. You probably could be wouldn't be very healthy.

For any nutritional value it contains, the shit in the middle of the sandwich or on the pizza, or whatever it is you're eating,is almost definitely going to be healthier than ground flour unless its complete and utter shit.

So if you're lucky enough to have the choice, why fill yourself up with crap?
Mog The Almighty

message #2527204 wrote:what have you got against flour? Or do you mean seeds in general?
Relatively speaking. Of course there is some. Theres some nutritional value in mars bars.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Has Bimbo been along to post a link to an article that argues that people nowadays do in fact eat their crusts.
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

:lol: you do realise that not all bread are CBP bread and some are actually quite healthy. Some antioxidants are also formed during the Maillard reaction so eating the crust can be a benefit.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:There's just very little nutritional value in it. Live off bread, pasta and two minute noodles if you want. You probably could be wouldn't be very healthy.

For any nutritional value it contains, the shit in the middle of the sandwich or on the pizza, or whatever it is you're eating,is almost definitely going to be healthier than ground flour unless its complete and utter shit.

I'm talking about crusts vs not crusts, not bread vs other stuff. What is the nutritional difference between the bread in crusts and the bread in the middle?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

BlackMac wrote:Has Bimbo been along to post a link to an article that argues that people nowadays do in fact eat their crusts.
Bimbo post links? :lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

bimboman wrote:
Openside wrote:
bimboman wrote:I just had the crust off the white sliced (don’t normally eat white bread) toasted and buttered , then toasted again. It was loverly with cooked breakfast.
I wasn’t actually referring to the ends of the bread which is my job to eat or they would just be thrown away. I was talking about the edges of the bread which I assume are too tough for their underdeveloped mandibles :roll: :roll:

Then they should be expelled from the safety of the home.
Cruel but fair
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:Can’t beat a nice bit of chewy crust on some tiger bread. Well, apart from all those things that are actually preferable to tiger bread crust.

My point is that crust on bread is actually quite nice, in my opinion. Your opinion may differ, of course, for that is the world in which we live.

I hate you. I will cut you if we meet you unsufferable cock womble..

I've had to give up white bread, actually all bread as I bloat out and have to retch as soon as I have a glass of wine in the evening, giving up bread has stopped this, I'm now on 1 slice of gluten free cardboard masquerading as bread a day.
I would kill my children for a loaf of warm Tiger bread, slathered in Welsh tub butter with hanks of cheese just to finish off my clogged arteries..
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

If you only eat bread as a treat, why not only buy the ones with the nice crusts (this is inarguably the best bit of good bread). If I like chocolate but not raisins and nuts, I don't buy a fruit a nut and then pick those bits out. One of the good things about being an adult is that you can buy what you feckin like.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

MrJonno wrote:

If you only eat bread as a treat, why not only buy the ones with the nice crusts (this is inarguably the best bit of good bread). If I like chocolate but not raisins and nuts, I don't buy a fruit a nut and then pick those bits out. One of the good things about being an adult is that you can buy what you feckin like.
But I like soft white bread, sans-crust. Which is the point. I'm an adult, so can eat what I feckin like. And leave the bits I don't.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Demilich wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

But I like soft white bread, sans-crust. Which is the point. I'm an adult, so can eat what I feckin like. And leave the bits I don't.
Oh, you're a masochist. Each to his own I say.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

MrJonno wrote: Oh, you're a masochist. Each to his own I say.
Fucking-oath I am. What rugby player doesn't get some degree of wood when they break a bone, cultivate a fresh haematoma or get busted open and start to bleed? It's what makes us what we are. Then we go home and eat some fucking soft white bread.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Wallah wrote:Never did, never will. Don’t want curly hair and prefer my beachy waves :nod:
You've been doing it wrong. It makes your hair straight and your teeth curl...
Mog The Almighty

fatcat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:There's just very little nutritional value in it. Live off bread, pasta and two minute noodles if you want. You probably could be wouldn't be very healthy.

I'm talking about crusts vs not crusts, not bread vs other stuff. What is the nutritional difference between the bread in crusts and the bread in the middle?
I don't think there's any. My point just was that if someone wants to leave the crust on the bread or sandwhich then ... meh.

I'm not a fan of picky eaters. I find it a bit off putting when grown adults don't eat vegetables or open up hamburgers and pick the pickles off (especially when it's the only bit of green veg on the bloody thing). But bread crusts? Somehow not eating a useless hard baked bit of dough doesn't seem so "soft and picky".

That all said, personally, I agree with whoever said a bit of chewy crust on good quality sourdough or whatever can be quite nice. But I'll usually leave the crusts on my pizza.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Im the opposite, I prefer to eat the crust and throw away most of the white inside. I'd scrape the white doughy bit (not all) and butter up what is left with the crust.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Another thread exposing some weirdos.
My list is growing...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

More controversial than the "How do you wipe your arse" thread :shock:
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:More controversial than the "How do you wipe your arse" thread :shock:
Well, I start by cutting the crusts off.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

CarrotGawks wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:More controversial than the "How do you wipe your arse" thread :shock:
Backwards or forwards?
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:
Backwards or forwards?
The ones hanging under rather than over.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

:lol: :lol:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

CrazyIslander wrote:Im the opposite, I prefer to eat the crust and throw away most of the white inside. I'd scrape the white doughy bit (not all) and butter up what is left with the crust.
:shock:

There is not one single letter of that post I find myself disagreeing with.

Hang on.

Salted butter, yes? :x
backrow

Post by backrow »

I love crusts on all but the cheapest blandest white bread. Anyone remember Vitbe Hi-bran bread? That was mostly crust , and was delicious so of course they stopped making the stuff :(

Tiger loaf crusts are also awesome , with the lightest of Lurpack butter on them
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

redderneck wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:Im the opposite, I prefer to eat the crust and throw away most of the white inside. I'd scrape the white doughy bit (not all) and butter up what is left with the crust.
:shock:

There is not one single letter of that post I find myself disagreeing with.

Hang on.

Salted butter, yes? :x
You think agreeing with CI is bad? I ended up on the same side of the argument as Mog. I'm thinking I might have to actually start eating my crusts from here-on out, just to rectify that. :x
Openside

Post by Openside »

CarrotGawks wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

how very tedious it is, people announcing what common things they do not eat: onions, mushrooms, green peppers, olives etc etc etc

oh just bugger off please
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
fatcat wrote:

I don't think there's any. My point just was that if someone wants to leave the crust on the bread or sandwhich then ... meh.

I'm not a fan of picky eaters. I find it a bit off putting when grown adults don't eat vegetables or open up hamburgers and pick the pickles off (especially when it's the only bit of green veg on the bloody thing). But bread crusts? Somehow not eating a useless hard baked bit of dough doesn't seem so "soft and picky".

That all said, personally, I agree with whoever said a bit of chewy crust on good quality sourdough or whatever can be quite nice. But I'll usually leave the crusts on my pizza.
I do this if I'm having a whole pizza to myself. People look at you like you've sprouted a couple of extra limbs. Crusts are the least tasty bit of the pizza unless the topping extends over them, I'm a fairly slight bloke and there's only so much room in my stomach before it gets uncomfortably full, so I make sure to eat all the worthwhile stuff.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Here we go again - healthy food versus unhealthy food? What are the definitions?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Monk Zombie wrote:how very tedious it is, people announcing what common things they do not eat: onions, mushrooms, green peppers, olives etc etc etc

As edgy as a butter knife. How apposite.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

redderneck wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:how very tedious it is, people announcing what common things they do not eat: onions, mushrooms, green peppers, olives etc etc etc

As edgy as a butter knife. How apposite.
edgy?

What is edgy about what I said?
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

Gwenno wrote:Here we go again - healthy food versus unhealthy food? What are the definitions?

Well, if you’re starving all food is healthy, but if you’re a typical obese American it might be healthier to forego the Cinnabon Caramel Pecanbon and eat some vegetables instead.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

I have to say that although I am in the "white bread is naughty, relatively speaking" camp, cheap white is the best bread to use for sandwiches containing bacon, fried eggs or similar and nothing beats its ability to soak up the delicious fatty juices left in the pan when doing a fried slice.