Confinement crew cuts

All things Rugby
Leinsterman

Re: Confinement crew cuts

Post by Leinsterman »

backrow wrote: Just be grateful you don’t have the Romanian custom of being photod next to the dead persons face looking sad before they are buried !

Really? :lol:
I can only imagine what that can look like with some younger people nowadays with the lips puckered and a v sign
"Granny's dead, lol, sad face"
backrow

Post by backrow »

Leinsterman wrote:
backrow wrote: Just be grateful you don’t have the Romanian custom of being photod next to the dead persons face looking sad before they are buried !

I can only imagine what that can look like with some younger people nowadays with the lips puckered and a v sign
A few countries do it I think . Granny is dead, lying in an open casket in the living room on the morning of the funeral. Remaining family in their mourning / Sunday best clothes, gather round, and solomnly look at camera for a final photo.

It is hard for me to think anything other than ‘what the actual fudge’ but death isn’t a nice experience so who am I to judge how other people deal with it.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Lobby wrote:
BBB wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:I've only ever had Wahl until recently. I had an expensive one given to me many years ago and that lasted many years. When it eventually died I did the false economy thing of buying entry level. That didn't last long at all.

Anyway last year I thought technology has moved on so much I might as well give something modern a chance. I got a Phillips series 5000 cordless. It's so light and makes hardly any noise. So much easier to clean with nowhere near as much movement in the cutting blades. I'm never going back to the old school brick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Trim-n ... _title_hpc

The older version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxThNaynjSo
Cheers.Ill buy them.

That guy in the YouTube video is pretty skilled.
Take a bit of practice to do that straight.
AS far as I can see, all Wahl and Philips clippers are out of stock at Amazon; only Chinese knock-offs are currently available.
I bought the Philips 5000 clippers directly from Philips, I think they were around the £50 mark.

Not relevant to a buzzcut but a feature I like in practice is that instead of having an array of limit combs (like some Wahls) they just have two (1 to 12 and 13-24 or similar) and you can adjust the cutting length very easily with a simple thumb push on the clipper unit itself. Dispensing with the need for a plethora of plastic combs

There is a third limit comb for sideburns and beards.

[I now feel like a social media influencer :(( ]
Openside

Post by Openside »

backrow wrote:
Openside wrote:
backrow wrote:
Openside wrote:yup No.2 for me - last time I had it that short (bar shaving the whole lot off prior to my mother's death (long story)) was at Depot Para
Sorry you lost your mum - but this story needs explanation, you shaved your head and it was related to your mum passing ? I can’t work this out
I had organised 2 tables for an Medieval Banquet 800th Anniversary in our village. I was going as a monk and decided to do it properly and had a Tonsure for the occasion. CMOS and I were in our costumes ready to go to the banquet when I got a call that my mother was not at all well. The home were saying she would last until the morning but rather than take the chance we jumped in the car and headed the 5 hours down to Cornwall arriving at 10pm. I am glad I didn't take their advice as she died at 10 mins to midnight with my sister and me and her two D-I-L's at her bedside.

I had grabbed a bill and ben hat on my way out the door and every time the Doc came in I put it on - he must have thought what was a 6 fingered vale of Dean inhabitant doing in Cornwall wearing a hat at 11pm.

Anyway obvs I had to shave my head completely the next day so ended up going to my mums funeral looking like a bouncer :lol: :lol:
A sad & funny tale, nicely told - respect !
Part of me does wish you had done the trip down there on your Harley in your monks habit, and then forced to do so medieval chanting at the service.

Just be grateful you don’t have the Romanian custom of being photod next to the dead persons face looking sad before they are buried !
Ugh Thats a bit grim
Openside

Post by Openside »

Leinsterman wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

backrow wrote: A few countries do it I think . Granny is dead, lying in an open casket in the living room on the morning of the funeral. Remaining family in their mourning / Sunday best clothes, gather round, and solomnly look at camera for a final photo.

It is hard for me to think anything other than ‘what the actual fudge’ but death isn’t a nice experience so who am I to judge how other people deal with it.

It's certainly a lot more dignified that what I suggested anyway!

Can't point fingers anyway. The old tradition of an Irish wake where the body is in the coffin in the living room and everyone comes in, sits around and has a drink strikes me as bizarre too.
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

Google Trends for 'self haircut'

Openside

Post by Openside »

Leinsterman wrote:
backrow wrote: A few countries do it I think . Granny is dead, lying in an open casket in the living room on the morning of the funeral. Remaining family in their mourning / Sunday best clothes, gather round, and solomnly look at camera for a final photo.

Can't point fingers anyway. The old tradition of an Irish wake where the body is in the coffin in the living room and everyone comes in, sits around and has a drink strikes me as bizarre too.
We all sat and chatted round my mothers bed after she had died for about an hour. It was really kinda nice as we swapped funny stories about her.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Openside wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

We all sat and chatted round my mothers bed after she had died for about an hour. It was really kinda nice as we swapped funny stories about her.
She wasn’t a saffa then !
Openside

Post by Openside »

backrow wrote:
Openside wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

She wasn’t a saffa then !
Nope a Scot (by birth)
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

This is a photo I took a few days ago to show of my corona-mo. But it's also a pretty neat hair cut I gave myself.
Spoiler: show
Openside

Post by Openside »

I posted a photo on FB of my buzz cut and it was promptly bastardised by TB63 and Fatcat.

Explaining to CMOS why someone had posted a lawnmower in the back of the picture was a tad awkward!!
backrow

Post by backrow »

Mog , you having a gay old time in Sweden then
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Openside wrote:I posted a photo on FB of my buzz cut and it was promptly bastardised by TB63 and Fatcat.

Explaining to CMOS why someone had posted a lawnmower in the back of the picture was a tad awkward!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wondered where that picture came from
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Mog, is that some kind of Viking-inspired necklace?
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Openside wrote:I posted a photo on FB of my buzz cut and it was promptly bastardised by TB63 and Fatcat.

Can I post mine on here? I was quite proud of it. :lol:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Lemoentjie wrote:Mog, is that some kind of Viking-inspired necklace?
It's Thor's Hammer - Mjolnir
Openside

Post by Openside »

fatcat wrote:

I don't care!!

I was going to post it but was worried that due to my IT skilz I would give everyone access to my Face book :blush:
Mog The Almighty

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
That's the correct answer. It's a replica of a pendant found in a Viking burial mound.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
That's the correct answer. It's a replica of a pendant found in a Viking burial mound.
I have a forged one I was gifted - it's rough but cool
Mog The Almighty

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
There's heaps of them around, apparently Mjölnir was very popular back in the day in these parts.

(the two dots turns the o into an "ea" like in "earth") - "muh-yearl-near"

(edit: and while I'm giving language lessons, they don't have a "th" in Swedish. Thor is pronounced like "door" with a hard T instead of d at the start and a rolled-R at the end.).
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Openside wrote:
fatcat wrote:

I don't care!!

I was going to post it but was worried that due to my IT skilz I would give everyone access to my Face book :blush:
Maybe I'll leave it on FB, save people the horror!
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Yeah, done mine yesterday. Wife offered but declined and set about it with a handheld mirror in the bathroom.

Roughly a #8 or maybe #10 on top (a #4 plus fingers) blended to a #4 on the sides. Bumped into a barber I know in the supermarket just before doing it and his tip was to do it in three stages (order matters less): top, then the C shape from one temple to the other, going just behind the crown; then the sides & back - split the difference between your top and side/back length when doing that C cut. Worked a treat.

Might get the missus to do the hairline at my collar - tried that with a mirror in one hand and felt like a spaz trying to move the clippers in the way the mirror was suggesting... just couldn't get it lining up properly at all.
Mog The Almighty

pjm1 wrote:Yeah, done mine yesterday. Wife offered but declined and set about it with a handheld mirror in the bathroom.
amateur.
Mog The Almighty

backrow wrote:Mog , you having a gay old time in Sweden then
You can call me Bruce. Or Lance, whichever you prefer.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
There's heaps of them around, apparently Mjölnir was very popular back in the day in these parts.

(edit: and while I'm giving language lessons, they don't have a "th" in Swedish. Thor is pronounced like "door" with a hard T instead of d at the start and a rolled-R at the end.).
It's pronounced like Welsh then
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Friday mine comes off. Raised a couple of grand so far for charity between a few of us.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

:D :D :D
Mog The Almighty

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote: There's heaps of them around, apparently Mjölnir was very popular back in the day in these parts.

That wouldn't surprise me. Although Swedish is f-cking hard. They have so many sounds we just don't have really in English. "Thor" for example is half way between "door and "tour" but with a very hard T and a rolling R. Maybe even a bit closer to "tour" now I think about it. I still don't have it right, sometimes I think I'm speaking perfect Swedish and people don't understand what I'm saying, stare at me blankly and then in English, they're like, "ohhhhhh .... you mean xxxx!!", and it sounds to me exactly the f-cking same as what I just said.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Surprisingly, once you master Welsh pronunciation, everything else is easy

:lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote: There's heaps of them around, apparently Mjölnir was very popular back in the day in these parts.

That wouldn't surprise me. Although Swedish is f-cking hard. They have so many sounds we just don't have really in English. "Thor" for example is half way between "door and "tour" but with a very hard T and a rolling R. Maybe even a bit closer to "tour" now I think about it. I still don't have it right, sometimes I think I'm speaking perfect Swedish and people don't understand what I'm saying, stare at me blankly and then in English, they're like, "ohhhhhh .... you mean xxxx!!", and it sounds to me exactly the f-cking same as what I just said.
Far kinell, that must be frustrating/maddening to the nth!
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

TBH, when I've listened to Swedish it sounds like a very easy language to learn. It sounds like most of the vocabulary is similar to Afrikaans/Dutch, and even though the pronunciation is different, I can still usually understand it.

Chinese on the other hand :((
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Calculus wrote:TBH, when I've listened to Swedish it sounds like a very easy language to learn. It sounds like most of the vocabulary is similar to Afrikaans/Dutch, and even though the pronunciation is different, I can still usually understand it.

And Japanese
Mog The Almighty

Calculus wrote:TBH, when I've listened to Swedish it sounds like a very easy language to learn. It sounds like most of the vocabulary is similar to Afrikaans/Dutch, and even though the pronunciation is different, I can still usually understand it.

Swedish and Norwegian both share a very melodic rhythm that is difficult to pick up, and they don't seem to understand you unless you do it too. It doesn't sound anything like Dutch or Afrikaans to me, but I wouldn't really know. However, I do have a Dutch friend who has lived in Sweden for almost 10 years and he can't speak a lick of Swedish, says it's impossible for him. Likewise, I've also never heard a Swede say they can easily understand Dutch. I've been to Amsterdam a few times with my Swedish girlfriend, and have a couple of South African friends too - I've never heard this comparison before from either side. Maybe you're just very good with languages?

In any case, Swedish is a Nordic language most similar to Norwegian (and Danish, at least in spelling and structure) and historically related to Icelandic. It's roots come from old norse, which is something like Icelandic. Dutch/Afrikaans is on a different branch of the language tree., although all languages, including English are heavily influenced by the nordic langauges thanks to the Vikings, so it wouldn't surprise me to know there were some similarities in Dutch. But there's also a many similarities in English and I don't know any English speakers who can understand Swedish just by listening to it.
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

Unfortunately I’m not that good at languages, but as I said, when listening to Swedish there are numerous cognates that I could recognize. This is from a limiting sampling mind.

I’m also no linguist, but I remember some Hansa history, and middle low German, which by some definition s includes middle Dutch, had a massive influence on Danish , Swedish and Norwegian. Outside of the other North Germanic languages I would not be surprised if either Low German or Dutch were most closely related to Swedish. Maybe one of the resident board’s linguist could help out, Bimbo?
VBall

Post by VBall »

I lived in Belgium for a while and pick up a smattering of Flemish - enough for shopping, eating out and buying fries and beer. I was able to understand a hell of a lot more. I go to Sweden for business every quarter and find it hard to understand a conversation but can slowly get through some written items.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

My missus trimmed mine yesterday and by trimmed I mean Bergen Belsen'd the shit out of me. I went with a long blade all over and then asked her to trim over ears. First error. She left a blade 0 arc. I got a bit worried and calmly asked her to mirror that on the other side. Stupid looking but equally stupid looking. However the process of copying was too much and she went for a straight up the side blade 0 channel. I thought she was taking the piss but no there it was. She then got angry with me. Classic ladying. When she calmed we got to the butchering. Blade 0 at the sides and back and blade 2 at the top. The line between 0 and 2 is as straight as Julian Clary. Anyway I look fūcked and a few posters can attest to that. Good thing is we are on restricted movement's and I am not in work for a few weeks. Barbers won't open here until July :(
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

EverReady wrote:My missus trimmed mine yesterday and by trimmed I mean Bergen Belsen'd the shit out of me. I went with a long blade all over and then asked her to trim over ears. First error. She left a blade 0 arc. I got a bit worried and calm asked her to mirror that on the other side. Stupid looking but equally stupid looking. However the process of copying was too much and she went for a straight up the side blade 0 channel. I thought she was taking the piss but no there it was. She then for angry with me. Classic ladying. When she calmed we got to the butchering. Blade 0 at the sides and back and blade 2 at the top. The line between 0 and 2 is as straight as Julian Clary. Anyway I look fūcked and a few posters can attest to that. Good thing is we are on restricted movement's and I am not in work for a few weeks. Barbers won't open here until July :(
It’s only fair that you get to do her colour.

:nod:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Openside wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Ditto when my Mum died in 2017. I was at work but got to the hospice a.s.a.p, and my sibs and others spent godnose how long just talking about our memories of her. Also the case the year before when my Dad died, the only difference being I was only 15 minutes away, having left maybe 15 minutes before he died.

I would not have missed either for anything.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Openside wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Ditto when my Mum died in 2017. I was at work but got to the hospice a.s.a.p, and my sibs and others spent godnose how long just talking about our memories of her. Also the case the year before when my Dad died, the only difference being I was only 15 minutes away, having left maybe 15 minutes before he died.

I would not have missed either for anything.