Bike help

All things Rugby
LandOTurk

Bike help

Post by LandOTurk »

One of my boys has a problem with his rear brake.

The pic below is looking from the back of the bike.

The brake pad indicated is gently touching the wheel without pressing the brake lever.

What do I adjust to release the tension on that side so it moves off the wheel a fraction?

I always find these things a bugger and end up putting it all out of whack and have to use a local bike person for $40.

If you're unsure let me know too as I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you

Anonymous 1

Re: Bike help

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Is the wheel running true

Is there a big gap on the other side

Try turning that little screw

https://youtu.be/BJCbjqhzW_Y?t=183
Womack

Post by Womack »

Yeah the little screw at the bottom of the brake arm is an adjustment screw so try turning that a few times. You can obviously release a bit of tension on the cable too, either at the brake end or with the barrell adjuster on the brake lever, but that won't cure the problem if the brake isn't centering properly. And also try lubricating the noodle (the little curved metal tube the cable runs through) as sometimes the cable gets stuck there.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Buy a packet of McCoy's
usermame

Post by usermame »

Adjust the screw on the arm you don't want to move. Yeah, I know. I would suggest turning that screw out (anti clockwise) a turn or two and see what happens on the side you're worried about. Adjust to suit. Go the other way if that doesn't work. You may have to fiddle with both sides to get the proper clearance. Or not.

Or you could just turn the adjusting barrel near the brake lever in a turn or two. That would be easiest if it works, though the brake probably wouldn't be at peak efficiency.

They're terrible things, to have them work properly one has to straighten the rim and get both sides engaging together, what a hassle, which I assume you won't do and won't care about a bit of wobble. It's only the back brake after all.

Also they're fiddly, but if you count the turns on the screws you adjust you can always put them back where they were.

I won't go back to them after disks, even though they're good stoppers when set up properly.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

LandOTurk wrote:One of my boys has a problem with his rear brake.

The pic below is looking from the back of the bike.

The brake pad indicated is gently touching the wheel without pressing the brake lever.

What do I adjust to release the tension on that side so it moves off the wheel a fraction?

I always find these things a bugger and end up putting it all out of whack and have to use a local bike person for $40.

If you're unsure let me know too as I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you

puku

Post by puku »

As above.

Anon does make an additional point worth checking though ie make sure the wheel itself is not bent. In that case, you may not have enough tolerance even after making the adjustment.
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Isnt the problem first and foremost the pad is to high and rubbing the tyre not the rim, so the pad needs lowering first then adjust the gap.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

farmerdave wrote:Isnt the problem first and foremost the pad is to high and rubbing the tyre not the rim, so the pad needs lowering first then adjust the gap.
No expert, but that’s what I’d do. Hex key to loosen the pad and slide it down a smidge. Could just be mms to get to a pos where it doesn’t rub but still gives good grip when squeezed.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Could also just search v-brake vids to see if you can see the issue / fix. https://youtu.be/I3wcX8t7lZw
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

At the brake lever there should be a barrel that tightens or loosens where the cable from that brake goes into the lever. Loosen it off slightly (I believe its left) rather than at the brake.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Pad is way too high..

Hand in your Taff badge you useless cockwomble. ..
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Get discs.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Just reading this.

The wheel is defo straight.

The pad is 100% only on the wheel rim not the tyre. Its just touching one side that's all. I have two boys with the same bikes. The other one is set up identically, but the rear pad is fine.

Thanks lads. I'll get into it tomorrow and report back.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Doesn't look like that brake has the spring on it to me. There has to be a vertical wire spring on the backside of that arm for the brake to function, the wire spring pushes the brake away from the wheel, without the spring the brake on the opposite side that does have a spring just yanks the other side into the rim.

Check there first.
usermame

Post by usermame »

One thing, which you probably don't have to be told, give the brake lever a couple of squeezes after each adjustment so you can see where the brakes settle in their new position.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Just remove the brakes and get him shoes with thick soles, teach him to stop old skool.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Forgot to say thanks. I just had to adjust the small black screw inwards on the other side from where the brake block touched the rim.
AnkleTap

Re: Bike help5

Post by AnkleTap »

MrJonno wrote:Just remove the brakes and get him shoes with thick soles, teach him to stop old skool.
The weight gain from removing the brakes is lost by adding thickness to the soles :thumbdown:
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

TB63 wrote:Pad is way too high..

Hand in your Taff badge you useless cockwomble. ..
Don't be rude to an obvious woman.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Screw the little screw in on the arm thats not releasing. It may be worth spraying wd40 or similar into the cable between the out cable and the inner to reduce overall friction.