Starlink satellites tonight..

All things Rugby
TB63

Starlink satellites tonight..

Post by TB63 »

Should be a good show if weather holds, 8.30 pm onwards for at least an hour, watched them last night, could see 7 at a time in a row crossing the sky..

Download Heavens - Above app and click on nightly events for times, click on the satellite name for a projection of where it will appear above you..
slick

Re: Starlink satellites tonight..

Post by slick »

With the Lyrid tonight could be quite a show
Homer

Post by Homer »

Saw them last night tracking roughly West to East. Was surpised at how bright they were.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Will they be overhead in the uk? What time?
TB63

Post by TB63 »

message #2527204 wrote:Will they be overhead in the uk? What time?
Download Heavens Above app, it geo locates and will give you realtime and forecasts for passes at your position..
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

f**king things, destroying Astronomy - the science that led us to develop space tech in the first place. fudge Musk, the loony. Good news is the business plan makes no sense so in ten years or so they'll be gone.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Biffer29 wrote:f**king things, destroying Astronomy - the science that led us to develop space tech in the first place. fudge Musk, the loony. Good news is the business plan makes no sense so in ten years or so they'll be gone.
businesses plan is 'look at me I'm Elon musk' ... helps him cadge more money for other self-promotional stuff.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Biffer29 wrote:f**king things, destroying Astronomy - the science that led us to develop space tech in the first place. fudge Musk, the loony. Good news is the business plan makes no sense so in ten years or so they'll be gone.
They're only visible shortly after launch, once they go up to operational altitude they won't be visible with the naked eye, but, using a telescope will be different..
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Hate them. Hadn't heard about them before seeing them in January. Most unnatural unnerving sight I've ever seen in the sky, really ugly.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

farmerdave wrote:Hate them. Hadn't heard about them before seeing them in January. Most unnatural unnerving sight I've ever seen in the sky, really ugly.
Apparently he wants to put 42000 of them into orbit.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

obelixtim wrote:
farmerdave wrote:Hate them. Hadn't heard about them before seeing them in January. Most unnatural unnerving sight I've ever seen in the sky, really ugly.
Apparently he wants to put 42000 of them into orbit.
And once they reach operational altitude, they won't be visible with the naked eye.. Sheesh, bet farmerdaves ancestors smashed up cotton looms as well, previously, further back, they were heard grunting to each other as the first wheel rolled past., "that'll never catch on.."
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Yeah Musk can be a right twat but I have to admire what he's done to two industries with Tesla and SpaceX. Excited to see if Starship SN4 is going to go pop or actually make the hop soon. And hopefully then watch SN5 do the 20km belly flop test.

Starlink calendar can be seen here if you want viewing times: https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/ ... l=starlink
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

pjm1 wrote:Yeah Musk can be a right twat but I have to admire what he's done to two industries with Tesla and SpaceX. Excited to see if Starship SN4 is going to go pop or actually make the hop soon. And hopefully then watch SN5 do the 20km belly flop test.

Starlink calendar can be seen here if you want viewing times: https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/ ... l=starlink
:thumbup:
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

41 tomorrow night
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Couldn’t see a thing :(
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

TB63 wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Apparently he wants to put 12000 of them into orbit.
And once they reach operational altitude, they won't be visible with the naked eye.. Sheesh, bet farmerdaves ancestors smashed up cotton looms as well, previously, further back, they were heard grunting to each other as the first wheel rolled past., "that'll never catch on.."

Not quite right.
These satellites are placed too close to the Earth at around 500 km distance from the equator. In comparison, the Geostationary satellites are placed in higher orbits 36,000 km away from the earth. The Earth’s atmosphere is roughly 480 kilometers thick.

Due to this closeness, the satellites are reflecting more light towards the earth. Astronomers have expressed concerns that this might ruin the night sky for us as we won’t be able to see the actual stars Also, it would cause hindrance for scientific works. For example, they might come in the way of scientific telescopes trying to unearth the secrets of the universe. With lots of radio signals traveling back and forth, it might cause problems for radio astronomy as well.

The satellites have been kept in a lower orbit because they eliminate the need for heavy communication dishes. This limits the weight to 500 pounds, which is roughly the weight of Harley Davidson Street 750.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

DragsterDriver wrote:Couldn’t see a thing :(
Saw maybe 3 in total, one going at a serious clip tbf but a bit underwhelming overall. A friend in the sticks sans light pollution enjoyed a much better show.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Couldn’t see a thing :(
Saw maybe 3 in total, one going at a serious clip tbf but a bit underwhelming overall. A friend in the sticks sans light pollution enjoyed a much better show.
Yeah the pictures on Facebook looked amazing :? Gonna try again tomorrow.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

message #2527204 wrote:
businesses plan is 'look at me I'm Elon musk' ... helps him cadge more money for other self-promotional stuff.
It requires $34billion initial investment, and then the same again on a rolling basis every eight years. And that’s without the base station costs you need on the ground everywhere for it to work.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

TB63 wrote:
They're only visible shortly after launch, once they go up to operational altitude they won't be visible with the naked eye, but, using a telescope will be different..
Yeah, the large telescopes can detect stars that are less than one millionth the brightness of what you can see with the naked eye - you’re really detecting things that you collect a few tens or hundreds of photons from over the course of several hours. So these pieces of crap streaking across your observation destroys any chance of proper science.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

This.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

TB63 wrote:
Yes, hence the astronomy part :?
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

33 and 39 going right overhead tonight. Must try and remember

danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

^ :lol:
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

The space station just went over my house. Bright as hell as always, like a mini military flare. So I watch it zipping across the sky and its heading towards to horizon when somewhat to the left I spot another two satellites heading the same way, and one of them is closing in on then other before both go over the horizon themselves. What a fine show.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Great little global warming reducing umbrellas for the Earth.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

AnkleTap wrote:The space station just went over my house. Bright as hell as always, like a mini military flare. So I watch it zipping across the sky and its heading towards to horizon when somewhat to the left I spot another two satellites heading the same way, and one of them is closing in on then other before both go over the horizon themselves. What a fine show.
Will you feel the same when there are close to a hundred thousand of the comma constellation satellites and you can't see the natural show, which is far more beautiful?
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Biffer29 wrote:
AnkleTap wrote:The space station just went over my house. Bright as hell as always, like a mini military flare. So I watch it zipping across the sky and its heading towards to horizon when somewhat to the left I spot another two satellites heading the same way, and one of them is closing in on then other before both go over the horizon themselves. What a fine show.
Will you feel the same when there are close to a hundred thousand of the comma constellation satellites and you can't see the natural show, which is far more beautiful?

Just take the trip to Mars, the view from there will be great.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Biffer29 wrote:
We're heading towards the fake stars of "Darker Than Black"
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Article today in the Irish Times about how they are fücking up the sky. Typically Musk is lying and saying they make no difference. What surprised me was there are only 420 of them launched so far and 12000 are envisaged :uhoh:
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

EverReady wrote:Article today in the Irish Times about how they are fücking up the sky. Typically Musk is lying and saying they make no difference. What surprised me was there are only 420 of them launched so far and 12000 are envisaged :uhoh:
Not 12,000. Musk’s target number is much larger, he has licenses for about 40,000 launches. Add to that thousands more from the Kuiper constellation (by Amazon), OneWeb and a couple of others and we could be talking 70,000 satellites.

When we can no longer see the night sky, we will no longer have a sense of wonder and inquiry about it.