Oil price

All things Rugby
Flyin Ryan

Re: Oil price

Post by Flyin Ryan »

The Sun God wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:Pity I've no big boat these days, got about six gallons in the outboard tanks when I got back from the holidays.
Probably end up putting that in the car which is full right now.
I read somewhere yesterday that you can fill up , in the US mid-west, for 12 cents a gallon.
I posted that. That's the wholesale price in the Midwest. The gas stations by me are something like $1.30-1.35 a gallon, pretty much the lowest it's been post-2008.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:Pity I've no big boat these days, got about six gallons in the outboard tanks when I got back from the holidays.
I read somewhere yesterday that you can fill up , in the US mid-west, for 12 cents a gallon.
I posted that. That's the wholesale price in the Midwest. The gas stations by me are something like $1.30-1.35 a gallon, pretty much the lowest it's been post-2008.
So that's 0.35 US$ per litre or 0.32 Euro. FFS I filled up in Dublin last night at 1.28 per litre. !!
backrow

Post by backrow »

Slight sidetrack, but somebody nearby has a Vauxhall Monaro, a rebadged Holden V8 6-litre beast. It’s about 15 years old and done about 40k miles max - at the moment the bloke is using it to drive to work daily and you can hear it roar streets away ! :o

He must be loving this cheap fuel and empty roads.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

The Sun God wrote:
I think someone's pulling your chain, $1.15 is the lowest price around here
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Spyglass wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
I think someone's pulling your chain, $1.15 is the lowest price around here
That is still about a quarter of what we pay to pollute the planet....
Openside

Post by Openside »

Bloody hell I have just been outside and caught some bastard trying to siphon Petrol into my car!! :x :x
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

Openside wrote:Bloody hell I have just been outside and caught some bastard trying to siphon Petrol into my car!! :x :x
i'll pay that :thumbup:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Openside wrote:Bloody hell I have just been outside and caught some bastard trying to siphon Petrol into my car!! :x :x
That’s a clear breach of dogging protocol, disgraceful.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Will you buy another one once it’s full up, in the exact opposite way to your lawnmower ?
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

The Sun God wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
So that's 0.35 US$ per litre or 0.32 Euro. FFS I filled up in Dublin last night at 1.28 per litre. !!
Went 107.9p in our neck of the woods and stayed there ever since. If that's their minimum price then God knows what the profit margin's got up to.
Saint

Post by Saint »

So Diesel is around. £1.17 locally at the moment. Of that, approx 78p would be VAT and duty, leaving 39p a litre to cover distribution, storage, staffing, actual cost of oil, and margin. At the moment they're still selling stuff that actually cost the genuine money to buy
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:So Diesel is around. £1.17 locally at the moment. Of that, approx 78p would be VAT and duty, leaving 39p a litre to cover distribution, storage, staffing, actual cost of oil, and margin. At the moment they're still selling stuff that actually cost the genuine money to buy

I’m paying 108 for diesel locally.
Saint

Post by Saint »

bimboman wrote:
Saint wrote:So Diesel is around. £1.17 locally at the moment. Of that, approx 78p would be VAT and duty, leaving 39p a litre to cover distribution, storage, staffing, actual cost of oil, and margin. At the moment they're still selling stuff that actually cost the genuine money to buy

I’m paying 108 for diesel locally.
Yeah, we get ripped off in the Oxfordshire wilderness - but you have to think that's getting pretty close to as low as it gets.

I don't think our local station has needed a delivery in over a month - it usually goes one twice a week
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Any thoughts on Scottish independence Jocks?
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Well fraking the saudis over is an unexpected benefit of a shit situation.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Why is Saudis breakneven price so high ? I thought their costs were pretty much the cheapest as their oil is inland and white near the surface.

Kind of wishing I had taken than vitol job back in 98 rather than RBS for a measly £1500 a year extra , think it would have suited me more than fund management
kiap

Post by kiap »

backrow wrote:Why is Saudis breakneven price so high ? I thought their costs were pretty much the cheapest as their oil is inland and white near the surface.
I'm not certain, but the graphic says they need "far higher prices to balance their budgets" so it's probably not the cost of production being referenced, but rather all the government spend that's been racked up based on a higher oil price.
Last edited by kiap on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote:Why is Saudis breakneven price so high ? I thought their costs were pretty much the cheapest as their oil is inland and white near the surface.

Kind of wishing I had taken than vitol job back in 98 rather than RBS for a measly £1500 a year extra , think it would have suited me more than fund management

Break even costs are a measure of what is also required to keep the control of the oil .... in Saudis case the “princely barrels” distributed across the royal families make up a lot of the counter costs.
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

That figure must be break even for all the social commitments they link to the oil price. No way the all combined upstream, midstream and downstream totals that when deep water plays would be $40 to $50 break even for the majors.

That is Saudi Arabia (country), not Saudi Aramco (company).
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

kiap wrote:
I'm not certain, but the graphic says they need "far higher prices to balance their budgets" so it's probably not the cost of production being referenced, but rather all the government spend that's been racked up based on a higher oil price.
I expect that’s right. Their cost of production has always been relatively low (even allowing for inefficiencies) but their budgetary assumption for the price of oil are far higher, so they are currently burning reserves faster than others.

IIRC Venezuela’s budget was based off $160 oil back in 2014, and many thought they were being optimistic that they could cover spending at that price.
One analyst at Nomura recently estimated that Venezuela may need oil prices to hit $200 a barrel to balance its budget. (The precise figure is difficult to determine, because Venezuela doesn’t disclose as much economic data as other countries do.)
Last edited by Mr Mike on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Thanks for explanation. In that case, fudge them, the backward thinking sand munching twats !
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

backrow wrote:Thanks for explanation. In that case, fudge them, the backward thinking sand munching twats !
This from 2014/15 explains it “well”.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2014/12/01/b ... untry.html
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Because oil subsidizes all 33 million of the lazy fúcks in one way or another.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The Sun God wrote:

“Managers”.
panamax

Post by panamax »

Crazy Ed wrote:Well fraking the saudis over is an unexpected benefit of a shit situation.
nope , the Saudis are pushing this, they are sitting on massive amounts of cash reserves and have decided to increase production officially after russia refused the OPEC deal, but they must be quite pleased with killing the US and canadian oil industry.

right now they re ok with bleeding for a while, while winning market shares and killing the shale oil competition, they see it as an investment for the future basically

we'll see if they were right
shanky

Post by shanky »

The Sun God wrote:

Yup.

$3 to get it out of the ground, and another $50 to pay for the blow.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

panamax wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:Well fraking the saudis over is an unexpected benefit of a shit situation.
nope , the Saudis are pushing this, they are sitting on massive amounts of cash reserves and have decided to increase production officially after russia refused the OPEC deal, but they must be quite pleased with killing the US and canadian oil industry.

right now they re ok with bleeding for a while, while winning market shares and killing the shale oil competition, they see it as an investment for the future basically

we'll see if they were right
The Russians were pretty comfortable with increasing supply for the same reason, but neither of them ever anticipated the level of demand destruction that occurred contemporaneously. The Russians are also burning significant cash reserves but with a lower budgetary price deck they are in reasonable shape to weather this if they reduce some discretionary spend (including foreign electoral interference).

Thee is no doubt that this attempt to disrupt US shale will be more successful than 2014/15 but at a far greater cost to all of the OPEC nations.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

:x

How the hell did they get into the grounds?
Openside

Post by Openside »

sorCrer wrote:
:x

How the hell did they get into the grounds?
:lol: :lol:
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

£97.99 for 500 litres of heating oil in my postcode with Boilerjuice. Will it keep going South??
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Varsity Way wrote:£97.99 for 500 litres of heating oil in my postcode with Boilerjuice. Will it keep going South??
That’s obscene!
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

:lol:
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

The Sun God wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
About 90c - €1 is taxes though.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Varsity Way wrote:£97.99 for 500 litres of heating oil in my postcode with Boilerjuice. Will it keep going South??
That’s obscene!

£84.87 now!! :shock:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Varsity Way wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
That’s obscene!

£84.87 now!! :shock:
So glad I filled up a couple of months ago :roll:
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Don`t worry, the money men will find an excuse to start a Middle East war to drive the prices up again. They wont go short.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

In NZ where over half the cost of retail petrol is tax, we've dropped from a peak in September 2018 of $2.32 p/litre of regular 91 to $1.50 today. Renewed competition between smaller fuel operators is helping a lot as well. Long may it continue!
backrow

Post by backrow »

Ouch - shell cuts its dividend by 65%, first cut since ww2
This is bad for everyone , not just direct holders like me, but pension funds as it’s one of the global big dividend payers. It’s yield was about 10% which was daft though so a cut is no surprise really.

Luckily BP maintained it’s dividend earlier this week, but next quarter a cut or suspension seems certain now. How many of the other oil majors will follow suit ?
shanky

Post by shanky »

backrow wrote:Ouch - shell cuts its dividend by 65%, first cut since ww2
This is bad for everyone , not just direct holders like me, but pension funds as it’s one of the global big dividend payers. It’s yield was about 10% which was daft though so a cut is no surprise really.

Luckily BP maintained it’s dividend earlier this week, but next quarter a cut or suspension seems certain now. How many of the other oil majors will follow suit ?
Genuine question

How many pension funds in Britain would have Shell on the books?

I'd assumed it was listed in Amsterdam or some such.