Gorgodzilla Gooone!!!

All things Rugby
FullbackAce

Gorgodzilla Gooone!!!

Post by FullbackAce »

With top 14 over Mamuka has officially retired from the game. I have to admit I had a lot of fun following his career. especially early on he was an untamed beast. You knew when he was in the lineup it was going to be a hella fun game to watch.

He got a reputation as a bit of a tussler which he was early on but I think that did him a disservice because he was actually a very smart player, and quite humble off the field too.

And trashy youtube highlight clips which I watch more often than I'd like to admit :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEifZfu20U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SBmeha10w
fonzeee

Re: Gorgodzilla Gooone!!!

Post by fonzeee »

One of my favorite players of all time. Loved the violence of his playing style, such brute strength.

Has to be one of the best non-Tier 1 players as well...who else even comes close? peak Caucau, Dan Lyle, Jacques Burger, probably some Canadians from their golden era,...ummm...Alesana Tuilagi? Gregor Kacala (not that I've ever seen him play a minute even on Youtube)?

Lots of backrow there.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Speaking of trashy YouTube clips, does anyone else remember the All Blacks highlight reel set to DMX? :lol:

I know the original was taken down eventually, this one might be the same video but also might be a copycat as the music doesn't quite sync up the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQeX97lFs3I

In the early days of YouTube that was as close as you could get to the game in a place like the US. No rugby on TV, internet streams were essentially unwatchable, no ESPN+, and Youtube didn't have clips longer than 10 minutes, let alone full matches. That was the clip that came up when you searched "rugby" circa 2007
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Great player, so much more than a route one bosh merchant.
C69

Post by C69 »

Legend :thumbup:
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

fonzeee wrote:In the early days of YouTube that was as close as you could get to the game in a place like the US. No rugby on TV, internet streams were essentially unwatchable, no ESPN+, and Youtube didn't have clips longer than 10 minutes, let alone full matches. That was the clip that came up when you searched "rugby" circa 2007
Rugby was on a channel called Fox Sports World and even regular ESPN back in the day (I remember watching the Leicester vs State Francais HEC final). Then FSW became Fox Soccer Channel and eventually dropped rugby to the premium channel Fox Soccer+ and a PPV channel called Setata bought up the rest. There was a prematch/highlights show called The Rugby Club on FSW that we all used to watch as our weekly fix. Goeagles and Flyin Ryan would remember it. It’s one of the first gigs Max Bretos from ESPN had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_N9ZhcfUg

Gorgodze was awesome btw. One of my favorites too. :thumbup:
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Bowens wrote:
fonzeee wrote:In the early days of YouTube that was as close as you could get to the game in a place like the US. No rugby on TV, internet streams were essentially unwatchable, no ESPN+, and Youtube didn't have clips longer than 10 minutes, let alone full matches. That was the clip that came up when you searched "rugby" circa 2007
Rugby was on a channel called Fox Sports World and even regular ESPN back in the day (I remember watching the Leicester vs State Francais HEC final). Then FSW became Fox Soccer Channel and eventually dropped rugby to the premium channel Fox Soccer+ and a PPV channel called Setata bought up the rest. There was a prematch/highlights show called The Rugby Club on FSW that we all used to watch as our weekly fix. Goeagles and Flyin Ryan would remember it. It’s one of the first gigs Max Bretos from ESPN had.

I just missed FSW, they'd gone all soccer by the time we got it at my house. I do recall seeing some RWC 2007 matches on whatever OLN became (argh had to google it, Versus, which I forgot is what became NBCSN). Never ever saw rugby on ESPN, but do remember seeing Aussie Rules on it once at like 2 AM and wondering what the fck this magical game was.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

One of those rare players who didnt play for a team I support but am sad to see retire.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

When this covid shit is over they should have a baa baas game with all the retirees who couln't get a propoer send off.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Bowens wrote:

[Globus mode not really] My first 7's tournament in the California, I filled in for a team that included, among their number, Max Bretos. Nice guy, he looked familiar at first, it was only when I got home that evening and caught a bit of FSW that the penny dropped.

This was in the days before youtube even existed, and message boreds like this were the closest thing to "Social Media," so not only could you not watch a match, it was nearly impossible to find anyone updating it live.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Nice. Yep the old days of the Planet Rugby live match tracker. Probably the last time I visited the main page.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

FullbackAce wrote:With top 14 over Mamuka has officially retired from the game. I have to admit I had a lot of fun following his career. especially early on he was an untamed beast. You knew when he was in the lineup it was going to be a hella fun game to watch.

He got a reputation as a bit of a tussler which he was early on but I think that did him a disservice because he was actually a very smart player, and quite humble off the field too.

And trashy youtube highlight clips which I watch more often than I'd like to admit :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEifZfu20U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SBmeha10w
The second vid was so violent, you have to sign in to confirm your age. :lol: :lol:
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

If you don't like Gorgonzola, you don't like rugby.