Canada bans assault rifles.

All things Rugby
Nieghorn

Re: Canada bans assault rifles.

Post by Nieghorn »

Moosehead, are you a vegan?

I was reading about the meat processing plant outbreak recently and will admit I was a bit naive myself how they're processed ...
Cattle are led into what’s known as the knocking area, where they are hit in the head with a bolt gun meant to stun them. Then, using a knife, a worker will cut the throat of the animal to bleed it.

This work can be dangerous for employees, as the behaviour of a nervous animal is difficult to predict.
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longfor ... 9-outbreak
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Nieghorn wrote:Moosehead, are you a vegan?

I was reading about the meat processing plant outbreak recently and will admit I was a bit naive myself how they're processed ...
Cattle are led into what’s known as the knocking area, where they are hit in the head with a bolt gun meant to stun them. Then, using a knife, a worker will cut the throat of the animal to bleed it.

This work can be dangerous for employees, as the behaviour of a nervous animal is difficult to predict.
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longfor ... 9-outbreak
Not a vegan... but...Don't really eat red meat anymore.....
See how North American animals are raised / produced has really turned me off red meat.

A recent study of piglets published in the Journal of Animal Science by Purdue University scientist Elizabeth Petrosus found that when pigs are fed stress hormones such as cortisol or norepinephrine, their blood levels of these hormones spike, body temperatures rise and gut biomes shift. This poses some questions. How much cortisol or norepinephrine is lurking in our meat? Are these levels rising due to the stress put on animals by the food system? When we eat foods high in cortisol or norepinephrine, do our cortisol and norepinephrine levels spike? Since we know that long-term use of prednisone, a medicinal form of cortisol, is associated with higher rates of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and obesity, could stress hormones in our foods be a mechanistic link between modern diets and the growing epidemic of diabetes, hypertension, and obesity?

https://www.worth.com/stress-is-edible- ... od-system/
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
moosehead wrote:Yes, I've shot a black bear before. Went on my first black bear hunt when I was a teenager. The meat can be very good if prepared properly and depending on the time of year. In case you've missed the part about my family running a hunting and fishing camp. My Great Uncle even took a few celebs hunting, they shall remain nameless for obvious reasons.

What percentage of your first shot are a clean kill....
What percentage of your first shot wounds the bear and makes it suffer..... Do you support cruelty of animals ?

Having rich tourists pay your family stupid money to torture animals in Canada is not the kind of money that i would ever want to receive.....
Nobody is torturing any animals. The hypocrisy of your posts is quite hilarious. If I was First Nations, you'd probably be praising me for practicing the old ways.

Like I said, nearly 400 years on this continent buddy. My family originally settled in New Amsterdam and then moved to Canada during the American Revolution because we were loyal to the Crown. We have been hunting and fishing on this land since that time and will continue to do so.

Forgive us for showing others how to live off the land cleanly and running a business as well. Save your rage for evil food corporations who actually treat animals like shit.
I'm not going to apologize for hunting or fishing. I like my meat, fresh.
Floppykid wrote:Are they only hunted during sanctioned and necessary culls?
If it makes the hunter feel like a big man then, it's weird I guess but harmless enough.

If it's just because the hunter want to eat bear meat, well.....
Hunting Black Bear occurs in the spring and fall of the year. You get a license with a tag allocation that tells you where you can hunt. You can have a maximum of two licenses a year but can't get a second until you successfully bag a bear.

Outfitters who run a business get issued a certain number of licenses that they can issue, usually to non-residents who they will guide. Non-residents can also enter a randomized lottery draw.

It's a heavily regulated and controlled activity. It's done sustainably and ethically.
?

...And definitely requires an assault rifle.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

message #2527204 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
moosehead wrote:Yes, I've shot a black bear before. Went on my first black bear hunt when I was a teenager. The meat can be very good if prepared properly and depending on the time of year. In case you've missed the part about my family running a hunting and fishing camp. My Great Uncle even took a few celebs hunting, they shall remain nameless for obvious reasons.

What percentage of your first shot are a clean kill....
What percentage of your first shot wounds the bear and makes it suffer..... Do you support cruelty of animals ?

Having rich tourists pay your family stupid money to torture animals in Canada is not the kind of money that i would ever want to receive.....
Nobody is torturing any animals. The hypocrisy of your posts is quite hilarious. If I was First Nations, you'd probably be praising me for practicing the old ways.

Like I said, nearly 400 years on this continent buddy. My family originally settled in New Amsterdam and then moved to Canada during the American Revolution because we were loyal to the Crown. We have been hunting and fishing on this land since that time and will continue to do so.

Forgive us for showing others how to live off the land cleanly and running a business as well. Save your rage for evil food corporations who actually treat animals like shit.
I'm not going to apologize for hunting or fishing. I like my meat, fresh.
Floppykid wrote:Are they only hunted during sanctioned and necessary culls?
If it makes the hunter feel like a big man then, it's weird I guess but harmless enough.

If it's just because the hunter want to eat bear meat, well.....
Hunting Black Bear occurs in the spring and fall of the year. You get a license with a tag allocation that tells you where you can hunt. You can have a maximum of two licenses a year but can't get a second until you successfully bag a bear.

Outfitters who run a business get issued a certain number of licenses that they can issue, usually to non-residents who they will guide. Non-residents can also enter a randomized lottery draw.

It's a heavily regulated and controlled activity. It's done sustainably and ethically.
?

Absolutely. No chance of killing a bear if you can’t select automatic.

You do know actual assault rifles are not merely semi-auto, right? And that they were not legally available to the vast majority even before the new laws, right? You did actually know that didn’t you, smeggage?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:
earl the beaver wrote: Why do people make these false equivalences?

In places like the UK and Aus where gun ownership is highly regulated and assault weapons illegal why does gun crime rate drop? Why are assault weapons so expensive to be illegally purchased that they are prohibitively expensive to the type of nut job who wants one to shoot up a school?

It's not fúcking coincidence.
There is no statistical correlation between gun ownership and violent crime. Some countries where gun ownership is prohibited have incredibly high rates of violence while others with very high gun ownership have no crime.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php ... 4555757616

I crunched the numbers myself just to be certain I wasn't falling prey to my own biases.
That is true, some places are lawless shit holes regardless of the gun laws.

However, what you can draw a comparison to are western countries who have introduced more stringent regulation of firearms (the UK and Aus being prime examples) where gun crime has reduced as a result of the regulation, that isn't coincidence.
Be nice if you could back that up with some statistics. The homicide rate in the UK is rising, as well there are countries that have very high levels of firearms ownership that have lower homicide rates than any English speaking country.

Violence is a cultural and social issue, firearms can be a tool but they aren't the real issue.

I personally think letting kids sit at home playing violent video games is far more dangerous than any firearm ever will be. Or how about the bullshit gangbanger culture that promotes violence, misogyny and anti-authoritarianism?

Nobody is saying we should ban people playing GTA or listening to NWA.

We've got our priorities all backwards. We try and attack symptoms rather than the root causes.
Absolute bullshit, numerous politicians with backwards attitudes have gone after video games and been shown to be wrong time and time again.

As for stats:

Homicides involving firearms before Dunblane
1993 - 75
1994 - 75
1995 - 81
Dunblane and subsequent Firearms Act
2014-15 - 20
2015-16 - 20
2016-17 - 27

Violent Crime:

1991 - 2900 reported incidents
1993 - 3768 reported incidents
1995 - 4464 reported incidents
Dunblane and Subsequent Firearms Act
2014 - 1562 reported incidents
2015 - 1726 reported incidents
2016 - 1468 reported incidents

Unfortunately the UK crime in England and Wales Report doesn't include data on firearms offences prior to 2003 anymore so I can't outline that with official statistics, however, the rise in firearms offences rate between 1996 and 2000 is attributed to a change in reporting of gun crime at the time to include imitation/replica/airgun etc.

Similarly the increase in homicide rate is skewed by Howard Shipman, who killed 173 people over the course of 30 years but who's victims were recorded in 2003.

I'm sure it's all coincidence though and gun regulation has no impact on gun crime or homicides :roll:

How about we look at Australia?

Mass shootings in Australia (5 or more people killed) 1978-1996 - 13
Mass shootings in Australia (5 or more people killed) 1996-2018 - 0

More coincidence I'm sure.
Last edited by earl the beaver on Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlos_c

Post by carlos_c »

I personally think letting kids sit at home playing violent video games is far more dangerous than any firearm ever will be. Or how about the bullshit gangbanger culture that promotes violence, misogyny and anti-authoritarianism?
As someone who was a teenager in th e70's - this is bullshit.
General violence in society was much higher - I had a a huge number of fist fight - football violence, school punch ups etc were rife. Kids were bored and beat each other up. Now your average kid plays video games - they are off the streets. In certain groups stabbings has increased but background run of the mill violence is so much lower.
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

message #2527204 wrote:
Fat Albert wrote:An observation from my time working with the police statistically.
Which just goes to prove that gun bans are about elections rather than children's lives and that voters (and forum contributors) are pig ignorant hipocrits.
What a load of f**king shit. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Are you honestly saying that a lunatic going on a shooting spree with a tool that is conceived and manufactured with the sole intention of it being able to kill people rapidly and efficiently is like a road traffic accident?
No, perhaps I need you to illustrate exactly, using the text from my post, where I said that

My post referred to the hand gun ban used by Bliar/Mandleson to generate political advantage (i.e. win an election) in the full and complete knowledge that the ban would not reduce the ability of a deranged lunatic to kill large numbers of children. As I understand the Canadian ban, automatic weapons were already restricted to a maximum of 5 bullets so the killing spree nightmare you allude to is just that, a fantasy.

The prevalence of guns in a society is not, in itself, THE risk factor otherwise Switzerland would have no children at all...

Every day in the UK thousands of children are collected by the parents of one child on behalf of other childrens parents, spend one afternoon watching and you'll see just how many are restrained when they're driven off. In my view, carrying someone else's unrestrained child in your vehicle is much more than a traffic violation, but hey, each to his own.
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Canadian_Rugger wrote:...

Or how about the bullshit gangbanger culture that promotes violence, misogyny and anti-authoritarianism?

Nobody is saying we should ban people playing GTA or listening to NWA.

We've got our priorities all backwards. We try and attack symptoms rather than the root causes.
I agree with the last sentiment

Inappropriate behaviour by young people is a symptom, inappropriate people becoming parents is the disease

I fail to understand why, to borrow a book from a library a person needs a permanent address, to drive a car on the road a person must pass a written and practical examination but to take on the greatest responsibility of all, bring a child into the world, all a person has to do is take their clothes off
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Fat Albert wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Fat Albert wrote:An observation from my time working with the police statistically.
Which just goes to prove that gun bans are about elections rather than children's lives and that voters (and forum contributors) are pig ignorant hipocrits.
What a load of f**king shit. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Are you honestly saying that a lunatic going on a shooting spree with a tool that is conceived and manufactured with the sole intention of it being able to kill people rapidly and efficiently is like a road traffic accident?
No, perhaps I need you to illustrate exactly, using the text from my post, where I said that

My post referred to the hand gun ban used by Bliar/Mandleson to generate political advantage (i.e. win an election) in the full and complete knowledge that the ban would not reduce the ability of a deranged lunatic to kill large numbers of children. As I understand the Canadian ban, automatic weapons were already restricted to a maximum of 5 bullets so the killing spree nightmare you allude to is just that, a fantasy.

The prevalence of guns in a society is not, in itself, THE risk factor otherwise Switzerland would have no children at all...

Every day in the UK thousands of children are collected by the parents of one child on behalf of other childrens parents, spend one afternoon watching and you'll see just how many are restrained when they're driven off. In my view, carrying someone else's unrestrained child in your vehicle is much more than a traffic violation, but hey, each to his own.
If anyone put my kid in a car without a seatbelt I'd get my army assault rifle and do them and their family.

The Swiss are trained by the army and lock their guns away, the yanks pump their kids full of macho tales of righteous retribution from TV and Hollywood, then sell them f**king army grade weapons in walmart.
The prevalence is not THE risk factor. Idiocy and greed is.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Isn't FA english?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

message #2527204 wrote:If anyone put my kid in a car without a seatbelt I'd get my army assault rifle and do them and their family.

The Swiss are trained by the army and lock their guns away, the yanks pump their kids full of macho tales of righteous retribution from TV and Hollywood,
Nice.
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

MungoMan wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
?

You do know actual assault rifles are not merely semi-auto, right? And that they were not legally available to the vast majority even before the new laws, right? You did actually know that didn’t you, smeggage?
How did people hunt them before semi-automatic rifles? Genuinely interested as an ex-hunter, or were they crack shots?
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Enzedder wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
?

How did people hunt them before semi-automatic rifles? Genuinely interested as an ex-hunter, or were they crack shots?
Of course semi autos are not needed for hunting..... but they are way cooler for losers to show off with in their basement in front of the occassional friend they get over to their place...

Also cooler to show off with their fellow militia members.... and way more effective for the zombi apocolypse that is on its way... They want the same weapon they see on old Walking dead episodes...
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

My question was rhetorical - they are not needed, just wanted.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

You don't understand, people need to hunt black bears, real bad.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Enzedder wrote:How did people hunt them before semi-automatic rifles? Genuinely interested as an ex-hunter, or were they crack shots?
Like this I imagine.

moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Mr Mike wrote:
Enzedder wrote:How did people hunt them before semi-automatic rifles? Genuinely interested as an ex-hunter, or were they crack shots?
Like this I imagine.

You realize the stunt man in that move ... inside the bear costume... was a guy that used to play rugby on the same uni team as me....

hint - he went on to play pro in Japan. He played number 8 for Canada.

Just sayin.....
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

moosehead wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Like this I imagine.

You realize the stunt man in that move ... inside the bear costume... was a guy that used to play rugby on the same uni team as me....

hint - he went on to play pro in Japan. He played number 8 for Canada.

Just sayin.....
Great player, loved by the fairer sex.

I was going to post him in the "good looking XV" or whatever the thread was called.