30 for 30

All things Rugby
sewa

30 for 30

Post by sewa »

The only thing Lance is on is his bike, busting his ass 6 hours a day :lol:

Anyway the big doping documentary is coming up, should be good watching for those of us who don't wear lycra and maybe even for some who do
Nieghorn

Re: 30 for 30

Post by Nieghorn »

I liked the one about Greg LeMond.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

So much awesomeness in one sports doc series.

“Once brothers” is amazing, as are most of them.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

is this a new one coming up ? i don't remember anything about lance in the old series

LE: yep, a new one, just saw the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsakV8RzZo

something to look forward to, after the jordan one finishes next week
Last edited by Akkerman on Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Yeah, its the next one coming up
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I can't stand Lance Armstrong. Think I'll give it a miss. It'll just put me in a bad mood.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I'm cheesed off that they don't seem to be releasing them on DVD any more. I own the first two seasons and like having the boxed set to go through (especially as I have dodgy rural internet).
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Tehui wrote:I can't stand Lance Armstrong. Think I'll give it a miss. It'll just put me in a bad mood.
+1
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

“Broke” was an eye opener.
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

Tehui wrote:I can't stand Lance Armstrong. Think I'll give it a miss. It'll just put me in a bad mood.
I had to go through about 4 years of my father in law chastising me for having no soul because I dared to suggest Lance was juiced. "If you read his books you would understand". Of course, because who is a more objective source than Lance himself.

When the shit hit the fan and he was revealed to not only be a fraud but a bad human being, I got "they all cheat and Lance is still the best so I support him. I'm glad I'm not a cynic like you."

I'd already done the same dance with Sosa/McGwire.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

OttawaKat wrote:
I had to go through about 4 years of my father in law chastising me for having no soul because I dared to suggest Lance was juiced. "If you read his books you would understand". Of course, because who is a more objective source than Lance himself.

When the shit hit the fan and he was revealed to not only be a fraud but a bad human being, I got "they all cheat and Lance is still the best so I support him. I'm glad I'm not a cynic like you."

No offence to you mr / mrs, but your FIL is an absolute bell.
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

jdogscoop wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:

Don't get me started...
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

OttawaKat wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:

Don't get me started...
"Perceptive insight is often mistaken for cynicism by those who do not possess it"

[edit]
Something else I find particularly depressing is that I know a number of people who took up cycling because of Lance Armstrong and at least one of them took it really badly when he was found out.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

dinsdale wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:

Don't get me started...
"Perceptive insight is often mistaken for cynicism by those who do not possess it"

[edit]
Something else I find particularly depressing is that I know a number of people who took up cycling because of Lance Armstrong and at least one of them took it really badly when he was found out.
Funnily enough; I was in the Nike Employees store in Oregon a couple of weeks after he did his 'interview', on Oprah. The amount of live strong tat they still had, allbeit, in the discount bin, was amazing.

Nike really is a nexus of evil in Sports, & a completely amoral company, even by multinational company standard.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I'm not totally against Lance. They all did drugs and IMO many more past champions did it and got away from it.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

I really enjoyed The Best There Never Was http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page ... -never-was
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Watched 42 to 1 the other night. Buster Douglas is such a humble dude. Now gives free boxing lessons for kids at rec centers in Columbus.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Was he the one that got caught?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

You Don’t know Bo

:thumbup:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Enzedder wrote:
Was he the one that got caught?
Wasn't he one of the many who got caught but we have to pretend differently so we can focus all our indignation on him?
Red Revolution

Post by Red Revolution »

CrazyIslander wrote:I'm not totally against Lance. They all did drugs and IMO many more past champions did it and got away from it.
I think the difference with Lance is that he'd hound people through the courts and elsewhere when they made accusations, ruining a few livelihoods and possibly some lifes.

Also he made Dodgeball odd when his scene pops up and he gives his peptalk.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I'm not exactly sure what points some people on this thread are trying to make, but my take on it is this:

- Armstrong is a drug cheat
- Armstrong is also a bully and a cunt
- Many other cyclists were also drug cheats
- An athlete is innocent until proven to have used illicit drugs (if somebody wants to assert that they all cheated, please put up the proof)
- I don't care if the athlete was Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt, Richie McCaw or Donald Bradman, if they used illegal drugs to enhance performance, they are dead to me, their sporting achievements now mean nothing, and I don't want to hear any excuses from / for them.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Red Revolution wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:I'm not totally against Lance. They all did drugs and IMO many more past champions did it and got away from it.
I think the difference with Lance is that he'd hound people through the courts and elsewhere when they made accusations, ruining a few livelihoods and possibly some lifes.

Also he made Dodgeball odd when his scene pops up and he gives his peptalk.
Fair enough and I don't think he's a good guy. But a cyclist in those days would be using drugs from junior level just to get up to being a professional. So, it was a well shared secret amongst all competitors. So for other cyclists to come out and single out Armstrong is a bit much.

It's all well and good for the public to prefer their cyclists clean. A cyclist was only doing what everyone else was doing.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Tehui wrote:I'm not exactly sure what points some people on this thread are trying to make, but my take on it is this:

- An athlete is innocent until proven to have used illicit drugs (if somebody wants to assert that they all cheated, please put up the proof)
- I don't care if the athlete was Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt, Richie McCaw or Donald Bradman, if they used illegal drugs to enhance performance, they are dead to me, their sporting achievements now mean nothing, and I don't want to hear any excuses from / for them.
I think the point is, most TDF riders in his era were drug cheats, and most of them got caught, but Armstrong is still the big bad of cycling. It's not saying 'he's' any less of a drug cheat, but he's one of many and that often gets overlooked.

It's not defending Armstrong.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

UncleFB wrote:
Tehui wrote:I'm not exactly sure what points some people on this thread are trying to make, but my take on it is this:

I think the point is, most TDF riders in his era were drug cheats, and most of them got caught, but Armstrong is still the big bad of cycling. It's not saying 'he's' any less of a drug cheat, but he's one of many and that often gets overlooked.

The way I see it, it's a reflection of the hero / zero dichotomy. The athlete who receives the most attention during success, usually receives the most attention during failure. It is what it is.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I enjoyed the "Bad boys" Pistons 30/30.

There was also one about another basketball comp rivaling the NBA. The NBA offered four clubs including the Pacers to join them. Those clubs had to pay of St Louis iirc owners to leave that comp. The pay off was 17% of TV revenue for those 4 clubs forever.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

CrazyIslander wrote:I enjoyed the "Bad boys" Pistons 30/30.

There was also one about another basketball comp rivaling the NBA. The NBA offered four clubs including the Pacers to join them. Those clubs had to pay of St Louis iirc owners to leave that comp. The pay off was 17% of TV revenue for those 4 clubs forever.
Was that about the ABA comp of the 70s, or something else?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Tehui wrote:

Yeah that one iirc
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Yeah that one iirc
I'll have to check it out. I wouldn't mind hearing about Dr J in his prime.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

I almost don't care if he cheated, it's still an amazing physical achievement to a) complete the Tour b) win the Tour c) win it 6 times.

He still had to physically climb into the saddle and get the job done, juiced or no. But yeah, it's not great that he lied through his teeth and cheated like fudge.

I'm trying to think of any 30 for 30s that I didn't enjoy... they are all really well done, I think. There's a few I haven't seen but so far I've enjoyed them all. Run Ricky Run is awesome... all of the college basketball ones are great...
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Lance Armstrong cycling god
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

But cunt of a person ...
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

that reminds me, I have a couple of books to burn
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

UncleFB wrote:

It's what he did to other people that elevates him.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Against the wind is another great one, the story of Terry Fox
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:I almost don't care if he cheated, it's still an amazing physical achievement to a) complete the Tour b) win the Tour c) win it 6 times.

He still had to physically climb into the saddle and get the job done, juiced or no. But yeah, it's not great that he lied through his teeth and cheated like fudge.

I'm trying to think of any 30 for 30s that I didn't enjoy... they are all really well done, I think. There's a few I haven't seen but so far I've enjoyed them all. Run Ricky Run is awesome... all of the college basketball ones are great...
There are clean cyclists more talented than Lance. They just didn't have a career because he and others cheated.

I'm with Nicole Cooke on this. If you cheated to win then you have stolen somebody else's livelihood. It's the same as theft and you should be prosecuted.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

dinsdale wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:I almost don't care if he cheated, it's still an amazing physical achievement to a) complete the Tour b) win the Tour c) win it 6 times.

There are clean cyclists more talented than Lance. They just didn't have a career because he and others cheated.

I'm with Nicole Cooke on this. If you cheated to win then you have stolen somebody else's livelihood. It's the same as theft and you should be prosecuted.
They all cheated mate. You wouldn't even make pro cycling if you didn't cheat.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

CrazyIslander wrote:
dinsdale wrote:

They all cheated mate. You wouldn't even make pro cycling if you didn't cheat.
That's the whole fücking point which you have now missed - twice.

The non cheats had a career stolen from them by the cheats.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

9.79* is another great one.