'Super Rugby' to restart in NZ on June 13th

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

'Super Rugby' to restart in NZ on June 13th

Post by Ali's Choice »

NZR has announced that it's professional season will resume with a 10 Super Rugby week, 5 team comp featuring its existing five SR franchises. A date hasn't been set for a return, but it could be sooner rather than later. Training and playing will be able to resume once the government's restrictions ease to level 2. Great to see NZR with some concrete plans for a restart and I hope this comp is televised in Australia.

Professional sport closer to green light under alert level 2
Richard Knowler
14:24, May 07 2020

Professional sport is edging closer to making a return under Covid-19.

On Thursday the Government unveiled its proposals under alert level 2 raising hopes that fans - albeit from the comfort of their lounge chairs - will be able to watch sport once again.

Cabinet will make its final decision on whether New Zealand will move from level 3 to 2 on Monday and although the change will not be immediate, professional sports competitions will be poised to relaunch once given the green light.

Rugby and netball are among the codes set to benefit most from the protocols, with all competitions suspended because of the pandemic.

Super Rugby, which is likely to be played in a domestic format over 10 weeks and won’t start until mid-June at the earliest, and the ANZ Premiership netball competition are the most high-profile tournaments that will restart under level 2.

The Warriors, who play in the NRL, have already relocated to Tamworth in New South Wales and will play their matches in Australia in the foreseeable future.

Football Federation Australia is readying itself to restart its competition, having advised clubs to prepare for a resumption in one central location - probably Sydney - in August.

Indoor and outdoor gatherings will be limited to a maximum of 100 people. Although Kiwis will be permitted to travel further out of their bubbles, the doors will not be opened for sports events.

NZ Rugby CEO Mark Robinson confirmed players would need three to four weeks to adequately prepare with contact training before matches could commence but was hopeful games in a "best case scenario'' would be played next month.

"I know the players would prefer to be playing in front of our fans, but the health and safety of Kiwis must come first,'' Robinson said.

He stressed that the health and safety of everyone involved was our number one priority.

“While we want to see our game up and running as soon as possible, we won’t make decisions that will put anyone at risk. We have always said we will take the Government’s lead on when it is safe to return.”

A working group made up of players, Investec Super Rugby clubs, Provincial Unions, the NZRPA and NZR had considered all the possible competition options and timings which were dependent on when alert levels dropped and rugby could resume.

Robinson said they were still working through the details of the Mitre 10 Cup and Farah Palmer Cup competitions, but they wanted to preserve the integrity of these competitions where they could.

A decision on the All Blacks series in July against Wales and Scotland will be made in the next fortnight.

On Thursday morning New Zealand Rugby Players Association boss Rob Nichol warned Super Rugby clubs could not expect to assemble for at least a couple of days if level 2 is declared on Monday.

He was of the view that professional sport should be played at level 2.

Sights such as this will be welcomed under level 2. Abigail Latu-Meafou of the Magic shoots under pressure from Katrina Rore of the Pulse during an ANZ Premiership game last year.
GETTY-IMAGES
Sights such as this will be welcomed under level 2. Abigail Latu-Meafou of the Magic shoots under pressure from Katrina Rore of the Pulse during an ANZ Premiership game last year.
"We've done significant risk assessment work, significant return to training and playing protocol,'' Nichol said.

"We've got things ready to go. I am very confident that our environments and our people will operate in a way, both within the playing and training environment, but also within their personal lives, that would actually be at a higher level than level 2.''

Nichol said the protocols around athletes, the cameramen, officials, trainers and coaches will ensure that in their personal lives they will be operating at a level higher than most.

''The risk associated with a cluster or community transmission occurring in those environments when everyone is going to be temperature tested every day, monitored, instant 24-7 access to medical personnel, the risk of an outbreak is so low, to be perfectly honest, that I think it would be very difficult to say that you could not play professional sport at level 2,'' he said.

"I think it should be allowed, the athletes think it should be allowed."

NZ Rugby and NZ Netball will welcome the proposed changes, and provided they are approved, it will enable them to give broadcasters content to beam out to viewers.

Netball New Zealand Chief Executive Jennie Wyllie said the organisation was pleased to be given permission to move forward with the return of the country’s elite domestic competition at level 2.

“Both netball and rugby have been working closely with the Government on what training and playing at level two could look like, and a return to play plan for the ANZ Premiership will be underway once the Government confirms the country is ready to move to level two,” she said.

“We have always said we will take the Government’s lead on when it is safe to return and now our focus turns to ensuring we have a safe environment for that to happen.”

Sport and Recreation Minister Grant Robertson said it was "paramount'' the return to competitive professional sport was done safely.

Become a Stuff supporter today for as little as $1 to help our local news teams bring you reliable, independent news you can trust.

Contribute Noworange-arrow
"This means ensuring there are systems in place to implement public health measures such as contact tracing and hygiene requirements to create a safe environment,” Robertson said.

"This will mean some modifications to training, play and competition will be necessary, and Sport NZ is working with the major sporting codes and WorkSafe on how these are put into practice.''

Robertson said some sports will be able to return to play more quickly than others while the necessary health requirements, modifications and restrictions on non-essential inter-regional travel are worked through.

“Sports bodies are putting in a lot of work to get the pro-sport leagues going. But let me be clear that competitions will only start when all the public health guidelines are met, so we will continue to support these sports as they work through the necessary requirements to resume play safely.”

Stuff
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Mon May 11, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Re: 'Super Rugby' to restart in NZ soon

Post by Anonymous 1 »

:thumbup:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

I guarantee it will be broadcast in Australia, with Fox Sports desperate for content and still holding the Super Rugby rights for this year...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm guessing this will be run as a stand alone comp, with no carry over points from the SR comp that was partially completed? That would be understandable given it's effectively a completely different comp, just with the same NZ teams. With no tests, this and a potential North Island vs South Island game will be the pinnacle of Rugby for 2020 for NZ rugby fans.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I hope it is broadcast here.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote:I'm guessing this will be run as a stand alone comp, with no carry over points from the SR comp that was partially completed? That would be understandable given it's effectively a completely different comp, just with the same NZ teams. With no tests, this and a potential North Island vs South Island game will be the pinnacle of Rugby for 2020 for NZ rugby fans.
Like a rain shower in the desert, absolutely totally welcome.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I'm guessing this will be run as a stand alone comp, with no carry over points from the SR comp that was partially completed? That would be understandable given it's effectively a completely different comp, just with the same NZ teams. With no tests, this and a potential North Island vs South Island game will be the pinnacle of Rugby for 2020 for NZ rugby fans.
Live sports without crowds isn't ideal, but I will be watching every game of this comp, even those not featuring the Crusaders.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Dust off the bandwagon, it's the Blues year this year!

Wonder if the lack of games this year will help extend a couple of players careers - or will players get ground to dust as unions try and get as many games in as soon as international travel is available
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Who wants to put a wager on the condition that Akira Ioane will be in?

Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Live sports without crowds isn't ideal, but I will be watching every game of this comp, even those not featuring the Crusaders.
:lol: Geez that a big call AC, EVEN the Crusader's games, hell you must be desperate. :lol:
Suppose that means I will have to watch the Canes!!

Like you I can't bloody wait, and I thinking it a new comp too so start points again. Geez it be a bloody brutal comp all NZ derbies, and if they follow that with a North/South (oh yes please) I thinking there will be some battered players around!! I agree North/South would be pinnacle game for kiwis even if there a Bledisloe series in November as seems a bit of a hope, and maybe something against some PI teams as being thrown around!
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

5 teams playing each other four times what a boring shit comp
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Peaches wrote:5 teams playing each other four times what a boring shit comp
Don't watch then and piss off out of the thread then you grinch.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Peaches wrote:5 teams playing each other four times what a boring shit comp
Are you on Meth?

10 weeks means they would play each other twice, home and away. With two by rounds given the odd number of teams. If you are going troll, please at least make sure your Maths is at a Year 1 standard?
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

When Jacinda announced we were allowed to travel domestically I jumped up and yelled and fist pumped. When she said rugby could resume, I shed some tears. I didn't think I'd be that emotional but it brought me a sense of joy I haven't felt in weeks. Out of context I wouldn't be so enthused with the 5 NZ teams playing each other, but considering what we have been through, I'll take whatever I can get and I can't wait for it to start up.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:Who wants to put a wager on the condition that Akira Ioane will be in?

:lol:

Why do you hate your cousin so much AC, did he steal the last of the taro and corn beef?
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Ali's Choice wrote:Who wants to put a wager on the condition that Akira Ioane will be in?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Hitting the pool preparing for the comeback.

Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

UncleFB wrote: Why do you hate your cousin so much AC, did he steal the last of the taro and corn beef?
Nah, the fat fudge stole ALL of it :x :x :x
Sards

Post by Sards »

Kiwias wrote:
I just don't know how they can do it honestly...

Besides the obvious transfer of body liquids, with winter approaching all that vapour thats going to be generated at scrums and lineouts..........
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

Besides the obvious transfer of body liquids, with winter approaching all that vapour thats going to be generated at scrums and lineouts..........
It's the benefit of operating in a country like NZ with extremely low rates of COVID 19 infection.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Slim 293 wrote:I guarantee it will be broadcast in Australia, with Fox Sports desperate for content and still holding the Super Rugby rights for this year...
To be honest I would be relaxed if it wasn't on Fox, then we would be able to get rugby pass here in Oz, and I wouldn't have to have Fox or any of it's offshoots, as I watch bugger all else in sport!!
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

So, 1 game every Friday and Saturday night to keep the fans and the broadcasters happy. I'll take that - then the league as well to fill in the time - thank God.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

What will be cool about this comp is that all the players will be on roughly a level playing field in terms of preparation and conditioning.

Normally in NZ Super Rugby squads, 60-70% of the players have full off-seasons, plus some pre-season games, and hit the ground running hard when the SR season begins. These are typically players who do not play All Black or NZ Maori Rugby.

The other 30-40% of players, who play rep footy, have virtually no off season, no pre-season matches, and are playing catch up for much of the SR season. This is why there are always early season calls for the previously unheralded player x or player y to make the AB's, because they are outshining their All Black teammates, only for their form to fall away and turn to shit as the season progresses.

For this comp all players will be starting on a level playing field, and I find that both intriguing and exciting.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Ali's Choice wrote:What will be cool about this comp is that all the players will be on roughly a level playing field in terms of preparation and conditioning.

Normally in NZ Super Rugby squads, 60-70% of the players have full off-seasons, plus some pre-season games, and hit the ground running hard when the SR season begins. These are typically players who do not play All Black or NZ Maori Rugby.

The other 30-40% of players, who play rep footy, have virtually no off season, no pre-season matches, and are playing catch up for much of the SR season. This is why there are always early season calls for the previously unheralded player x or player y to make the AB's, because they are outshining their All Black teammates, only for their form to fall away and turn to shit as the season progresses.

For this comp all players will be starting on a level playing field, and I find that both intriguing and exciting.
Really hoping that there is no message from nzr saying certain players can only play so many games in a row with an eye on making sure they are in shape for a November tour
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Monkey Magic wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:What will be cool about this comp is that all the players will be on roughly a level playing field in terms of preparation and conditioning.

Really hoping that there is no message from nzr saying certain players can only play so many games in a row with an eye on making sure they are in shape for a November tour
:lol: if that happens my brain will explode
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Not sure why the infatuation with Akira. He's been on the bench most of the season.

Waisake's boy is the new hope!
Hoskins is still first-choice for now.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Auckman wrote:Not sure why the infatuation with Akira. He's been on the bench most of the season.
Actually he's been left out of the XXIII more than he's been on the bench.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Auckman wrote:Not sure why the infatuation with Akira. He's been on the bench most of the season.
Actually he's been left out of the XXIII more than he's been on the bench.

I cant remember...did he play against the Sharks...
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Sards wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

It's the benefit of operating in a country like NZ with extremely low rates of COVID 19 infection.
Probably because of your love of animals , especially sheep...most likely developed an immunity after years of genetic engineering to animal transmitted deseases
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote:Probably because of your love of animals , especially sheep...most likely developed an immunity ....
Cool story bro :thumbup:
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Sards wrote:Probably because of your love of animals , especially sheep...most likely developed an immunity ....
have you been watching those two ladies from Mt. Isa doing MKR Australia....everytime I see them ( the wife watches it at night )...I think about how proud you must feel...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
have you been watching those two ladies from Mt. Isa doing MKR Australia....everytime I see them ( the wife watches it at night )...I think about how proud you must feel...
Why would I feel proud?
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

I'd personally prefer they sacked off SR and just concentrated on provincial rugby. The whole 5 team thing feels a bit forced.

That being said I guess there are commercial considerations in play.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Sards wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Why would I feel proud?
Dude...you have more of a physical connection to Mt. Isa than you do to the Crusaders who you are adoringly proud of...its part of your roots dude. you cant just deny it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote:Dude...you have more of a physical connection to Mt. Isa than you do to the Crusaders who you are adoringly proud of...its part of your roots dude. you cant just deny it.
:?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Sards wrote:Dude...you have more of a physical connection to Mt. Isa than you do to the Crusaders who you are adoringly proud of...its part of your roots dude. you cant just deny it.
:?
that bad huh............?
assfly

Post by assfly »

I for one welcome this development. Kudos to NZ for the exemplary way in which they dealt with the virus. I gladly welcome the idea of finally having rugby back on the TV on a Saturday, even if it is only teams from the 3rd best test side in the world.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

20 games across 10 weeks suggests that there will be no final - rather it will just be a soccer style competition, with the winner being the top of the table.

If that's the case, I think I'd prefer it to be without bonus points for the main table ranking:

3 points for a win
1 point for a draw

Bonus points to be calculated as normal, but not included in your points tally on the table - stored in a separate column and only applied as a tie breaker if two teams finish the season on the same points. (i.e. you can't win the competition with less wins/draws than the team that comes second).
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

assfly wrote:I for one welcome this development. Kudos to NZ for the exemplary way in which they dealt with the virus. I gladly welcome the idea of finally having rugby back on the TV on a Saturday, even if it is only teams from the 3rd best test side in the world.
If you pay attention you might be able to figure out a way to win games against us ;)

And its second best test side :x
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

It will be good to have something to watch and all in local timezone, but other than that, meh.
The NRLs Lord of the Flies reality show will be where its at, those meatheads won't be able to keep it together for a whole season.