PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am 

So good

https://youtu.be/x6E0Z8wqNDQ

https://youtu.be/x6E0Z8wqNDQ

https://youtu.be/9EKi2E9dVY8

https://youtu.be/nWK0kqjPSVI

Post subject: Re: Layne Staley
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 am 

He was class. Just got back into music of my teenage years after decades of electronica. Still prefer the latter now but am very much enjoying Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction et al while out running. My bird at the time thought I looked like Staley and I certainly had that hard night blond locks vibe

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:41 am 

Layne, Chris Cornell or Scott Weiland?

Tbf - all 3 of them were phenomenal voices.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:53 am 

He had a fab voice, another talent wasted by drugs.

If I was a WWF wrestler, my theme tune entrance would be Sickman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:

Staley could warble a touch too much for me at times, but songs like Down In A Hole are gloriously depressing tunes and very powerful. Weiland helped produce 2 1/2 pretty damn good STP albums. But Velvet Revolver were poor and middle of the road rock in all of those blokes careers. His downhill slide on the D Rugs was quite public at times. There’s footage of him looking like a drugged up pub singer at best with some unknown backing band https://youtu.be/be3Tw0f5VxY

Cornell was easily the most talented songwriter, musician and singer of the three. Early-mid Soundgarden was very influential to me. But he also wrote this https://youtu.be/_pcWbnQDMD0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm 

Layne Stanley, meh. Cornell was talented but I never got into Soundgarden, they just never did it for me. STP would be an easy pick for me of the three.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm 

Harveys wrote:
Layne Stanley, meh. Cornell was talented but I never got into Soundgarden, they just never did it for me. STP would be an easy pick for me of the three.

STP have the fewest great tracks by quite a distance

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Staley could warble a touch too much for me at times, but songs like Down In A Hole are gloriously depressing tunes and very powerful. Weiland helped produce 2 1/2 pretty damn good STP albums. But Velvet Revolver were poor and middle of the road rock in all of those blokes careers. His downhill slide on the D Rugs was quite public at times. There’s footage of him looking like a drugged up pub singer at best with some unknown backing band https://youtu.be/be3Tw0f5VxY

Cornell was easily the most talented songwriter, musician and singer of the three. Early-mid Soundgarden was very influential to me. But he also wrote this https://youtu.be/_pcWbnQDMD0

Listening to Say hello to heaven is doubly sad nowadays :|

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm 

Yes, Temple of the Dog is also a cracking album. Cornell really churned out so much quality back then. The other two were more frontman/lyricists.

Personally, Louder Than Love / Badmotorfinger / Superunknown leave AIC & STP for dead.

I listened a lot to Jar Of Flies/Sap. Some of Dirt, and our high school band played Man In The Box :nod: but I never really got into anymore AIC.

Last edited by mr bungle on Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Yes, Temple of the Dog is also a cracking album. Cornell really churned out so much quality back then. The other two were more frontman/lyricists.

Personally, Louder Than Love / Badmotorfinger / Superunknown leave AIC & STP for dead.

Dirt/Jar of Flies/Sap were immense.

I'm glad I got to see his solo show at the Opera house - that was very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:56 pm 

I forget that Cantrell wrote a shitload of AIC lyrics too.

Always liked this one from Layne with Mad Season

https://youtu.be/V5Ok7_KFuZw

Didn’t seem to listen to what he was singing...

Quote:
Wake up young man, it's time to wake up
Your love affair has got to go, for ten long years
For ten long years, the leaves to rake up
Slow suicide's no way to go, oh

Last edited by mr bungle on Fri May 22, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:57 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Agree about CC no doubt. Layne still had the best voice for mine.

Anyway I've moved onto to Joe now 😁

https://youtu.be/UEHwO_UEp7A

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:03 pm 

EverReady wrote:
He was class. Just got back into music of my teenage years after decades of electronica. Still prefer the latter now but am very much enjoying Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction et al while out running.My bird at the time thought I looked like Staley and I certainly had that hard night blond locks vibe

Hehe :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
EverReady wrote:
He was class. Just got back into music of my teenage years after decades of electronica. Still prefer the latter now but am very much enjoying Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction et al while out running.My bird at the time thought I looked like Staley and I certainly had that hard night blond locks vibe

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 pm 

mr bungle wrote:

our high school band played Man In The Box :nod:

A full concert band!?!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

A full concert band!?!

While our high school did indeed have a concert band, they didn’t march in the North American sense. I was referring to a five piece rock band I played in.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
EverReady wrote:

See, that's why I like 70s rock and 90s Grunge. Even with my luxiariant mane, I can't for the life of me figure out to get hair like that :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm 

‘Five piece rock band’. Sounds so lame and in many ways it was. But it was fun and mostly just good mates hanging out alone in halls making loud music.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm 

Mat, your hair has zero volume, unfortunately :P

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Mat, your hair has zero volume, unfortunately :P

It's majestic :D

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Harveys wrote:

The first two STP albums are really solid though. I've been rediscovering this era recently and I was surprised by how much Core and Purple have held up.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
EverReady wrote:

See, that's why I like 70s rock and 90s Grunge. Even with my luxiariant mane, I can't for the life of me figure out to get hair like that :lol: :lol:

A dangerous amount of hairspray.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

A full concert band!?!

While our high school did indeed have a concert band, they didn’t march in the North American sense. I was referring to a five piece rock band I played in.

Ohhh ... "our" as in you and friends. Our school band was led by ex-hippies so they must have done some rock while I was there. I just can't remember any. Definitely no grunge, though.

If I were still working at a school in BC, I bet I could get the choir teacher to do something. When I was there, he had them doing some 80s New Wave like Thompson Twins and Tears for Fears as well as modern pop tunes. He was always open to arranging any song so long as it worked for a range of voices.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:

That Unplugged performance is the GOAT in that series IMO. Layne’s health was in decline at that point but he still had it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-scGZMgxp8

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 pm 

Rick Beato does some great nerdy breakdowns of songs. They can open you up to greater appreciation of the song-craft.

Them Bones

Man In The Box

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Magnificent tbf. I was more split ends and delusions of grandeur

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:04 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
‘Five piece rock band’. Sounds so lame and in many ways it was. But it was fun and mostly just good mates hanging out alone in halls making loud music.

Did you ever write anything? Our 3-7 piece rock band (depending on the day) never got past instrumental covers. No one wanted to sing :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Did you ever write anything? Our 3-7 piece rock band (depending on the day) never got past instrumental covers. No one wanted to sing :lol:

Ah, singing. It does seem like teenage boys shy away from that kind of vulnerability. I shied away from it to, though am actually not bad. I chickened out of music and chose art instead when I heard you had to do a solo singing test on day one.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm 

I am fairly certain if I had attempted to sing at high school I would have had no friends then or now. Probably no family either.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
I am fairly certain if I had attempted to sing at high school I would have had no friends then or now. Probably no family either.

:lol:

I remember our music teacher in elementary school having a rant about us not embracing singing and being willing to project. The teacher I mention above was always on his classes (who practiced in my library) about being too flat. If I were more confident / less worried about classmates, I might have been able to actually belt out tunes and learn more. Would we benefit from solo instruction rather than with the whole class watching/judging each other? I don't know ... that first teacher reckoned everyone could learn to be decent, at least.

... as I sit here by myself watcing Beato's video and doing a good job, if I do say so myself, of "Fee-ee-ee-ee-eed my eyyyyyes!" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:53 pm 

:lol: Yes I think frustrated music teachers is a common theme for many of us.

Thing is, singing is actually really fun and you can have any chick you want if you can do a serviceable job of with our without you (or basically any sentimental song) on an acoustic. Yet none of us were willing.

High school seems like a world of missed opportunities when I look back.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:24 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

:lol:

Maybe enough for half an album, 6 or 7 tracks. While you'd cringe listening back, you realise you were 16 and it wasn't bad in that light.

Here's the guitarist with his brother on drums in a vid made by another mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C368zvTv728

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

:lol: yep. The only ones willing to sing were usually giant blowhards too.

Willingness combined with actual talent are a pretty rare combination. Probably accounts for the fact that truly great vocalists are so rare.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 am 

I have a very good voice, but far too self conscious to get out front. Our high school singer had a pretty face and was knocking back three stiff gins before school at 14. Been all downhill for the bloke since then.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:18 am 

mr bungle wrote:
I have a very good voice

:lol: Sure you do.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 am 

I have a great voice but I fookin' HATE being the front person, you have to be some sort of self-indulgent twat to be any good at that. I tried singing lead in an originals band - we were very well reviewed - but I hated singing lead, HATED it. I try not to do too much of it in the party bands, but invariably I have to as we all try and help the lead singer have a break every now and again. I don't mind a bit of BVs, that can be fun - just don't aim the spotlight straight at me, it freaks me out.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:41 am 

Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
I have a very good voice

It’s not quite the inverse of your spectacularly shit taste in music but good enough for choirs and quartet groups. Christ, I was in a barbershop high school group, a dozen of us :lol: Vomiting before performances wasn’t really my thing so I didn’t wish to continue.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:30 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

The only ones willing to sing were usually giant blowhards too.

Willingness combined with actual talent are a pretty rare combination. Probably accounts for the fact that truly great vocalists are so rare.

That's not far off describing the leads / soloists I can think of during my years working in schools. The girls especially seemed to be the type the other girls hate. Aloof, has her small clique but she thinks she's better than them.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
I have a very good voice

It’s not quite the inverse of your spectacularly shit taste in music but good enough for choirs and quartet groups. Christ, I was in a barbershop high school group, a dozen of us :lol: Vomiting before performances wasn’t really my thing so I didn’t wish to continue.

I'll post the latest tune I'm working on in the other thread so you can have a laugh.

People have different musical tastes. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:52 am 

robmatic wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Harveys wrote:

The first two STP albums are really solid though. I've been rediscovering this era recently and I was surprised by how much Core and Purple have held up.

Stone Temple Pilots were garbage.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were fantastic.