Post subject: Re: Layne Staley
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:56 am 

Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
I have a very good voice

:lol: Sure you do.

It’s not quite the inverse of your spectacularly shit taste in music but good enough for choirs and quartet groups. Christ, I was in a barbershop high school group, a dozen of us :lol: Vomiting before performances wasn’t really my thing so I didn’t wish to continue.

I'll post the latest tune I'm working on in the other thread so you can have a laugh.

I gave one of the ambient tracks you posted a :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
Stone Temple Pilots were garbage.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Bindi wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
I have a very good voice

:lol: Sure you do.

It’s not quite the inverse of your spectacularly shit taste in music but good enough for choirs and quartet groups. Christ, I was in a barbershop high school group, a dozen of us :lol: Vomiting before performances wasn’t really my thing so I didn’t wish to continue.

I'll post the latest tune I'm working on in the other thread so you can have a laugh.

I gave one of the ambient tracks you posted a :thumbup:

Spitfire audio released the free BBC Symphony Orchestra plugin in today (https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/ ... -discover/) - I am going full overboard.

Totally aside from the topic of this thread, but I suspect most people don't realise this is how most soundtracks are composed. All done on computer.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 am 

robmatic wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Harveys wrote:
Layne Stanley, meh. Cornell was talented but I never got into Soundgarden, they just never did it for me. STP would be an easy pick for me of the three.

STP have the fewest great tracks by quite a distance

The first two STP albums are really solid though. I've been rediscovering this era recently and I was surprised by how much Core and Purple have held up.

I would say that Tiny Music... is their best album.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am 

Love Alice in Chains.

While Facelift still carried the stench of cock-rock, Dirt was incredible; a stark account of a descent into addiction; a window into madness. It’s heavy and dark (Them Bones, Dam That River, Junkhead), but capable of incredible melody and gentleness (Down in a Hole, Rooster). It’s a complete album, a triumph. SAP and Jar Of Flies are the EPs that every moody acoustic guitarist would love to write; Nutshell gets played almost every time I pick up a guitar. The self-titled album is a bit… iffy. They did admit that they were scraping the barrel at the time – Nothin’ Song is a self-parody of their creative block around then. While the other ‘grunge’ bands evolved and developed, AIC hit a wall. But then Layne did Mad Season, which tops anything Jerry Cantrell would later do as a solo artist, or anything AIC went on to produce with the new singer. Layne gave Alice in Chains an emotional depth, a soul, which no other heavy rock band possessed, even if Dirt was their only real ‘complete’ album.

I don’t rate Louder than Love, or Soundgarden’s earlier stuff, that highly. It’s tinny, sloppy in parts, too much filler; the wrong side of 'raw'. Loud Love is a good tune, as is Ugly Truth, but the whole thing is a bit of a mess. That rawness, and the range of Cornell’s voice, was finally harnessed into something substantial on Badmotorfinger. Just listening to the remastered version of that album from 2016, it’s excellent. Slaves and Bulldozers is a beast of a song, with Cornell at his best, reaching and sustaining notes that no other grunge singer was capable of. Superunknown goes even further - it's got everything - the perfect balance of raw Seattle sludge and musical refinement; Cornell turning his pain into perfectly-harnessed power, and the technical maturity of Thayil and Cameron. I still have a huge soft spot for Down on the Upside, even if it lacks the edge of the previous two.

As for Stone Temple Pilots… Core is a fine album. So is Purple. And here’s where it gets subjective – I rarely listen to either these days, while I’m still a fully paid-up member of the AIC and Soundgarden fanboy cohort. I appreciated STP, but much like Screaming Trees, they never truly grabbed me, and I never cared for Tiny Music at all, or the polished California-rock direction they went towards. I liked my grunge (for want of a better term) to be dark as fúck, and a little bit filthy. Of all the dead heroes of that era, don’t think Weiland bared his soul as much as Cobain, Staley or Cornell.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am 

A fair summary. Louder Than Love was released in ‘89, so fits the bill with that rawness and punk-ish at times sensibilities. Agree it’s nowhere as complete as Badmotorfinger or even Superunknown. Down on the Upside still confuses me to this day. I never fully got my head around it. I like good chunks of it, probably the lesser known tracks, but it just doesn’t seem to work as a total listen.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:03 am 

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
I have a great voice but I fookin' HATE being the front person, you have to be some sort of self-indulgent twat to be any good at that. I tried singing lead in an originals band - we were very well reviewed - but I hated singing lead, HATED it. I try not to do too much of it in the party bands, but invariably I have to as we all try and help the lead singer have a break every now and again. I don't mind a bit of BVs, that can be fun - just don't aim the spotlight straight at me, it freaks me out.

You could had been the next Maynard :(

You can barely see the guy live, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwvN8BgpKo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Down on the Upside still confuses me to this day. I never fully got my head around it. I like good chunks of it, probably the lesser known tracks, but it just doesn’t seem to work as a total listen.

True, it's not very cohesive, but there are some lovely tracks on it. Zero Chance and Overfloater would be my standouts.

What's your opinion of Mark Lanegan's solo work? I think Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is better than anything he did with Screaming Trees. It's got that raw, cathartic, psychotic, heroin-addled feel to it, but still very melodic and soulful.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:16 am 

Rabulah Conundrum wrote:
Love Alice in Chains.

While Facelift still carried the stench of cock-rock, Dirt was incredible; a stark account of a descent into addiction; a window into madness. It’s heavy and dark (Them Bones, Dam That River, Junkhead), but capable of incredible melody and gentleness (Down in a Hole, Rooster). It’s a complete album, a triumph. SAP and Jar Of Flies are the EPs that every moody acoustic guitarist would love to write; Nutshell gets played almost every time I pick up a guitar. The self-titled album is a bit… iffy. They did admit that they were scraping the barrel at the time – Nothin’ Song is a self-parody of their creative block around then. While the other ‘grunge’ bands evolved and developed, AIC hit a wall. But then Layne did Mad Season, which tops anything Jerry Cantrell would later do as a solo artist, or anything AIC went on to produce with the new singer. Layne gave Alice in Chains an emotional depth, a soul, which no other heavy rock band possessed, even if Dirt was their only real ‘complete’ album.

I don’t rate Louder than Love, or Soundgarden’s earlier stuff, that highly. It’s tinny, sloppy in parts, too much filler; the wrong side of 'raw'. Loud Love is a good tune, as is Ugly Truth, but the whole thing is a bit of a mess. That rawness, and the range of Cornell’s voice, was finally harnessed into something substantial on Badmotorfinger. Just listening to the remastered version of that album from 2016, it’s excellent. Slaves and Bulldozers is a beast of a song, with Cornell at his best, reaching and sustaining notes that no other grunge singer was capable of. Superunknown goes even further - it's got everything - the perfect balance of raw Seattle sludge and musical refinement; Cornell turning his pain into perfectly-harnessed power, and the technical maturity of Thayil and Cameron. I still have a huge soft spot for Down on the Upside, even if it lacks the edge of the previous two.

As for Stone Temple Pilots… Core is a fine album. So is Purple. And here’s where it gets subjective – I rarely listen to either these days, while I’m still a fully paid-up member of the AIC and Soundgarden fanboy cohort. I appreciated STP, but much like Screaming Trees, they never truly grabbed me, and I never cared for Tiny Music at all, or the polished California-rock direction they went towards. I liked my grunge (for want of a better term) to be dark as fúck, and a little bit filthy. Of all the dead heroes of that era, don’t think Weiland bared his soul as much as Cobain, Staley or Cornell.

Fall to Pieces? Not STP granted.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am 

Luciano wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:
I have a great voice but I fookin' HATE being the front person, you have to be some sort of self-indulgent twat to be any good at that. I tried singing lead in an originals band - we were very well reviewed - but I hated singing lead, HATED it. I try not to do too much of it in the party bands, but invariably I have to as we all try and help the lead singer have a break every now and again. I don't mind a bit of BVs, that can be fun - just don't aim the spotlight straight at me, it freaks me out.

You could had been the next Maynard :(

You can barely see the guy live, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwvN8BgpKo

He did have a decent voice iirc as I remember him strumming and belting some shite out at school, and didn’t sound too bad - he was only mocked for looking like Jack Osborne only without specs, being short and fat and having crazy curly hair.

As far moi, love a bit of AIC but never got the other two singers appeal really at all, just meh.

I totally can’t sing but have the decency not to think I can - dont mind having to do speeches or hosting meetings or conferences and stuff and being the focus of attention like that.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 am 

I am a massive fan of Sweet Oblivion, but never got into Uncle Anesthesia nor the latter Dust. I've got I'll Take Care of You and only heard dribs and drabs since amongst his colab work. I think he's got a new album out this month or last.