The best ice cream has to be

All things Rugby
Brian9848

Re: The best ice cream has to be

Post by Brian9848 »

Zabaglione gelato from Cones, an Argentinian Gelateria on Bleeker Street in NYC is the best gelato/ice cream I've had anywhere. Throw in a scoop of their strawberry and another of dark chocolate, you'll be very, very content. I cycled down to it yesterday and it's as good as it has ever been.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Chocolate movenpick is my favorite. :thumbup:
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

usermame wrote:I tried Rush Munro a few times on hearing how great it was. It was okay.

Tip Top French Vanilla.
Tip Top make good Hokey Pokey. Find most of their stuff kinda budget though.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

I can't recall the make but in Little Haven in Pembs the shop does a honeycomb vanilla which I would rank up there amongst the greats.

Had a stunningly good coconut two-scoop in Ibiza once.

Special shout out to Ben & Jerry's Phish food.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

usermame wrote:I tried Rush Munro a few times on hearing how great it was. It was okay.

Tip Top French Vanilla.
You best hope we never meet in a dark alley, although, your actual choice speaks volumes. :D
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Blue Bell, now proudly listeria free.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Chocolate Gelato from the Coogee Bay Hotel.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Three Twins here in California have just shut up shop due to Covid. This has been universally declared A Bad Thing by anyone who tasted their stuff, including but not limited to their Dad’s Cardamom.

Our supermarket now stocks Tillamook creamery ice cream, and their collab with Tcho double chocolate is very, very, deeply dark and delicious.

But none of these beats a 99 from Teddy’s in Dun Laoighaire on a sunny day.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

TipTop Chocolate.

That fancy $15+ gelato bullshit is too sweet.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Cadwaladrs in Criccieth!
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

True Blue wrote:Chocolate movenpick is my favorite. :thumbup:
Yep - I'm not a fan of chocolate ice cream generally but pretty much anything movenpick does is the mutts nuts
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Brian9848 wrote:Zabaglione gelato from Cones, an Argentinian Gelateria on Bleeker Street in NYC is the best gelato/ice cream I've had anywhere. Throw in a scoop of their strawberry and another of dark chocolate, you'll be very, very content. I cycled down to it yesterday and it's as good as it has ever been.
Oh yes. Cones is incredible. I have tried their zabaglione at their Brussels store, and it is definitively in my list of top 5 ice cream shops in the world.

:thumbup:
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

kiwinoz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
Luciano wrote:Thanks to our predominant Italian ancestry, Argentina has incredible ice cream. We have some particular tastes, and of course many of them involve some kind of 'Dulce de Leche' (milky caramel). And don't even mention that damned salted caramel crap. :D

Also, we have turned zabaglione ('sambayón') into ice cream, and it is the bee's knees. :shock:
My missus would 100% agree with you on dulche de leche.. she was even eating tonnes of it in Patagonia when it was well below zero the weirdo.. those little biscuits you get with coffee were great too.
Another for dulche de leche, had my first taste in Uruguay and was hooked.
Well done :D !

Sometimes it is too sweet for foreigners. But once you cross the sweetness barrier, there is no turning back :o

And it is never too cold to have ice cream :x . One of the things that drives me nuts in northern European countries, is how they close ice cream shops for the winter. Germany, I am looking at you :frown:
usermame

Post by usermame »

True Blue wrote:

Tip Top French Vanilla.
Tip Top make good Hokey Pokey. Find most of their stuff kinda budget though.
Sheer brand snobbery.

Blind tastings in Chocolate and French Vanilla are what you need.
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Beechdean Vanilla - direct from the farm in Speen
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

frillage wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Lucas in Musselburgh
The business is currently for sale. The kids have gone off to do other things. Musselburgh and Morningside shops and the ice cream factory is included in the sale, but not the sister's shop along the road.

It is sad, I know of so many businesses which were built up from nothing, then the kids (or in this case grand kids) go off and do other things, while the business is so often bought by someone without the love for the product or business expertise, so not long after it evaporates.

Edit
Personally I'd go with Equis as best brand. Though Orkney raspberry is my all time single flavour favourite.
Shame, but hopefully someone with some passion picks them up, though would expect changes whoever gets them.
Course mainly a person’s favourite will be based on their memories as a youngster.
]On that Colpi is by far my favourite, no flavours, a proper Fior de latte gelato.
In that case Bridge of Allan Ice cream.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Ben & Jerrys Peanut Butter Cup. :blush:
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Mr Whippy/soft serve

I mean by no measure is the best ice cream but it is a guilty pleasure and when I was dieting I could just about take the calorie hit for one.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Your best bet for ice cream.

Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Hocking's Dairy Cream Ices is the best in the world. It's not even a debate.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Poshprop wrote:
frillage wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
The business is currently for sale. The kids have gone off to do other things. Musselburgh and Morningside shops and the ice cream factory is included in the sale, but not the sister's shop along the road.

It is sad, I know of so many businesses which were built up from nothing, then the kids (or in this case grand kids) go off and do other things, while the business is so often bought by someone without the love for the product or business expertise, so not long after it evaporates.

Edit
Personally I'd go with Equis as best brand. Though Orkney raspberry is my all time single flavour favourite.
Shame, but hopefully someone with some passion picks them up, though would expect changes whoever gets them.
Course mainly a person’s favourite will be based on their memories as a youngster.
]On that Colpi is by far my favourite, no flavours, a proper Fior de latte gelato.
The Tonieri's sold the Bridge of Allan cafe a while back. I am not sure who has it now. As far as I am aware the ice cream sold in the cafe is now bought in. I don't know where they get it so it could still be good.

Always assuming of course that is who you are talking about, but I don't know anyone else in Bridge of Allan selling ice cream.

And an honourable mention for Giacopazzi's in Milnathort. I occasionally go out of my way to buy it.

Edit
I do of course mean the Allanwater Cafe in Bridge of Allan, not the Bridge of Allan cafe.
Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Sat May 30, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Floppykid wrote:Haagen-Dazs Vanilla is their best.
This man knows his ice cream. :thumbup:
slick

Post by slick »

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Poshprop wrote:
frillage wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Edit
The Tonieri's sold the Bridge of Allan cafe a while back. I am not sure who has it now. As far as I am aware the ice cream sold in the cafe is now bought in. I don't know where they get it so it could still be good.

Always assuming of course that is who you are talking about, but I don't know anyone else in Bridge of Allan selling ice cream.

And an honourable mention for Giacopazzi's in Milnathort. I occasionally go out of my way to buy it.
Alandas in North Berwick isn't bad, I like the Raspberry Ripple
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

As an side, one of my sister's dug out our old family ice cream recipe. Which turned out to be next to impossible to make domestically. In amongst the ingredients in commercial quantities, were others in tablespoons. Whilst you can scale down gallons of milk, it was impossible to scale down these small quantity ingredients.

My mother relates how she challenged her father on this, and he got so fed up he made a batch without one of them. It made a difference.

One of my cousin's daughters is married to a dairy farmer in England. She started making gelato using the old family recipe and has won awards.

She started off in small scale commercial production, then scaled up. One of the things she found was that using exactly the same ingredients, in exactly the same proportion, using the same process just using different machinery produced different results. To get the same outcome she had to adjust the recipe depending on which machines she used.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

slick wrote:Alandas in North Berwick isn't bad, I like the Raspberry Ripple
That is not a part of the world I visit often, and I have not heard of them. I'll make a point of trying them if I am in the town anytime.
slick

Post by slick »

Edinburgh01 wrote:
That is not a part of the world I visit often, and I have not heard of them. I'll make a point of trying them if I am in the town anytime.
That, and the wee fish and chip shop van in the harbour are the only reasons we go.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

I'd forgotten Jannetta's in St Andrews.

I was ludicrously pleased when they opened their place in Perth. It was a sad day when it closed.

Best raspberry ripple anywhere.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

GWO2 wrote:If you are including local makers, Joe`s of Mumbles has quite a good reputation.
This...
grievous

Post by grievous »

Messina
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

GWO2 wrote:If you are including local makers, Joe`s of Mumbles has quite a good reputation.
I was actually only thinking of mass produced easily available to most of us ice cream when I started the thread. Hands down no contest my Auntie made the best ice cream I ever had and now my sister makes the best ice cream I'm likely to have.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TB63 wrote:
This...
The Hive in Aberaeron - their honey ice cream is heavenly
Fecci's in Tenby also worth a mention
Tuivasa

Post by Tuivasa »

Whittakers peanut slab
Openside

Post by Openside »

Vanilla is like ready salted crisps, a waste of a flavour opportunity.

Haagen Daz coffee or Hazlenut the best!!
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

slick wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
That, and the wee fish and chip shop van in the harbour are the only reasons we go.
The steampunk coffee shop is a nice little stop after climbing Berwick law.. the cakes they do are delicious.
slick

Post by slick »

HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
The steampunk coffee shop is a nice little stop after climbing Berwick law.. the cakes they do are delicious.
Might be allowed, errr, tea and cake in the garden after today!
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Openside wrote:

Can you still get the Hazelnut? My wife had a student job at the Haagen Daz café in Manchester and is adamant that Hazelnut was the best flavour but also thinks it was discontinued years ago. She would probably drive to Surry to buy it if you can still get it down there.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Cadwaladrs in Criccieth!
+1

Better than Joe's in Mumbles (which was still good, don't get me wrong).

Back in NL there is speculaas ice cream - amazing flavour with crunchy bits and just a tad less sweet than dulce the leche.

I do love a Mr Whippy type ice cream though, with the crunchy caramelised nuts.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous. wrote:Haagen-Dazs Pralines & Cream
It's really superb.

Cherry garcia was a superb B&J flavour (the only one which isn't full of chocolate ice cream) but can't find it these days apart from as a froghurt.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

HD salted caramel also excellent
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Openside wrote:

Coffee ice cream is an abomination unto the Lord.