Selling Boerewors in Ireland

All things Rugby
Jensrsa

Re: Selling Boerewors in Ireland

Post by Jensrsa »

Nolanator wrote:WTF is boerewors? Sounds like a 19th century conflict.
Boerewors must contain at least 90 percent meat, and always contain beef, as well as lamb, pork, or a mixture of lamb and pork. The other 10% is made up of spices and other ingredients. Not more than 30% of the meat content may be fat. Boerewors may not contain offal or any "mechanically recovered" meat pulp (as recovered through a process where meat and bone are mechanically separated)
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Best boerewors in SA is Groenkloof Boerewors
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

backrow wrote:Saffa cuisine >>>>> British cuisine >>>>> Irish cuisine

Fact
You think we have cuisine now? That's cute
Catman

Post by Catman »

I have Irish friends who constantly invite us over for a hearty Irish Stew.

They watch in glorious anticipation as we take our first mouthfulls. Unfortunately, my wife being altogether too nice, has set the precedent that we "absolutely LOVE it!" Hence the continuous repeat bloody invitations.

All I've ever wanted to say is "Meh- its stew. We used to get this near month end when budgets were tight and mom cooked up all the leftovers" . But I inevitably follow my wife's lead and declare it divine :x

Its f**king STEW. x( x(
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

I hear biltong is becoming bigger market in Europe, often thanks to saffer rugby players helping to promote and run biltong businesses
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Catman wrote:I have Irish friends who constantly invite us over for a hearty Irish Stew.

They watch in glorious anticipation as we take our first mouthfulls. Unfortunately, my wife being altogether too nice, has set the precedent that we "absolutely LOVE it!" Hence the continuous repeat bloody invitations.

All I've ever wanted to say is "Meh- its stew. We used to get this near month end when budgets were tight and mom cooked up all the leftovers" . But I inevitably follow my wife's lead and declare it divine :x

Its f**king STEW. x( x(

Ask those culchie bastards for some coddle ta fudge
handyman

Post by handyman »

Catman wrote:I have Irish friends who constantly invite us over for a hearty Irish Stew.

Its f**king STEW. x( x(
You've got friends?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assfly

Post by assfly »

Can't beat a full Irish breakfast. Especially after a night on the Bulmers or Guinness. White pudding is ace.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

It really is very simple

We invented whiskey and the Pigdogs pretend to have invented putting bone dry pastry around stew so you can eat stew anywhere.

We win.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

I saw the thread title and silently cheered the birth of a new figure of speech. Only to be crushed by the discovery that the thread concerns exotic small goods.

Fúck. Youse. All.

Very disappointed
of
Coalfalls
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Kids love Clonakilty boerewors.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Its f**king STEW. x( x(
And this folks is how you can tell how high, or not you rate on the scale.

Stew = keep at arms length, not nakedly hostile, maintain cordial relations, however, they clearly suspect you may have English tendencies.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Seems some of the Irish like a good Boerie, what simple recipe can they give us in return? Something that's fast and easy to make on a Saturday afternoon while watching the rugby.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

handyman wrote:Seems some of the Irish like a good Boerie, what simple recipe can they give us in return? Something that's fast and easy to make on a Saturday afternoon while watching the rugby.
But not something where one of the ingredients is gelignite, it goes without saying.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

@Handyman

Toasted Soda Farl
Fried black pudding
Gubeen Cheese melted on top
Red onion chutney

You're welcome
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

The cheese and chutney sounds good but the dried out naan bread with coagulated blood wors sounds horrible.
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

Average Joe wrote:The cheese and chutney sounds good but the dried out naan bread with coagulated blood wors sounds horrible.
Wrong!

Throw a few rashers in there and squash it all down and it's even better. Although white pudding is what I go for.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Mullet 2 wrote:@Handyman

Red onion chutney

You're welcome
Ta. I'll try that one this weekend.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

CarrotGawks wrote:
Average Joe wrote:The cheese and chutney sounds good but the dried out naan bread with coagulated blood wors sounds horrible.
Wrong!

Throw a few rashers in there and squash it all down and it's even better. Although white pudding is what I go for.
Is the correct answer. However fried black is fine. :thumbup:
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

That sounds a bit better. Most Saffas will find anything made from blood hard to swallow.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Why do they call it black pudding? surely it's the same as bloodwurst.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Average Joe wrote:Why do they call it black pudding? surely it's the same as bloodwurst.
I believe they are the same thing.

The French also have their own version. I had dinner in a French restaurant where black pudding was a main meal. Absolutely delicious.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Sissy
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Black pudding is gorgeous

White is lovely

Hagis is also great
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Mullet 2 wrote:

Sissy
Eating coagulated pigs blood does not make a man of you. You'll start another pandemic with that shit.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Like I’m taking any lessons from Africa on fûcked up diseases
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

:lol: I walked right into that one hay!
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

It's quite a nice spicy sausage. Unfortunately way to expensive in the UK for what it is.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

White pudding is lovely.
Similar to vetkoek, in a way.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

EverReady wrote:More furrin muck
Yeerrrrr!
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Not really a fan of it. Too much unpleasant spice (cloves, all spice), can barely taste the meat, and which is massively overcooked usually due to the coil shape stopping the outside looking like it’s cooked.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Yourmother wrote:Not really a fan of it. Too much unpleasant spice (cloves, all spice), can barely taste the meat, and which is massively overcooked usually due to the coil shape stopping the outside looking like it’s cooked.
You must have had a bad experience, as a good boerewors shouldn't be anything like that.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Yourmother wrote:Not really a fan of it. Too much unpleasant spice (cloves, all spice), can barely taste the meat, and which is massively overcooked usually due to the coil shape stopping the outside looking like it’s cooked.
Saffer supermarkets and butchers offer a number of different recipes boerewors to suit different tastes and tastes will vary from shop to shop. The only thing that is consistent is that boerewors has 90% meat, less than that it isn't boerewors
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

He's trolling you lads
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

There are a few recipes and some are to spicy for even my tastes. Overcooked and dry wors is very common with people who don't know how to cook it. My late father use to say what counts for your wors counts for the wors on the fire "when it's stiff it's ready and only crazies stick forks in their wors"

The trick is to hang it for a while before cooking. You want the skin to be dry before putting it on the fire. Use blasts of intense heat, just a few minutes on each side. Even though it might still seem raw the juices inside will continue to cook it after you removed it from the heat.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

assfly wrote:
You must have had a bad experience, as a good boerewors shouldn't be anything like that.

Braaied to medium...................fvck I am hungry now.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

I pretty much overcook it every time I try. And the same for SA mates cooking it.

But at the end of the day, even when cooked right with soggy skin, the cloves are not great. Ruin the meat taste.

Having said that, I absolutely love the droewors.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Yourmother wrote:I pretty much overcook it every time I try. And the same for SA mates cooking it.

But at the end of the day, even when cooked right with soggy skin, the cloves are not great. Ruin the meat taste.

Having said that, I absolutely love the droewors.
It sounds like you just don't like Boerewors. That is ok.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

So it is fair to say that Irish women LOVE Boerewors? ;)
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Looked fine there

€12 for a kg seems steep