Selling Boerewors in Ireland

All things Rugby
Sandstorm

Re: Selling Boerewors in Ireland

Post by Sandstorm »

Yourmother wrote:I pretty much overcook it every time I try. And the same for SA mates cooking it.
The best way to eat wors is right off the grill while the rest of the meat is cooking. "Feed the Chef first" is most important at any braai. By the time it's sat in a braai-pan for 40 minutes waiting for the chicken thighs and girly toasties to finish, the wors is ruined. :thumbdown:
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sandstorm wrote:
Yourmother wrote:I pretty much overcook it every time I try. And the same for SA mates cooking it.
The best way to eat wors is right off the grill while the rest of the meat is cooking. "Feed the Chef first" is most important at any braai. By the time it's sat in a braai-pan for 40 minutes waiting for the chicken thighs and girly toasties to finish, the wors is ruined. :thumbdown:
Put the chicken onto the braai first Sandy...........................when it is 5 minutes from being done you put the boerie and saarmies on.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Sandstorm wrote:
WTF is it with you Cape (ex) types and f**king braai toasties?
nardol

Post by nardol »

You stupid saffas

It's boerenworst
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

sorCrer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Closest I'll ever get to putting vegetables on the braai for those Vegans who turned up unannouced and won't be asked back again.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Chilli wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Put the chicken onto the braai first Sandy...........................when it is 5 minutes from being done you put the boerie and saarmies on.
But I'm hungry now! The biltong and chips were all klapped while the coals were burning down to white....I need that wors to keep my strength up. :(
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

nardol wrote:You stupid saffas

It's boerenworst
go and take a stab at a stroopwafel - you cretin
nardol

Post by nardol »

Monk Zombie wrote:

It's boerenworst

That makes no sense.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

It's boerenworst
I'll tell you this when it comes to cuisine I reckon every cook left Holland for the Cape in the 14th century. Absolutely f**king zero left in the Netherlands. Bitterballen ffs. x(
handyman

Post by handyman »

sorCrer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Coming from a "man" who let's his girlfriend do the braaiing... :|
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

nardol wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:

It's boerenworst

That makes no sense.

what sorcerer said - dutch food is boring
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Chilli wrote:So it is fair to say that Irish women LOVE Boerewors? ;)
Yes :nod:

I agree, Dutch food is much inferior to South African food.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

sorCrer wrote:

It's boerenworst
I'll tell you this when it comes to cuisine I reckon every cook left Holland for the Cape in the 14th century. Absolutely f**king zero left in the Netherlands. Bitterballen ffs. x(
I tried those once in Brussels - christ they're foul. Who the f*ck decided it was a foodstuff?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Lemoentjie wrote:I hear biltong is becoming bigger market in Europe, often thanks to saffer rugby players helping to promote and run biltong businesses
Saffa shops started to pop up in the antipodean ghettos of London 20 years ago catering for homesick backpackers wanting comfort in an overpriced can of Castle lager or some biltong. In fairness they have come on a long way since then with some cracking produce on offer, the biltong is still a bit pricey for me so I make my own.
shanky

Post by shanky »

well done Saffas

You'll know you've cracked the inner culinary circle when they start putting pate on it

:thumbup:
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

I like Bitterballen :blush:
nardol

Post by nardol »

Bitterballen or a Kroket is bloody tasty.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

nardol wrote:Bitterballen or a Kroket is bloody tasty.
I prefer a springroll
Diego

Post by Diego »

Bitterballen are fúcking delicious you heathens
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

What eating bitterballen is like

sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Gavin Duffy wrote:What eating bitterballen is like

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Filthy shite.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Chilli wrote:So it is fair to say that Irish women LOVE Boerewors? ;)
I would hazard that ALL women would go crazy over Boerwors. Nothing comparable.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

sorCrer wrote:

It's boerenworst
Nonsense, hard to beat a traditional Dutch rijsttafel.

I’ll also have to stand in the bitterballen camp, and split pea soup.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Mr Mike wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

It's boerenworst

The Saffer version of pea soup seems to be similar to the Dutch version from what I saw on Wiki. I love pea soup
Wilson's Toffee

Boontjiesop (traditional bean soup)

Melktert (supposedly all Saffa , but I do not know)

Varkboud met bakaartappels en kweperjellie. (Leg of pig with baked potatoe and quince jelly)

Many European dishes would be echoed here, as well as Malay ones. And a few all African dishes, like mopani worms (people actually buy and eat those, here)
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mr Mike wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

It's boerenworst

Haven't had a 'ricetable' and will try it next time I'm there (which would have been July :x ) bitterballen are shite. If you have them when you're out on a proper piss up you're burping up bitter crap the whole of the next day. I don't mind smoked eel though.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Right, I've procured some of the lads product from my local Aldi and will report back on its quality tomorrow evening after I've scoffed the lot.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Droewors is much more to my liking to be honest. unlike Boerewors it's got a uniqueness to it and is bloody moorish
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Anonymous. wrote:Droewors is much more to my liking to be honest. unlike Boerewors it's got a uniqueness to it and is bloody moorish
Real droewors is mostly (without the pork) a dried version of boerewors. (Not the kak mass produced wors sticks) I like both
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jensrsa wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:Droewors is much more to my liking to be honest. unlike Boerewors it's got a uniqueness to it and is bloody moorish
Real droewors is mostly (without the pork) a dried version of boerewors. (Not the kak mass produced wors sticks) I like both
Thats what ithought but then it was explained to me that it's not dried boerewors. if you tried drying that stuff it tended to spoil so they made these thinner sticks for the purpose of drying them. Anyway I don't care. I like the stuff I buy.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Anonymous. wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Thats what ithought but then it was explained to me that it's not dried boerewors. if you tried drying that stuff it tended to spoil so they made these thinner sticks for the purpose of drying them. Anyway I don't care. I like the stuff I buy.
Droewors doesn't have pork as pork spoils easily. Otherwise the spicing is essentially the same. Wors sticks are loaded with other chemicals and presevatives to ensure they last longer in all temperatures
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jensrsa wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Droewors doesn't have pork as pork spoils easily. Otherwise the spicing is essentially the same. Wors sticks are loaded with other chemicals and presevatives to ensure they last longer in all temperatures
Whatever. All i was saying is i was told it's much thinner "sticks" to stop it spoiling. All the videos i have seen with saffas making it on youtube start out much thinner than boerewors. The main thing is I like what i buy. :thumbup:
Wilson's Toffee

Take a piece of ordinary boerewors, press it flat on a plate, leave in cold fridge. Turn over every two days. After a week or two you will have droëwors, still slightly wet.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

So the boerewors proved to be a big hit in Aldi, so they’re going to be a regular stock item from now on
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Had a Barbie yesterday

Stopped in Uncle Boks in Longford and bought three 1/2 KG Borwors (two spicy, one Garlic)

Absolutely savage.

Picked up a load of Dorwors and Biltong also.

All the Paddies raving about the Borwors
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Mullet 2 wrote:Had a Barbie yesterday

Stopped in Uncle Boks in Longford and bought three 1/2 KG Borwors (two spicy, one Garlic)

Absolutely savage.

Picked up a load of Dorwors and Biltong also.

All the Paddies raving about the Borwors
That's because the Irish are a decent, upstanding and sophisticated people. Whiskey only for me now on. :thumbup:
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

I had some pepperami for lunch.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

It’s called pudding of colour these days.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:It’s called pudding of colour these days.
And as for "white" pudding..........................