Saffer "cuisine"

All things Rugby
Jensrsa

Re: Saffer "cuisine"

Post by Jensrsa »

Yourmother wrote:Can you guys give me a great braai side dish, and recipe to make it?
One of the best braais I attended

Salads and side dishes on the table for people to dish up as they want

- Braai the boerewors and everyone nibbles
- Braai the chicken drumsticks and wings and everyone nibbles
- Braai a beef roast (topside, aitchbone, silverside) carving off as it is done on a side, and everyone nibbles

By the time the meat has been braaied everyone has eaten
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Jensrsa wrote:
Yourmother wrote:Can you guys give me a great braai side dish, and recipe to make it?

- Braai a beef roast (topside, aitchbone, silverside) carving off as it is done on a side, and everyone nibbles

Tend to agree. Love eating tapas style. Eating standing up with mini plates over the course of a few hours of servings.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Yourmother wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Tend to agree. Love eating tapas style. Eating standing up with mini plates over the course of a few hours of servings.
Tapas style. Good description

TBH though, a braai isn't really about the food, it's about the kuier
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Jensrsa wrote:
Yourmother wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

100% been to plenty "braais" where I haven't eaten a thing. :blush:
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

^^^
Strues Bob, Nannies kopela
backrow

Post by backrow »

Don’t get why you don’t eat as soon as it’s ready - first braai I attended was pre Mrs Y , on a rugby tour there nearly 20 years ago - after a hard days drinking , I was up for some bbq meat. Meat was cooked , I had a beer - and then the cooked meat was put into metal trays and scurried away, and the next batch was cooked. By the time it was ready to eat (about 2 hours later ) I was completely off my tits, having been drinking on an empty stomach after a day of drinking during a sunny day.
A team mate also semi passed out and sharted !
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

backrow wrote:Don’t get why you don’t eat as soon as it’s ready - first braai I attended was pre Mrs Y , on a rugby tour there nearly 20 years ago - after a hard days drinking , I was up for some bbq meat. Meat was cooked , I had a beer - and then the cooked meat was put into metal trays and scurried away, and the next batch was cooked. By the time it was ready to eat (about 2 hours later ) I was completely off my tits, having been drinking on an empty stomach after a day of drinking during a sunny day.
A team mate also semi passed out and sharted !
Agree
backrow

Post by backrow »

I should also say the amount of food cooked was huge , way more than what 25 lads could eat - I was looking forward to take aways for next day nibbles, only the hostel owner (hippy Afrikaans blonde chick) ‘encouraged’ us to donate it all to her useless slow black staff (my first experience of ‘Africa time’) because we were” from London and are rich “

I wasn’t too happy as it ended up working out to be £20 for a little bit of steak, a drumstick , a rasher, some salad, and one jug of beer per table. This was 2004 so I quickly found out that was extortionate for SA standards.
We are much more, and better, and for far less, in an actual restaurant the next day, and don’t have to wait hours for the food. The whole tour was about £900 including beer money, and that was the only bit I felt ripped off.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

backrow wrote:I should also say the amount of food cooked was huge , way more than what 25 lads could eat - I was looking forward to take aways for next day nibbles, only the hostel owner (hippy Afrikaans blonde chick) ‘encouraged’ us to donate it all to her useless slow black staff (my first experience of ‘Africa time’) because we were” from London and are rich “

I wasn’t too happy as it ended up working out to be £20 for a little bit of steak, a drumstick , a rasher, some salad, and one jug of beer per table. This was 2004 so I quickly found out that was extortionate for SA standards.
We are much more, and better, and for far less, in an actual restaurant the next day, and don’t have to wait hours for the food. The whole tour was about £900 including beer money, and that was the only bit I felt ripped off.
That seems to have been a hotel thing. No ways that would happen at a private braai

I enjoy cold chops and boerewors the next morning for brekkies
backrow

Post by backrow »

Jensrsa wrote:
backrow wrote:I should also say the amount of food cooked was huge , way more than what 25 lads could eat - I was looking forward to take aways for next day nibbles, only the hostel owner (hippy Afrikaans blonde chick) ‘encouraged’ us to donate it all to her useless slow black staff (my first experience of ‘Africa time’) because we were” from London and are rich “

That seems to have been a hotel thing. No ways that would happen at a private braai

I enjoy cold chops and boerewors the next morning for brekkies

Iirc (and I probably don’t because I was off my tits) it was the restaurant part of the hostel, we were the only guests as was out of season, probably good thing seeing as there were people shitting themselves.

It was also my first experience of saffa ‘you are british so must be rich, please donate etc’ kind of mentality - amused me because half the tour squad were blue collar London chav YTS scum on maybe £200 a week. Felt very weird to be constantly spoken to about perceived wealth!
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

:lol:

Yeeb - suffering under the "burden of the white man " (colonialist) in Africa !!

Was it Kipling ?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Wilson's Toffee wrote::lol:

Yeeb - suffering under the "burden of the white man " (colonialist) in Africa !!

Was it Kipling ?
It wasn’t black guys hounding us about wealth, it was the Afrikaans ones !
Sards

Post by Sards »

Jensrsa wrote:
Yourmother wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Definitely. The truth is the blokes stand around the fire and the women hang around the kitchen.
Since I put my bar in I get more blokes and wives around the bar mixing and the braai is a more organized event like a seated dinner and then after a few shots at the table the real fun starts...darts, dancing...falling over....

:lol:

There is a fairly new crew that has become part of our group. On his first night with us he fell down twice...much to his sons disgust...but his recovery after each fall was legendary and he is now one of the clan.

In the Cape winter is a huge downer for braai. Cold and wet si mostly its indoors. So standing around the fire is not an option. I have 2 lounges with built in braais. And then my Diablo room which is also the smoking area. Its protected but open. The indoor braais I use for heat and the effect and I braai on my Diablo because its quick and organized and you keep the food warm in trays so you can serve in one go. That way dinner is just a break .
handyman

Post by handyman »

DraadkarD wrote:Samoosas
Cape Malay Curry
Got myself a proper Cape Malay cookbook just before lockdown. The chicken curry is awesome. So many recipes to try this winter.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

backrow wrote:

Was it Kipling ?
You keep some very strange company whenever you come to South Africa. Afrikaans people are very reserved and it's pretty much considered impolite to directly discuss someones wealth and it's simply not done. Bit like your 'egg flipping' Zimbo mates.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

handyman wrote:
Cape Malay Curry
Got myself a proper Cape Malay cookbook just before lockdown. The chicken curry is awesome. So many recipes to try this winter.
Lol where the hell does draad get off thinking that Samoosas are South African?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Big Nipper wrote:
handyman wrote:
Cape Malay Curry
Lol where the hell does draad get off thinking that Samoosas are South African?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The concept isn't but our samoosa's are very different from those in India.
backrow

Post by backrow »

sorCrer wrote:
backrow wrote:

Was it Kipling ?
You keep some very strange company whenever you come to South Africa. Afrikaans people are very reserved and it's pretty much considered impolite to directly discuss someones wealth and it's simply not done. Bit like your 'egg flipping' Zimbo mates.
Just saying what I found - this was before I met my wife. Was the Afrikaans hostel owner, the president of the club near Jeffrey’s bay we played *, and at least one other restaurant guy made some comment like ‘well you can afford to’
Tbf we were a bunch of yobs on the piss, but happened enough that it got commented on and we mocked them about it.

*basically after we had the game and had mixed team photos he did about a ten minute speech which boiled down to ‘you are rich , please pay for us to come and tour london’

Errr, nope