Are Looters Bad?

All things Rugby
Mr Mike

Re: Are Looters Bad?

Post by Mr Mike »

Judging by the number of “looters will be shot on sight” signs posted around our gated community during Hurricane Harvey, I think there was a firm view formed that looting is generally unacceptable. Fortunately we had some community minded folks patrolling the lakes and streets in their kayaks “locked and loaded”.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

AnkleTap wrote:Looters are not bad and some skills where shown. However until they over run an Amazon warehouse I am withholding any high scores.
The looters did try to steal items from one of the Amazon contactless stores. Unfortunately they forgot that the stores work by deducting the costs of goods from peoples’ phones automatically as they leave the store, and Amazon was able to deduct $16,000 from looters’ bank accounts.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Lobby wrote:
AnkleTap wrote:Looters are not bad and some skills where shown. However until they over run an Amazon warehouse I am withholding any high scores.
The looters did try to steal items from one of the Amazon contactless stores. Unfortunately they forgot that the stores work by deducting the costs of goods from peoples’ phones automatically as they leave the store, and Amazon was able to deduct $16,000 from looters’ bank accounts.
Should've only stolen what you could afford!
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Mr Mike wrote:Judging by the number of “looters will be shot on sight” signs posted around our gated community during Hurricane Harvey, I think there was a firm view formed that looting is generally unacceptable. Fortunately we had some community minded folks patrolling the lakes and streets in their kayaks “locked and loaded”.
Yep, the prevalence of gun ownership in places like Texas and the Castle Doctrine laws significantly deters the looting of private property
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Spyglass wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:Judging by the number of “looters will be shot on sight” signs posted around our gated community during Hurricane Harvey, I think there was a firm view formed that looting is generally unacceptable. Fortunately we had some community minded folks patrolling the lakes and streets in their kayaks “locked and loaded”.
Yep, the prevalence of gun ownership in places like Texas and the Castle Doctrine laws significantly deters the looting of private property
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2bUZ3eeRE

Yes, things have been reasonably quiet around here, even in such a ethnically and income diverse city. The police have done a decent job engaging with the community and showing leadership and there are the other factors you pointed out.

My daughter was out Katy way last evening for a school kid organized protest. Police all at a distance, everyone wearing masks and maintaining space. Didn’t come home with any unexplained goods.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Mr Mike wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2bUZ3eeRE

Yes, things have been reasonably quiet around here, even in such a ethnically and income diverse city. The police have done a decent job engaging with the community and showing leadership and there are the other factors you pointed out.

My daughter was out Katy way last evening for a school kid organized protest. Police all at a distance, everyone wearing masks and maintaining space. Didn’t come home with any unexplained goods.
:lol:

Good for her, my youngest was planning to go as well but he got invited to a last minute graduation get together at a friends house in Galveston last night....I can't wait to see him tonight.....18 year olds with hangovers are so much fun :roll:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Spyglass wrote:18 year olds with hangovers are so much fun :roll:
Yeah moody, grumpy, laying around and moany. Are they any different hungover?

Our 18 year old had his graduation ceremony last week. It is a small school for kids with learning differences, so much easier to manage and execute a ceremony, so great to be able to do it. Tough for a lot of these kids who are missing out on marking such a significant milestone but they are showing some admirable resilience and adaptability.

Good luck to your son for the next stage.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Mr Mike wrote:
Thanks, he'll be studying engineering at A&M, so we'll have an Aggie in the family, which will be a bit of a cultural change for us Englishers....
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Spyglass wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Thanks, he'll be studying engineering at A&M, so we'll have an Aggie in the family, which will be a bit of a cultural change for us Englishers....
That’s excellent :thumbup:
xbgo1

Post by xbgo1 »

Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Lemoentjie wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:Ah, the good old "Private property is more valuable than the lives of human beings" argument. Worked beautifully for the Apartheid government

:uhoh:
Normally I would agree, but people have their livelihoods in those businesses and properties. 1 life already ended, why damage more?
So, BN will be opening his family stores for everyone to take what they want.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Of course looting is bad. Anybody who disagrees should put their address on the internet and say that anybody is free to smash their way in and take whatever they want.

Don't talk the talk if you ain't going to walk the walk