Joseph Suaalii - next big thing in Australia

All things Rugby
Jerome Manning

Joseph Suaalii - next big thing in Australia

Post by Jerome Manning »

This is an incredible highlights reel - I can't work out his best position.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 3339d6ba42

Looks like he will end up in league.
Thomas

Re: Joseph Suaalii - next big thing in Australia

Post by Thomas »

End up in league? There's no way he'll ever come to rugby.

Kid is 16 years old and is about to sign a $500K a year contract. Rugby can't compete with that. It's crazy money.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Watched him at State U15 rep games

He made it look like everyone else was running in slo-mo.

Like that Ardie Savea school video from a few years ago.
Last edited by shanky on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

He looks fairly ordinary speed wise, and there's nothing there to suggest he's anything other than a flat track bully at the schools level.
If I were to guess I'd say he'd make a good 12 at real rugby, though his lack of acceleration might hold him back.
shanky

Post by shanky »

That maybe so, but he's in the highly competitive junior NRL system, and still killing it.

Here's an interesting one though, another schoolboy rugby star lost to NRL (Roosters this time)

https://youtu.be/IlVcT89TVvg
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Looks good but note of caution. it is a bit man against boys
shanky

Post by shanky »

Well, when he washes out of league, then maybe we'll get him back. :)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Rugby lost Jack Howarth from last year. I believe he is with the Storm now.

Brisbane Boys College outside centre and general large human. Played for QLD schools in rugby and league. Was playing first grade rugby league in Brisbane at 17. Absolute weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCPQV2Ajn04
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Thomas wrote:Rugby lost Jack Howarth from last year. I believe he is with the Storm now.

Brisbane Boys College outside centre and general large human. Played for QLD schools in rugby and league. Was playing first grade rugby league in Brisbane at 17. Absolute weapon.

:shock: :shock: :shock: wtf :lol:

He's like a science experiment that escaped from the lab. Where the f#ck are these guys coming from - the love child of Jerome Kaino and Waisale Serevi?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yup, there's been a few recently

Normally, you get the old "well they're really leaguies anyway, just playing rah-rah for the scholarship", but there's one just now that sticks in the craw a bit

Teddy Wilson (17), son of Wallaby David Wilson. Regarded as a future star....in League

(playing 7 and 9 here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIX5pM2 ... gbyAthlete

If we can't keep the son a famous Wallaby, who can we keep?

:(

tldr? watch the try at 2:13....
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Jerome Manning wrote:
Thomas wrote:Rugby lost Jack Howarth from last year. I believe he is with the Storm now.

:shock: :shock: :shock: wtf :lol:

He's like a science experiment that escaped from the lab. Where the f#ck are these guys coming from - the love child of Jerome Kaino and Waisale Serevi?
Just did some reading. He was playing first grade rugby league at 16 :lol:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

shanky wrote:Yup, there's been a few recently

Normally, you get the old "well they're really leaguies anyway, just playing rah-rah for the scholarship", but there's one just now that sticks in the craw a bit

Teddy Wilson (17), son of Wallaby David Wilson. Regarded as a future star....in League

(playing 7 and 9 here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIX5pM2 ... gbyAthlete

If we can't keep the son a famous Wallaby, who can we keep?

:(

tldr? watch the try at 2:13....
Well, that sucks. In saying that, RA has done a great job these last couple of years in retaining talent. But they can't compete with $500K a year for a kid that won't be allowed to play in the NRL for at least another 2 years.
shanky

Post by shanky »

And another 16/17 year old (SG Ball), Tolu Koula

watch the power and pace here... :shock:

https://twitter.com/nswrl/status/1228891288725905409
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

In the same way that assortative mating over the last century has created an intellectual elite, we seem to be seeing the same thing with physical attributes (obviously this is the story of evolution but it has just been dialled up to 11 in recent decades).

Combined with elite school programs, the mind bogles at what professional rugby is going to look like in 10 years.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Jerome Manning wrote:In the same way that assortative mating over the last century has created an intellectual elite, we seem to be seeing the same thing with physical attributes (obviously this is the story of evolution but it has just been dialled up to 11 in recent decades).

Combined with elite school programs, the mind bogles at what professional rugby is going to look like in 10 years.
Check this series out. 6 episodes. It follows the school that freak Howarth is from (BBC) in the chase for their first ever outright GPS championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8I5aeKnOA&t=318s

Their head coach is Shane Drahm and the assistant coach is Steve Kefu. It's a great series.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote:
Jerome Manning wrote:In the same way that assortative mating over the last century has created an intellectual elite, we seem to be seeing the same thing with physical attributes (obviously this is the story of evolution but it has just been dialled up to 11 in recent decades).

Check this series out. 6 episodes. It follows the school that freak Howarth is from (BBC) in the chase for their first ever outright GPS championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8I5aeKnOA&t=318s

Their head coach is Shane Drahm and the assistant coach is Steve Kefu. It's a great series.
Those "The Season" shows are very good, if you're a rugby tragic. It's the only long-format TV thing we have in our game over here. They did a great one from NZ (St Kentigerns?)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Double Take sports were live streaming each GPS match last year with commentary on the match of the round. A great way to spend the Saturday.

Plus, my old school won the title outright last year (drew the last game so didn't go undefeated).
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote:Double Take sports were live streaming each GPS match last year with commentary on the match of the round. A great way to spend the Saturday.

Plus, my old school won the title outright last year (drew the last game so didn't go undefeated).
Congrats!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

shanky wrote:
Thomas wrote:Double Take sports were live streaming each GPS match last year with commentary on the match of the round. A great way to spend the Saturday.

Congrats!
I am very proud of my beer drinking TBH.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:

Congrats!
I am very proud of my beer drinking TBH.

Like this guy?
Spoiler: show
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

I think that is the first time I have seen an Australian equate a draw with a loss.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

poached from Rugby and Samoa.

Loig poaching knows no bounds.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Peaches wrote:poached from Rugby and Samoa.

Not really

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 157b8a3235
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

shanky wrote:
Peaches wrote:poached from Rugby and Samoa.

Not really

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 157b8a3235
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Great clips. Too bad he's going to league. He would've been great in rugby. RA could really have done with him.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Auckman wrote:Great clips. Too bad he's going to league. He would've been great in rugby. RA could really have done with him.
With unlimited money? Sure.

500k/year for a 16 year old? No f**king way.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Zakar wrote:
Auckman wrote:Great clips. Too bad he's going to league. He would've been great in rugby. RA could really have done with him.
With unlimited money? Sure.

Stupid money indeed. Where does the NRL get that kind of dosh? All from broadcast?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Are loads of these guys playing rugby league as well? Their tackling technique is very league-style?
kiap

Post by kiap »

Auckman wrote:
Zakar wrote:With unlimited money? Sure.

Stupid money indeed. Where does the NRL get that kind of dosh? All from broadcast?
I think RA can't even pay 500k for some Wallabies.

Even with their "shit" new deal, NRL will still have a third of a billion per year to play with...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Lemoentjie wrote:

Are loads of these guys playing rugby league as well? Their tackling technique is very league-style?
Probably not. Only the elite would have been able to play league as well as union (the BBC 13 Howarth was one of them). Some of them might have played league as a junior. Both schools have a large boarding population and the kids from the bush probably grew up playing rugby league. There isn't much junior rugby union outside of the large cities and towns.
shanky

Post by shanky »

In the School system (as an example, particularly the Brisbane GPS system, because they give so many scholarships out) - is one of the few times the Union pathway can compete with league

A good young league player at (say 13-15 years) might be on a $200/yr peppercorn 'retainer' by the local league club. That they can then get a scholarship to a big school worth $30k/yr is a major benefit to his family and you'd be mad not to take it.

Some league clubs try and side-step this Union-friendly incentive by actually paying the lad's school fees, thus keeping him away from the Union clutches and loyal to the club. Since you can't actually sign them up that young, it's a game about creating loyalty.

This happens everyday in junior footy. In my opinion, a young star (i.e. someone who features in higher rep teams, early on) will almost certainly have a file opened on him quickly. Very few early-showing talent is missed by the systems

It's the kids who come good at 18-19 who often get missed because they're not 'on the pathway'.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

shanky wrote: It's the kids who come good at 18-19 who often get missed because they're not 'on the pathway'.

The "pathways" issue gets raised a lot. I have always assumed that if a kid is good enough, and has enough drive, is willing to work hard enough, he (or she) will make it. Mark Nawaqinatawase made it, I do not know his whole story, maybe he had a leg up from someone, but he seems to have been picked for the u20 National team from Eastwood reserve grade? Hardly a gilded pathway, I would have thought. He was playing junior league a couple of years ago.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

wamberal99 wrote:
shanky wrote: It's the kids who come good at 18-19 who often get missed because they're not 'on the pathway'.

The "pathways" issue gets raised a lot. I have always assumed that if a kid is good enough, and has enough drive, is willing to work hard enough, he (or she) will make it. Mark Nawaqinatawase made it, I do not know his whole story, maybe he had a leg up from someone, but he seems to have been picked for the u20 National team from Eastwood reserve grade? Hardly a gilded pathway, I would have thought. He was playing junior league a couple of years ago.
I think the dudes last name almost 100% guarantees him a Wallabies wing spot. :lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

wamberal99 wrote:

A good example, went to a non-famous school (St Pats), got missed. Got found again as he was leaving school

He's an exceptional talent though. Was likely to break through at some point.

There's others who might make it but end up playing club footy. I'm not saying there's millions of them (the system is pretty efficient) but they're there.

Will Miller is a good example.
shanky

Post by shanky »

UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

I think the dudes last name almost 100% guarantees him a Wallabies wing spot. :lol:
Because of his Italian grandfather, you think?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

shanky wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Well you did have Campo for a number of years, but not sure how you moved from a persons last name to their Italian grandfather.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

shanky wrote:In the School system (as an example, particularly the Brisbane GPS system, because they give so many scholarships out) - is one of the few times the Union pathway can compete with league

A good young league player at (say 13-15 years) might be on a $200/yr peppercorn 'retainer' by the local league club. That they can then get a scholarship to a big school worth $30k/yr is a major benefit to his family and you'd be mad not to take it.

Some league clubs try and side-step this Union-friendly incentive by actually paying the lad's school fees, thus keeping him away from the Union clutches and loyal to the club. Since you can't actually sign them up that young, it's a game about creating loyalty.

This happens everyday in junior footy. In my opinion, a young star (i.e. someone who features in higher rep teams, early on) will almost certainly have a file opened on him quickly. Very few early-showing talent is missed by the systems

It's the kids who come good at 18-19 who often get missed because they're not 'on the pathway'.
I believe the Brisbane Broncos paid Ponga's school fees (around $20K a year)...joke's on them though because he didn't sign with them.
shanky

Post by shanky »

UncleFB wrote:
shanky wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Well you did have Campo for a number of years, but not sure how you moved from a persons last name to their Italian grandfather.
Just following your schtick bait
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

wamberal99 wrote:

Scott Higginbotham played in the 4ths (I think) at TSS. He was more interested in surfing. I love stories like that.

I've seen scouts at a few of my son's matches. There are a couple of kids in his team who you just know will play professional rugby (league or union) when they get older. You can literally see it happen in front of you. Kids evolving into absolute weapons,
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Scott Higginbotham played in the 4ths (I think) at TSS. He was more interested in surfing. I love stories like that.

I've seen scouts at a few of my son's matches. There are a couple of kids in his team who you just know will play professional rugby (league or union) when they get older. You can literally see it happen in front of you. Kids evolving into absolute weapons,
While I think the rugby pathway 'system' is pretty good at identifying junior talent, I also think it is flawed in a major way, and this shows itself when guys are in their 20s.

All the super-talent is sucked away to league, the next-tier talent gives it away and many Super-level sides are left struggling for a bit of depth.