No More laughing.

All things Rugby
Clive

No More laughing.

Post by Clive »

I see that Fawlty towers, the episode with the Germans is being taken off The Beeb, a long list of shows now under attack from simple minded dick heads with think its offensive.
Why has the creator of Bo Selector apologised, for portraying M Jackson or Craig David, they were characters that had little to do with the way those people behaved, it Was funny as was Mel C.

I pleased that Harry Enfield defended his portrayal of Nelson Mandela, who in his show was a drug dealer and selling Alco pops to kids, very funny episode.

Till Death do Us part, Rising damp and other shows were well written and well acted, great comedy but it seems we live in a ultra sensitive era where only political correct comedy will do, where will the next batch of great writers and comedy actors come from, it looks like there won't be any.

And yet it seems Ok to show film like Pulp Fiction where the nigger word is used quite often usually black to black actor that seems fine (love the film), The people caving in to this should stand up to this nonsense, and not be dictated to by idiots, but it looks like quality comedy is now a thing of the past something along with British history needs to erased, so no more laughing.
C69

Re: No More laughing.

Post by C69 »

Django Unchained goooone
Clive

Post by Clive »

Bimboc69 wrote:Django Unchained goooone
Another great movie.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

#timetokickback

Fungin pc gorn mad.

The South will rise again.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

We will come to a time where the only thing allowed to be shown will be Mrs Browns Boys.
Pole

Post by Pole »

Derwyn wrote:We will come to a time where the only thing allowed to be shown will be Mrs Browns Boys.
That sounds kinda racist...
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Well bugger me. You’re right. It does sound kind of racist.

Seeing that binned would unite this divided land.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Bogbunny wrote:#timetokickback

Fungin pc gorn mad.

The South will rise again.
I don't like your chances.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Netflix had the version of Fawlty Towers that has repeated use of the word nigger to describe the West Indies cricket team. Most people don’t even remember that scene is there because for quite a while it’s been cut from the version on TV. Somehow the streaming services had the old version. They’ve taken it down to replace it with the version that has the offending scene cut out.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

I posted on another thread but i'm surprised South Park hasn't come under fire. One of their two main black characters is called Token Black :lol:
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Bimboc69 wrote:Django Unchained goooone
Pretty much any of Tentin Quarantino’s movies are for the bin now.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Biffer29 wrote:Netflix had the version of Fawlty Towers that has repeated use of the word nigger to describe the West Indies cricket team. Most people don’t even remember that scene is there because for quite a while it’s been cut from the version on TV. Somehow the streaming services had the old version. They’ve taken it down to replace it with the version that has the offending scene cut out.
Exactly this. It was just a few services that still had the unedited version in place (I don't think I've ever seen that version myself to be honest).
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Raggs wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:Netflix had the version of Fawlty Towers that has repeated use of the word nigger to describe the West Indies cricket team. Most people don’t even remember that scene is there because for quite a while it’s been cut from the version on TV. Somehow the streaming services had the old version. They’ve taken it down to replace it with the version that has the offending scene cut out.
Exactly this. It was just a few services that still had the unedited version in place (I don't think I've ever seen that version myself to be honest).

You should. It's to the point and funny with it.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Fresh Prince of Bel Air should go too.

Full of racial stereotypes.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Any news on when White Chicks is being banned?
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Maniototo Man wrote:Fresh Prince of Bel Air should go too.

It’s just a story all about how his life got flipped, turned upside down.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I have theorized for quite a few years that social-justice-warrioring comes predominantly from people who are so privileged and have so little actual real problems to worry about that they basically have to make shit up in order to feel progressive and relevant in their no-doubt incredibly boring and mundane existences.

Well, my guess is that coronavirus and everyone working at home and putting a halt to many normal everyday activities has just lit a blow-torch under that kettle of fish.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

The fuck? I'd never heard this before. How was that deemed ok in the 1970s when it first aired? I know people were a lot more racist then than now, but I didn't think it was to that extent and had always thought the n-word was more of a Yank thing. If they were going to be that racist I would have expected 'wog from Brits.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

sockwithaticket wrote:
The fuck? I'd never heard this before. How was that deemed ok in the 1970s when it first aired? I know people were a lot more racist then than now, but I didn't think it was to that extent and had always thought the n-word was more of a Yank thing. If they were going to be that racist I would have expected 'wog from Brits.
They used both the n and w words in the scene. The issue was covered in the Guardian a while back.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... r-gowen-is
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

sockwithaticket wrote:
It was deemed ok because,
(a) it reflected something that was still relatively common in society at the time and,
(b) those words were put into the mouth of the Major for the purpose of ridiculing them and holding racists up to comtempt.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Tropic Thunder ftw.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

koroke hangareka wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
It was deemed ok because,
(a) it reflected something that was still relatively common in society at the time and,
(b) those words were put into the mouth of the Major for the purpose of ridiculing them and holding racists up to comtempt.
Many people seem to get blinded the moment they see a racist or discriminatory term or image and as a result completely fail to see that they are often being used to ridicule those attitudes rather than promote them.
Dark

Post by Dark »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Posted a link to it on the other thread.

About 7 minutes in from memory

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6te9be
Dark

Post by Dark »

Sorry

about 6 minutes 40 looking at it again
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Maniototo Man wrote:Fresh Prince of Bel Air should go too.

I take you've not seen a Tyler Perry show / film? :)
SEAsianExpat

Post by SEAsianExpat »

I wonder how long it will be before 'Blazing Saddles' gets banned forevermore for being "offensive"?

Assuming it isn't already, of course.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Mog The Almighty wrote:I have theorized for quite a few years that social-justice-warrioring comes predominantly from people who are so privileged and have so little actual real problems to worry about that they basically have to make shit up in order to feel progressive and relevant in their no-doubt incredibly boring and mundane existences.

Well, my guess is that coronavirus and everyone working at home and putting a halt to many normal everyday activities has just lit a blow-torch under that kettle of fish.
I think you're right Mog. Somewhere along the line perfectly reasonable requests for fairness and equality have been hijacked into an endless battle over statues and sit coms.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

sockwithaticket wrote:
The comedy in it was the racist old major being offended by a woman at the cricket using the wrong racist term. She’d been calling the Indians n*****s and he’d been heatedly telling her she was wrong, the Indians were w**s and it was the West Indies who were n*****s.

You can see from that that it’s the racist we’re meant to be laughing at with his taking offence at at a racist word not because it’s racist but because she’s not using it properly, but it’s a bit much nowadays tbh.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Clive wrote:I see that Fawlty towers, the episode with the Germans is being taken off The Beeb, a long list of shows now under attack from simple minded dick heads with think its offensive.
Why has the creator of Bo Selector apologised, for portraying M Jackson or Craig David, they were characters that had little to do with the way those people behaved, it Was funny as was Mel C.

I pleased that Harry Enfield defended his portrayal of Nelson Mandela, who in his show was a drug dealer and selling Alco pops to kids, very funny episode.

Till Death do Us part, Rising damp and other shows were well written and well acted, great comedy but it seems we live in a ultra sensitive era where only political correct comedy will do, where will the next batch of great writers and comedy actors come from, it looks like there won't be any.

And yet it seems Ok to show film like Pulp Fiction where the n***** word is used quite often usually black to black actor that seems fine (love the film), The people caving in to this should stand up to this nonsense, and not be dictated to by idiots, but it looks like quality comedy is now a thing of the past something along with British history needs to erased, so no more laughing.
UKTV took the episode down themselves, there was no mass complaint for it to go, I think they jumped the gun but that's up to them.

SEAsianExpat wrote:I wonder how long it will be before 'Blazing Saddles' gets banned forevermore for being "offensive"?

You should look into how hard a time they had getting it made, back then you weren't allowed to show cowboys as anything other than good old god fearing justice warriors.
the curse

Post by the curse »

I assume the All Blacks will now not be acceptable?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

#allblacksmustfall :o
Dark

Post by Dark »

SEAsianExpat wrote:I wonder how long it will be before 'Blazing Saddles' gets banned forevermo
re for being "offensive"?

Good point actually.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Dark wrote:
SEAsianExpat wrote:I wonder how long it will be before 'Blazing Saddles' gets banned forevermo

Good point actually.
Yeah a story where the black guy is smart and savy and outwits the completely knuckle-headed white good old boys and saves the day. The movie is clearly anti-racist.

But ...they dared play up a few racial stereotypes in the name of comedy. RACISTS!!! KKK! It's neo-nazis and the Klan combined. I'm so outraged.

The world is going nuts.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Dark wrote:

Good point actually.
Telegram for mungo.
Clive

Post by Clive »

bessantj wrote:
Clive wrote:I see that Fawlty towers, the episode with the Germans is being taken off The Beeb, a long list of shows now under attack from simple minded dick heads with think its offensive.

And yet it seems Ok to show film like Pulp Fiction where the n***** word is used quite often usually black to black actor that seems fine (love the film), The people caving in to this should stand up to this nonsense, and not be dictated to by idiots, but it looks like quality comedy is now a thing of the past something along with British history needs to erased, so no more laughing.
UKTV took the episode down themselves, there was no mass complaint for it to go, I think they jumped the gun but that's up to them.

SEAsianExpat wrote:I wonder how long it will be before 'Blazing Saddles' gets banned forevermore for being "offensive"?

You should look into how hard a time they had getting it made, back then you weren't allowed to show cowboys as anything other than good old god fearing justice warriors.
Uk TV have no right to take it down the vast majority of people Including a Black family will find FT to be one of the finest sit coms ever made, what these companies are doing is saying to young actors and writers is don't take risks, Do we take down Some mothers Do Ave Um because its portraying A bumbling idiot, all comedy has a targets and in the case of most 70's shows the target is how idiotic the white guy is, Alf Garnet, Rigsby to name but 2.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Clive wrote:
bessantj wrote:

Uk TV have no right to take it down the vast majority of people Including a Black family will find FT to be one of the finest sit coms ever made, what these companies are doing is saying to young actors and writers is don't take risks, Do we take down Some mothers Do Ave Um because its portraying A bumbling idiot, all comedy has a targets and in the case of most 70's shows the target is how idiotic the white guy is, Alf Garnet, Rigsby to name but 2.
I think they have every right to decide what they broadcast on their streaming site. They’re under no obligation to you or anyone else.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Clive wrote:Uk TV have no right to take it down the vast majority of people Including a Black family will find FT to be one of the finest sit coms ever made, what these companies are doing is saying to young actors and writers is don't take risks, Do we take down Some mothers Do Ave Um because its portraying A bumbling idiot, all comedy has a targets and in the case of most 70's shows the target is how idiotic the white guy is, Alf Garnet, Rigsby to name but 2.
Actually they have every right to take it down. No doubt they'll put it back up and either cut that scene or censor the words. Or maybe do nothing I don't know. As for taking risks most every business is risk adverse.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Dark wrote:

Good point actually.
Yeah a story where the black guy is smart and savy and outwits the completely knuckle-headed white good old boys and saves the day. The movie is clearly anti-racist.

But ...they dared play up a few racial stereotypes in the name of comedy. RACISTS!!! KKK! It's neo-nazis and the Klan combined. I'm so outraged.

The world is going nuts.
Indeed. And some extremely funny scenes.

But will probably be banned
Diego

Post by Diego »

I just hope the jive cats in Airplane live to see 2021
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Oh and as we speak:

Fawlty Towers: The Germans episode to be reinstated by UKTV
A classic episode of the comedy Fawlty Towers will be reinstated to streaming service UKTV with a warning about "offensive content and language".
There we go Clive.