Das Boot

All things Rugby
terryfinch

Das Boot

Post by terryfinch »

Just binged watched both series. Quite simply superb. Nothing on TV with that amount of tension and loads of great characters. :thumbup:
Frodder

Re: Das Boot

Post by Frodder »

Watched the first series which was off scale great. It also made me watch the original again for the umpteenth time.

Can't wait to watch the 2nd series
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Wow, I wasn't even aware a series had been made!

Looks like that's this evening sorted....
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

The original, full length, deserves a shot as the best (anti) war "film" ever.

I enjoyed series I although some of it was highly improbable and it introduced some historical inaccuracy. Have recorded II to watch later.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

which one is the true original, 1981 film or 1985 mini-series ?
Torquemada 1420

Akkerman wrote:which one is the true original, 1981 film or 1985 mini-series ?
The film was first. The series shown in the UK was 6 part of approx 5 hours. There was then a director's cut of the film which was about 3 hrs.

May have mislead you: by original series I meant if contrast to these later 2 series.

What I liked about the series was how it captured the real part of U-Boat life: the long passages of boredom and confinement.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Four and a half fun filled hours!
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
The film was first. The series shown in the UK was 6 part of approx 5 hours. There was then a director's cut of the film which was about 3 hrs.

May have mislead you: by original series I meant if contrast to these later 2 series.

What I liked about the series was how it captured the real part of U-Boat life: the long passages of boredom and confinement.
thanks, I remember watching the film, must have been the first cut, not director's
i'll see which of these i can find to watch as a precursor to the new series
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Akkerman wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

thanks, I remember watching the film, must have been the first cut, not director's
i'll see which of these i can find to watch as a precursor to the new series
The Directors cut is the best version. The directors commentary is interesting as well.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Series 2 of Das Re-Boot is on Sky now. I've watched the first 6 episodes. 2 left.
Parts of it are very dark but overall the tension is fantastic.
Looks like they'll be making another series or two of it. :thumbup:
usermame

Post by usermame »

The film was laughable compared to the novel.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

usermame wrote:The film was laughable compared to the novel.
It was more interesting, for sure.

The chapter labelled 'storm' is the sort of thing that gives books a bad name.
Torquemada 1420

Really not sure what you are trying to say here.
- that Buchheim's book is so good because it was better than the highly regarded film
- that you are simply being dismissive of the film
- or maybe that the film was (as is common in screen adaptations) a poor or inaccurate representation of the book
KnuckleDragger

Post by KnuckleDragger »

I quite liked the slot machine version.....
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

terryfinch wrote:Just binged watched both series. Quite simply superb. Nothing on TV with that amount of tension and loads of great characters. :thumbup:
It is excellent. Not a lot of happy outcomes though.
pigaaaa

Post by pigaaaa »

On Which platform is it available?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

pigaaaa wrote:On Which platform is it available?
In the UK, it's on Sky
Torquemada 1420

BlackMac wrote:
terryfinch wrote:Just binged watched both series. Quite simply superb. Nothing on TV with that amount of tension and loads of great characters. :thumbup:
It is excellent. Not a lot of happy outcomes though.
TFFT. Kinda the whole idea of it being anti-war. Not your usual, American sh*te where the hero single-handedly defeats legions before coming home to Dorothy, Lassie and apple pie.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Can't hold a candle to u571 and 47hours of Jon Bon Jovi hearing splashes...
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

I prefered. Das Boobs.

Campy German Sex Farce....

Seaman Greta and Seaman Marleena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmJoHeexejY
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

moosehead wrote:I prefered. Das Boobs.

Campy German Sex Farce....

Seaman Greta and Seaman Marleena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmJoHeexejY
Shame they couldn't get Senta Berger to guest star!

... and to each their own in their comedic tastes. Rarely ever found SCTV funny. :?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I disappointed the series ignored our brave lads who risked life and limb to sell the lads diesel
usermame

Post by usermame »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
- that Buchheim's book is so good because it was better than the highly regarded film
- or maybe that the film was (as is common in screen adaptations) a poor or inaccurate representation of the book
And boring clunky cinema as well, with its bath tub models that required levels of suspension of disbelief I was not able to achieve.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Mullet 2 wrote:I disappointed the series ignored our brave lads who risked life and limb to sell the lads diesel

One of your lads made an appearance as a police chief in US, trying to help the Nazis by blowing up US naval bases. His rationale was “do anything to stop British and Russian empire building”.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

terryfinch wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I disappointed the series ignored our brave lads who risked life and limb to sell the lads diesel
Spoiler: show
One of your lads made an appearance as a police chief in US, trying to help the Nazis by blowing up US naval bases. His rationale was “do anything to stop British and Russian empire building”.
Spoilers in case others haven't seen it yet.
Whatever about the Irish involvement, I'd like to read material as to whether there was an undercurrent of German support in the US early on in the war, particularly if there was a strong anti-communist sentiment at the time.
Torquemada 1420

usermame wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
And boring clunky cinema as well, with its bath tub models that required levels of suspension of disbelief I was not able to achieve.
Well, statistically, not everyone is ever going to agree when critiquing a film and that view would make you very much the outlier.

The interior filming using the hand held Arriflex has been widely (and rightly IMHO) regarded as a masterpiece of conveying the claustrophobic environment the sailors suffered.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
usermame wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Well, statistically, not everyone is ever going to agree when critiquing a film and that view would make you very much the outlier.

The interior filming using the hand held Arriflex has been widely (and rightly IMHO) regarded as a masterpiece of conveying the claustrophobic environment the sailors suffered.
The camera had gyroscopes fitted which were so noisy that most of the interior scenes are dubbed.
Torquemada 1420

dinsdale wrote:The camera had gyroscopes fitted which were so noisy that most of the interior scenes are dubbed.
Kinda! The normal stabilised cameras could not be used: they were too big and although the tack accurate set could have the side removed,
I don't think it ever was. So they had to use the adapted Arriflex but it was not so much that the gyros were noisy per se but that the noise
was amplified and echoed because of the confines of the set.

It was what is was. The conditions and tech (and maybe budget) of the time demanded compromises and innovative solutions. The silent filming was one.

I don't see it as an obvious distraction not least because only uber-geeks of the film noticed or knew of this.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
dinsdale wrote:The camera had gyroscopes fitted which were so noisy that most of the interior scenes are dubbed.
Kinda! The normal stabilised cameras could not be used: they were too big and although the tack accurate set could have the side removed,
I don't think it ever was. So they had to use the adapted Arriflex but it was not so much that the gyros were noisy per se but that the noise
was amplified and echoed because of the confines of the set.

It was what is was. The conditions and tech (and maybe budget) of the time demanded compromises and innovative solutions. The silent filming was one.

I don't see it as an obvious distraction not least because only uber-geeks of the film noticed or knew of this.
I only found out from watching the directors commentary :) I think the interior scenes are among the best ever filmed. Also several scenes were re-dubbed for the directors cut as some of the actors had learnt to speak English by then.
Torquemada 1420

dinsdale wrote: I only found out from watching the directors commentary :) I think the interior scenes are among the best ever filmed. Also several scenes were re-dubbed for the directors cut as some of the actors had learnt to speak English by then.
Agree. Up there with 12 Angry Men. So good, that it strays into 1st rate docu-drama unintentionally.

Always try to avoid dub versions. It's not just the lipsync but the whole intonation thing is lost.

Funny. I get lost in the versions now so forget which bits are in which issue.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
dinsdale wrote: I only found out from watching the directors commentary :) I think the interior scenes are among the best ever filmed. Also several scenes were re-dubbed for the directors cut as some of the actors had learnt to speak English by then.
Agree. Up there with 12 Angry Men. So good, that it strays into 1st rate docu-drama unintentionally.

Always try to avoid dub versions. It's not just the lipsync but the whole intonation thing is lost.

I avoid dubbed versions, the point with Das Boot is that much of it is dubbed, even in German.
Torquemada 1420

dinsdale wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

I avoid dubbed versions, the point with Das Boot is that much of it is dubbed, even in German.
The upside being it's not glaringly obvious when the dub is the same language. Not speech ceasing whilst the lips are still moving; which is a serious
danger with a language like German.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

There are some truly horrible characters. A bit like Game of Thrones, you think someone can't be any worse and then they exceed your expectations. And then, these characters you hate are actually not that bad, compared to the even nastier bastards that come along!
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Forster's slow "what the fudge is happening" realisation is impressively played.
PUMITA

Post by PUMITA »

Watched the original TV series with Doldingers famous theme. Incredible television and for me one of the finest depictions of modern warfare. In the end when they are killed back at base in St.Nazaire it made me feel rather hollow. Which shows the empathy developed for the characters.

Some of the exteriors work and models look dated but at the time it was and still is incredible drama. The Sinking Of The Laconia is also well worth watching. It led to Donitz ordering U-boat captains not to rescue survivors.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Getting through the first season quickly (thanks COVID :smug: )
Spoiler: show
It is refreshing to see a WW2 series/movie not just of the storyline of macho American soldier shoots up Germans. Certainly the part where they manage to recompress the air to lift themselves is a very nice moment.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Is Ehrenburg supposed to be the same Chief as the guy in the original series/film?

Edit: finished watching the current series. Grim doesn't go far enough to describe that last episode. Anyone who thinks GOT threw up shockers should watch this.
As a series though, it's developing really well. Favourite show on the TV at the moment.