Multi room wireless speakers

All things Rugby
Biffer29

Multi room wireless speakers

Post by Biffer29 »

Anyone got recommendations? Only a small flat so no real problems wrt distance. Just want a multiroom system so I can listen stream in Kitchen, living room and bathroom seamlessly.

Want to be able to connect to TV, phone, ipad and laptop / chromebook
Speakers in 3 / 4 rooms, one of which is a bathroom
Streaming TV, streaming music, live TV, downloaded music and movies
phone + tablet app for control
Should be able to turn speakers on and off from the phone so I can have any room on or all on.
Just me, so doesn't need to be multi user.

Sonos is the shiny one but everything I read says it's coming under a lot of pressure from competition. Any experiences? Stuff to avoid, consider?

Edit - couldn't give a rat's ass about Alexa, echo etc. If I want to know the weather I'll look out the window. I'll likely disable the voice activated commands if I can.
Edinburgh01

Re: Multi room wireless speakers

Post by Edinburgh01 »

I decided to get a TV with poor sound but a great picture as even good TV sound is relatively poor compared to soundbars etc, and decent TV expensive.

I bought a Sonos soundbar and Sonos speakers (for the TV surround and three rooms) for no other reason than Costco had the speakers on offer.

I am very pleased with them. Even if my sons regular demonstrate that the system can do things I never new I needed it to do.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Biffer29 wrote:Anyone got recommendations? Only a small flat so no real problems wrt distance. Just want a multiroom system so I can listen stream in Kitchen, living room and bathroom seamlessly.

Should be able to turn speakers on and off from the phone so I can have any room on or all on.

Sonos is the shiny one but everything I read says it's coming under a lot of pressure from competition. Any experiences? Stuff to avoid, consider?

Edit - couldn't give a rat's ass about Alexa, echo etc. If I want to know the weather I'll look out the window. I'll likely disable the voice activated commands if I can.
Similar situation here - I'm in a one bed apartment and do all of this with various Google Home speakers (you say you don't care about voice commands, and indeed I have the mic switched off on a number of them... especially the bathroom one! That said, fairly handy to be able to shout across the room to play a particular song, radio station, whatever).

They're cheap (sometimes free), you can play music (from services like spotify) to one or to multiple speakers in groups you set-up, using your phone/ tablet/ (voice)/ whatever to control. You can use chromecasts (both regular and chromecast audio) to turn TVs and any audio device with an aux port into another speaker.

What's not 100% met from your requirements list is streaming (audio) from TV and movies (you can watch some TV services on the google devices which have screens... dunno how available those devices and services are outside the US). I think the Amazon alexa speakers probably let you do everything I do with my Google speakers but also can play audio from movies/ TV. Again, just mute the mic if you don't care about voice control
rustycruiser

Post by rustycruiser »

A cheaper entry into the Sonos universe is the Ikea branded Sonos speaker : SYMFONISK WiFi speakers
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Denon do something similar with their HEOS system, all app controlled but I have found their reliability a bit shaky when it comes to network stability.

Yamaha also have a system called Music Cast. Far more stable and what I run at home. A little cheaper than Sonos

The advantage of these is that if you, at a later stage, decide you want to go to a full audio setup, their high end stuff integrates with it very well.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Sonos One’s or Fives. I have both. 2 x Ones in larger living/kitchen/dining, 1 x 5 in smaller lounge. They’re great.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Can’t really answer without a budget or what you’re hoping to achieve sound quality wise.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Sonos all the way. The fact that they're now under some pressure is a very good thing - the rate of development has improved significantly, and the new OS promises to enable a lot of future development. And theit mobile app is generally acknowledged to be the best on the market by some distance
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

cubby boi wrote:Can’t really answer without a budget or what you’re hoping to achieve sound quality wise.
Yup.

I personally really don't like Sonos sound quality, so if that's a thing for you make sure to test it out.

If then you think you really need something else, try a Naim Qubo, or KEF wireless speakers. You really don't need two kidneys, tbh.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

clydecloggie wrote:
cubby boi wrote:Can’t really answer without a budget or what you’re hoping to achieve sound quality wise.
Yup.

I personally really don't like Sonos sound quality, so if that's a thing for you make sure to test it out.
A thing for you? Everyone wants it to sound good, appreciate one can spend and keep spending on that front. But I like Sonos and don’t have an issue with sound quality. I have trialled a Sonos sub of my fathers with the 2 x Ones and while it definitely enhances the sound, I haven’t stumped up for one yet and mostly don’t miss it, except for some heavier stuff.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

You’ll pay budget audiophile system money for Sonos and get tiny speakers with no dynamic range and a streaming system incapable of hi-res music. Even amazon music have gone hi-res now.

Again, hard to know without a budget, but I’d look at a “wireless” Hi-Fi streamer for your living room like the excellent Denon N10. Hi-res High quality sound coupled with a pair of speakers from the q acoustic 3000 range. 3030 for bookshelves or 3050 for towers.£450 - £600 all in for the living room. It has heos built in, so then add heos wireless speakers for the other rooms. All easily controlled by smartphone or Alexa.
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

mr bungle wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Yup.

A thing for you? Everyone wants it to sound good, appreciate one can spend and keep spending on that front. But I like Sonos and don’t have an issue with sound quality. I have trialled a Sonos sub of my fathers with the 2 x Ones and while it definitely enhances the sound, I haven’t stumped up for one yet and mostly don’t miss it, except for some heavier stuff.
You'd be surprised how many people don't really care about sound quality. One of my best mates is a total music nut but listens to it on a £80 thing - it does my head in. All he wants is a recognisable melody and clear vocals, which most cheap stuff will give you. Bass guitars, cymbals and subtle textures are not for him.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Lots of rumours that Apple are on the verge of acquiring Sonos
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

I have 2 Panasonic GA10 google speakers which work as multiroom.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Biffer29 wrote:Anyone got recommendations? Only a small flat so no real problems wrt distance. Just want a multiroom system so I can listen stream in Kitchen, living room and bathroom seamlessly.

So what did you go with?
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Edinburgh01 wrote:I decided to get a TV with poor sound but a great picture as even good TV sound is relatively poor compared to soundbars etc, and decent TV expensive.
Yup. By definition, flat-screen TV = sh*t sound. Way sh*ttier than even an 1970's TV. Because no-one is going to build in electrostatics or ribbon speakers into
a throw-away-every-3-years TV.

Personally, I've found the sound quality of wireless speakers underwhelming and over priced (Sonos is just expensive, lift music**) and so agree that the sound bar option is a good one.

** You'd be better with wireless headphones.

[EDIT] The OP question highlights the dichotomy that arises when seeking sound quality and convenience.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Personally, I've found the sound quality of wireless speakers underwhelming and over priced (Sonos is just expensive, lift music**) and so agree that the sound bar option is a good one.

As if I'd endure that kind of sound quality :roll: . There are of course a seemingly infinite number of hifi quality speakers available and an ever increasing budget that goes with them, but you're talking shite.
Torquemada 1420

mr bungle wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

As if I'd endure that kind of sound quality :roll: . There are of course a seemingly infinite number of hifi quality speakers available and an ever increasing budget that goes with them, but you're talking shite.
I'm all ears, as it were, Mr Expert. Please don't bother replying with whatever you've googled.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

I'm all ears, as it were, Mr Expert. Please don't bother replying with whatever you've googled.
Why don’t you use google yourself and find a review that backs up your claim they’re expensive lift music. You’re the one pertaining to be the expert.

Like I said, there are a large amount of quality speaker brands on the market, and small to large budgets that go with them. But likening Sonos to ‘lift‘ quality is bullshit.
Torquemada 1420

mr bungle wrote:Why don’t you use google yourself and find a review that backs up your claim they’re expensive lift music. You’re the one pertaining to be the expert.

Like I said, there are a large amount of quality speaker brands on the market, and small to large budgets that go with them. But likening Sonos to ‘lift‘ quality is bullshit.
:lol: Nice sidestep sir. OK. My tuppence worth

1) Sh*t in, sh*t out. Yes, that is not specifically an issue of the speaker design per se, but it has a clear impact. I concede Bluetooth (for example) has gotten hugely better in terms of signal capacity and so the gap between wired is considerably less than it used to be but
- it's still there and
- more pertinently, most stuff streamed is not in lossless formats anyway. It's sh*te like MP3.

2) Component dilution. A trad speaker is just that: speaker parts. Wireless speakers need the additional components to provide DAC and amplification. Therefore a £500 trad has £500 spent on pushing air only whereas a £500 wireless has to spread that cost between drivers, DAC and amplifier. Once for each speaker. Ergo, immediate compromise. Not even going to get into the debate here that not all DACs are equal (i.e. I doubt any manufacturer is great at making speakers, amps and DACs), nor that you can't build a decent amp for that money, into that confined space (because once you get into large, floor-standers, you may as well have wires!). Further, the amp in the same box as the speaker f**ks with the sound.

Of course, with trads, you have to spend the money on the DAC and amp separately and so you could argue that money could be saved and spent on a £1500 set of wireless speakers and so that's a more valid comparison. Except, in my experience, people rarely don't have the DAC/Amp bit already for their hi-fi or surround sound.

3) The advantage of a separate DAC and amp is clear. It's a massive influence on the quality of the sound you get. And in a wireless you have zero control over this. This is the real killer bit for me.

4) There is a reason why next to no old school speaker manufacturers are in the wireless space and why wireless manufacturers aren't in the trad space. They are as different a product design and remit as coffee beans and instant coffee. Wireless is primarily about convenience (which is a legitimate consumer choice). And so stuff like speaker positioning is compromised as is the listening environment and often the listener (e.g. when I'm in the kitchen, I'm moving around....). So striving for fidelity is actually pretty futile. It reminds me of when friends used to spend £00s (equivalent to £000s today) on in-car "hi-fi". The car is about as compromised listening environment there is, short of being deaf.

It's the story of convenience v quality. And, frankly, even if someone manufactured super sounding wireless speakers, it would be largely pointless because all the other compromises in listening environment would swamp it and so you'd be wasting your money.

[EDIT] Sorry. Missed the punchline!! The real snobbery bit is not me (as you're initial post screamed) but in blokes (because it's always blokes) trying to justify over spending on a perceived benefit that does not exist when really it's all about barbecue one-upmanship: my wireless speaker is better than yours.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

My 2p.

As someone who has had two sonos bits for the last 7 years, I've now got rid of them and wouldn't buy another similar product.

I've got AV receivers with bluetooth and multichannel speaker arrays in my lounge kitchen diner and living room, so I don't really need anything else there. I do have an echo for listening to radio 4 in the morning as it's handy to just walk into the kitchen and tell Alexa to play radio 4. I just stream from amazon music on my phone or ipad to the receivers and get amazing sound through my monitor audio radius speakers. A 5.1 sonos array of say the sonos playbar and two sonos ones and sonos sub would cost around £1,600. For that money I can get an AV receiver with bluetooth and 5.1 speaker array that would blow it out of the water soundwise.

I used to have a ZP90 hooked up to an older non-bluetooth receiver in my living room, but my new receivers, which I was buying anyway for Atmos, have bluetooth bult in so I just stream from my phone/ipad and don't need the ZP90 any more.

Upstairs, I've got a soundbar on my TV which also has bluetooth for streaming from my phone/ipad. I've also got a tiny digital amp with bluetooth which drives a ceiling speaker in my en-suite shower room. These are for occasional use and sound quality isn't critical here, so it's cheap and cheerful stuff.

All four of these setups are far more flexible than having sonos or similar in that I can connect loads of things to them and have sound from a far wider range of sources. There is no risk of them being "bricked" at some point - Sonos recently back-tracked from doing so...for now. They are at least as good, if not far better, sound wise. They are all cheaper - the AV receivers and speaker arrays I was buying anyway, so an additional few hundred £ on a separate streaming product is of no benefit here. The soundbar is about the same price as a sonos one and I can connect my TV to it and stream over bluetooth from my phone so it serves two functions and has better sound quality than a sonos one. The tiny amp and ceiling speaker again were about the same price as a sonos one and offer better sound quality and I don't need to have a power point in the bathroom, as the amp is in the bedroom and it's just a bit of speaker cable that runs through the ceiling void.

Other than that, my only need in the future would be something for the kids rooms. At the mo they've got echo dots, but when they start to go to secondary school and get phones then I'll get them something with bluetooth that they can stream to with their phone.

I'm perfectly happy with that set up and don't see any point in having sonos, heos, musicast or similar.

The only thing I think I'm missing out on is the ability to play the same song in different rooms in perfect synchronicity, but then when do I need to do that?

My wife knocked a play 3 over a few months ago and it hit the floor and the grill came partially off. I removed it completely to examine it, which was pretty difficult to do. Having removed the grill I can see why Sonos don't want you to. It looks pretty crappy. I think a lot of people would steer clear if the grill was easy to remove and customers could see what they were buying. I think I paid £250 for my play 3, maybe £300, can't really recall. For £250 I can go to Richersounds and get a bluetooth amp and pair of stereo speakers that would wipe the floor with it.
Torquemada 1420

Cheers mikeyboy. Obviously what you say concurs with much of my own thoughts but, nonetheless, clear that you know your stuff.

The Sonos thing always makes me think of Bang and Olufsen. Very much style (or marketing) over substance which also equates to a commensurate price tag!

Or Macs......
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Yeah, except stereo/or 5.1 separates + two speakers are massive compared with a Sonos 3 in your living room.
Potential marriage killers.

And most £200 stereo amps don't have Bluetooth.

There's equipment for everyone out there and (as someone who also has high-end hifi kit at home) wireless speakers such as Sonos are great for listening to your favourite tunes.
Torquemada 1420

Sandstorm wrote:Yeah, except stereo/or 5.1 separates + two speakers are massive compared with a Sonos 3 in your living room.
Potential marriage killers.

And most £200 stereo amps don't have Bluetooth.

There's equipment for everyone out there and (as someone who also has high-end hifi kit at home) wireless speakers such as Sonos are great for listening to your favourite tunes.
That's the whole point of my post FFS. Wireless is a compromise for convenience which I totally get. What is nonsense is the bollox PR that Sonos (in particular) peddles in regards sound quality (which would be useless anyway in the context of use even if such quality existed) and charges a hefty premium for. Hey. I actually don't care if idiots want to line the pockets of Sonos, B&O, Mac, Gucci, whatever, but don't try and justify it to me on spurious grounds of rational consumption based upon quality.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

I'm very happy with the sound quality of my Naim Muso 2
Torquemada 1420

ovalball wrote:I'm very happy with the sound quality of my Naim Muso 2
Naim are a serious, traditional manufacturer and isn't the Muso a sound-box (or base, or whatever the marketeers call them now) and
so you confirm what mikey and I were saying.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Naim are a serious, traditional manufacturer and isn't the Muso a sound-box (or base, or whatever the marketeers call them now) and
You and Mikey do know your stuff. My first post acknowledged the many products on the market of great quality.

While you may well think Sonos is overpriced for the quality of sound, to call that quality ‘lift’ music is still bullshit.
Torquemada 1420

mr bungle wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
You and Mikey do know your stuff. My first post acknowledged the many products on the market of great quality.

While you may well think Sonos is overpriced for the quality of sound, to call that quality ‘lift’ music is still bullshit.
Yeah. I concede that the comment was mildly disparaging in an attempt to stir some debate Image

That said, after mikey's post, I did some rooting around for the innards of Sonos gear and was quite shocked (look for teardowns) at just how poor the speaker elements were.

This article was quite interesting
https://medium.com/@BenEinstein/what-cr ... ab49155643

and reminded me I forgot another part that is necessary, and hence thins the funds further i.e. the wireless capability (which, incidentally, also chucks out unwanted heat)!
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
What HiFi class it as a (premium) wireless speaker. I also have the Sonos One - I am mildly disappointed with it - but it, then again, it's only about 10% of the price of the Naim. The sound from my 10" Echo Show is better than the Sonos One (IMO). I suspect putting the Sonos in a pair would improve it substantially. The Sonos One also doesn't have Bluetooth, which is annoying. I wouldn't recommend it. I've been quite impressed with the sound quality of the large Echo Show.
Torquemada 1420

ovalball wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
What HiFi class it as a (premium) wireless speaker. I also have the Sonos One - I am mildly disappointed with it - but it, then again, it's only about 10% of the price of the Naim. The sound from my 10" Echo Show is better than the Sonos One (IMO). I suspect putting the Sonos in a pair would improve it substantially. The Sonos One also doesn't have Bluetooth, which is annoying. I wouldn't recommend it. I've been quite impressed with the sound quality of the large Echo Show.
You'd find the article linked in the earlier post an interesting read then because it specifically discusses the Amazon (Echo) v Sonos arena.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
You'd find the article linked in the earlier post an interesting read then because it specifically discusses the Amazon (Echo) v Sonos arena.
Thanks :thumbup: . It's interesting that Naim scoff at the idea of building Alexa (or similar) into their products - shows where their primary focus lies - they expect ther products to be used mostly for higher quality streaming services and clearly don't want to get sidetracked down the 'home automation' route.
Torquemada 1420

ovalball wrote:Thanks :thumbup: . It's interesting that Naim scoff at the idea of building Alexa (or similar) into their products - shows where their primary focus lies - they expect ther products to be used mostly for higher quality streaming services and clearly don't want to get sidetracked down the 'home automation' route.
I think it's the right call. Competing in the box shifting space is suicide. The margins are too small and (as that article highlights) you will get killed by some giant (Amazon, FB, Microsoft) flooding the market with loss leading product aimed to drown the competition.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

Sonos for me but I’m not a music snob. Sonos with Spotify works for me and it’s fairly idiot proof which also helps
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:Sonos for me but I’m not a music snob. Sonos with Spotify works for me and it’s fairly idiot proof which also helps
That's all that matters really.

Luckily, when we were looking at, listening to, systems for our new garden room, Mrs Oval loved the Naim Muso 2 as much as I did. And once she heard it she wasn't impressed with the alternatives - so it wasn't hard to persuade her it was worth the hefty price tag. So, I got lucky.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Like many things, there is a law of diminishing returns that rapidly applies to audio equipment. I totally get that for some people paying many time more for a small percentage improvement is absolutely worthwhile. However, what always frustrates me with "high end" audio though is the sheer amount of snake oil and frankly fraud that is perpetuated within the industry and the complete lack of rationality that some people apply when buying it.

I've had a journey from stuff that whilst never "high end" was definitely "specialist", through Sonos and a NAS full of ripped CDs to now when I just use Amazon echos all over the house and a Spotify subscription. I find that it is perfectly adequate for my listening habits (which generally involve lots of other noise going on all over the house) and the convenience is fantastic.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

A5D5E5 wrote:Like many things, there is a law of diminishing returns that rapidly applies to audio equipment. I totally get that for some people paying many time more for a small percentage improvement is absolutely worthwhile. However, what always frustrates me with "high end" audio though is the sheer amount of snake oil and frankly fraud that is perpetuated within the industry and the complete lack of rationality that some people apply when buying it.

I've had a journey from stuff that whilst never "high end" was definitely "specialist", through Sonos and a NAS full of ripped CDs to now when I just use Amazon echos all over the house and a Spotify subscription. I find that it is perfectly adequate for my listening habits (which generally involve lots of other noise going on all over the house) and the convenience is fantastic.
Undoubtedly true. But if you have the money, and it's what you enjoy, why not. My friend has a top of the range Naim system with speakers that alone cost many thousands - she has it in a seperate music room and it certainly sounds fantastic - she also has a fully equipped cinema room with Dolby Atmos - which is amazing.

But whatever you use, it's the media that really matters. You can still really enjoy good music on a cheap phone and a decent but inexpensive pair of earbuds - and I often do.

The danger of expensive audio equipment is that you start listening to the quality of the Hi Fi rather than the music itself.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Naim are serious separates manufacturers. Amps, cd players etc. They are not recognised speaker manufacturers. As such a big name name in the audio world though, you’d hope that they’d do a pretty decent job on the speakers. What they can’t do however, is create a proper stereo image from a single point in the room. So £1200 for a box able to play high quality music sources at a decent mono reproduction.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Lorthern Nights wrote:Sonos for me but I’m not a music snob. Sonos with Spotify works for me and it’s fairly idiot proof which also helps
I’d say that’s exactly what you are!

You’re buying amazon echo grade audio for 5+ times the price because you think the brand is trendy. You’d be much better served filling your house with echos for background music and then splashing on a proper system for your main listening room.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

cubby boi wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Naim are serious separates manufacturers. Amps, cd players etc. They are not recognised speaker manufacturers. As such a big name name in the audio world though, you’d hope that they’d do a pretty decent job on the speakers. What they can’t do however, is create a proper stereo image from a single point in the room. So £1200 for a box able to play high quality music sources at a decent mono reproduction.
Yep - it is stereo but unless you are fairly close, and almost directly in front of it, you don't get the benefit of a good stereo image. But there just wasn't anywhere suitable, in our new room, to have seperate speakers - and I also wanted it to double as a sound bar for the tv, via an HDMI link run through the wall.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

cubby boi wrote:
I’d say that’s exactly what you are!

You’re buying amazon echo grade audio for 5+ times the price because you think the brand is trendy. You’d be much better served filling your house with echos for background music and then splashing on a proper system for your main listening room.
Point of order, the Sonos One is most closely compared to the Amazon Echo Studio. Both retail for $199 in the US and the Sonos usually pips the Echo Studio in tech geeks head to head. Not a huge outlay for some who want simple point and shoot so to speak of audio from device to speaker.