Multi room wireless speakers

All things Rugby
Lorthern Nights

Re: Multi room wireless speakers

Post by Lorthern Nights »

cubby boi wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:Sonos for me but I’m not a music snob. Sonos with Spotify works for me and it’s fairly idiot proof which also helps
I’d say that’s exactly what you are!

You’re buying amazon echo grade audio for 5+ times the price because you think the brand is trendy. You’d be much better served filling your house with echos for background music and then splashing on a proper system for your main listening room.
Other than i bought the first of my sonos kit before Amazon with echo were even in the market with their stuff and it is far easier for me to add more sonos kit to my existing system.

Ovals,

I agree if you can afford it, go for it. Much like i do with sonos, the ease with which it works for me does the trick and the price tag didnt really come into even though it is quite punchy.

I'm wanting to buy their sound bar for one of my tellys but it is curved and they dont do a curved sound bar so havent yet worked out how to stick the sound bar onto a hung curved telly, any thought son this would be appreciated hcaps.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:Sonos for me but I’m not a music snob. Sonos with Spotify works for me and it’s fairly idiot proof which also helps

You’re buying amazon echo grade audio for 5+ times the price because you think the brand is trendy. You’d be much better served filling your house with echos for background music and then splashing on a proper system for your main listening room.
Other than i bought the first of my sonos kit before Amazon with echo were even in the market with their stuff and it is far easier for me to add more sonos kit to my existing system.

Ovals,

I agree if you can afford it, go for it. Much like i do with sonos, the ease with which it works for me does the trick and the price tag didnt really come into even though it is quite punchy.

I'm wanting to buy their sound bar for one of my tellys but it is curved and they dont do a curved sound bar so havent yet worked out how to stick the sound bar onto a hung curved telly, any thought son this would be appreciated hcaps.
There's no obvious solution - but, as long as the sound bar is mounted so that the curve of the tv is within the depth of the soundbar, I think it would look fine. We have our Muso several inches below the tv, for aesthetic reasons, and it doesn't sound detached from the vision - so you can get away with not having it butting right up to the tv.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

How do you find your curved TV? I always thought them a silly fad.
Lorthern Nights

mr bungle wrote:
What it's good for is the light reflection as in you dont get the glare on the tv when the sun can be coming through at that awkward angle and aesthetically it looks better int he corner of the room. As for performance over a flat telly, much and such tbh.
ovalball wrote:
There's no obvious solution - but, as long as the sound bar is mounted so that the curve of the tv is within the depth of the soundbar, I think it would look fine. We have our Muso several inches below the tv, for aesthetic reasons, and it doesn't sound detached from the vision - so you can get away with not having it butting right up to the tv.
Thanks ovals, will look into a bit further. I've put up with shite tv sound for ages now with it but finally want to get around to sorting it out properly
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I purchased a new flat screen last year and was a little wary of the glare. Our other tv is an older plasma always talked of as good to prevent glare, and the new one has no issues.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Is your curved tv wall hung?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
What it's good for is the light reflection as in you dont get the glare on the tv when the sun can be coming through at that awkward angle and aesthetically it looks better int he corner of the room. As for performance over a flat telly, much and such tbh.
ovalball wrote:
Thanks ovals, will look into a bit further. I've put up with shite tv sound for ages now with it but finally want to get around to sorting it out properly
I'm a big fan of having good sound for the tv. I have a Denon Dolby Atmos system with 7.1 speakers (but no ceiling speakers) for our main tv. I need to get around to upgrading the centre speaker which is the most important one. I should probably get a nice Kef one to match the side ones.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

I’ve got there big Sonos thingy for the TV, are two of the “1”’s worth it as an addition , down to 340 quid for a pair.
Last edited by bimboman on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorthern Nights

mr bungle wrote:Is your curved tv wall hung?
Yeah, which makes the whole soundbar thing a pain in the hoop
Lorthern Nights

ovalball wrote:
I'm a big fan of having good sound for the tv. I have a Denon Dolby Atmos system with 7.1 speakers (but no ceiling speakers) for our main tv. I need to get around to upgrading the centre speaker which is the most important one. I should probably get a nice Kef one to match the side ones.
I'm actually looking at buying a cinema system at the moment and the local guys who were demoing it pre-COVID lockdown blew me away with the sound. The picture is very good dont get me wrong but the sound was oustanding, even got the wife convinced who thought it was a totally unnecessary extravagance but once she heard it and saw the effect she was onboard as well.

Now just holding off a wee bit hoping there will be a VAT cut which obviously appeals to my Scottish heart and purse strings.

The sound bar is just for family room and i do need to get it sorted as the tv sound is crap.
Lorthern Nights

bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

I’ve got there big Sonos thingy for the TV, are two of the “1”’s worth it as an addition , down to 340 quid for a pair.
They also have the new beam which with the "1's" as you say will do the trick, i dont need anything too fancy for this tv just need better sound. Already got the 1's which i can just take from other rooms that arent used that much
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Can’t vouch for the quality, but you can get 65” and 55” and probably other sizes of these...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/audio-video/ ... -J8500RXU/
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

They also have the new beam which with the "1's" as you say will do the trick, i dont need anything too fancy for this tv just need better sound. Already got the 1's which i can just take from other rooms that arent used that much

I’ll be moving them from lounge to Kitchen so not far. Will use App with telly, but otherwise streaming from iPad.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:
I'm actually looking at buying a cinema system at the moment and the local guys who were demoing it pre-COVID lockdown blew me away with the sound. The picture is very good dont get me wrong but the sound was oustanding, even got the wife convinced who thought it was a totally unnecessary extravagance but once she heard it and saw the effect she was onboard as well.

Now just holding off a wee bit hoping there will be a VAT cut which obviously appeals to my Scottish heart and purse strings.

The sound bar is just for family room and i do need to get it sorted as the tv sound is crap.
You won't regret it - and a decent one is not really that expensive - the speakers actually cost me more than the processor (although do not waste money on expensive rear speakers). The centre, front sides and Sub woofer need to be good but the others don't matter much. I didn't spend a fortune on mine. The processor was about £500, the sub woofer about £200, the front sides, with stands, about £600 - the rest I had from a previous system. Mine's a fairly modest system but you can still get a good result for less money.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Do curved screens use a regular wall bracket though? You can just buy the brackets that hang off a regular tv wall bracket to hang it underneath? Would hang within the curve of the tv and look pretty decent?
Lorthern Nights

ovalball wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:

You won't regret it - and a decent one is not really that expensive - the speakers actually cost me more than the processor (although do not waste money on expensive rear speakers). The centre, front sides and Sub woofer need to be good but the others don't matter much. I didn't spend a fortune on mine. The processor was about £500, the sub woofer about £200, the front sides, with stands, about £600 - the rest I had from a previous system. Mine's a fairly modest system but you can still get a good result for less money.
Yeah this system is pretty punchy. Speakers and subwoofer are from Paradigm and im putting ceiling ones in too, Anthem for the aimplifier, it will be the mutts nuts once it is in and I fortunately have the space for in the house for a purpose built cinema room and now ive got my money back for the summer hols we were planning it's a go, just hoping Mr Sunak saves me a few a bob.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Yeah this system is pretty punchy. Speakers and subwoofer are from Paradigm and im putting ceiling ones in too, Anthem for the aimplifier, it will be the mutts nuts once it is in and I fortunately have the space for in the house for a purpose built cinema room and now ive got my money back for the summer hols we were planning it's a go, just hoping Mr Sunak saves me a few a bob.
Sounds brilliant. Personally I want to use mine all the time, so I want it in the lounge rather than a seperate room. That, of course, comes with the disadvantage that Mrs Oval always wants it turned down - and you really need the volume up to get the best out of surround sound - life's a compromise though.
Lorthern Nights

ovalball wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Sounds brilliant. Personally I want to use mine all the time, so I want it in the lounge rather than a seperate room. That, of course, comes with the disadvantage that Mrs Oval always wants it turned down - and you really need the volume up to get the best out of surround sound - life's a compromise though.
:lol: :lol:

Aint it just. With 3 daughters my voting rights on what we watch are next to zero, so for when the big games are on or i want to immerse myself in some gory war movie type thing i will have my refuge (if i havent been pushed out to the curved telly with the shite sound).
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

The only drawback with my Sonos gear is the WiFi connection. It drops out on a regular basis and I have to keep toggling the WiFi on/off switch on my phone or even reset the router to get it to respond. Particularly annoying when I’m trying to turn off the motherfücking Trolls soundtrack my kid likes to listen to at full volume. Could this be something to do with having BT broadband extenders around the house scrambling that shit up :?:
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

I have Bose multiroom setup, though did look closely at Sonos when I bought it.

For me the advantage with Bose was the bluetooth functionality, the seperate remote (so you didn't have to keep using your phone or tablet just to change volume etc), slightly better sound (IMO) and preset buttons so you can just walk up to the speaker and push a button to listen to something. Sonos has more services (but Bose has more than enough for me) and the Bose app wasn't that great until recently (much more stable now).
Saint

Post by Saint »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

There's a new Bar - the Arc - with Atmos support. Reviews are pretty good
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Inch high hogs eye wrote:The only drawback with my Sonos gear is the WiFi connection. It drops out on a regular basis and I have to keep toggling the WiFi on/off switch on my phone or even reset the router to get it to respond. Particularly annoying when I’m trying to turn off the motherfücking Trolls soundtrack my kid likes to listen to at full volume. Could this be something to do with having BT broadband extenders around the house scrambling that shit up :?:
Maybe try a reinstall. I started with a 5 a few years back and hooked it up through a WiFi network through an Apple time capsule. I had previously used airport express’, air playing music to older Missions and this was the best set up at the time for what I had. Having then moved the 5 it was struggling for range, plus my router set up had changed to avoid passing through the time capsule, so had to factory reset and start again. As soon as I clicked that it was still running via the time capsule the penny dropped.

Doesn’t miss a beat now.
Last edited by mr bungle on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
cubby boi wrote:

Ovals,

It looks really good, but it’s NZ$1500. Also, I note in the specs that they recommend 4 inches between top of Arc and underside of tv if mounting below a tv. That’s a crappy look, IMO.
Saint

Post by Saint »

mr bungle wrote:
Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Ovals,

It looks really good, but it’s NZ$1500. Also, I note in the specs that they recommend 4 inches between top of Arc and underside of tv if mounting below a tv. That’s a crappy look, IMO.
That's kind of an inevitable result of what ATMOS does and how you can achieve it with a soundbar. You need some space above the bar to ensure it can create the vertical spatial effect.

Price wise, it's only a bit more expensive than the original Playbar was at launch. For an ATMOS soundbar, it's fairly well priced and considered good bang for buck
Inch high hogs eye

mr bungle wrote:
Inch high hogs eye wrote:The only drawback with my Sonos gear is the WiFi connection. It drops out on a regular basis and I have to keep toggling the WiFi on/off switch on my phone or even reset the router to get it to respond. Particularly annoying when I’m trying to turn off the motherfücking Trolls soundtrack my kid likes to listen to at full volume. Could this be something to do with having BT broadband extenders around the house scrambling that shit up :?:
Maybe try a reinstall. I started with a 5 a few years back and hooked it up through a WiFi network through an Apple time capsule. I had previously used airport express’, air playing music to older Missions and this was the best set up at the time for what I had. Having then moved the 5 it was struggling for range, plus my router set up had changed to avoid passing through the time capsule, so had to factory reset and start again. As soon as I clicked that it was still running via the time capsule the penny dropped.

Doesn’t miss a beat now.
I’m sure I’ve reinstalled over the years but might have another crack at it. It sometimes kicks in if I just leave it for a 5 mins or so. Odd.
Lorthern Nights

Saint wrote: There's a new Bar - the Arc - with Atmos support. Reviews are pretty good
Yep saw that but for the room I’m putting it in I just need a boost over the crap from the tv. Any serious watching will be done with the new setup.

Does have v good reviews though
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote: There's a new Bar - the Arc - with Atmos support. Reviews are pretty good
Yep saw that but for the room I’m putting it in I just need a boost over the crap from the tv. Any serious watching will be done with the new setup.

Does have v good reviews though
How well do soundbars work in a) square rooms with a tv in the corner - so only angled walls to bounce the rear sound off ? b) open plan rooms ??
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

A test for the audiophiles, shame Torq has been gassed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/ ... io-quality
Saint

Post by Saint »

Inch high hogs eye wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Doesn’t miss a beat now.
I’m sure I’ve reinstalled over the years but might have another crack at it. It sometimes kicks in if I just leave it for a 5 mins or so. Odd.
Sounds most likely a problem somewhere in the router - it's routing fine but not switching properly. Hard to diagnose, but really does sound like it's roting where it should be switching
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

mr bungle wrote:A test for the audiophiles, shame Torq has been gassed.

I got 8 out of 6. But then again, I can tell the brand of batteries being used in a Metal Zone pedal by ear.
Inch high hogs eye

Saint wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Doesn’t miss a beat now.
Sounds most likely a problem somewhere in the router - it's routing fine but not switching properly. Hard to diagnose, but really does sound like it's roting where it should be switching
Sounds about right. They seem to have a fix for WiFi issues in the shape of this thing. 90 notes though :?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/boost.html
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Saint wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Doesn’t miss a beat now.
Sounds about right. They seem to have a fix for WiFi issues in the shape of this thing. 90 notes though :?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/boost.html
I had almost pulled the trigger on one of those before I tried the reinstall. My issue was really intermittent, and took a little time to finally diagnose. Look within the app and check what router, WiFi booster the speaker is linked with.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

A5D5E5 wrote:

I got 8 out of 6. But then again, I can tell the brand of batteries being used in a Metal Zone pedal by ear.
:lol: Very good.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I love my Sonos system. Got a beam under the tv with 2 ones to supplement with another one in the kitchen. I didn’t set out to get ones as surround for the lounge but I’m never in the other rooms. I love how with Sonos you can slowly build your home system over time. I’ve spent quite a bit now but always just the one item here and there. Doesn’t feel so expensive. It’s so easy to set up and link each new speaker to your system.

I’m no audiophile and I can’t really debate the disparaging comments that Sonos is pretty subpar wrapped up in slick packaging and advertising. I did a fair bit of research before I first got into buying speakers though and reviews are universally good and they regularly top a lot of the best speaker lists you see on the web these days. They all full of shit or something?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Did it first with decent headphones and it was simple, 6/6

On tablet speakers, 3/6

On mobile phone speakers, 2/6
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Wilderbeast wrote:I love my Sonos system. Got a beam under the tv with 2 ones to supplement with another one in the kitchen. I didn’t set out to get ones as surround for the lounge but I’m never in the other rooms. I love how with Sonos you can slowly build your home system over time. I’ve spent quite a bit now but always just the one item here and there. Doesn’t feel so expensive. It’s so easy to set up and link each new speaker to your system.

I’m no audiophile and I can’t really debate the disparaging comments that Sonos is pretty subpar wrapped up in slick packaging and advertising. I did a fair bit of research before I first got into buying speakers though and reviews are universally good and they regularly top a lot of the best speaker lists you see on the web these days. They all full of shit or something?
Different target market. Unless your speakers are 6 foot high, isolated from external factors to the same degree as the LIGO gravity wave telescope and powered by a private nuclear reactor then the sound quality is always going to be poor.