2. Ash Dixon (C)
3. Siate Tokolahi
4. Paripari Parkinson
5. Josh Dickson
6. Shannon Frizell
7. Dillon Hunt
8. Marino Mikaele Tu’u
9. Aaron Smith
10. Mitch Hunt (replacing Ioane after a late injury)
11. Jona Nareki
12. Patelesio Tomkinson
13. Rob Thompson
14. Sam Gilbert
15. Vilimoni Koroi

RESERVES
16. Liam Coltman
17. Daniel Lienert-Brown
18. Jeff Thwaites
19. Manaaki Selby-Rickit
20. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
21. Kayne Hammington
22. Teihorangi Walden
23. Bryn Gatland

Unavailable due to injury: Ngane Punivai (Concussion), Nathan Vella (concussion), Nehe Milner-Skudder (Shoulder)

Season ending injuries: Sione Misiloi (foot), Thomas Umaga-Jensen (shoulder), James Lentjes (ankle), Tevita Nabura (Back), Conor Garden-Bachop (Back)

Chiefs

1. Aidan Ross (31)
2. Samisoni Taukei’aho (28)
3. Nepo Laulala (33)
4. Mitchell Brown (38)
5. Tupou Vaa’i**
6. Luke Jacobson (22)
7. Lachlan Boshier (49)
8. Pita Gus Sowakula (20)
9. Brad Weber (77) ©
10. Kaleb Trask (4)
11. Sean Wainui (30)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (74)
13. Quinn Tupaea (4)
14. Shaun Stevenson (48)
15. Damian McKenzie (76)

Reserves:
16. Bradley Slater (7)
17. Ryan Coxon (5)
18. Ross Geldenhuys (5)
19. Naitoa Ah Kuoi (6)
20. Dylan Nel (1)
21. Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (36)
22. Aaron Cruden (94)
23. Etene Nanai-Seturo (11)

Unavailable for selection:
Atu Moli (hips), Angus Ta’avao (quad), Laghlan McWhannell (knee), :isati-Milo Harris (shoulder), Michael Allardice (shoulder), Mitchell Karpik (back strain), Nathan Harris (shoulder), Sam Cane (lower back strain), Sam McNicol (ankle).

Social distancing be damned! Let's get this party started!!

Last edited by Maniototo Man on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
HouseOfPane

Re: SR Aoteoroa – Highlanders v Chiefs – Sat 13 June, 7.05pm

Post by HouseOfPane »

I can only hope the Highlanders have used the extended time wisely and hopefully they will be able to show some form of improvement from the mess that was earlier this year. May be a little harsh given the circumstances, but I'd question Mauger's future here if the status quo continues the way it has. Ioane back at 10 is a good start.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Chiefs are the team to beat for the tournament, so this is a massive game and a huge test for the Highlanders. The Highlanders will need to defend really well, and I have no doubt they'll be targeting the Chiefs set piece as an area that they might be able to gain some advantage in.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Bugger - Sam Cane out with a strained back
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

No doubt the strain was caused by holding up that massive neck if his.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Sam cane is a bit of a school club note / puts his body on the line... (chose with given bias)

Not sure about the set piece AC - especially scrum, maybe line out. Be interesting to see the teams. I think the Landers can play a game of high possession (maybe against Tahs?) ... but if they can control the game/game pace and retain 60% possession they will dos well I think.

Chiefs - on theoretical paper - should be better, even away.

Hopefully get to see this - the Wai/Otago games of the early 90’s are some of my favourites.
Maniototo Man

Re: SRA: Highlanders v Chiefs – Sat 13 June, 7.05pm - Match

Post by Maniototo Man »

Teams added to OP.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Looking forward to this one (not least for the absence of rugby on TV)!
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

C'mon you Chiefs!!!
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

You maybe right AC on the set piece - weak second role.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote:You maybe right AC on the set piece - weak second role.
Although otherwise a strong pack. Their lineout could be a bit iffy, but Warren Gatland is a very experienced and canny operator and I think they'll be good enough to win their own lineout ball. I suspect that Sowakula at 8 will be a key lineout target. Does anyone know much about debutante lock Tupou Vaa’i? I see he came through Wesley College and NZ U20's before making his senior debut for Taranaki, but I don't recall seeing him play.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Cruden benched. Is that a surprise?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote:C'mon you Chiefs!!!
Damn straight bro. We stand with Gats
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

hermie wrote:Cruden benched. Is that a surprise?
I guess Gatland's thinking might be that Cruden is leaving at the end of the season, and with only eight games in total for this season the time is right to blood a youngster with an eye towards 2021?
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

I only hope that the away teams don't play in the away strip. That would be too confusing.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

He has missed a fair bit of training due to tightness in his hammy. Coming from the bench is a precaution.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
I guess Gatland's thinking might be that Cruden is leaving at the end of the season, and with only eight games in total for this season the time is right to blood a youngster with an eye towards 2021?
Reckon that has a bearing Ali and Gatland also pretty keen on keeping players reasonable fresh, I have heard him talk about it , he reckons you have to use your whole squad , to keep everyone fresh and also makes sure they can slot in when required. Think everyone knows that playing 8 other kiwi teams is going result in players being out so you have to be prepared.

I pretty keen to see how Parkinson goes at lock for the Clan, I really like the look of this boy, think they missed him earlier.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Dan54. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Reckon that has a bearing Ali and Gatland also pretty keen on keeping players reasonable fresh, I have heard him talk about it , he reckons you have to use your whole squad , to keep everyone fresh and also makes sure they can slot in when required. Think everyone knows that playing 8 other kiwi teams is going result in players being out so you have to be prepared.

I pretty keen to see how Parkinson goes at lock for the Clan, I really like the look of this boy, think they missed him earlier.
There's a lot to like about him. My main observation is that he needs to use his size to try and dominate opponents more. He's just lacking that consistent intensity at this stage in his career.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Not a bad Landers side but I'm a little perplexed as to why they continually overlook their best midfield combo: Walden and Thompson.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

jdogscoop wrote:Not a bad Landers side but I'm a little perplexed as to why they continually overlook their best midfield combo: Walden and Thompson.
Only going from memory here but I think Walden was injured and missed some of the pre-COVID phony war. Plus they were fixted on 'the experiment'. :uhoh:

My guess is that this is simply the starting combo for this match and they will rotate the midfield a bit as the comp goes on. I'm happy to see Walden come on later when the gaps start to open up a bit - as long as he puts away the grubber. :x

Ticket sales are looking good with a crowd of about 20K expected.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm excited to watch world class Rugby with a real crowd, as opposed to the NRL's virtual crowd sound system.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Is the kick off time correct? Its listed at 4 pm on another site. Also NMS injured. What a surprise. He's glass. Don't know why they bothered.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Ali's Choice wrote:I'm excited to watch world class Rugby with a real crowd, as opposed to the NRL's virtual crowd sound system.
Didn't know they were doing that, assumed they'd just leave it as is. Watched a highlights video just now preparing to laugh but it actually wasn't terrible.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

fonzeee wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I'm excited to watch world class Rugby with a real crowd, as opposed to the NRL's virtual crowd sound system.
Didn't know they were doing that, assumed they'd just leave it as is. Watched a highlights video just now preparing to laugh but it actually wasn't terrible.
It's actually really good. Much better than the single round of crowd free games they played prior to the lockdown where there were no crowd noises at all. Last night's Eels vs Panthers match had an incredible atmosphere, which is amazing when you consider there was only 500 people in the stadium.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
It's actually really good. Much better than the single round of crowd free games they played prior to the lockdown where there were no crowd noises at all. Last night's Eels vs Panthers match had an incredible atmosphere, which is amazing when you consider there was only 500 people in the stadium.
I'm not a fan of it, it might be because the sound levels are too loud, but sometimes they're just off. Big cheer for a hit up. For the most part they do a decent job on the synching though.

It adds nothing to a match for me. But I guess it's better to keep the people who can't watch with no noise happy, as as much as I'm not a fan of it I can still happily watch a match with it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
I'm not a fan of it, it might be because the sound levels are too loud, but sometimes they're just off. Big cheer for a hit up. For the most part they do a decent job on the synching though.

It adds nothing to a match for me. But I guess it's better to keep the people who can't watch with no noise happy, as as much as I'm not a fan of it I can still happily watch a match with it.
I haven't noticed that. In fact if anything I think they underplay it a bit. A player scores a brilliant try or makes a great run and there is very little crowd noise used.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
fonzeee wrote:

I haven't noticed that. In fact if anything I think they underplay it a bit. A player scores a brilliant try or makes a great run and there is very little crowd noise used.[/quote]
That's my point, they sometimes get it wrong.

The first warriors game it wasn't too bad, last week it was awful to the point I nearly turned the sound off, this week it wasn't too bad again. As I said, I don't like it, but I don't think I dislike it as much as some dislike the no sound, so in that respect I don't mind them using it.

Anyway, last night I could barely hear it over my booing and hissing at Jason Judas Taumalolo.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

obelixtim wrote:Is the kick off time correct? Its listed at 4 pm on another site. Also NMS injured. What a surprise. He's glass. Don't know why they bothered.
I think it was originally slotted into that time, but they have pushed it back to 7.05pm due to broadcaster I think. In regards to NMS, they knew about his injury situation and he was never going to be ready for opening round, and may not even be spotted until the middle of competition I read somewhere. Also he's signed for next year as well, but yes, who knows how often he'll take to the field with all of his injury issues.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Josh Ioane out with a groin injury, so Mitch Hunt slotted back into 10. fudge sake
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Also provided Tomkinson can avoid giving away a red and picking up a subsequent 5 match ban as has happened the last two seasons now, he's a considerably better option at 12 than Walden.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:Josh Ioane out with a groin injury, so Mitch Hunt slotted back into 10. fudge sake
Ah, crap, that's a bugger! Only positive is getting to see Koroi starting at fullback now, but still!
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

HouseOfPane wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:Josh Ioane out with a groin injury, so Mitch Hunt slotted back into 10. fudge sake
Ah, crap, that's a bugger! Only positive is getting to see Koroi starting at fullback now, but still!
Personally would have had Koroi to start from the beginning. This will be a long evening against a very good Chiefs team. The back rows stack up pretty nicely though, as do the front rows. Still excited for this!
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:Also provided Tomkinson can avoid giving away a red and picking up a subsequent 5 match ban as has happened the last two seasons now, he's a considerably better option at 12 than Walden.
Yeah he needs to peg it back a bit - the physicality is needed, but not at the expense of being sent off and leaving the team a man down. Also with the subsequent game time missed, it's stagnating his ability to build some form.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:
Personally would have had Koroi to start from the beginning. This will be a long evening against a very good Chiefs team. The back rows stack up pretty nicely though, as do the front rows. Still excited for this!
Yeah same here, hopefully Koroi will provide some special moments in a Highlanders shirt - just has to deliver now. Agreed, it will be a tough game, but I guess every NZ v NZ team is. Hopefully the big crowd can spur them on!
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

HouseOfPane wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:
Yeah same here, hopefully Koroi will provide some special moments in a Highlanders shirt - just has to deliver now. Agreed, it will be a tough game, but I guess every NZ v NZ team is. Hopefully the big crowd can spur them on!
With Bryn Gatland to bring them home. :o
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

One of you plum better post a link
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

HouseOfPane wrote:
obelixtim wrote:Is the kick off time correct? Its listed at 4 pm on another site. Also NMS injured. What a surprise. He's glass. Don't know why they bothered.
I think it was originally slotted into that time, but they have pushed it back to 7.05pm due to broadcaster I think. In regards to NMS, they knew about his injury situation and he was never going to be ready for opening round, and may not even be spotted until the middle of competition I read somewhere. Also he's signed for next year as well, but yes, who knows how often he'll take to the field with all of his injury issues.
Partly broadcasters but also to cater for the weekend sports which are also back in full swing in NZ.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Maniototo Man wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:
With Bryn Gatland to bring them home. :o
Hell yeah, in Gats we trust! Make it easy for him dad!
brat

Post by brat »

Anyone watching the chiefs vs landers 2013 on sky now?

Amazing game
Normac

Post by Normac »

brat wrote:Anyone watching the chiefs vs landers 2013 on sky now?

Amazing game
Hell of a sequence that ended with the Nanai-Williams try