Air Force Boris

All things Rugby
Derwyn

Air Force Boris

Post by Derwyn »

Boris is spending £900,000 of Tax payers monies on repainting the VIP RAF plane red, white and blue.

Obviously twitter is in a fit of rage about it.
ukjim

Re: Air Force Boris

Post by ukjim »

I remember when the right wing press went into melt down over blair force one...
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Derwyn wrote:Boris is spending £900,000 of Tax payers monies on repainting the VIP RAF plane red, white and blue.

Must find a way of getting your twitter handle.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Derwyn wrote:Boris is spending £900,000 of Tax payers monies on repainting the VIP RAF plane red, white and blue.

Normal people are fine with it
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

I'll paint a giant knob and balls on it for £250.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I'm worried that if we get him one it might be at the menders or getting cleaned when he fancies a trip to the Bahamas. I reckon we should get him 2 Planes so he's always got one ready to go. In fact, let's get 3, just to be on the safe side.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

DAC_ wrote:I'm worried that if we get him one it might be at the menders or getting cleaned when he fancies a trip to the Bahamas. I reckon we should get him 2 Planes so he's always got one ready to go. In fact, let's get 3, just to be on the safe side.
A yacht should do
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

message #2527204 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:I'm worried that if we get him one it might be at the menders or getting cleaned when he fancies a trip to the Bahamas. I reckon we should get him 2 Planes so he's always got one ready to go. In fact, let's get 3, just to be on the safe side.
A yacht should do
:thumbup: :lol:
Saint

Post by Saint »

So even the "theory" that this plane has a dual purpose is being ignored now? At the end of the day I have no real objection to the plane being repainted, but I do object to the lack of clarity in the process.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Saint wrote:So even the "theory" that this plane has a dual purpose is being ignored now? At the end of the day I have no real objection to the plane being repainted, but I do object to the lack of clarity in the process.
In what way is the dual purpose being ignored?
Saint

Post by Saint »

OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:So even the "theory" that this plane has a dual purpose is being ignored now? At the end of the day I have no real objection to the plane being repainted, but I do object to the lack of clarity in the process.
Kind of hard for it to be a military plane when.it's painted in colours that advertise it's presence. Of course, the concept never really stood up to scrutiny in the first place, but now we're not even pretending
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Why is he not flying Easyjet? They must have a few planes sitting around doing nothing.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Kind of hard for it to be a military plane when.it's painted in colours that advertise it's presence. Of course, the concept never really stood up to scrutiny in the first place, but now we're not even pretending
Tristars and VC0s operated in overall white and blue colour schemes for years. Sadly this repaint seems to be limited to the tail and rear of the plane, something that RAF squadrons have been doing for years, apart from the tiger squadrons who sometimes paint stripes all over. ZZ336 could be painted bright pink it won’t stop her doing the tanking role, which at moment seems mostly to be supporting training and QRA if the serious plane spotters are to be believed.
Saint

Post by Saint »

OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Tristars and VC0s operated in overall white and blue colour schemes for years. Sadly this repaint seems to be limited to the tail and rear of the plane, something that RAF squadrons have been doing for years, apart from the tiger squadrons who sometimes paint stripes all over. ZZ336 could be painted bright pink it won’t stop her doing the tanking role, which at moment seems mostly to be supporting training and QRA if the serious plane spotters are to be believed.
And yet there's a reason why we paint these things a dull grey. I'm fairly sure that isn't the cheapest paint colour we could lay out hands on.

Like I say, I'm not actually averse to the concept of Blair Force One, or Johnsons Big Dick (I actually think there's a decent argument for a PM's plane for official business), but I do object to the lack of transparency in how we've got there
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
And yet there's a reason why we paint these things a dull grey. I'm fairly sure that isn't the cheapest paint colour we could lay out hands on.

Like I say, I'm not actually averse to the concept of Blair Force One, or Johnsons Big Dick (I actually think there's a decent argument for a PM's plane for official business), but I do object to the lack of transparency in how we've got there
The lack of transparency dates back 2015 when they went down the dual route, which in effect took one of the nine Voyagers out of normal service. Though the whole fleet and RAF were shafted to begin with by Labour’s PFI obsession to begin with.
Saint

Post by Saint »

OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:

The lack of transparency dates back 2015 when they went down the dual route, which in effect took one of the nine Voyagers out of normal service. Though the whole fleet and RAF were shafted to begin with by Labour’s PFI obsession to begin with.
I did say theory. I even put it in quotation marks. Simply following through on someone else's lies doesn't really do it for me
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:
OhNo wrote:
Saint wrote:

I did say theory. I even put it in quotation marks. Simply following through on someone else's lies doesn't really do it for me
In the same vein, I’m not really into inventing issues. The paint scheme is not going to really impact the planes tasking.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Was the cost of the red white and blue a true extra, or was the plane due for a new coat of paint anyways ?
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

To be fair they are saving money on the exit stairs.
Druid

Post by Druid »

This will be a world-beating paint job.

Lobby

Post by Lobby »

obelixtim wrote:Why is he not flying Easyjet? They must have a few planes sitting around doing nothing.
I see Guido Fawkes tried to claim yesterday that President Macron uses Air France, until Andrew Neil pointed out to him that

“The French President does NOT fly Air France! He has his own specially modified $270m Airbus A330-200 with its own command centre, message encryption and sound proof conference room. Two Dassult Falcon 7Xs are also part of presidential fleet for shorter trips.”

And that in total “the French President has nine planes and three helicopters at his disposal.“
Saint

Post by Saint »

backrow wrote:Was the cost of the red white and blue a true extra, or was the plane due for a new coat of paint anyways ?
I;m not sure, but I've just paid attention to the actual cost. I had thought it said £90,000, which is about right for a widebody. But £900,000? You could repaint at least 5 747s for that.
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

I gather that the plane is in, not just for a paint job, but also a normal planned service and avionics and system upgrades that are gradually being applied to all the fleet. The paint cost being quoted is for the complete package.

But hey we all know the press won't let the full facts get in the way of a sensational story
Saint

Post by Saint »

Phredd wrote:I gather that the plane is in, not just for a paint job, but also a normal planned service and avionics and system upgrades that are gradually being applied to all the fleet. The paint cost being quoted is for the complete package.

But hey we all know the press won't let the full facts get in the way of a sensational story
You would have thought that the No10 press office might actually point this out. Instead they're quite happily saying that the cost is for the paint job and the design.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Not painting "sick flames" on the side just shows how unfit to lead Boris is.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Well, that's pretty ugly. Could have been worse though
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Druid wrote:This will be a world-beating paint job.

God he looks looks barely human. Quality genes.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Primer or no primer ?
C69

Post by C69 »

AND-y wrote:
Druid wrote:This will be a world-beating paint job.

God he looks looks barely human. Quality genes.
Smells of Gammon
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Phredd wrote:I gather that the plane is in, not just for a paint job, but also a normal planned service and avionics and system upgrades that are gradually being applied to all the fleet. The paint cost being quoted is for the complete package.

That makes more sense. I couldn't believe the 900k for a paint job.
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

Well I don’t know about that. Grayling has been quiet for w while.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

I think the objection to Blair Force One was that the suggestion came soon after he'd scrapped Britannia.

Will the Queen be using this?
Saint

Post by Saint »

Rowdy wrote:I think the objection to Blair Force One was that the suggestion came soon after he'd scrapped Britannia.

Will the Queen be using this?
She has access, but she doesn't feel comfortable flying anymore due to her age. I think it's a while since she's flown anywhere.

The rest of the firm will usually either fly scheduled flights, or sometimes charter a plane if their schedule requires it