Working From Home - A Review

All things Rugby
Jim Lahey

Working From Home - A Review

Post by Jim Lahey »

Well folks, 3 months in, how has it been?

Pros:
-no commute. Filled my car up for the first time last week since the start of April.
-can get out for a cycle/run if I have a bit of downtime during the day
-limited communication with needy co-workers that used to call you about anything that popped into their heads
-got myself a standing desk and stole my two screens out of the office so have a pretty sweet home office instead of sitting on an uncomfortable chair all day
-have lost plenty of weight due to not eating out 2 or 3 times a week at lunch, and no biscuits beside the kettle

Cons:
-easily distracted
-had our third child in April and have had daddy duties split across the day, so I’ve had to break my work day up
-miss chatting shit with the decent ones at work
-there is no clean break at the end of the day like there was when you left the office
Leinsterman

Re: Working From Home - A Review

Post by Leinsterman »

My pros are the same as yours bar losing weight!

Cons: definitely the blurring between the end of work and "home time". Also not managing to chat with the hang I get in well with in work. We've done a few evening zoom calls but it's not the same. Can't wait for a few of us to meet up for a few drinks at some point whenever.
Biggest one though is trying to balance work with keeping the kids occupied and/or keeping them doing their schoolwork. It's particularly tough on them because they're always doing after-school activities.
Cosmic Kids Yoga only does so much and they pathalogically hate the morning Joe Wicks workouts now.
Actually scratch that, I fcuking hate Cosmic Kids Yoga with a passion.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Cons: the retired folks in my street are far noisier than any traffic/builder/fire engine that I used to consider a distraction at the office.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Sandstorm wrote:Cons: the retired folks in my street are far noisier than any traffic/builder/fire engine that I used to consider a distraction at the office.
I've recently discovered that the guy two doors up from me likes to machine his own replacement parts for his 4x4 in an open shed out the back... nearly every fcuking day
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

I'm have an office romance with my wife.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

danny_fitz wrote:I'm have an office romance with my wife.
No pros then?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Pool table?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Jim Lahey wrote:
No pros then?
:lol:
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

Leinsterman wrote:My pros are the same as yours bar losing weight!

Cons: definitely the blurring between the end of work and "home time". Also not managing to chat with the hang I get in well with in work. We've done a few evening zoom calls but it's not the same. Can't wait for a few of us to meet up for a few drinks at some point whenever.
Biggest one though is trying to balance work with keeping the kids occupied and/or keeping them doing their schoolwork. It's particularly tough on them because they're always doing after-school activities.
Cosmic Kids Yoga only does so much and they pathalogically hate the morning Joe Wicks workouts now.
Actually scratch that, I fcuking hate Cosmic Kids Yoga with a passion.
My girls have given up on cosmic kids yoga and moved onto something much worse. Debbie Doo TV.
I yearn for the days of cosmic kids yoga....
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Pros:

The daily commute is terrific. A 7 second walk from my office to my favourite chair on my patio.
I get to play with my 5 month old puppy every hour or so
Snacks are everywhere OMG
I'm not bothered by needy people in the office
Tracksuit pants are perfectly acceptable office wear
I have enough time to take the dog for a walk after work
PS4 break at lunchtime

Cons:

Had to homeschool my two sons for 6 weeks while working
Because of the above, I'd work from 6am to 9am and then from 2pm to 7pm
Found it really hard to switch off from work. Constantly going into the office to log into the work super computers to check on flood models etc
Snacks are everywhere OMG
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Debbie doo tv.

Just took a quick gander at that on YouTube. Jesus f**king Christ that's horrendous.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

iarmhiman wrote:Debbie doo tv.

Just took a quick gander at that on YouTube. Jesus f**king Christ that's horrendous.
F**king tell me about it!!!
DOB

Post by DOB »

sturginho wrote:

I'm not even going to try, lest it be seen over my shoulder and requested.

I can handle some of the cartoons; Nature Cat and Dinosaur Train at least have some educational value.

We had number 3 in January of last year. My paternity leave project was to build up a bike from a frame I'd had sitting in the garage for about 5 years. My Covid project became updating said bike with a more modern 11-speed groupset. It's now my bike of choice, if only I had time to ride it more.
Last edited by DOB on Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

i had a couple of weeks off and then got bored, so completely, but leisurely, sanded down and refilled my front door, porch and bay sash windows.

then i got really busy refitting this brewery/taproom and work is piling up, so god knows when i'm going to be able to repaint it.

#1stworldproblems
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

sturginho wrote:

Yeah f**king hell, I'll persevere with Jaime and her Cosmic yoga on the TV for another while, thanks very much. x(
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

There were no cons for me WFH, but I'm back in the office on Monday. :frown:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Pros
- Great commute.
- No problems with parking.
- A slight lie in as a result.
- Much quieter and easier to focus.
- Pants were optional
- The dog will forever remember it as the great happy time.
- Coffee was much better.
- Food was much better.
- Could fit it around chores (laundry, mowing lawn etc.)
- No office politics.

Cons
- Hard to separate work and home life.
- Did more hours and didn't take proper breaks as a result.
- Some of my work involves travel and can't be done remotely. That was all paused and is now waiting for me.
- Missed some of the people from the office.

Got back in the office proper on Monday and I'm so glad it's Friday!
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Same as most people I guess.

Pros:
No commute
Flexible hours
Access to snacks Thomas style (OMG)

Cons:
Live in small apartment and GF is super loud in her online meetings
No clean line between work and home
Put on a decent chunk of weight - no walk to work, no gym, extra snacks
Drink more on Fridays (today! yay!)
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Only things I would add which aren't here:

Pros:
Eating a better diet as can cook all my lunches and dinners

Managed to move house, buy a load of furniture and assemble it all outwith the weekend and evening (being able to start before work and begin again at 5)

Have managed to spend more time on my postgrad outwith work

Have had a lot more time for other time-consuming activities e.g. investment portfolio and reading

Cons:

Drink far more than I did previously, used to have a few at Thursday pub quiz and go to pub on Friday and Saturday, nothing outside that. Went through a phase of drinking about 6 bottles every night of the week (far more on weekends) but have ceased these last few weeks.

Spend more time on here :D

Hoping to get back to 3 days in and 2 days out of the office and have that as a permanent arrangement
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Caley_Red wrote:Only things I would add which aren't here:
Hoping to get back to 3 days in and 2 days out of the office and have that as a permanent arrangement
COVID has complete changed how the company I work for functions. Working from home was previously seen as something you did as a last resort. Now pretty much everyone has at least one day working from home. My kids are back at school so I'm finding it really bloody good being on my own. Currently have some tunes blasting in the house, a kelpie puppy at my feet and a few ideas kicking around in my head regarding lunch. My kids have also started back at rugby training this week so I'll be able to go down with them rather than flying past and picking them up at 630.

In terms of company performance, this has been the three most profitable months in my company's 20 year history and it doesn't look like slowing down.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Thomas wrote:
COVID has complete changed how the company I work for functions. Working from home was previously seen as something you did as a last resort. Now pretty much everyone has at least one day working from home. My kids are back at school so I'm finding it really bloody good being on my own. Currently have some tunes blasting in the house, a kelpie puppy at my feet and a few ideas kicking around in my head regarding lunch. My kids have also started back at rugby training this week so I'll be able to go down with them rather than flying past and picking them up at 630.

In terms of company performance, this has been the three most profitable months in my company's 20 year history and it doesn't look like slowing down.

That's excellent news, there are a few other interesting byproducts if this does become the norm: less urban crowding, less localized house price inflation and better 'community'.
What I mean by that last point is people will have more time to do more community-orientated things e.g. I have just moved and am thinking about joining the community council. To the determinants of many a local area, these forums are almost entirely staffed by retirees and hence, the 'concerns of the community' at local government are channeled entirely through a narrow demographic which doesn't reflect the desires of the community at large.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I've worked at home several times before so am used to it.

The new fun thing is having a dog! So much more fun and the snacking has been offset by walking it 3 or 4 times a day.

Also, not eating "Healthy" looking food at work helps.

My contract is up next month so it will be interesting to see what the Interview/Onboarding is like. Presently, we're not expecting people back into the office full-time until September and the new office fitout is designed for more space.

It looks like it's the death of Hot-Desking as well - thank god!

It's also exposed the useless who manage to hide in an office - it's very obvious that their input is missing working from home.

I'd be happy working 4 days from home and 1 day in the office (with extra if necessary for meetings).
assfly

Post by assfly »

It was dreadful for me. Felt like a student; drinking tea, eating toast and trying to manage a 50/50 split of work and pron.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Thomas wrote:

The last 3 months have been record months for my company too.
Of course, Covid is being used as an excuse for a wage freeze.
I’m also a little nervous on what happens in 6 months when the govt subsidies start to dry up.
Mind, engineering is usually a good recipient for stimulus packages so it might be roses.
Interestingly the UK and US branches are getting smashed, while Canada and Australia are doing well. NZ are doing pretty well and the plums are back in the office too
Saint

Post by Saint »

One thing for those who don't often WFH to recognise, this is not typical WFH, especially if you have kids or are stuck in a flat, etc. I WFH a fair amount normally, and this is a very different experience, partly because everyone else is WHF also, and partly because until recently getting out and about has been difficult; even now there's not much differentiation between weekdays and weekends.

I've found that it has forced me to be more disciplined in finishing the work day - typically I would keep an eye on emails during the evening etc, whereas now I call a hard stop at 5pm (barring the occasional need for a conference call to the West Coast), and I point blank do not work overr the weekend anymore.

Business-wise, May was our first year on year monthly fall in 16 years, but it looks like for this quarter we're just about going to manage to grow on last year, albeit missing target a lot (we budget around 20% growth per annum); the full year is touch and go as we were running nicely ahead of budget till this started. Planning our next FY targets has just become VERY difficult seeing as that year starts in August; we're guessing the recovery won't really start in ernest till December/January. On the flip side we've saved a bucketload of cash on reward trips, dinners, team night out budgets, building electricity/water etc. so NET profit may actually run out ahead of target.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Business-wise, May was our first year on year monthly fall in 16 years, but it looks like for this quarter we're just about going to manage to grow on last year, albeit missing target a lot (we budget around 20% growth per annum); the full year is touch and go as we were running nicely ahead of budget till this started. Planning our next FY targets has just become VERY difficult seeing as that year starts in August; we're guessing the recovery won't really start in ernest till December/January. On the flip side we've saved a bucketload of cash on reward trips, dinners, team night out budgets, building electricity/water etc. so NET profit may actually run out ahead of target.

You’re surviving and that’s great. What do you think will become the new normal regarding corporate travel ? The knock on are huge.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

From a company point of view, WFH after covid will be interesting as they will still be responsible for ensuring that H&S, Factory Acts, General Workers legislation is not only adhered to,but seen to be adhered to, and recorded as such. And that, not only will be difficult to achieve, but if achieved, will negate the reasons many people choose to WFH in the first place. You then have to overcome insurance implications, who pays for the home office, does the company legally rent space from you etc.etc. That's a legal/HR minefield.

Before covid allowing people to work from home was done strictly on a grace and favour basis, where people requested the privilege, and if granted signed away a lot of their rights. It also allowed management to refuse the privilege if they didn't think it suited particular employees.

I don't think WFH will become much more commonplace than it was. I suspect a few more will work 2 days from home, or perhaps a week here and there, but it will still be on a grace and favour basis, with no employee having the right to do so.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

From a company point of view, WFH after covid will be interesting as they will still be responsible for ensuring that H&S, Factory Acts, General Workers legislation is not only adhered to,but seen to be adhered to, and recorded as such. And that, not only will be difficult to achieve, but if achieved, will negate the reasons many people choose to WFH in the first place. You then have to overcome insurance implications, who pays for the home office, does the company legally rent space from you etc.etc. That's a legal/HR minefield.

Almost all jobs in the private sector in the UK have flexible contracts that mean almost none of the above applies. The interesting thing is what will be claimable tax wise for the office space provided not if it’s “rented” by the company....

I don't think WFH will become much more commonplace than it was. I suspect a few more will work 2 days from home, or perhaps a week here and there, but it will still be on a grace and favour basis, with no employee having the right to do so.

Literally the only place I’ve seen that opinion , will be amazed if you’re correct. Even at 1 metre distances most London offices will only be operating at 1/3 - 1/2 capacity until at least the end of the year.

These changes will be permanent.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote:

Almost all jobs in the private sector in the UK have flexible contracts that mean almost none of the above applies. The interesting thing is what will be claimable tax wise for the office space provided not if it’s “rented” by the company....

Literally the only place I’ve seen that opinion , will be amazed if you’re correct. Even at 1 metre distances most London offices will only be operating at 1/3 - 1/2 capacity until at least the end of the year.

The 1m rule will be gone by Christmas.

Have you ever been management in a large organisation ?
Last edited by camroc1 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The 1m rue will be gone by Christmas.

Not according to the large business in London that I know who are renting local hubs for home workers to cluster in away from London.
Last edited by bimboman on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Saved a fortune by eating lunch at home instead of heading out to the High Street each day and spend £5+ on a sandwich/burger/pizza slice/pint. :thumbup:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The 1m rue will be gone by Christmas.

Not according to the large business in London that I know are renting local hubs for home workers to cluster in away from London.
Well then, in the rest of Europe.

We know the UK has fúcked up covid in every way it could.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Quite chilled about wfh. Single with no kids, so don’t have that added distraction. Being at home means I can keep on top of bits of cleaning and other household crap more so it seems less of a chore. Desk set up in the spare room, which helps as I can close the door at the end of the day and it’s done, so helps to draw a line. Was doing ok with weight, but the last few weeks have been bad, mainly because I discovered I could get deliveroo to go and buy crisps and biscuits from the coop :lol: :lol: Lots of chat about wfh more regularly in the future, probably a couple of days a week. I might try going to compressed hours as well. Unlikely to be back in the office until October, the main doubt though is what happens with conferences, workshops, company visits - that was about a third of my job before this. Also means I’m not that busy, but no point in putting me on furlough as it’s a government job anyway.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Well then, in the rest of Europe.

We know the UK has fúcked up covid in every way it could.

It ain’t been great, still better than lots of Europe mind.

1 meter distancing will be everywhere while we have outbreak after outbreak. London is ganna have a lot of empty space and lots of cheaper retail. Also what chains like Wagamama , Itsu etc do is fail.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

camroc1 wrote: I don't think WFH will become much more commonplace than it was. I suspect a few more will work 2 days from home, or perhaps a week here and there, but it will still be on a grace and favour basis, with no employee having the right to do so.
I think you mean that no employee will have the right to do so permanently?
I know of quite a few organisations who are changing their workplace policies to allow more flexibility for workers, working from home a few days a week etc. However, I agree that what we have now won't become the "new norm" - many people just don't have adequate room in their house/apartment to WFH permanently (kids or no kids running around).
backrow

Post by backrow »

Pros - porn

Cons - I have cramp in my hands and forearms so that I now resemble a T-rex with a bit of red mist where my cock used to be
Saint

Post by Saint »

bimboman wrote:

You’re surviving and that’s great. What do you think will become the new normal regarding corporate travel ? The knock on are huge.
The "New Normal"/"Next Normal" discussion......

Firstly I think you have to recognise that this isn't a static position; even before COVID, there were changes to corporate travel, and some will become more entrenched, some will disappear, and some will evolve. If my crystal ball was perfect I'd be making a LOT more money than I currently do but my best guess is something like the following:

1 - In the short term, corporate travel is largely off the table. There will be some - I may have an emergency trip to Canada coming up for instance - but it will be the outlier.

2 - The implications of more regular WFH haven't fully been thought through yet. It's paradoxical, but in the medium term I could see this actually driving MORE corporate travel - the couple of days a month in a corporate office may not be in your "local" corporate office. So for that sort of timescale you're talking about late 2021/early 2022 for this to become apparent

3 - In the longer term the larger conventions will become more important/major events. I've recently been virtually attending two conventions (Cisco EMEAR Collaboration Conference, and Cisco Live US) and it's not remotely the same - the breakout sessions, random chat at the bar with fellow attendees, even just walking round the convention floor, simply doesn't exist and cannot be replicated virtually - and with less general day to day contact, this type of experience once or twice a year will be far more valuable. So while the big convention centres and the travel business they drive are off the table now, they're going to be bigger than ever by 2024.

So, if you extrapolate that together with the general awareness of hygiene etc then I would guess the following. By 2024, corporate travel will be much the same, if not higher, in terms of volume than it is today. But the experience will be different; the days of ever "densifying" wide bodies are probably gone, and ideas of going 11 abreast in a 77X are probably off the table. I suspect that there will be an expansion of Premium Economy type seats, probably at the expense of First (BA was already moving in this direction). Airlines that can afford it will be canning their older fleets as rapidly as they can in favour of jets that can offer better air filtering etc - so A350, A330neo, 787, 77X etc. in order to gain a competitive advantage, either in terms of demand or charging more (probably demand).

But you will probably see more people on corporarte travel, but less travel miles per person - so the Gold cards, Paltinum cards etc who get the royal treatment from airlines will be thinner on the ground.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Sandstorm wrote:Saved a fortune by eating lunch at home instead of heading out to the High Street each day and spend £5+ on a sandwich/burger/pizza slice/pint. :thumbup:
Is a pint or two at lunchtime still a thing in the UK? I remember being shocked 35 years ago when over for a 5ns game at the amount of drinking being done by office types. God knows I did more than my share of boozing at that time, and for a number of years subsequently, but returning from lunch smelling of booze wouldn’t have been tolerated. The only exception would have been made for office outings, and even then it might have been a g&t or a couple of glasses of wine.
Saint

Post by Saint »

camroc1 wrote:From a company point of view, WFH after covid will be interesting as they will still be responsible for ensuring that H&S, Factory Acts, General Workers legislation is not only adhered to,but seen to be adhered to, and recorded as such. And that, not only will be difficult to achieve, but if achieved, will negate the reasons many people choose to WFH in the first place. You then have to overcome insurance implications, who pays for the home office, does the company legally rent space from you etc.etc. That's a legal/HR minefield.

Before covid allowing people to work from home was done strictly on a grace and favour basis, where people requested the privilege, and if granted signed away a lot of their rights. It also allowed management to refuse the privilege if they didn't think it suited particular employees.

I'm seeing a lot of companies eyeing their property rental costs, especially those that have large estates in Central London. There's going to be a permanent downsizing of much of this, as the costs simply outweigh any of those issues
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Saint wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The "New Normal"/"Next Normal" discussion......

Firstly I think you have to recognise that this isn't a static position; even before COVID, there were changes to corporate travel, and some will become more entrenched, some will disappear, and some will evolve. If my crystal ball was perfect I'd be making a LOT more money than I currently do but my best guess is something like the following:

1 - In the short term, corporate travel is largely off the table. There will be some - I may have an emergency trip to Canada coming up for instance - but it will be the outlier.

2 - The implications of more regular WFH haven't fully been thought through yet. It's paradoxical, but in the medium term I could see this actually driving MORE corporate travel - the couple of days a month in a corporate office may not be in your "local" corporate office. So for that sort of timescale you're talking about late 2021/early 2022 for this to become apparent

3 - In the longer term the larger conventions will become more important/major events. I've recently been virtually attending two conventions (Cisco EMEAR Collaboration Conference, and Cisco Live US) and it's not remotely the same - the breakout sessions, random chat at the bar with fellow attendees, even just walking round the convention floor, simply doesn't exist and cannot be replicated virtually - and with less general day to day contact, this type of experience once or twice a year will be far more valuable. So while the big convention centres and the travel business they drive are off the table now, they're going to be bigger than ever by 2024.

So, if you extrapolate that together with the general awareness of hygiene etc then I would guess the following. By 2024, corporate travel will be much the same, if not higher, in terms of volume than it is today. But the experience will be different; the days of ever "densifying" wide bodies are probably gone, and ideas of going 11 abreast in a 77X are probably off the table. I suspect that there will be an expansion of Premium Economy type seats, probably at the expense of First (BA was already moving in this direction). Airlines that can afford it will be canning their older fleets as rapidly as they can in favour of jets that can offer better air filtering etc - so A350, A330neo, 787, 77X etc. in order to gain a competitive advantage, either in terms of demand or charging more (probably demand).

But you will probably see more people on corporarte travel, but less travel miles per person - so the Gold cards, Paltinum cards etc who get the royal treatment from airlines will be thinner on the ground.

:thumbup: , terrifying for the London cabbies I know though.